Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

If You Could Change Ohio Stadium, How Would You?

Ugly Hour Chazz Bear's picture
July 23, 2014 at 1:26am
152 Comments

If you could change the stadium in any way, what would you do?

For me...

1. Bring back the grass.  Football is meant to be played on grass, not turf.
2. Move all of the students to the South Stands.  I've never liked the students being spread throughout the stadium.  Best student section in the country was PSU (at least a few years ago before the scandal).  Copy the best.
3. New game start times, such as 5pm, 6, 7, etc... just to change things up from the noon vs 3:30 vs 8
4. Double-deck the south stands to fit in another 10k+
5. Sell beer.
6. Instead of concrete around the bottoms of the stadium on the field, change it to brick (looks better).

7. For fun, make every person entering the stadium pass a "loudness" test.  If you're loud, come in.

Deadly Nuts's picture

8. Get rid of the club seats. They're just there for bunch of rich people to sit down the entire game and add horseshit to the atmosphere. 

LEBRON

+13 HS
faux_maestro's picture

I like the idea of adding a second deck to the south stands. Hell, while we're at it why don't we add a third deck to the rest and bring her up to 200K. If those seats are priced right I'm sure we could fill that consistently.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Those seats better come equipped with Hubble telescopes.

LEBRON

+12 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

And a jetpack to reach up to that level...

Unky Buck's picture

Oxygen is imperative at those heights too. Just not a whole lot of it up there.

+2 HS

Wondering if the seats would be thermally insulated to fight frost bite?

Unky Buck's picture

Well of course. That'd be ludicrous if they weren't.

bodast67's picture

And this would be Ludacris as well.....

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+9 HS
Wesleyburgess1's picture

1)I would make an age limit for the seats closest to the field. 30 and under and if you are really drunk I would make an exception as long as you are still able to scream and jump up and down.
2)I also would like to put in some type of barrier at the top of the stadium just to keep the sound in.
3) lower the field again and add some additional seats closer to the field.
So basically I would like to maximize the intimidating factor. Louder and more intense crowd=more wins

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

3) lower the field again and add some additional seats closer to the field.

For the most part, there isn't anymore room for seats closer to the field. The North End Zone corners are already recessed to fit the existing field.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Smanpoint10's picture

The field is already below the water table of the Olentangy River which is why they had to install pumps below the field to keep it from flooding. That would definitely have to be redone if they moved the field again

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Yep spot on. I didn't want to get into details. I'm not sure there are active pumps under there currently but I do know that there is a 40 foot wall that goes down underneath the field to stop water from the river.

This was a big concern when it was natural grass.  They re-did the drainage when the original FieldTurf was installed in 2007.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Yes, it's a slurry wall. It keeps that water table out but also creates a bathtub situation within the wall. Part of the grass drainage concerns. But yes, miss the natural grass big time. 

While I'm here, I'd like to add that the stadium is awesome. The only thing I would change is the use of the Oletangy River. I'd make that accessible to have university controlled party boats and tail gates on the water. There are a number of colleges that incorporate scenes like this but that would be awesome for the first half of the season. 

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

'd like to add that the stadium is awesome. The only thing I would change is the use of the Oletangy River. I'd make that accessible to have university controlled party boats and tail gates on the water. There are a number of colleges that incorporate scenes like this but that would be awesome for the first half of the season. 

Man B1G Dump, that is AN IDEA!!! Unfortunately not feasible anymore since they have removed dams south of campus that has allowed the Olentangy to return to it's more natural, free flowing state...

Which means gone is the brown stagnant water that could have held boats. Now it is a swifter, narrow channel (50-75 feet wide) and only 2-4 feet deep in most parts.which kills the idea.

Where were you with this idea before they started the project???

mr.green's picture

Agree with everything Wesley except the age limit. Age has nothing to do with loudness or ability to cheer. You need to stand next to me at a game sometime. Or sit behind me and keep asking that I sit down and shut up like some of the students do when I am in south stands. 

+2 HS
Wesleyburgess1's picture

Point taken. I wish the stadium had more people like you in it.

buckeyedude's picture

I especially like your #3, #4, #5 and #7. Great post, Ugly Hour.

