Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Let's talk ethics..

GVerrilli92's picture
July 28, 2014 at 1:41pm
23 Comments

So I was reading the Shelley Meyer article and a couple of things struck me. For one, I love that Mrs. Meyer has her opinions and is capable of speaking for herself. Secondly, I do not believe that there is a single fan base of ANY team that blows ours out of the water.

That being said, I go to UNC Chapel Hill and have had the pleasure of being friends with many of the guys on the football team. Also, most of them were recruited by SEC teams. The stories that I've heard are not fake, and it's shaped my entire perspective on the gap that the SEC has created in recruiting. I used to be one of those people that had never bought into the SECheat hype. But I've WITNESSED enough to know now that it's not only rumor, but most people don't know the half of all the shit these kids are having thrown at them.

I'll use one example without names, so as to save my own ass (I work in the UNC AD). A tight end at Carolina that I became pretty well acquainted with told some stories that made me lose some faith in the sport I love. There's no point in sharing everything, but when he was recruited to Arkansas he (and the recruits he visited with) was personally handed an Oz of pot by his position coach. Our friends all called bullshit, he said "Nah bro, this shit is real." It seemed like every time we drank together he told us a new recruiting story. I don't want to mention other schools names because dots could be connected.

But if you don't believe in the total abandonment of morals in the SEC, I'm envious of you. My naivete will forever be stripped after hearing his stories.

BroJim's picture

Before we talk about ethics let's discuss that picture of Bubbles. Well done, sir. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+3 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

DE CENT!!!

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+3 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

"My Wife, The Tramp"

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+5 HS
bbb's picture

A friend of a friend told me too

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Wait. UNC and ethics?

Let's hear some more stories... That's great about Arky, though. "You picked Arkansas? Were you high?"

"Well, actually..."

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+7 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Wait, recruiting is supposed to be ethical?

I'm wondering why you think this stuff happens only in the SEC?

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

Well because I've never personally talked to players that were recruited by the B1G. Sure, I can't say for certain that it doesn't happen when Ohio St is pursuing a kid. But I can say for sure that it happened to this guy in this circumstance. I try to avoid speculation when forming my opinions..

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I'm just not convinced that some of this stuff, maybe not as bad, isn't happening at OSU.

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
bbb's picture

This doesn happen at OSU, because OSU is my team

Run_Fido_Run's picture

The difference is that schools like Ohio State and UCLA are trying to comply with the NCAA rules, but sometimes stuff happens anyway, whereas the SEC schools aren't really trying to comply, they're mostly concerned about not getting caught - the SEC programs use elaborate systems that provide ample degrees of separation and devote considerable resources to deflecting problems as they arise.

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I know what you're trying to say.  But all of that is based on stories and perception.  There's nothing based on facts there.  So despite what we all perceive to be true, there's nothing that can actually prove it.  Given the scandals and sanctions that other schools in other conferences are dealing with right now (OSU, PSU, Miami, UNC, FSU, USCw, and Oregon are in my head and I will acknowledge USCe here), its hard to even justify the statement.  

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Fair enough. Although I will say that Tatgate was, in certain respects, essentially evidence against the prevalence of such practices at Ohio State. The Tat Five were so poor of pocket change that they exchanged their mementos for services/cash, trading with a guy who ran a crappy little tattoo parlor on the freakin' west side of town (i.e, most certainly not a "bag man"). That the media made a federal case of such an affair while suggesting that it reflected a culture of corruption at Ohio State was always absurd.

Maybe some sophisticated shenanigans happen at Ohio State, similar to what takes places in the SEC, and so maybe the Tat Five were trying to get extra goodies on top of what they already got from other sources. Maybe. But then the tabloid media and other professional grievance mongers shouldn't have pretended that the Tat Five deal was something it wasn't.   

+1 HS
bbb's picture

A position coach handing over an Oz isn't exactly ample separation, let alone any. A program would have to be out of its mind to do something this blatant, which makes me call into question this story

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I had my naivete stripped once.  Itched like crazy when it grew back.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+4 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Good insight GVilli92. I'm sure you've heard some doozies. 

But It's college.

It's teenagers with rockstar type fame.

It's job and millions of dollars on the line. 

You do the math. 

I know a number of athletes, personally, across a number of sports. It is not limited to the SEC, they just seem to have much tighter "good ole boy" network that remains as silent as La Cosa Nostra. 

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

First of all I like Shelly and she has every right to have her opinion but a point was made on the other post about her getting caught up in Urban's somewhat out of control behavior at FU. Now that things are in control for him it could seem not as passionate all the way around. No matter where I have lived being a buckeye fan has always had a big reaction. Once when the Dish was out my wife called to see what the problem was and even though we lived in the south and there was several games going the guy responded to her "you must be an Ohio State fan". She asked him how did he know and he said the complaints from buckeye fans were more than for all the other games combined. I call that passionate.

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

Recruiting violations happen everywhere, and more than likely at OSU too. I remember when Tatgate was going down a poster on one of the other boards who had played on the team years ago basically said as much and was praising TP for not taking the ship down with him for all that he knew. I think Troy Smith had also tweeted some stuff hinting about that too. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the SEC takes it to another level. That SEC bagman story sealed the dirty impression of the SEC in most reasonable people's minds. Also, there is just way too much smoke around Alabama with that shady menswear dude and all the selfies with cars and cash.

+1 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

EPH97, the smoke was actually around Arkansas...

GVerrilli92's picture

Yeah, so I had a couple of cocktails and spilled some beans.. But the point of the post was that for the first time in my life I could say for sure this shit was happening. Primary sources.

BeijingBucks's picture

actually wouldn't it have to have happened to you personally while you were there with yourself and sober.. for it to be a primary source.. for us?

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

GVerrilli92's picture

Touche..

whiskeyjuice's picture

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the athletes still have to pass drug tests? Why would a school/position coach hand out pot to a potential recruit? Doesn't make sense? Would that position coach give out pot twice a week? Is he going to keep the athletes high during practice? Don't buy it and if that is going on, that is one of the most apathetic things I have ever heard.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs