Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Uhhh, what the hell?

BassDropper's picture
July 23, 2014 at 8:44pm
39 Comments

So I was watching the Finnebaum show today for the first and last time ever, and he had the Ole Miss and Miss State coach on as guest today. Something I found rather interesting is the fact that Hugh Freeze continually reffered to Ole Miss as "THE Ole Miss" and Dan Mullen refers to Ole Miss as The School/Team Up North and refuses to call them by their actual name. I know he was a former Urban assistant, but stealing something from Woody Hayes and THE Ohio State University is uncalled for. Im literally just finding out about this today, so forgive me if this is common knowledge. 

"The acronym TSUN came from Mullen’s refusal to say ‘Ole Miss’ or the University of Mississippi by simply calling them “the school up north” from day one. And after a 45-0 beat-down at the hands of Ole Miss in 2008, there was a long way to go for State to regain its footing. But Mullen came up with a huge coup when he beat the #20 Rebels 41-27 in 2009. Two years later, MSU has its best Egg Bowl winning streak in 70 years."

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

How have we not copyrighted that by now?

+9 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Equating TTUN to anything in Mississippi is punishment enough.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+16 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Wait, for which one??? LOL.

+7 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Good point.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+3 HS
BuckUte's picture

Edit:I am am idiot. 

“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
– Paul Brown

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Not sure if Woody was actually the first one to start it, but I know he was doing it waaaay before Urban.

DIRECTIONER

+9 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Haha. Yeah something tells me you're right BD.

BuckUte's picture

My bad. I was a young kid living in Salt Lake when Urban was at Utah when I first heard that. I guess he brought it to Utah. 

– Paul Brown

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Same here, actually! I lived in Ogden for a few years growing up and got into college football watching that Fiesta Bowl team. The Utes will always be my second favorite CFB team.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Did he call BYU that team down south??? That's awesome! I like BYU despite many of their super annoying fans.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
BuckUte's picture

Yeah. I had assumed he made TDS up because of *those* BYU fans. Learn something new every day. 

– Paul Brown

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

My understanding is that BYU fans don't like Urban cause he brought a real rivalry mentality to the Holy War and that they *blame* him for Utah's success in two undefeated BCS busting seasons and for going to the PAC-12. I as a bit of a BYU fan am just glad he was only at Utah for 2 years haha

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Sounds about right on why BYU fans don't care for him

BuckUte's picture

So what was it like for a "bit of a BYU fan" having Urban come to tOSU? From what I understand BYU fans outside of Utah don't take the Holy War nearly as seriously as fans in the state. 

– Paul Brown

Crumb's picture

They were so awful under Gary Crowton that as BYU fan I can appreciate Urban for hastening Crowton's departure. To be honest I had trouble accepting Urban cause of the lingering pain of the debacle in the desert. And really I always kind of scoff at that rivalry because it's third rate compared to The War. Losing or winning that game doesn't seem to make or break their season like the results of fighting that team up north do for us so it's not even in the same class, and realistically few are.

AngryWoody's picture

The Mississippi State/Ole Miss rivalry is beyond anything our pathetic northern "rivalry" ever has been or ever will be.

Our Honor Defend!

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, it has always played such a huge role in determining the SEC and National Championships!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

No need to italicize here, the sarcasm is blatantly obvious. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Sad thing is their TTUN is better than our TTUN.

+2 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

What the f*ck is an Egg Bowl?

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+5 HS
KBonay's picture

Someone needs to contact Sammy Silverman.....

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Since when does Miss St. wear purple...?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Only color left in the crayon box

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+2 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Well..with what amounts to a fifth grade education between the two of them.. It only makes sense that it looks like a fifth grader's drawing.

I was honestly going to use the sarcasm font on my first question..But then I realized, I was serious.  The Egg Bowl has never been relevant.  This might be the most attention I have ever paid to it.  Lol

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

TheBadOwl's picture

Yeah, a coach at Utah a few years ago did basically the same thing, referring to BYU as "The Team Down South." What a jackass, blatantly stealing from Woody like that.

Oh wait, that was Urban who did that. Oops.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Remington2323's picture

Finnebaum is such a homer it's disgusting.

+1 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Getting sick of recruits and coaches referring to their school as "THE" *insert arbitrary school here*.  We do it because it's in our legal name ya yippees!

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Go home, overly proud Mississippi football coaches. You're drunk.

Hate Week runneth over

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

If they want to bite OSU's/Woody's style, I could care less. These aren't the first guys to do it either...It's kind of a compliment really. Even the the fine folks in the backwards country of Mississippi know that Woody Hayes & not Dan Mullen was the guy who brought "TSUN" to prominence.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

airbuckeye's picture

Im still trying to figure out way tOSU has not filed for a patten on that to this day. Thier going to drag their dam feet just a little to long before they decide to file only to find out someone else beat them to it.

-1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

Honestly, who gives a shit. There are more important things to quibble about in the realm of college football. And yes I took the time to post a useless comment.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

jamesrbrown322's picture

They even cheat when it comes to insulting each other in the SEC!

+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

Is this thread serious right now?

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

are you serious right now?

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

The silly SEC thinks that part of Mississippi is the north #southerneducation. Someone clean off the roflcopter and take a lap.

+1 HS
apack614's picture

Bring your SEC asses up here and play us for the Copyright!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I prefer to call them Ole Misses.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

keeponbraxtonmebabe's picture

Besides Ole Miss, what school would consider Mississippi St. a rival? Whoever that may be they could really put it to Miss. St. by cutting the State part off of their name and just calling them "Mississippi". That would be an epic putdown. Has a school ever tried/ thought of that before?