Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Josh Gordon Second Hand Smoke??

Furious George 27's picture
July 30, 2014 at 7:24am
45 Comments

If this was already discussed yesterday I appologize. But upon learning that A sample was slightly positive (resulting in the failed test) and B sample was negative to verify the first test. What would be a reasonable suspension for Gordon if he does not miss a year? As a Browns fan I can see 6-8 games since both tests conflict and I would think a competent lawyer could argue it. I do believe he deserves a suspension for hanging around with people that led to this if you buy his story and his DUI over the 4th. What say you?

Tater_Schroeder's picture

He also passed 70 drug tests through the summer, and the levels he tested at were consistent with second-hand smoke. I believe this is dropped down to less than a full season.

I cite Big Dave from WKXA in Findlay, Ohio for my information. No idea on it's validity. :)

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS

With test B being negative I think there are more angles to fight the suspension and create doubt on the first test. But as we have seen with Ray Rice the NFL uses no logic to punish.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
JTbuckeye2436's picture

A lot of people go for the 2nd hand smoke defense but it is compete BS. It is almost impossible to fail a drug test if you didn't actually use the substance. It never works. That is what I call "reaching."

+7 HS

I agree, I think its a "Hail Mary" try, but why would two samples collected at the same time have different results?

JTbuckeye2436's picture

I think more likely is he used  a while before the test and it was almost out of his system so it only showed up as a small amount. I can't explain the different results but I still don't believe that this was just 2nd hand especially because this isn't his first failed test. He has a history.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If he used "a while" before the test, he would have failed one of the other 70 tests more than likely. 

-1 HS

He does have a history, but I also think based on his history he would flat out fail both with no question. Not barely test positive and then negative. He gets 10 tests a month, I just don't know how you smoke it and get rid of it with a test every 2-3 days.

+2 HS
JTbuckeye2436's picture

Lets just say it is 2nd hand he should still get some kind of punishment for being an idiot. You know you have a history with failed tests and then you are hanging out with people who are smoking? And for you to inhale enough for it to show up on a drug test you basically have to be sitting in a car with the windows up or "hot boxing." DUMB!

+1 HS

Yes, putting himself in that position for this to happen does warrant a suspension.... Just not an entire season.

Gametime's picture

It is dumb in a sense, but you could make the argument that it shows even more willpower and commitment on his part that he maintained his company (who obviously smoke weed), but he hasn't done it himself. It could be said that having something you potentially have an addiction to in your face and turning it down repeatedly while others in your comfort zone indulge shows more resolve than simply avoiding it altogether.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

PittBuckeye's picture

The last failed test was for codeine in a prescribed medication for a cold. Hardly the same thing.

Tater_Schroeder's picture

That's what it sounded like to me.

As a Browns fan, however, I hope it works and he doesn't get any suspension (and that, also, is reaching).

How Firm Thy Friendship

jeremytwoface's picture

It is almost impossible to fail a drug test if you didn't actually use the substance.

It isn't impossible if you are being tested in the NFL. Their threshold for a positive test is much much lower than even the World Anti-Doping Agency.

The World Anti-Doping Agency's threshold is 150 ng/ml. The NFL's threshold is 15 ng/ml. Josh Gordon's "A" test was 16 ng/ml and his "B" test was 13.6 ng/ml. Both test were taken at the same time.

I think he has a decent argument for it.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Oyster's picture

Here is the question, what happens if you punch your wife/girlfriend while you are high?  Do you only get a two game suspension?

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+6 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

One game. You subtract punishments in that case. 

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

So the Ravens player not only beats women, but he is stupid too for not being high while he did it.  What a loser...

+2 HS
thumper351's picture

Hey Tater, after reading your post about citing Big Dave from WKXA I surmised that you were local so I looked at your account page and your avatar looks like you are at Stinky's, am I correct? 

Bucki78's picture

Something tells me this was JG and his second hand smoking.....

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

+17 HS
sharks's picture

Oh man, accidental dv on my phone. Someone cancel that out

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

FYI you can change your vote now :)

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+3 HS
sharks's picture

Hot damn, you're right!

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
robobuck's picture

Lets just hope the weed decides not to press charges

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Is he going to claim second-hand alcohol for his DUI? Maybe he was only working the pedals and someone else was steering?

Italics are for emphasis.

+5 HS
Oyster's picture

I hope you are happy with yourself for ruining that thread yesterday and getting it deleted.  Poor Tater had a good thing going there.

Earle's picture

That was not my fault. The tone of that thread was rather testy from the onset, and the staff/mods have an itchy trigger finger after the whole 9Route thing.

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

How come it is never your fault?

rekrul's picture

Was it hand A or B that had it, just trying to figure out which hand would be considered his 2nd...

Out Work, Out Think, Out Play!!!