I think a loudness test is pure genius. I would love to see grandpa and grandma McGillicutty scream into a mic outside the stadium before the game and have their false teeth fly out. That alone would be worth the ticket price, to see.  Urban could be the judge(just my dream-flow with it) like Caesar in his Toga and give the thumbs up or down. It would be a great new Buckeye tradition. I think the students would come early, and Gameday could set up right in front of it.

I also like the idea of a 3rd deck around the entire Horseshoe. And have it overhang the 2nd deck, closer to the field. Let's take away one of the few bragging points TTUN fans have left.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

Get those toilets cleaned yet, Newbie?

+8 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Damn. Tough crowd.

+5 HS
Oyster's picture

BAN SEVEN NATION ARMY!

+12 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

First come, first served seating (with ticket). No longer would the lame people who don't yell or get excited be able to enjoy the best seats in the house. Those, instead, are reserved for the louder, more dedicated types. Also, Buck-I-Douche and the Big Nut idiot would be forced to out-pace other fans, and lets be honest, there is no way those tubs are getting anywhere below C-deck. 

SilverBullet-98's picture

Thats how people get trampled, lol.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

Have food service linked to an app so you never have to leave your seat for food and beverage. It'd be an improvement if higher quality of foods (not all stale) or selection I should say over just hot dogs, brawts, chips and cheese (those are not nachos), pretzels and popcorn. If they can have this type of service at the high school football stadiums around my house, we can certainly have it at the all mighty ' Shoe.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

I'm almost inclined to agree with you here.  Or they could at least make what crap food they do serve more reasonable so that I wouldn't mind standing in line.  

Of course.. If your going to the games for the food, then you are missing out some pretty great football.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

Oyster's picture

Are you saying order the food from your seat and they deliver it?  Great concept, but if you don't like the prices now for food, just wait till they have to hire the extra people to serve it.  Tickets would probably go up too.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

You dont have people deliver it. It is carried by those little drone things that would have your location built into its delivery route. Simply stand up and unhook food and enjoy. Of course food would have to be paid for via cellphone or debit/credit card and if you are not in the seat you are suppose to be your cellphone gps would have to link into the drone's capability.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

Well that makes perfect sense.

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

That erks me too. We pay high prices for crap stale food, you go to a modern stadium and get better foods at same prices and yes delivered to seats via the app. We always tip em so yeah I guess that goes up. Most importantly, I never miss a play. I like Grove's idea of drones, there'd be no need to tip

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+2 HS
lippertini's picture

I love the drone idea (but only during commercial breaks).  Know what really urks me, though?  

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

I would make it a horseshoe again

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
ohio gf's picture

I was just down there not too long ago...it still is a horse shoe but looks better than ever.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Yes, still beautiful; however, I feel the horseshoe is all but gone.

I season my simple food with hunger

Kurt's picture

Find a way to make that new facade not look so terrible.  That's honestly the thing that bothers me the most, inside you see the old concrete of the original facade and it's beautiful, but the new stuff on the outside just doesn't work.

+3 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

These guys are working on it...

+8 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

1.  If you're ridiculously fat you cannot under any circumstances show up to the game halfway through the first quarter and try to squeeze your fat ass into a seating situation that's already sort of worked itself around and adjusted without you being there (happened to me - pissed me off).

2.  Better 4G reception (at least on Verizon).  I try to upload photos of my kids, etc. when I'm at the games so my wife or other family can see and comment on facebook and so forth.  You'd think I was trying to split the atom.

3.  Do something better when the team takes the field.  I'm not hip or cool enough to know what that "something" is supposed to be ... but it seems like our team just runs out on the field after the band finishes playing.  It's almost boring because the band is just so good.  Maybe I expect too much ... it just seems like there's an opportunity for more theater at that moment and we're not doing it.

4.  I agree 100% about getting the librarians away from the field ....even out the parking lot.  It needs to be loud.  Don't spend your loudness energy yelling at me to sit down (happened to me - pissed me off).

5.  If you're going to dump liquor from a sunscreen bottle into a giant cup of Coke and be wasted the whole game don't dump a half liter of Coke down my back in the first quarter (happened to me - pissed me off).  Perhaps it'd be easier if they just sold beer.  Sell beer.

+10 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

1.  If you're ridiculously fat you cannot under any circumstances show up to the game halfway through the first quarter and try to squeeze your fat ass into a seating situation that's already sort of worked itself around and adjusted without you being there (happened to me - pissed me off).

Kind of sounds like you want this person to not be able to sit in the seat they purchased. Shame on them if they show up to the game late, but the seating "worked itself around" is not enough to not let someone get to their spot.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I think his point is more that when someone comes and sits down and takes up more than the seat they purchased they have to move to allow someone who purchased one seat (available) to sit in more than one seat (unavailable)

+2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Bingo - if you're the size of a seat and a half you should buy 2 seats.  However, I know that's never going to happen.  So . .. at least have the courtesy to show up early so everyone else can adjust.  It just gets under my skin when I pay full price for my 4 year old to be at a game and she has to sit on my lap the whole time because others who are the size of 2 seats elect only to pay for 1 and then show up late.  My 4 year old either gets squashed like a bug or I hold her the whole game.

Re: 2.

Can someone comment on the effect of 100,000 cell phone users in a stadium-sized area attempting to simultaneously use phone/data/etc? Is there sufficient bandwidth (given that there are probably four different cell phone companies people use) to handle the massive amount of data? Not an EE, but curious nonetheless.

buckeyedude's picture

Sorry. Call me old fashioned, but aren't we supposed to be watching the game?

+4 HS
SwnsnGody's picture

Love your #3.  Maybe the new seating will help this entrance as they will be coming out of a tunnel.  Their music selection could be better, too (aka get rid of Seven nation army).  Get the team together and let them make the selection.  When they're hyped, the fans are hyped. 

"We determine when the team taps out" - Urban Meyer

jeremytwoface's picture
Their music selection could be better, too (aka get rid of Seven nation army). 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Add a few more National Championship Banners.

+16 HS

Just give us a few more years on this one..

This isn't Auburn, ya know.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+2 HS
BrutusBuckey3's picture

Add more Natty banners. More seats (maybe double deck the south stands like how PSU has it. Just to be bigger than scUM). Grass. 

+1 HS
TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

Do away with the whole "green" stadium thing...so sick of the whole overstated green agenda bs. Recycling is an overrated idea and an overall waste of money as a process.

-10 HS
rdubs's picture

Yep the Olentangy is right next to the stadium perfect place to just throw all the crap that accumulates by the end of the game.

+8 HS
TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

I'm not advocating littering...just think people are sick of the whole "We're going green" agenda from companies and institutions. A lot of it's the phony, "Look at us, we care!" marketing. But, a lot people really don't care, and are on to the ruse.

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Speak for yourself.

I, personally, would like to see even more companies/people go green.

+8 HS
rdubs's picture

Just yanking your chain.  And I agree that a lot of companies are phony about it, but when the whole stadium produces zero trash throughout a game, that is a pretty amazing accomplishment and when it takes essentially zero effort from fans by just choosing the correct bin to throw stuff in it doesn't seem like a big inconvenience.

+6 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

it might not go directly into the Olentangy but it does go to a landfill and is littering on a piece of property.

I think what you are actually complaining about is the boasting that they are green. To say you want them to stop the whole green thing kind of sounds like you want them to stop being green. I don't think you really mean that, I think you mean you want them to stop talking about it and making a big deal and just do it as if they are supposed to.

at least I hope that is what you mean. A difference is made with being green, you just don't see it because it only slows down the process. it doesn't change what is already happening. its more like hitting rewind once on your DVR and watching it go sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwlllllllllly nowhere. It is aggravating and many feel its not worth it. but its a hell of a lot better than hitting fast foward 4 times.

and I agree that I hate the whole "going green" propaganda they put out. Why don't they just say what we all really know what it is, stop creating so much waste. Yes we all create some waste but some people are just straight awful about it. but I am sure not going to go live in the woods and wipe my ass with a leaf!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

They market it a lot because if a building the size of Ohio Stadium with the number of people they have can go near zero waste, so can Jack and Jill six-pack at their home.  Ohio Stadium and the Scarlet Gray and Green initiative are serving as examples.

I have no problem with the implementation or the marketing of it.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

AWESOME THREAD!!! Makes for great reading and is getting me to think about something I haven't put much thought in before. I agree with BuckguyFan1, lets get some more NC banners to hang in there.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

The opposing team's locker room would have Nickleback/Creed playing non stop.

+15 HS
droessl's picture

That would make Iowa's pink visiting locker room seem like paradise by comparison. 

+3 HS
German Buckeye's picture

There are those who actually like those two bands music.  Don't know why people bash them all the time.

DannyBeane's picture

Wait... there are people that actually support Nickelback? We must find these people... and stop them.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

While I will agree that both of those bands have at least 1 song I don't mind but if I had to listen to them for hours n hours, over n over....................it could have the opposite effect, might really piss a team off really bad, lol. I know it would piss me off.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Make it cheaper.  I can't believe no one has said this yet.

"If you root for Michigan, the terrorists win."

+19 HS

+22 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is adorable.

+2 HS
BuckeyeKing02's picture

Who is that???  Definitely got my upvote.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

That is my future ex wife.

+8 HS

Playerz don't bother with names, fool!

I honestly had to look it up..

Her name is Yvonne Strahovski.  She was a star on the show Dexter

jeremytwoface's picture

I know her as Miranda....

+4 HS

Yes..  Mass Effect is an awesome game

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Beer and WiFi.

That's all I want in life.

+8 HS
J.Mo's picture

If beer comes to Ohio Stadium, I'm sure it will like $6 or $7 for a 12oz Bud Light. I can live without beer being sold in the 'Shoe because I'll do my drinking before and/or after the game and buy a 6 pack for the price of 1.5 beers inside the 'Shoe.

jeremytwoface's picture

Well technically alcohol is prohibited outside of the stadium as well... 

But I'm more thinking along the lines of keeping your buzz throughout the whole game. I would drink before the game also but if I could have one or two during the game, or at least have the option to, that would be good.

Plus I think it would make the crowd a little more raucous.

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

Technically the speed limit on 270 is 65 also.

+18 HS
J.Mo's picture

1. Wi-fi
2. move students to AA along the East side of the stadium. Put the noise behind the visitor's bench. 
3. I sat in like 15C or 13C in the back of the section for The Game in 2012. That was the most obstructed view ever. Put a damn video screen on the wall of the pressbox so fans can see what's going on when the ball is on the South side of the 50. Was able to move to another seat thankfully to see the game. Can't believe they even sell tickets for those seats. Or make this a visitor's section.

+2 HS
mobboss1984's picture

A loud test? Sir that is genious!!!

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

1. Old person seating. All the old smelly people who just want to sit on their asses and complain about everyone else standing and having fun need to have their own section away from the fans with a pulse. They have to sit in rocking chairs and all they can buy is Lipton sweet tea and Worther's Orignial.

2. Make the restrooms less nasty.

Our Honor Defend!

+8 HS
KingsRite's picture

I believe they have upgraded the cell coverage/capacity at the stadium. Maybe wifi will be next. Progressive Field got a wifi upgrade recently so you never know.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

brandonbauer87's picture

First come, first served seating would be great. The only problem is it will never work. There's way too much money invested in those AA seats. 

1.  Beer, Beer, Beer.

2.  Eliminate noon games all together.   The 'Shoe is a like freaking morgue before 3:30.

3.  Pipe in the game day feed of Paul Keels over the loudspeakers so that the Jack-wagons behind me can figure out why I just jumped out of my seat and about knocked them over onto their 90 year old ass.

4.  More Highlights and scores of the other games around the country.  I mean this is 2014.  This one shouldn't be that hard.

Special Mention:  I don't get why all the hate directed towards Buck I Guy or the Big Nut.  I've met both of them, and they seem like pretty good dudes.

I would have a special section for all the costumed crusaders to encourage more of it.  If not in costume then you cannot sit there.  To me, this is just one of the many things that makes the college game-day experience better than that of the pros.  The NFL doesn't have much of this.  Well..unless you're in Oakland or frequent the Dawg Pound.

+4 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Big nut and buck-I-guy get the hate because they seem more interested in getting themselves on tv than enjoying the game. Half the game (for such big fans) they appear to be staring at the tv cameras than the action. 

+4 HS

Most of the female Cheerleaders have no clue what's going on during the game..Yet we don't want them banned.

just agree to disagree, I guess.

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

Do you happen to know mindtwinmedia?

+3 HS

Not sure with what your referencing here Oyster.  I wouldn't have any problem with more costumed drunken college kids being put on TV if that's your point.  It's just part of the atmosphere.

chicagobuckeye's picture

They also don't claim to be the "biggest buckeye fans ever". The cheerleaders are also (both men and women) doing other things during the game whereas the huge fans are able to watch the games. I don't hate them, I think they are overly conceited and don't serve much of a purpose, but comparing the ultimate fans to cheerleaders is really comparing apples and oranges. 

+2 HS
J.Mo's picture

Up-voted you on getting rid of 'noon games.

Now onto Buck-I-Guy and Buckeye Man and Big Nut. Have you ever sat by any of them at a game? If so you should understand the hatred. I had a few seasons in 28AA behind Buckeye Man or whatever and he's not even watching most the game. More concerned with taking pictures. Big Nut is probably the least evil of the 3 listed. Buck-I-Guy is the worst.

+2 HS

I have actually.  Last year @Purdue and once at Illinois.  They just strike me as any other TV slut out there.  

They do their social-media thing on camera for the world to see instead of Twitter.  I've simply never found it to be a big deal.  Judgment is not my right of birth.  Buckeye fans of all sizes, shapes and colors are welcome my world.

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I believe the Big nut is the bald one. I'm not sure the name of the black cowboy guy and the white guy with the mullet but last year at the Northwestern game I had a chance to talk to the white guy with the mullet as he came into the same bar I was at. He wasn't that social and actually seemed down or depressed. But like the others are saying, it seems to seek out the camera and all of a sudden his personality changes.

OvalBeachBum's picture

I wanted to like what you said, but you mentioned being ok with Buck-i-guy and 

big Nut.  Thats simply not acceptable.

"In the words of the late great Colonel Sanders, I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Earle's picture

Can we repaint this, please?

Actually, I'm kind of torn about this.  While I hate seeing those colors in Ohio Stadium, it is a nod to the rivalry--no, forget it, paint it Scarlet and Gray.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+3 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I say double or nothing. We paint the entire other teams stadium?

+1 HS

That would be epic.  Redo it every time the other team wins.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I can't believe this never happened during Tressel's reign over that state up north.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+4 HS
causeicouldntgo43's picture

I hate it too, but it does "stoke the hate" and makes you remember why we have the rivalry.

chicagobuckeye's picture

*insert complaint about someone whose rich, old, disabled etc. and isn't enjoying the game the same as me*

i get it you want it loud, yet everyone should be able to enjoy the game however they want.

i would go the opposite way. On the opposite side of the club seats. Right at the 50 in either direction make it standing room only. Anyone who wants to stand yell etc. Is more than welcome to with no one in front or behind to complain and visa versa. Take out the seats completely, make it general admission for these sections and you can fit more people in and make up for the cheaper tickets with more tickets sold so no lost revenue.

this way the disabled vet behind you doesn't have to stare at your ass the entire game and you don't have to complain about the disabled vet going to their first game paying the same as you. 

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Perfect solution, AND it raises attendance numbers. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

1. Grass. I think that is obvious. I preferred, and miss, the green grass, Scarlet and Gray endzone and midfield paint. The field now looks like something my friends and I would design in high school on NCAA Football. This just looks better IMO:

2. Make everything more affordable for families. I know the school needs to make money off of these games, but it is insanely expensive to go to a game with my wife and kids.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+3 HS
ohst8buxCP's picture

I'm cool with going back to grass but I think the old paint job was kinda boring. If we brought it back i'd like to see Paint around the outside of the endzones and up the sideline like the rose bowl does. 

kb1's picture

BEER....that is all.

+3 HS
niblick's picture

1- natural grass

2- beer

3- jerseys that actually have both of our school colors on them, scarlet AND grey, not some wisconsin/nebraska look-a-like bullshit

+5 HS
Jeeves's picture

I want the stadium management to so hone the in game experience to my personal tastes that there no longer exist any indications that I am taking part in a communal event surrounded by my fellow human beings. I propose over 110,000 personal comfort pods complete with wi-fi, satellite television in case the buckeye game gets boring, a vast array of piped in music selection, seat to toilet converter and an easy bake oven. Oh and if you can have a flatbed truck pick me up at my house inside my pod and take me to and from the game that would be nice.

