Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Brady Hoke Suspends Wide Receiver Csont’e York

Nutty's picture
August 3, 2014 at 10:21pm
78 Comments

“Csont’e York (WR — sophomore) is suspended indefinitely for failing to meet team standards and will not report for fall camp. We demand that every person in our program represent the University of Michigan and the Michigan football program the right way on and off the field. When people fall short of that, there are consequences.”

I found this humorous considering Frank Clark the felon.

M Man's picture

You really gonna do the Frank Clark/felon thing again?  He's not a felon.  He has no felony conviction; no judgment of conviction.  That's the law.  I know a lot of you don't like hearing that from me.  Sorry.  But I'm right.

-10 HS
Nutty's picture

Michigan's Frank Clark pleads guilty to felony charge of second-degree home invasion

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2012/09/michigans_frank_clark_pleads_g.html

So Frank Clark "represented the University of Michigan and the Michigan football program the right way on and off the field"?

+19 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

"He's paid a lot of consequences internally" said Hoke...... So where is the consistency?.......ohh I get it now......Frank Clark helps win games and can't not be on the sidelines for more than one game....Crystal Clear

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+10 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

What I am most amused by, is that he committed almost the exact same offense as Cam Newton did. Only Urban Meyer dismissed the future Heisman winner from his team while Brady Hoke not only chose to keep him, but he also now represented the Wolverines at the B1G media days. 

With respect to this York incident, I'm surprised Hoke isn't claiming that the kid has a "minor injury" a la Gibbons. 

+8 HS
M Man's picture

As you know, I've never been one to pick on Urban Meyer.  Coach Meyer's disciplinary record at OSU is impeccable as far as I know.

But I don't think Coach Meyer dismissed Cam Newton, and I don't think Newton faced only the criminal charge.  There was more, right?

-10 HS
Nutty's picture

What is your point? Hoke has allowed players accused of rape, felony home invasion and other crimes to continue to play then says his suspension of this player is due to honor? The fact remains that Newton was gone from UF. Hoke has done nothing but make excuses for his players.

+10 HS
M Man's picture

"...rape..."  That's Brendan Gibbons.  Originally accused in 2009, when Brady Hoke was the coach at San Diego State.  No charges ever filed.  I've fought the details of Gibbons' case here before.  Try "search."

"Felony home invasion."  That's Frank Clark.  Ditto.

And I still don't think that Urban Meyer dismissed Cam Newton.  That was my point.

-10 HS
Nutty's picture

Gibbons was a player under Hoke. Clark is a criminal. Hoke has made excuses for both.

+11 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

I thought maybe your point was to accumulate down votes

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+3 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

It turns out M Man was right on this one. Newton transferred voluntarily.

This article details how Newton bailed because he was facing an academic hearing for cheating.  http://www.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Source-says-Newton-left-F... And, "Newton turned in a second paper to the instructor, but that paper was later found to have been purchased off the Internet, according to FoxSports.com. He was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida's Student Conduct Committee during the spring semester of 2009 but instead transferred to Blinn College."

Basically, article says he was going to get hammered/expelled at his Spring 2009 hearing, so he cut and ran in January 2009.  Newton was a dubious character, a thief and an academic fraud, but Meyer didn't kick him off the team.

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I'm right.

Impossible. You're a Michigan fan.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+16 HS
WOLFofOHIO's picture

ideas dont determine whos right..Power determines whos right..im on eleven warriors with all of my eleven warrior army and 11W faithful. so i have the power. So IM right.

there is no greater joy than watching Michigan get slammed. in anything

PharmBuck's picture

He at one point WAS a felon. No amount of paperwork and lawyer-ness can change that.

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got 9 guys who better go do it again," said Meyer. "Do it a little harder next time."

+6 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

He plead guilty to a felony, therefor he's a felon.  Spin it however you like, but he committed the crime and admitted to it.

+2 HS
CincyOSU's picture

If we are going by technicalities, then he is correct...Clark is not a felon. I know that sounds odd seeing as he admitted to committing a felony, but he is not a felon(technically).

Either way, I think someone may have pissed in M Man's cheerios this morning. I usually agree with a lot of his opinions(aside from the whole Gibbons issue) but today seems a little out of character for him.

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

Yes, he is.  The fact that he committed and plead guilty to a felony makes him a felon.  Him learning to follow the rules after in order to get it removed from his record doesn't change that.  He technically doesn't have a felony record, but he is and will always be a felon.

+3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

but he is and will always be a felon.

No, he's not. He might be a convicted felon, but if it's expunged from his record it's as if it never happened. He will never have to disclose this info nor will it show up on an employment background check. As I said before, I don't really know why M Man is trying to defend Clark, but it doesn't change the fact that in the eyes of the law he is right.

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

The fact that he plead guilty to a felony doesn't just go away when his record gets wiped by some BS deal.  Like I said, he doesn't have a felony record.  He's still a man that admitted committing a felony in a court of law, hence he's a felon.  Just because he doesn't have to disclose that fact when he finally gets around to putting his Degree in General Studies to use doesn't change that.  Pretty easy to spin opinions one way or the other, but the fact at the center is always the fact that he plead guilty of committing a felony.  If it makes some scUM fans feel better about him that their sorry state has some BS legislature in place to give him a 2nd chanc, thats their deal but it doesn't change the fact that he's an admitted felon.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

"Pled."  Past tense of "plead." 

+1 HS
ghalephoto's picture

Would those of you who upvote this person please leave stage left.  You don't reward trolls and you don't reward trolls that refuse to admit they are wrong.

-5 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Maybe you should exit stage left...

Just because he is a UM fan doesn't make him a troll...the majority of rational OSU fans welcome him here. And ps, he's right(technically) about Clark...he's NOT a felon.

original buckeye's picture

The reason the whole felon thing is important is because it's a big thing--a big negative thing--to have committed a felony.  While Clark may not be a convicted felon due to his participation in some sort of diversion program, he certainly did plead guilty to a felony.  M Man's attempting to divert attention from the fact that Hoke suspended Clark for all of one game by repeating that Clark isn't a convicted felon, all the while brushing under the rug the fact that Clark pled guilty to a felony.  Again, felonies are bad things. 

+3 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

I disagree.  M Man is definitely NOT attempting to divert attention from anything.  He is stating legal facts.  He went into detail about the specific youth program that applied to Clark's case.  He's not diverting; instead he is tackling the issue head on, backed up with knowledge of both the specific case and the law in general. And, your suspicion that M Man is trying to justify and  vindicate Hoke's disciplinary record by way of a technicality may be right, but it's just your theory.  If you want to know what M Man's opinion is on the discipline doled out to F. Clark, you could ask M Man directly.  He's a forthcoming poster and will probably give you a forthcoming opinion.

In fact, below, poster AJBOR asked M Man a question, and his response was:

That's a straight question, so I'll give you a straight answer.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

their sorry state has some BS legislature in place to give him a 2nd chance

Actually most, if not all, "sorry" states, including Ohio, offer this on a case by case basis. He may be a convicted felon, but if he abides by his court mandated guidelines then his record goes away as if it never happened.

I'm not defending Clark or his actions, I'm just pointing out how the law works. If you still want to call him a felon, that's on you. But in the eyes of the law, he is not a felon.

Oyster's picture

Cincy,

but if it's expunged from his record it's as if it never happened.

The Sugar Bowl never happened either since it was expunged.  But I know what happened.

+7 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Yea I saw it too...but officially it didn't happen just like with Clark.

OSUStu's picture

Still, whether or not it has been disappeared in officiality does not wipe the slate clean from what happened in reality.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+6 HS
jonping67's picture

But it's okay for the suck up north to target a freshman kick returner that is 5'-10" 175 lbs? On and off the field my ass!

Can't wait until late November!

GO BUCKS!

+6 HS
Mercurius's picture

Must have been pretty egregious if you're allowed to stay on the team after rape, home invasion, robbery and/or assault.

