Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

What Would You Do?

BuckeyeKing02's picture
July 29, 2014 at 3:31pm
42 Comments

The season is nearby, but not yet here, so here's a question we're kicking around at work today...

2014 introduces a whole new schematic for college football fans.  With the advent of the playoffs, the regular fan now has a conundrum if their team is fortunate enough to be one of the four teams to make the playoffs.  Let's say you have just enough money to scrounge up to see your team in post-season play.  In the old days, you book your ticket and travel to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl, or wherever your team is playing, and you enjoy the show.  But now, there is a possibility of back-to-back games in different locations.  

So what do you do with the following hypothetical?  According to projected AP rankings (debuting soon), the playoffs look as follows:  Alabama vs. Oregon and Ohio State vs. Florida State.  One game will be played at the Rose Bowl and the other at the Sugar Bowl.  You only have enough money to go to one post-season game.  What do you do?  Buy your ticket to the semi-final and just go there to enjoy the Bucks, or book your travel for Dallas and hope the Buckeyes make it to the championship game?

Interested to get your take.  I'll share my take shortly (to prevent creating bias in responses).

Killer nuts's picture

Go see the semifinal in the Rose Bowl. You get to see the Bucks without a doubt and the Rose Bowl is awesome.

+3 HS
BuckeyeKing02's picture

Ignorant question:  Has it been predetermined which Bowl will host the 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 games?  ie. Do we know the Bucks will play in the Rose Bowl?

Killer nuts's picture

That's a good question. I think in terms of destination I'd still rank them Pasadena > New Orleans > Dallas. That said, if we win the semi final I'd suggest selling one's first born in order to get a ticket to the title game.

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

No need to go as far as selling one's first born... maybe just some of their organs or something. A kidney or part of their liver might do just fine.

Rob Reese's picture

There's only so many opportunities in one's life to possibly witness a championship.  I grew up a Tribe fan in the 90's and thought World Series appearances were a given and a birthright to the Indians - to say I was wrong would be an understatement.

Championship for all the marbles all day long..it's not even close.

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Thanks for this. I was gonna write "...if you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?" The embed is better for all concerned.

+2 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Semi-final.    I can understand the temptation to wait,  but I just know that if I bought those championship tickets w/out them being in it I would personally be the reason we lost.  Can't take that chance.

By the way, any of you people who understand spots superstitions, I can tell you Jose Mesa is not the reason the Tribe lost in '97.  My sisters friend is.  She touched an Indians hat that was sitting on the TV console.  Without going into too much detail, she (hell, no one) should absolutely not have touched the hat.  When the hat was touched the Indians lost.  ON the TV, they won.  I'm terribly sorry Cleveland.  It hurts my heart too.  I still give her crap about it when I see her.  She lives in Brooklyn now if anyone wants get out the pitchforks.

+3 HS
Dayton Buckeye's picture

I agree with Rob. Have to go to the championship game. No doubt.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Too many unknown variables. If the semi is in a lame location or the opponent is some weaker team, I think you gamble and book for the title game. You can always dump this tickets if need be.

If we're playing somewhere awesome like the Rose Bowl and/or play a game against a blue blood or someone we all know is the true title game, you go all in on the semi final. 

Killer nuts's picture

Giving it more thought I think going with the title game is more practical. Here's why: If we win the semi final game then I have a ticket to the title game and I'm in great shape. If we lose the semi-final then I sell my title game ticket for a ton and I have spared myself from sitting through a heart breaking defeat in a national semi-final while turning a profit.

+1 HS
BuckeyeKing02's picture

BINGO!  That's my take.  If championship is Alabama vs. FSU, I am not going, but I can still sell my tickets for a premium.  That said, I would still be slightly bummed by skipping the semi-championship game, especially if at the Rose Bowl, but more bummed by a loss and having spent all that dough for the occasion.

dcbucks's picture

I agree, the title game is my choice, but I'm not sure the ticket will be worth a ton after the semi-final. I think this format will drive ticket prices down dramatically for the championship game. Last year tickets fell below $400 for the national championship game and I bet you will be able to get upper seats for $200 or less this year. Some fans can afford one game and few fans can afford two games. Don't forget the short notice of travel and added costs associated.  Combine that with the fact that there will be two schools dumping their speculative ticket purchases. I think this will be similar, but not as drastic, to the NCAA Basketball final four where you would think the championship game tickets should cost more than the semifinal game, but because of the flooded ticket market and only slightly added demand they are actually much cheaper than the semifinal. Its a good thing for the average fan so I'm not upset.

703Buckeye's picture

I would save money for both games by living in a van down by the river.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+4 HS
roamingbuckeye's picture

I would hold out for Championship game, for the same as Killer Nuts' reasoning above.  However, that is ONLY because I am within driving distance of Dallas so if if we lose and I sell off the tickets for a profit at the last minute I'm not also out a plane ticket.  If travel to both semi finals and championship required booking a flight, I would have to go semis just to avoid the risk of booking a flight I later had no desire to use.

