Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

The best Ohio State recruiter may not be who think.

hhilanders's picture
July 26, 2014 at 8:09pm
35 Comments

After seeing Mr Elliott speaking to Torrance Gibson on the sidelines last night and how he was involved with Justin Hilliards recruitment and family, he may be the best recruiter Ohio State has. Yes, UFM carriers two national championship rings and plus all of his on the field success. However, when Mr. Elliott enters the picture first he represents a different point of view to the whole process. To a point, he doesn't gain anything personally if a player chooses Ohio State or not. So I feel the result is the mother, father and family are more likely to listen to his story and experience and believe him versus a coach. In the case of Torrance Gibson, I can only imagine that Mr. Elliott was giving him friendly fatherly advice. That by itself could have a bigger impact on a 18 year kid if someone like your father is talking to you. 

Codeezy's picture

I'm sure the parents like to see that too. The father of another highly recruited kid from out of state explaining what the university has already done for his son. 

But I disagree that getting highly rated recruits doesn't benefit Mr. Elliott. If they keep pulling in top recruits and prospects, that gives ezekial a better chance to succeed. Plus who doesn't want to see their kid win a crystal ball weird fallace shaped gold thing playing with top flight talent. 

+11 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

When Stacy Elliott recruits on behalf of Ohio State, isn't that technically a violation? I know it's minor, but still questionable. 

Wilkins78's picture

I was wondering this as well.

-1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Which rule would it be breaking? None. So it's not a violation.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Assuming Mr. Elliott has purchased some tickets or clothing, he would be a booster by definition. 

-3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

He's a parent of a player at OSU. For him to pass on that he loves the place & thinks they would do well to come there is well within his rights. Not a violation at all...

Edit: Having read the link below, if he is a booster, then recruiting in the traditional sense may be "illegal". I maintain that speaking to people about their own good experience is well within any parent's rights.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+7 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

http://m.goredfoxes.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205243922&DB_OEM_...

The rules are pretty black and white here. I'm not trying to start a fight over this, but I'll defend my stance when I believe it's the right one. 

That link has good info on this particular subject. It's easy to find and some of it's quoted from NCAA bylaws. There's also a link on that page to the NCAA rule book. 

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Brandon, I wouldn't want a digital fight either. The link says parents can be considered boosters. I read all the rules in their entirety and I'll state again, I think Mr Elliot is well within his rights to mention to ANYONE that he & his son have had a good experience at Ohio State. Even If it were somehow technically "illegal", I can't imagine, in this day & age of the NCAA investigating nothing & the power conferences on the verge of gaining autonomy, that anything could possibly come from it. I can see the headline "OSU cheats again! Now parents of players are telling recruits they've enjoyed their experience with Ohio State". Come on... I recall reading a story recently where parents like Stacy Elliot was asked by UFM to consider the program theirs & to lend a hand whenever possible. Seems like that's what he's doing.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I likewise think it's a good thing. I was just trying to defend the rules to those (not you) who felt the need to disagree in a negative sense. 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Gotcha. My bad if I misunderstood.

+2 HS
trigg03's picture

Tattle tales & goodie goodies really irk me. Who gives a flip if you feel it's against NCAA rules?? Save it for confession dude...2 Hale Marys & whatever else those priests say afterwards. Its not as though Mr. Elliot travels across country to go to these kids homes & sell them on why they should pick OSU. Try relaxing & enjoy the show dude.

Wilkins78's picture

@Trigg03 it was a legitimate question.  Not sure why people are getting so bent out of shape about it.  Perfectly relaxed over here, just curious about how a random fan tweeting a recruit is a violation and someone not on the coaching staff talking to a recruit about OSU isn't. 

theopulas's picture

so you just pull the "assume" crap out of your ass.....are you kidding...

Theopulas

-1 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Brandon I'm not gonna knee jerk down vote you because I don't know the rules. But please show us where the bylaws or other regs say this. Link would be helpful. I have my doubts this is included in the definition.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I posted the link in reply from Poison Nuts. 

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I think it all depends on the context of the conversation. The rules that Brandon has brought forth would prohibit Mr Elliot from actively recruiting - "come to Ohio State" type stuff. However, NCAA bylaws cannot prevent him from talking to a kid. Seeing how Mr. Elliot strikes me (I don't know him personally) as someone who genuinely cares about kids, my guess is that he's just there to support these kids the best way he knows how, as a father figure and not as a recruiter. 

Read my entire screen name....

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Well said.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

MAY NOT BE WHO THINK.

I've never heard of Who think. Is he a coach?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
BlockO's picture

Lol

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

-2 HS
hhilanders's picture

Mr. Deezy you are correct in saying that it could help his son. My point was more from the standpoint of a salaried coach who if they are able to secure a recruit could benefit monetarily. Other than helping his son, I think Mr. Elliott has seen and believes what UFM is selling. He is putting himself out there saying, "ask me about my experience". I don't know if they have utilized parents like this in the past but they should find one from each class if they can.  

+1 HS
hhilanders's picture

Who Think is a Korean baseball player on the Yankees. I will be having a talk with my proof readers. 

+10 HS
Ashtabula's picture

I agree that Mr. Elliott could have an impact on recruiting, but let's not forget that without Urban, there is no Elliott.

+4 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Recruiting is a group effort and Meyer is our ace in the hole, but I agree that Zeke's dad helps a great deal. As a parent himself, he can offer recruits and their families valuable insight into how OSU treats his son and his family. That resonates loudly with a player's parents for sure.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Could be on the payroll. It's a long drive from St.Louis just to stand on the sideline in hopes of a potential recruit coming up to him asking about Ohio State. Can just anybody at SNL go stand on the field? 

-3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

May be wrong here, but I'm fairly certain the Elliot's have purchased a home in Columbus. I believe I read that somewhere.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

Why is it ok for Stacy Elliott to talk/tweet to recruits, yet if a "fan" tweets something like "would love to see you in Columbus with so-and-so" it's the-worst-thing-on-planet-earth?! I don't understand. I get that certain people can go too far and say some pretty stupid stuff, but in the example above, what would be wrong with that?

I get so sick of writers acting like "we're the only ppl that can/should ever tweet w these kids" etc etc etc. Please explain how it's any different. If someone wants to share some love to their favorite recruit in a pro/positive way, and they say nothing negative about the player or other schools, who the frick cares!

-2 HS
Norwalk's picture

Eric Waugh...is that you?

-2 HS
robb1379's picture

While I agree that Mr Elliott is probably an effective recruiter. I wouldn't go so far as to call him tOSU's 'best' recruiter. I have personally tweeted each & every recruit and I believe my record stands for itself. 

+4 HS
Gray Box's picture
+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

Also Cornell and Hilliard weigh in:

+5 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

These two are becoming my all time favorite recruits.  What awesome passion they have for OSU, and they haven't played a down.

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

Here's a really good article and video from earlier this month that Stacy Elliot did with the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com where he explains what he does (free): How Ezekiel Elliott's father, Stacy, helps Ohio State recruit top high school prospects: Buckeyes recruiting

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

It's nice to see how they were once Tigers and have totally been overwhelmed with Buckeye Nation. Going to any length to help the coaching staff out - all by playing within the rules.