+9 HS
BassDropper's picture

No Gallon, no Dilieo and now no Csonte York...Who's gonna catch the ball besides Funchess?

DIRECTIONER

+5 HS
sgehrich's picture

The opposing team's cornerbacks. 

+31 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

The only correct answer.

LEBRON

+4 HS
buckskin's picture

Paging Von Bell, paging Eli Apple, paging Cam Burrows.

+2 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

Ummmmm..... Peppers, obviously!

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+4 HS
lsjSnail's picture

duh, hes going to throw it to himself and even kickoff to himself after catching his own TD pass.

M Man's picture

No Gallon, no Dilieo and now no Csonte York...Who's gonna catch the ball besides Funchess?

We missed Amara Darboh last year.  He sat out the year with a broken foot.  The previous spring he was seen as Gardner's favorite wideout.  It was Darboh, not Funchess, who was expected to have a breakout 2013.  Jake Butt will be back by the time we play OSU as well...

So, Darboh, Chesson, Dennis Norfleet (Norfleet is a real wild card if he is full-time in the slot position) Freddy Canteen, Drake Harris, Jaron Dukes, and we've actually got a large handful of young guys out of which we need only a couple to step up.  Wyatt Shallman, Khalid Hill, Ian Bunting, Moe Ways... We've got room to redshirt a number of our incoming freshmen.

+5 HS
Nutty's picture

Do they "represent the University of Michigan and the Michigan football program the right way on and off the field"?

+3 HS
Nutty's picture

So some of your non-criminals have highlights in a loss against OSU?

+13 HS
Rob Reese's picture

That's a sweet picture.

Wasn't that from Michigan's best win last year, a 1 point home-field loss to tOSU?

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+19 HS
Nutty's picture

That is all he's got. Thank God I'm a Buckeye.

+3 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Michigan's 1 point loss to OSU was Michigan's best win last year.

original buckeye's picture

I saw that game too.  You lost.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Can you list their college career... receptions,yards,TD's for us so we have a better understanding of what we are dealing with here?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
blocko330's picture

Peppers

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

bucks4nuts's picture

BUTT!

"To The House"

BuckeyeStevo's picture

As usual, *ichigan did not win the Game...  First post ever on here. Long time follower, first time poster! 

+16 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I know the feeling, I read it religiously for a few years before registering.  +1

+2 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Love this thread. So much Buckeye pride, so much *ichigan patheticness.

+4 HS
e135800's picture

The clark bit reminds me of a Stripes scene.

Army recruiter:  "Ever been convicted of a felony?"

Bill Murray  Frank Clark: "Convicted?.. nope never convicted."

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That's hilarious E135 That movie brings us all back a few years.

+1 HS
HoopHal's picture

Has Lewan represented Michigan both on and off the field?

+2 HS
Poe McKnoe's picture

I've been gone for a while, when did M Man go off the deep end?

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I think he bathed in that water from Toledo

+2 HS
M Man's picture

That's curious; I was going to ask if some of the Lake Erie algae had flowed down the Olentangy and the Scioto, because the ElevenWarriors boyze seem oddly worked up over some off-field things that are either old, resolved, or mostly unknown.  Must be that time in August when football can't get going soon enough in mid-Ohio.  You need some lakes or something to cool off.

So far in this thread I've claimed:

1. Frank Clark is not "a convicted felon" (quoting another Buckeye from another thread);
  2. Urban Meyer did not dismiss Cam Newton, as it has been suggested (by yet another Buckeye) in comparing Hoke and Meyer, and;
  3. As I am so wont to do, I went out of my way to suggest that Urban Meyer's record of disciplining the football team by the banks of the Olentangy is exemplary as far as I know.

I'm right about all of those things.  Thank you very little.

+4 HS
AJBor41's picture

M Man - I'm not following you on the Frank Clark thing. Did he not plead guilty to a felony charge of second-degree home invasion?

+2 HS
M Man's picture

That's a straight question, so I'll give you a straight answer.

