Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Top 100 College Football Players

Killer nuts's picture
July 30, 2014 at 12:38pm
31 Comments

ESPN is counting down the top 100 college football players as decided by a panel of 32 writers and editors. Today a pair of Buckeyes were the first to make the list with Noah Spence checking in at 51 and Michael Bennett at 43.

They are counting backwards from 100 and releasing 20 new guys each day, numbers 21-40 will come out tomorrow and the top 20 will come out Friday. Who else do you all think will make the list?

The whole list can be found here: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11227982/#cfbrank-50-41-c...

Killer nuts's picture

On Bennett:

Bennett began his career as a defensive end and it shows, as he uses his athleticism to disrupt the line of scrimmage as a defensive tackle. He led all Big Ten interior linemen in sacks last season.

On Spence:

Blessed with a freakish burst off the line of scrimmage, Spence finished second in the Big Ten in sacks as a first-year starter in 2013. A suspension will cost him the first two games of this season.

Killer nuts's picture

The bigten blog is also counting down the top 25 players in the conference. They have revealed numbers 11-25 so far and Spence is the only one to appear, checking in at number 12

Even without getting a chance to play the first two games as he wraps up a suspension, Spence still figures to challenge for the league lead in sacks by the time the season ends. The junior's incredible first step off the edge and a stacked group of Buckeyes on the defensive line will allow him to avoid double-teams, and that figures to be bad news for opposing quarterbacks as Spence tries to build on an eight-sack campaign last year.

Squirrel Master's picture

Joey Bosa and Braxton Miller. I just don't see how any other buckeye could be rated higher than Bennett other than those two.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Braxton, Bosa, Heuerman are hopefully a lock in the top 40.

"If you root for Michigan, the terrorists win."

+6 HS
Killer nuts's picture

This is a good example of someone misusing the voting system. You got a downvote, presumably because someone disagrees with you thinking Heuerman will be in the top 40. Rather than saying that, they decided to just downvote even though that's not the intent of the voting system. Obviously its a single vote and it matters not at all but its a prime example of how voting should not go. Upvote to counter it

+7 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Eh, I don't sweat it.  I have a serial downvoter I believe but it's nice to not be able to see how many DVs your own posts get now.

"If you root for Michigan, the terrorists win."

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I would have pegged Taylor Decker as a top 100 player. Interested to see if he makes the list.

PS - having Leonard Fournette on this list is an absolute joke.

buckeyebobcat

+4 HS
Becool12's picture

Leonard Fournette is like a 25 year old freshman. He is pretty much a professional running back 

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

To say Heuerman is a tap 50 player is pretty much crazy. Heuerman is a good player but there are a select few tightends who are amongst the top 100 players in college. Heuerman isn't as good of a tightend as Stoneburner was and he was nowhere near the top 50 players in the nation

mh277907's picture

Have to disagree with you. I think Heuerman is already better than Stoneburner. Which is no knock on Stoney. Not saying Heuerman is a top-50 player in the country but I think that he will prove that he is a top-5 TE. I really think his game will translate very nicely to the NFL.

buckeyebobcat

Becool12's picture

Heuerman is now a top-5 tightend because there are a lot of unprovens. But, no knock against Heuerman, but Stoney was a way bigger receiving threat. He wasn't as physical as Heuerman, but he had all of the tools to make him a great receiving tightend

OSUStu's picture

Braxton is the only one I can see making the cut for sure.  Bosa might make the list.  Just for comparison, MSU has 5 on the list already.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

OSU069's picture

Braxton in the top 5 and Joey Bosa somewhere in the 30's.

sox33osu's picture

Cameron Johnston.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

In addition to the overall top 100 list, the conference blogs are ranking their top 25 players in the conference and Spence is the first OSU player on the list, coming in at #12.

sox33osu's picture

Not only that, but Spence also came in at #12 on the ESPN B1G blog conference rankings.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Yep. That was the list I was referring to.

sox33osu's picture

I know. I was just messing with you.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

The second post in this thread...look at it.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Who has time to read the other posts in a thread?

OSUStu's picture

Or the other threads in a post?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

kjonesATX's picture

I agree, Bosa and Miller. Heuerman maybe, but potential sleeper to show up would be Dontre. He's getting a lot of hype, again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2052197-ohio-state-football-why-dontr...

+1 HS
tussey's picture

Since its ESPN, the only other person to make the top 100 list is going to be Braxton.  

-1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

UPDATE:

Bosa checks in at number 34 nationally, the highest of our D lineman

The defensive star of the Buckeyes' impressive rookie class last year, Bosa registered 13½ tackles behind the line of scrimmage as a true freshman and showed signs of dominance as the season progressed. He figures to make a big leap this fall.

Killer nuts's picture

The conference rankings have been updated as well with Michael Bennett at number 9 and Joey Bosa at number 8

Killer nuts's picture

Final update:

Braxton checks in at number 5 nationally

The two-time Big Ten offensive player of the year and a top Heisman contender, Miller looks set this fall to rewrite the OSU record books. He has directed six game-winning TD drives in the fourth quarter or overtime. A championship would cement his legacy.

and number 1 in the conference

CincyOSU's picture

The B1G actually got quite a bit of love on this list. I'm a little surprised the DE's from Neb and MSU were ranked higher than Spence or Bosa but at least B1G players are getting some national respect.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

They won't be after the season is over and we are hoisting the trophy.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Interestingly the bigten had 3 of the top 6 players in the country nationally according to this 

Braxton and Melvin Gordon tied at 5, Shilique Calhoun at 3