Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Your Top Ten

Ahh Saturday's picture
July 31, 2014 at 1:13pm
35 Comments

In honor of the release of the Coaches Poll, what is your Top Ten for '14?  

1. FSU (Champs bring back Winston and plenty of weapons)
  2. Auburn (Almost beat FSU last year, and bring plenty back)
  3. MSU (Does anybody really think Bullough was the reason Sparty's defense was so good?)
  4. Oklahoma (Bring back the QB that shredded Bama, so I put them ahead of Bama)
  5. Oregon (Mariota makes them very dangerous, but I still remember their 42-14 loss to 5 loss AZ)
  6. Alabama (Saban, I guess)
  7. OSU (Finished with two losses, lots of questions)
  8. UCLA (Hundley + 16 returning starters = 8)
  9. S. Carolina (Hey, they beat that Clemson team)
  10. Stanford (I ain't putting Baylor here)
Hovenaut's picture

I'll read the preseason fluff, but I don't put much into it.

OSU in the middle of the top ten sounds about right...here's to finishing with no losses and plenty of answers.

+4 HS
gneptuneproductions's picture

Unfortunately for the Big Ten (and OSU) I feel MSU will start slow next year and won't reach their potential till about the same time Ohio State will play them. Making them appear mediocre in the non-conference (I expect some closer than expected games against weak competition, and a an offensive meltdown against Oregon) but as the season progresses I can see Michigan States offense becoming a legitimate threat to go along with their stout defense.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Per the World Wide Leader:

#1 - #7) reserved for University of SEC

8) Stanford

9) Stanford JV

10) Alabamas Intramural Champions

+3 HS
InTressITrust's picture

I think #1 could be Stanford if they play Stanford football though

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+5 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

It was widely debated but ultimately there is always at least one or two games a year in which Stanford just doesn't play Stanford football. If Stanford played Stanford football during every Stanford football game then Stanford football would not have lost a Stanford football game in over 5 years. 

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The comment was perfect from Jessie Palmer (espin honk) we're going to make excuses if they don't win. It was an instant classic

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture
  1. Auburn
  2. FSU
  3. Ohio State
  4. Alabama
  5. Oregon
  6. MSU
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Stanford
  9. Baylor
  10. UCLA

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Auburn? Why?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
blocko330's picture

I respect this list very much - solid, brief reasoning and if I made my own it would look extremely similiar (might have S. Car just missing out, bumping up Stanford and LSU @ 10)

I like the topic though.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

1.)FSU

2.)MSU

3.)Oklahoma

4.)Auburn

5.)tOSU

6.)Oregon

7.)UCLA

8.)Baylor

9.)Alabama

10.)South Carolina           Notice that I give credence to returning starting QB's 

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
AJBor41's picture

But not quite as much to returning starting QBs with marijuana citations, it would appear.

Rob Reese's picture

I'm glad to see others here share my opinion of MSU. 

That program is for real.  While losing Bullough, Dennard and a few other key defensive guys will hurt a little initially, Dantonio is one coach I feel that will have guys ready to step in and fill the gap left behind.  Moreover their offense went from bad last season, to fairly solid and competent week after week; Conner Cook with a year under his belt now, a lot of targets to throw to and an experienced o-line should make their offense go from "competent" to very efficient  this year.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
kgratz's picture
  1. FSU
  2. BAMA
  3. OSU
  4. OKLA
  5. OREGON
  6. MSU
  7. UCLA
  8. SOUTH CAROLINA
  9. LSU
  10. AUBURN/WISCO

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

1. Florida State

2. Oregon

3. Auburn

4. Ohio State

5. Alabama

6. Oklahoma

7. UCLA

8. Michigan State

9. Stanford

10. South Carolina

+1 HS
JOhio1560's picture

1. Florida State

2. Auburn

3. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma

5. UCLA

6. Oregon 

7. Alabama

8. Michigan State

9. Clemson

10. Stanford

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

Silver Bullet 10's picture

1. Florida State

2. Auburn

3. Michigan State

4. Ohio State

5. Oregon

6. Oklahoma

7. Alabama

8. UCLA

9. USC

10. Stanford

+1 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

1. FSU

2. Oklahoma

3. Auburn

4. OSU

5. Oregon

6. Alabama

7. MSU

8. Stanford

9. UCLA

10. Baylor

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Prefaced by saying that I don't think MSU is going to allow 3 yards per rush this year and the pass defense will not be *as* clamped down:

1.) FSU

2.) Oregon

3.) Oklahoma

4.) Alabama (can't put them higher since they lost to Oklahoma and don't have a QB yet)

5.) Ohio State 

6.) Auburn

7.) MSU

8.) UCLA

9.) Clemson

10.) Stanford

RunningFree's picture

1.) UTEP

2.) Idaho

3.) Eastern Michigan

4.) Purdue

5.) Florida Gulf Coast

6.) Owens Community College

7.) Uncle Rico

8.) Los Angeles Xtreme

9.) UofM Field Hockey

10.) My cousin's Fantasy Football team

This has the same value that pre-season polls should have.

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

I thought you were being serious until I got to number 9.  No way a team from that school can be ranked in the top ten.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I think he missed Connie's Cooking School for the Blind

JOhio1560's picture

And the Little Sisters of the Poor.

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

BassDropper's picture

1.) Florida State

2.) Oregon

3.) Michigan State 

4.) Alabama

5.) Ohio State

6.) UCLA

7.) Oklahoma

8.) Wisconsin

9.) Auburn

10.) LSU

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Absolutely agree on Auburn, not going to win those games the same way they did last year. took 3 miracles to make the NC.

+2 HS
Gametime's picture
  1. Florida State
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Auburn
  4. Michigan State
  5. Alabama
  6. Ohio State
  7. Oregon
  8. South Carolina
  9. Baylor
  10. UCLA

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

I think with tOSU bringing back the QB with the most starting experience in the Nation combined with possibly the most dominant DLine is good enough for a top 5 rating on every service. All of these teams bringing in brand new question marks at the QB position like Bama, USCe, Georgia, LSU, Clemson should be a little further back until they can prove themselves. Of course the bias wants us to believe all of these teams are top ten worthy. Wisconsin,Nebraska,Iowa,PSU and *ichigan all return QB's with experience and very well might be better then most of the sec teams ranked in front of them.Hopefully the committee doesnt fall for this bullshit where a Georgia team can lose 5 games and because Espin talked them up all year and made excuses for them they still wound up ranked top 25.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Silver Bullet 10's picture

I'll be rooting for Bob Stoops and the Sooners, but am I the only one who thinks they are seriously overrated? They were ugly to watch last year. Stagnant offense and mediocre defense. Does anybody remember the Baylor game? Oklahoma lost 41-12. This is also the same Oklahoma team that was run over by Texas. They steamroll a vastly overrated Alabama team and that's all people can see. I am not sold yet.

+1 HS

They were coming on at the end of the season similar to MSU. Think they did beat Bama,and OSU lite and a couple other solid teams.

PittBuckeye's picture

Exactly, it's how they ended the season so strong beating 2 teams that were ranked very very highly.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture
  1. Alabama
  2. FSU
  3. Oregon
  4. OSU
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Auburn (just watch them finish third in their division this year, this is way to high for them, but there's no way you can put them any lower, YET)

And I refuse to go any further.

sox33osu's picture

1. Florida State

2. Michigan State

3. Auburn

4. Ohio State

5. Oklahoma

6. Alabama

7. Oregon

8. Stanford

9. Wisconsin

10. Oklahoma State

+1 HS
camodog's picture

All of these top tens that don't include:

Va Tech

Notre Dame

Georgia

Miami FL

Texas

TTUN

USC

Louisville

Boise State

or TCU

tell me one of two things:

A. You guys know nothing about College Football

B. You don't work for ESPN or the media.

**Edit- or Florida, Arkansas, Baylor, West Virginia...

sox33osu's picture

If you're gonna include WVU, you really need to include Maryland...

OSU069's picture

1. FSU

2. Auburn

3. Ohio State

4. Alabama

5. Oregon

6. Oklahoma

7. Michigan State

8. South Carolina

9. UCLA

10. LSU