Frank Clark's crime involved a MacBook Air, valued at between $1000 and $2000; he took it from a dorm room down the hall from his own room.  Because of the value of the laptop, it was not a misdemeanor.  (The 'home invasion' part is too legally mundane for these purposes.)  Clark was charged with a felony; as part of his plea, he was sentenced under Michigan's Holmes Youthful Trainee Act.  The HYTA is basically for young people between ages 18 and 21 (age limit is applied strictly) with clean records.  They do not get judgments of conviction, pending the completion of probation and other terms (usually a fine, court costs and almost always restitution).  If such defendants do a good job and stay clean and do everything asked of them, the (felony) charge is dismissed.  "Expunged" is a term some people use but that's wrong.  There is a separate statute for expungements which is different.  Expungements in Michigan can be obtained for misdemeanors (one count only, one time only) only, and only after five years.  But anyone can get an expungement regardless of age.  The HYTA actualy works very well in my experience; taking college-age kids who do one stupid thing, and avoiding the lifelong career-debilitating issue of a (felony) conviction.  As long as they immediately straighten up and fly right.  A felony could not otherwise ever be expunged.

Frank Clark has, to the best of my knowledge, been a model citizen since the stupid thing done when he was a Freshman.

+2 HS
AJBor41's picture

So he's currently a convicted felon, in the sense that he is guilty of a felony. However, he has the ability, through good behavior, to drop the felony charge from his record?

+2 HS
M Man's picture

No; it is already done.  Done and gone, something like two years ago.  Frank Clark has a clean record, period, with no further obligations to anyone as far as I know.  He is no more of a "convicted felon" than you or I.  I presume you are not a felon.

+3 HS
AJBor41's picture

Interesting, and thanks for the info, but...

+5 HS
Nutty's picture

No; it is already done.  Done and gone, something like two years ago.  Frank Clark has a clean record, period, with no further obligations to anyone as far as I know.  He is no more of a "convicted felon" than you or I.  I presume you are not a felon.

I never stole a laptop and never plead guilty to a felony. So no, it isn't the same. He committed a crime (a felony) and through deals within the legal system it was expunged from his record. That does not mean it is the same as me or anyone else who never committed a felony. To say otherwise is just ignorant. Most people go through life without committing a felony. Clark isn't one of them.

+3 HS
hodge's picture

Probably about the same time the 11W commentariat went from accepting his rational, reasoned opinions and insights to serially downvoting and discounting everything he says.

If M Man's gotten chippier, it's because everyone here has gotten chippier towards him.

+5 HS
Oyster's picture

It seems as though that happens to everyone now.  Downvotes for posts you don't agree with, and they are so easy to spot.

+3 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

Well said, Hodge. You beat me to it by 20 minutes. I've noticed over the last 2 years, that as 11W has grown & welcomed in more & more new members, that the discourse with our non-OSU contributors has gotten testier. We're very quick to downvote, and take offense. Even to well thought out & well articulated points. Unfortunately, a lot of 11Wers don't know M Man's (and others) contributions to this site, as they bring the enemy's perspective to us & give us some damn good arguments to chew over. Especially during the off-season! Actually, because of M Man, I lurk around Mgoblog and a Nebraska site, and had some really good interaction on a Nebraska site. I may do the same with Maryland & Rutgers this year.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+3 HS
hodge's picture

Exactly. As new members have joined, the site's discourse has changed. Us old-timers are now the minority, and our standards don't always jive with the dominant culture of the site. 

+3 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Agree with you Hodge, I don't post as often anymore.  <sad face>  It has been pretty chippy here lately.   M Man is usually pretty reasonable.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Probably about the same time the 11W commentariat went from accepting his rational, reasoned opinions and insights to serially downvoting and discounting everything he says.

Hodge;

About once every quarter I have to say the same thing; I am treated better here at 11W than most of you would be at MGoBlog.  That is to 11W's great credit and, I hope very much, to the benefit of 11W's content.