Then throw in a real grass field and a shrubbery to cover those gosh awful concrete walls and I will be a happy fan.

+9 HS
Jeeves's picture

I put that in there as a throwaway.

+2 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Good theory of negotiations. I was just wondering what one would be cooking mid game.

+1 HS
Scott's picture

I wish the university would do something about the south stands facade. From the base of the concrete it looks like the south exterior was supposed to have archways like those around the rest of the stadium, but it just looks incomplete. I don't have an explanation for why it looks the way it does and would appreciate some insight if anyone knows, but I would love for the south entrance to have a finish worthy of Ohio Stadium. For now that whole side looks like an afterthought.

Ohio Stadium - South Entrance

Class of 2008

+4 HS
Keith's picture

Totally agree. Having one arch on each end makes little sense.  There has to be an untold story because visual evidence appears pretty strong this wasn't the original plan.

+2 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER! 

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I'll take the obvious ones...beer/WiFi/real grass... and raise you a Raising Cane's concession stand or two.

And this has nothing to do with football, but I want to see the 'Shoe host a WrestleMania some day.

Class of 2010.

+4 HS
Devin1024's picture

Either find a way to get rid of the obstructed view seating, remove the obstructions somehow or make those seats completely free. 

+2 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Fireworks.  Heard that really "adds to the experience"

+4 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Make it look like this again (1922 Ohio Stadium Dedication Game):

Dedication Game

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

Suck-Et Conference (SEC) sucks.

-1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Shall we go back to facemaskless leather helmets as well?

+2 HS
osuisnumber1's picture

Double deck the south end, I like the student section at both ends. They would be the most harassing bunch. Grass definitely. Everything else stays the same. It is too iconic to change.

-1 HS
SwnsnGody's picture

Free donuts?

I'll follow suit with 75% of above posts: Sell Beer or maybe BYOB (hey, a kid can dream right?)

I love adding a second deck to south stands.  Take the students from all over stadium and put them there.  This would make the stadium deafening and would lower ticket prices (ha ha).

"We determine when the team taps out" - Urban Meyer

buckeyedude's picture

How about they let people bring small coolers too?
The only problem with adding a deck to the south stands is, wouldn't it block that beautiful new scoreboard/entertainment screen?

+1 HS
Joebobb's picture

Bring back the Grass!!!!!!

MichaelJ721984's picture

When were we allowed to smoke weed in the stadium?!?!?!

+6 HS
Gametime's picture

I would find a way to segregate the seats even more - I would segregate them by age, group, &/or intent and do this by hooking up with some smart guys in the acoustics department.

In order for this to work, we want to situate more students and fans who would be seated in (or buy) what I'll call "Atmospheric Seats".

These seats are for students and fans alike who want to be loud, rowdy, and participate in leading cheers with the Block O along with and overall intensity of the environment.

Place them strategically around the stadium to create a whirlwind of noise throughout - meanwhile have different blocks of seats which will be assigned to older fans and families who will sit and watch the game and not necessarily want to be around the louder, rowdy fans, but place them in areas that don't carry sound as well.

Definitely double deck anywhere students are situated and also I like the idea creating a standing area for people to pile in and stand watching the game. It would be easy to make a step structure so people could see over each other.

You guys had some great ideas overall - I'd like to see grass fields back and new endzone art, and honestly Beer would be great if for nothing else than allowing them to lower ticket prices.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

I love the actual architecture of the old stadium but I have never liked how the new facade works with the old. Honestly, it's pretty hideous and it really hurts me to say that.

Bring back the dorms inside the stadium.

Find a way to ensure that there are no obstructed views in C deck. I feel so back for those people who can only see 1/2 of the field.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

ponder10's picture

PS: T-SHIRT CANNONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q: What do Americans love more than fighting over a tacky tshirt with a small school logo on the front and a NASCAR front hood size Coca-Cola logo on the back?

A: Nothing!

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+2 HS
AeroBuckeye2001's picture

I'm an alumnus and season ticket holder. I caught a t-shirt during last year's Michigan game and it's my most prized possession. 