+1 HS
elitesmithie's picture

A few things:

1. As a Browns Homer, I hope he gets a reduced suspension of , say 6 games. I mean he passed 70 tests.

2. As a normal human being I think he should be suspended for a year for being a dumbass and getting a DUI after the fact.

3. Screw the NFL for taking so freaking long to handle this. We "knew" about this in April and we are just now meeting Friday. Are you freaking kidding me? I am sure Browns management would like to know if they have their number 1 receiver or not this year.

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

The DWI being completely separate, I don't see 6 games for the weed. I think it either has to be cut to 0 if they believe his defense, or it will stand. There isn't really any middle ground there.

The DWI I'm not sure how that will play out, but until they do something to Jim Irsay they can't exactly go after Gordon for that.

elitesmithie's picture

I agree, however my point was if you know you are under the microscope you cant do something dumb like a DWI. He has terrible decision making skills.

Also, the thing that is stupid is the punishment for smoking weed(hurts only yourself), is more than a DUI( can kill other people).

PittBuckeye's picture

Again I hate to use the same reasoning as for the weed, but it was barely a DWI, I think it was .09 which means he had the equivalent amount of alcohol to ~4 beers on board. I don't feel 4 beers at all, and while he shouldn't have done it I'm not going to go so far as to say he was a danger to society that night.

I just hate how he's getting characterized as an out of control partier, when he likely had a few beers at dinner or something then drove home, he wasn't swerving off the road barely making it home.

Fatpants's picture

I think no matter what he needs to get a lifetime ban from the NFL. We don't need his kind corrupting all of the woman beaters (i'm lookin at you Ray Rice) with the devil's lettuce.

Seattle Linga's picture

I heard he's got the same lawyer as Richard Sherman had when he was in trouble for PED's - he got off from any suspension. Now that both tests are different I would be surprised if the suspension was even 4 games. 

jeremytwoface's picture

Add on to that all of the backlash that Goodell is getting from the Ray Rice thing, and Gordon might actually have a chance to get it reduced.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Grayskullsession's picture

Roger Goodell has been exposed for the spineless twit that he is with the Ray Rice fiasco. Whoever his lawyer is will come down hard and fast.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

Fatpants's picture

It's my understanding that Ray's victim stuck up for him to Roger Goodell. That's the reason the state takes over in domestic violence cases. Abusive relationships can be tough to get out of and all too often victims forgive and defend their abusers.

Knock her out? Two games. It would be laugh worthy if there weren't an actual victim and it didn't set a horrible example.

+1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Let's just give him two games.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

Why do we care if people are smoking marijuana? This isn't the reefer madness days. I'll be glad when the plant is legalized and we don't have to hear about it anymore. 

+4 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

The differing levels makes perfect sense for anyone that has tried to slide by piss tests for years. Usually when you wake up,  that big morning piss is going to have more concentration of THC levels opposed to the other pisses of the day. There are some vets that have actually explained to me when you  go to take the test start pissing in the toilet for a few seconds before pissing in the cup. They swear by the first couple seconds of urine coming out being more concentrated then say the end of the urination. It all makes sense now. Wow. Thanks Joshua. #mindblown

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Citrus's picture

Seems like he will either get a full year or nothing. After the Ray Rice fiasco, I doubt Gordon gets a year especially on rather weak evidence. Gordon gets nothing. Mark it down. I would bet on it.

The Rill Dill's picture

I think a team vote is in order.  His friends will also have a vote.

+1 HS
buckeyeinthechi's picture

Les Miles approves of this post

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

RenegadeBuckeye's picture

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11281430/josh-gordon-legal-team-say-second-hand-smoke-reason-positive-marijuana-test

Gordon's "A" sample tested at 16 nanograms per milliliter, a bare one nanogram per milliliter above the 15-nanogram-per-milliliter threshold, while Gordon's "B" sample -- which should theoretically be consistent with the "A" sample, as it comes from the exact same specimen -- tested at 13.63 ng/ml, lower than the threshold.

With both samples coming from the same specimen test, the results should be consistent. 

That last sentence is a load of bs. Assuming this was a urine test, the THC metabolites are higher in the early part of the stream, and they're lower in the middle part of the stream...this is the target pee that you want tested. It's obvious that the slight differences, and they are slight, are the result of a more diluted part of the piss. He's obviously using. 

Here is a good article about how long the metabolites stay in your system. http://voices.yahoo.com/before-taking-drug-test-long-does-marijuana-256883.html

Also, how do I connect my link to a word in the post? Kinda high right now...can't seem to figure it out...tia.

cdub4's picture

Its from the same sample, what the heck are you talking about early part of stream? Also as someone stated, the level to fail is one tenth WADA level for failure, so no it is not obvious he is using.