The MGoBoard is bigger, and dumber, than the 11W forums.  Of course the content provided by Brian Cook and his co-conspirators at MGoBlog is superb, in addition to Brian being a terrific guy.  And of course the content at 11W is brilliant.  You don't need me to tell you that.  11W just happens to be running a very nice Forum right now.  The MGoBoard has gradually become a maize and blue Bucknuts.

It's just a bit of apples and oranges.  By being the dominant Michigan blog, MGoBlog is so big that it attracts a lot of stupidity to the message boards.  I'm so happy that 11W is what it is, with other larger forums to bleed off the lower level commentary.

There's a thread right now on MGoBlog about the OSU band alumni becoming activist to reinstate Waters.  It is a thread in which there is not merely a number of wildly partisan posts.  Virtually every single one gets something wrong.  It is wrong, on top of wrong, on top of wrong.  Low-level, adolescent fanboy stuff.  Not all posts are as bad as what is exemplified there.  But many are.  Not a credit to what the founder wanted to be the smartest and most successful college football blog in the world.

+8 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I very badly want to dislike MMan and his Internet presence but I'm finding it difficult.  

MMan, by chance, were you at the 2012 OSU/UM game in Columbus?  Section C-9?  That was the visitor section.  I ask because a couple of college buddies and myself sat there (yes, dead smack in the middle of maize and blue with our scarlet and gray) and one of the guys we were giving grief to (in a mutual, fun sort of way) was a UM law grad.  Mid to late 40's, I'm guessing.  

Great guy really; accept when he stood up to do that silly bending at the waist and spinning the hands thing to the left and right you guys do.  

M Man's picture

It wasn't me.  Must have been some other stand-up Michigan alum.

The dance that I think you are describing is to the Michigan Marching Band's cover of "I Can't Turn You Loose."  That's the old Otis Redding number recorded when he was backed by Booker T. and the M.G.'s.  Michigan's band got into it in the eighties, after the song was covered in The Blues Brothers movie.  Blues -- get it?  (The M.G.'s -- Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and Al Jackson -- backed Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi in their Blues Brothers roles.)  It's a Big (House) mashup of Blues, Rhythm & Blues and Motown.  The dance moves, such as they are, are cribbed from Motown acts like The Temptations, the Four Tops and Gladys Night's Pips.

I don't come here to talk trash, but in my personal humble opinion if you put up "Hang On Sloopy" by the McCoys against "I Can't Turn You Loose" by Otis Redding for sheer badassery, Otis is... my man. 

btw, I think Hang On Sloopy is a great song (and Rick Derringer is an Ohioan, right?) and it works really well as a band song in a big stadium.  So much better to have your own thing like that, rather than aping Fenway Park's "Sweet Caroline."  Plus you've got the video that has been rediscovered in the YouTube era.  So you got that going for you.  Which is nice.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

Otis Redding, mashed up with Motown dance moves? That's a travesty if I ever did hear it. Otis, Booker T, and other famous cats cut their records at Stax in Memphis. Stax records were the true identity of American soul; a far cry from the commercialized output from Gordy's studio. 

If you ever get the chance, the Stax museum of American Soul Music in Memphis is a must see, as is the equally impressive Civil Rights Museum. 

And while Otis will always be my man as well (nice Animal House reference, by the way), for my money, nothing topped Wilson Pickett when he was at the top of his game. 

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

Meyer didn't technically boot Cam, though he also didn't technically boot Se'von Pittman either.  I'd venture to guess the 2 had very similar conversations with Urban before they decided to request release.

+3 HS
BTBuckeye's picture
check it out. Maize & Sun colors tiboot.

BrutusBuckey3's picture

Wait, Brady Hoke ate one of their receivers?

+2 HS
grantmeaname's picture

Hoke heard "Sunday Pork" and ... well, at least his death was fast and painless.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Aug 30th, where are you????????

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
TresselKrenzel23's picture

God we need a f***ing football game to talk about

"Go Bucks!" -Jesus, probably

airbuckeye's picture

No No No no what happened was far worse than what Clark or even the rap the kicker and that asshole thug OL. Hoke is sending a very loud and clear message to everyone that stealing his last Cheese Cake will not be tolerated.

+1 HS