"I just cant wait to play football." -UFM

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

This would be my logic also.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

BTBuckeye's picture

We have over 400,000 living alumni I think.

Divide and Concur!

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

There has to be more than that, isn't the enrollment around 65,000? call it 50k, and say people live for 60 years after graduating, divide that by 4, gives you 750k. A lot of rounding, and enrollment numbers are made up, but still.

703Buckeye's picture

Keep in mind that the university hasn't always been as large as it currently is. 

Byaaaahhh's picture

I don't think OSU has been 50k strong for the last 60 years, though. No evidence to back this up, but just a gut feeling, I guess.

PittBuckeye's picture

I'm sure it hasn't but it's at 64k right now, and was a little higher last year, I was guestimating an average over that time. It's bad statistics, but I couldn't find any actual data from a quick Google search and it wasn't worth that much time.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

There are nearly 500,000 living alumni worldwide and 285,000 of them living in Ohio.

http://www.osu.edu/highpoints/alumni/

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Hovenaut's picture

I've never seen Ohio State live.

Yet.

I'd take the semi-final, no hesitation. And should Ohio State make the championship game, no regrets.

Great question.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

BuckeyeKing02's picture

Thanks, Hove.  Maybe this adds a whole new wrinkle, but would your response be different if you were fortunate enough to attend a Championship Game in the past?

+1 HS

Wow Hove.   NEVER??

I've managed to see them 3 times and consider myself lucky since the team is rarely down south.  '99 Sugar Bowl, '02 THE GAME, and '04 Alamo Bowl.  All wins luckily for me.  Guess I should count my blesssings.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Missed a chance to go to the '95 Penn State game with a couple of my roommates, had to work and I wasn't up for going to State College as a solo Buckeye fan.

Wish I had, OSU won that game (Rickey Dudley was big that day).

It's all good, now that Maryland is in the B1G and the boy is getting older (four now) I will see the home team soon.

Ultimately plan to mecca to Columbus at some point, a bucket list must. Not just to see the Buckeyes but maybe some of the 11W community as well.

Definitely do it.  My dad grew up in Cleveland rooting for the Buckeyes back to the Cassady days.  Heck, my grandmother went to Denison University and was either a year older or younger than Woody.  My dad had made it to the Big House a couple times as a band member in high school (why they went there I have no clue) but had never been to Columbus for a game (he did see them play SMU and with me in the '99 Sugar Bowl).  I got tickets for the '02 OSU/UM game for an early Xmas present for him.  What an experience.  It was 32 degrees, gray skies, and just what that game should be like.  I will never forget it.  Best sporting event I've ever been to.  Absolutely a bucket list item. I could go on and on about that trip.

EDIT:  I have an 8 and almost 6 year old I am indoctrinating into OSU Football/Basketball.  Can't wait to take them up to Columbus some day.

BrutusBuckey3's picture

I would honestly love to hear more about that trip to the 02 scUM game.

Hovenaut's picture

I'd still be good with just a semifinal. I'd be tough if the NC I'd been to was either the Florida or LSU games.

PittBuckeye's picture

I've seen them live plenty, used to have season tickets, and I absolutely would do the opposite.

Get ready for the championship game, and if they don't make it unload the ticket. Mostly because I want to see them play Bama and beat them in front of everyone in the first ever playoff. ESPN would implode.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Hov, you live in Maryland... why not try and make it to the Navy or UMD games?

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I'm in Jersey for the Navy game. I'm seriously considering the Maryland game, schedule permitting.

I'm backing off Capitals and Orioles/Nats games, looking at a couple of Wizards games and when Matta and company come to College Park.

It'll happen, it has to happen.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I got season football tickets for Maryland, so I'll be at the OSU game. I also got tickets to the Navy and Penn State games as birthday presents. 

Maryland and OSU are only playing once in men's basketball, in Columbus. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

You're right on hoops this season...but looking forward to the future.

Hoping to work in a football game or two first...you have a good gig scoring tix this season, 703.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Helps to work in the athletic department at UMD, haha. 

+1 HS
apack614's picture

I would sell my body and earn the extra money for the game!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

Kid Buckeye's picture

The championship game.

Be part of something special.

Gametime's picture

Was I the only one who thought while reading the OP title: ...for a Klondike Bar?

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
BrutusBuckey3's picture

Neither. I would spend my $$ on the scUM game. The single greatest yearly sporting event in the world. 

FairfaxBuckeye's picture

If they were to play the semi-final in the Rose Bowl, I'd make that trip, as no bowl compares to the Rose Bowl

If they were to play the semi-final in the Sugar Bowl, I'd roll the dice and wait for the Championship game.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

For sure I would go to the semi-final game rather than take my chances with the NT game.  If by chance the buckeyes aren't in the title game I wouldn't even want to go.  And if they are and I can't be there, at least I have a monster TV to watch it on at home.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!