The Ohio State University Class of 2001
BS Aero & Astronautical Engineering

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

Put the Stadium Dorm back - it was a great tradition.

Block all Cellular signals - less posting, more screaming!

Mercurius's picture
  1. For Music: I personally would resurrect Freddie Mercury with a curse that only let's him live in Ohio Stadium and I think we should fly The Black Keys to every home game and have them play Ohio in place of where every Seventh Army Nation is currently played. If we're resurrecting people, I'd go ahead and bring back Woody to cover press confences and public relations with the state of Michigan and bad referees. All major networks should have a contract that requires the TBDBITL halftime show to be shown, commercial free, at the halftime of every game; it's obviously better than whatever they are currently showing.
  2. Fireworks: A system that would launch a firework that exploded as a giant double middle finger (i.e. Marcus Hall) should be installed in Ann Arbor and go off every time tOSU scores--anywhere. The only fireworks in Ohio Stadium should be associated with the TBDBITL.
  3. Building: The victory bell should be installed on a graphene space elevator so the whole world knows when we win and can see the location of Ohio Stadium. A giant geodesic dome should be able to rise out of the ground and cover the whole stadium from inclement weather. The world's largest train station should be installed as part of the stadium with bullet trains from NYC, Chicago and LA nonstop to Cbus. B-deck pillars would be made with a translucent material. All urinals and toilets should be in the shape of *ichigan or their stadium.
  4. Technology: A three dimensional scoreboard that uses Amazon's retina tracking system should be installed for all 110,000 seats.
  5. Food: Ray Ray's Hog Pit, Thurns and Los Guachos Taqueria would be the only food vendors. Alcohol would be served but it would be all Ohio based micro breweries and classic cocktails.
  6. Crowd: A system would be installed that would spray quiet home sections of the stadium with a cocktail of a strong stimulant (e.g. methylphenidate or MDMA) and a mild hallucinogen and disinhibitior (e.g. GHB). Maybe a mild dose of sildenafil for especially nonchalant persons.
  7. Bans: Lifetime bans should be implemented for Mark May and Matt Millen. I'm sure there are more.
+1 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

I know I'm going to sound like an old guy with this, but I've never liked the band being in the south stands. 

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

BucksfanXC's picture

I just want the red in the endzone to be a more team official scarlet hue. I'll go with turf over grass because it's safer, cleaner looking on TV, easier to maintain, etc.

Wifi would be huge so I can call and text people to meet up afterwards or at halftime, Tweet/Facebook/Instagram/etc pics and comments during the games.

Better concessions, which apparently they are working on.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

Smanpoint10's picture

Turf is safer than grass? From what I hear it is worse because it has no give like grass which makes it cause more knee and ankle injuries

niblick's picture

old turf no, new turf yes, safer.  still ugly and generic? yes to both.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Old turf certainly caused a fair share of knee injuries. New turf is supposed to be like grass, that is just more durable so it doesn't get torn up, uneven, lumpy, etc.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Maintenance/ cost is the biggest reason for them installing field turf.  My freshman year, 2006, they replaced the turf four times in one season.  You can imagine the cost.  Then it was removed in one fell swoop after The Game by many people.  I got a piece of the sod but accidentally left it in my dorm room over break and it was subsequently thrown out. 

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
M Man's picture

If you don't mind my saying, the very best feature of Ohio Stadium is the Rotunda.  Nobody else has anything like it in the Conference.  You guys should make it a gleaming, sparkling centerpiece.  There's been a good effort so far.  The Block O stained-glass window is nice, and so are the photo-hanging things.  But it needs a good cleaning and sandblasting outside, and the inside should look less like a garage.

As I say, it is a magnificent edifice and the best part of the stadium (since the south end of the 'Shoe was enclosed); I just think it could be 1000% better.

My favorite picture of Ohio Stadium is not a photograph but rather the program cover from your dedication game in 1927:

+7 HS
512buckeye's picture

Neutron Man hologram.

Let's party, Columbus.

+2 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

To everyone that wants to add beer, that would eliminate one of my favorite buckeye traditions, one that ranks right up there with the skull session and script ohio, and that is the moment of nervousness, excitement, anticipation and hope that is attempting to smuggle a bottle of crown royal in your pants past the guards. Long live prohibition! 

Still not giving a damn for the whole state of Michigan. 

+6 HS
airbuckeye's picture

Make the vistors room blue with Smurf like lockers and play the smurf song over and over from friday till after the game.

whiskeyjuice's picture

laaa, laaa, la la la, 

rightfield's picture

1) Second deck on south stands. Of course the scoreboard would have to be moved (no small feat).

2) more rows added to C deck (20-30?) even around the north end zone. Incorporating the concrete risers where the troopers stand would be tricky but that is what engineers are for.

3) Add a surround cover over 1/2 of C Deck.This would accent the Horse Shoe look, keep some weather off of fans, keep a lot of sound in the stadium(crazy loud). Picture something between Cowboy Stadium and Unv, of Washington.

Note; The field can not be lowered anymore as earlier mentioned and grass can not be sustained there any more because of the "tub effect" now in play as also mentioned. Also, don't we want a fast track because the Buckeyes are going to faster than 99.9% of the teams they play.

Its good to be the king

+1 HS
NGBuck21's picture

I saw a request for an upper deck in the south stands and figured I would attempt to show a visual as to what that would look like. Please forgive the terrible photoshop skill shown in the picture as I only know how to use the clone stamp tool in that thing. Thats why it looks like a tornado is looming in the background. If anyone can actually use photoshop as intended it would be awesome to see someone put an upper deck that looks good on there.

Before:

After:

+8 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I think the looming tornado makes it look better. Bravo!

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
NatiBuck's picture

I don't really know if you count this as a change to the stadium but I think it would be pretty cool if they played Closing Time by Semisonic over the loud speakers in games the Buckeyes were winning during 4th quarter TV time outs or right at the end of the game.  The whole stadium singing that would be pretty awesome if you ask me.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

What a great way to end the game. They could start playing the song during the timeout. Put the words up on the screen and let over 100,000 rabid fans take it home from there.

Note to self: get the marketing department on the horn ASAP.

+1 HS
Silver_bullet_tex's picture

Sharks with friggin' laser beams attached to their heads.

+1 HS
danderson05's picture

First post! I'm coming from bucknuts and I decided to join because I've heard nothing but good things about this site. But I like the song whoomp there it is for a buckeye bounce song, not sure if any other notable colleges use it

+2 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

Welcome to 11W!  We hope you stick around!  I'm not sure exactly what songs I would want played, but I would love a song that is exclusive to the 'Shoe.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

danderson05's picture

I defiantly will! I've been posting on bucknuts for around 4 years and I like this site already!

Travis's picture

I would like to see the crowd even closer to the field.

Yea, I know they're close as it is, but I want the opposing team to feel the sound that stadium makes. I want it to be the most intimidating atmosphere in college football. I want Happy Valley, The Swamp, etc. to realize wow we aren't like that.

They need a 2 to tie, a 3 to win it; Sylvester for threeeee... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHH WITH FIVE POINT ONE TO GO!!!

+1 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Really, there aren't too many physical improvements to be made. I would start my imaginary renovations with fixing up the outside appearance (the stains over the entrance have become rather ugly). Adding another tier to the south side stands would be next on my wish list. I also debated long and hard about adding individual seats to add to the overall comfort of the experience but I figure the cons will outweigh the potential gains. The best improvements to be made are not physical upgrades to the structure of the stadium, but improvements to the atmosphere (not that there is much wrong in that regard either). Instead of grouping the student section in one area, I would like to reserve the first couple rows all the way around the stadium for those who pay the tuition to be there. They're noisier and crazier and provide better atmosphere. And it somewhat solves our problem of Buckeye Guy and his trusty sidekick hogging all the tv time. Lifting the probation on alcohol would be much appreciated as well.

-1 HS
b-dub4545's picture

Short lingerie bowl game during half-time? Can someone post a GIF?

-1 HS
M Man's picture

TBDBITL does that at midnight, right?

+1 HS
GABuckeye's picture

I think all that crap is disgusting, but this sir was HILARIOUS!!!!

Seattle Linga's picture

How about pink locker rooms because we all know how that has worked out for Iowa.