Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Carlos Hyde

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 27, 2014 at 9:14pm
17 Comments

To celebrate 34 days until the start of Ohio State's season I put together a little piece on Carlos Hyde. To read about Jeff Logan, Raymont Harris and the other 35 players to wear No. 34 go here.

It appears Carlos Hyde is continuing his rise on the SF depth chart per 11UrbzAndSpices.  

Carlos Hyde was Urban Meyer's first 1,000 yard running back.

Carlos Hyde was Urban Meyer's first 1,000 yard running back.

Carlos Hyde, RB (2010-13)

Ohio State
The Buckeyes were 42-10 with Hyde on the team.
2013 Leaders Title.
2012 Leaders Title.
2011 Defeated Arkansas 31-26 in the Sugar Bowl.
Went 3-1 against That Team.

Honors
2013 All-Big Ten.

Carlos Hyde's Ohio State Profile from last year's Team Guide:

Taking care of That Team.

Urban Meyer’s offenses always feature a power running game – five of his 11 teams have had Top 15 NCAA rushing averages and his six Florida teams had more rushing yards (15,109) and touchdowns (185) than every other SEC school between 2005-10 – but his teams were all so balanced that 20 of his players rushed for more than 600 yards in a season during that time but none topped 1,000, until quarterback Braxton Miller rushed for 1,271 yards in 2012 …

Hyde ran for 226 yards and a touchdown against That Team in 2013.

Hyde ran for 226 yards and a touchdown against That Team in 2013.

Carlos Hyde, who is big, fast, physical and runs with an attitude, is poised to become Meyer’s first 1,000-yard running back … he enters his senior season with impressive career numbers – when one considers he’s only started 11 times– of 1,677 rushing yards, 22 rushing touchdowns, seven 100-yard games and his breakout 2012 campaign is proof he’s ready for the really big time …

Hyde's touchdown gave Ohio State a 21-14 OT victory of Wisconsin in 2012.

Hyde's touchdown gave Ohio State a 21-14 OT victory over Wisconsin in 2012.

Carlos rushed for 970 yards and scored 16 rushing touchdowns in less than 10 games last year, missing two because of an ankle issue … he led the Big Ten Conference in both scoring and touchdown scoring (10.2 points per game) and he was named second-team all-Big Ten …

Hyde hurting people.

He also earned Ohio State’s Rex Kern outstanding offensive back award for his efforts, which included overpowering games against Nebraska with 140 rushing yards and four touchdowns, against Michigan with 146 yards and a touchdown, against Illinois with 137 yards and three touchdowns and against Indiana with a career-high 156 yards …

26 carries,168 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Hyde's game against Northwestern: 26 carries,168 yards and 3 touchdowns. 

He played the final eight games, after missing the Cal and UAB games … Carlos had his first significant opportunities to carry the football as a sophomore in 2011 and he responded with 566 rushing yards to rank third on the team… his 5.3 yards-per-carry average led all Buckeyes and his six TDs were tops among running backs and second only to Braxton Miller’s seven … 

Was impressive with 104 yards and two touchdowns vs. Nebraska, including a stunning 63-yard TD rush off right tackle … rushed for 105 yards and a score vs. Indiana … he was one of three Buckeyes (Boom Herron and Braxton Miller) to rush for over 100 yards vs. Indiana, the fourth time in school history that three backs have topped 100 yards in a game … gained 76 yards rushing and scored twice in the win over Toledo … also caught 10 passes for 73 yards in 2011 … played in seven games as a true freshman in 2010.

Does Carlos Hyde still think about the fourth and one against Michigan State? His answer per Zac Jackson of foxsports.com:

What would have happened had the ball been given to Hyde on fourth and one?

What would have happened had the ball been given to Hyde on fourth and one?

"I actually still think about that Michigan State game and that fourth and one," Hyde said Tuesday morning at an NFL Rookie Symposium youth football clinic.

Hyde had been asked if the two losses the  Buckeyes  suffered at the end of last season -- they went to the Orange Bowl and lost to  Clemson  after losing their shot to play for the national title -- had soured how he felt about the 2012 and 2013 seasons at Ohio State.

"Pretty much I feel like it was that one play or we could have been on our way to the national championship," Hyde said. "I mean, you know, it's a lesson learned. "Yeah."

Shortly thereafter, Hyde walked away from the 10 or so reporters and cameras who were circled around him.

Why?

So, we're left to presume he still wishes he'd gotten the ball.

Speaking in Northeast Ohio last spring, Michigan State Mark Dantonio said his staff felt the Buckeyes would stick with Miller on the fourth down play and prepared accordingly.

An article on Hyde from Andrew Pentis of 49ers.com:

Hyde was selected in the second round by San Francisco.

Hyde was selected in the second round by San Francisco.

Not too many people get to learn from a guy that will go into the Hall of Fame,” the eager second-round draft pick said. “They run the ball a lot more here. Being a running back here is awesome.”

This was Hyde’s main concern the last time he entered a new level of football. Coming out of Naples, Fla., he opted for the traditional, pro-style offense practice in Ohio State after drawing recruiting interest from then-Florida coach Urban Meyer. 

“I decided not to go there because I saw the spread offense,” Hyde said of Meyer’s Gators. “I was like, ‘I don’t see any big running backs back there running the ball for him.' The only big guy back there was Tim Tebow.”

Hyde being Hyde.

Of course, Hyde would enjoy his best collegiate seasons – including 1,521 rushing yards, or 7.3 per carry, plus 15 touchdowns in 2013 – after Meyer was hired at OSU in ’12. He was pleasantly surprised to see his coach call power-type running plays even when the quarterback was receiving snaps out of the shotgun.

In retrospect, playing for Meyer more than prepared Hyde for the NFL. He learned how to play alongside a mobile quarterback – Braxton Miller rushed for 1,068 yards on 171 carries – and the importance of protecting Miller in the pocket.

[…]

I think Carlos Hyde has a bright future in the NFL.

I think Carlos Hyde has a bright future in the NFL.

There’s little doubt, however, that Hyde enjoys carrying the ball himself. He said he admires the relentlessness of Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and Gore, whom he worked out with in Miami this offseason.

How can he get even better?

“Learn from Frank,” Hyde said. “Become a better runner by seeing what he does right.”

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide, foxsports.com and 49ers.com

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments