Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

It's time to stop clubbing baby seals

PennBuckeyeNation's picture
July 22, 2014 at 7:23pm
66 Comments

After reading the tweets of the #1 OSU hater and listening year after year to ALL the OSU hating ESPN analysis,  It's time to stop clubbing on baby seals and schedule more than one killer shark each season.  The home state BroMance with DIV I powerhouses like Akron, Youngstown State, and this seasons Kent State (without Coach Hazell) is getting old; especially with the new playoff strength of schedule standard. No wonder why the B1G mandated ONLY DIV 1 cupcakes, Delaney knows it matters.

If an SEC team looses an early match up and wins out,their still in the mix. If a B1G school looses one game, we're out of the playoffs. A product of perception and strength of schedule.

Even eliminating the "little sisters of the poor" Championship Sub Division schools, OSU should implement Nick Sabans' idea to his conference at Media Days; to schedule only the "power 5 conference" teams as your out of conference games. If your scared to put your money where your mouth is, then at least add one more power home/away match up. With teams being scheduled five years in advance, who knows if Oregon will be good in 2020 & 2021; or us for that matter. Five years ago VA Tech looked like a better matchup than they do this season.

The added power teams will be security for strength of schedule when a down VA Tech shows up half a decade later. Let Akron and the rest of the "baby seals" play each other. It's the only way our team and the B1G schools will start "earning" their respect, unless your scared of the competition. And don't go there with a warm up game. Wisconsin's warm up this season is the highly ranked recruiting school named the LSU Tigers. Go Bucks!

brunstar's picture

Your first mistake was watching ESPiN.  They have a financial interest in the SEC and have been pissed at the B1G since it launched the B1G Network.  If you want ESPiN to quit being biased changed the channel.  If it keeps losing viewers and money eventually it will change its programming.

Fact:  Bama has the weakest OCC schedule this year.

+16 HS

You totally blew it. This had nothing to do with ESPN but us. Go figure? Reading with scarlet glasses.

Pennsylvania Buckeye

-10 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Reading with no glasses. Typing with one finger, missing a lot.

+4 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

It doesn't matter how weak their OOC schedule is...that's the point. Their in conference schedule is much harder.

They played: Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, LSU and Auburn.  And, their marquee OOC was VaTech...which happens to be the same one that we are playing this year.  VaTech is also better than Cal.

Compare that to us playing: Wisconsin and Northwestern (TTUN, despite the close game, was just too crappy to list on here).  We didn't play MSU until the conference championship.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

When did we play an FCS school in November. Big dick nick apparently forgot that November game against Chattanooga last year. Regardless  of their conference having just as bad of an ooc schedule as Ohio state means their difficulty of schedule is on par with osu.  

-1 HS
brunstar's picture

It's really amazing how middle of the road Big XII teams like Missouri and Texas A&M were able to join the SEC and be so competitive.  If the SEC was that tough top to bottom both of those teams should be in the lower portion of the conference standings.  Why does the SEC have a such a tough conference?  They have a really good promoter named ESPiN.

+7 HS
rosenbuck's picture

You know who Wisconsin plays right after LSU? An FCS school, Bowling Green, and South Florida.  Collectively, OSU's schedule is more challenging. We play 3 good teams in the non-con and Wisconsin plays 1.5. As Brunstar stated, Bama's SOS is awful.  OSU has actually been way ahead of the curve scheduling marquee games against big schools such as Texas, USC, Va Tech, Oklahoma, et al. Those teams are certainly more impressive than the lists plenty of other Power 5 schools have played in recent memory.  Everybody has at least one crap game on the schedule (usually more) and it will stay that way until there are actual requirements because: wins.

+8 HS

It's all about us. We need strength in our schedule, the SEC has it built into their conference schedule. Four B1G schools projected in the top 25 compared to 8 out of !2 SEC schools projected top 25. You do the strength of schedule math. Keep thinking it's comparable, the committee won't.

Pennsylvania Buckeye

-10 HS
rosenbuck's picture

There's 14 SEC schools now, just like the B1G. Projections don't matter, but if you want to go there our SOS for next season comes in at #36 according to the NCAA methodology (which still matters- for now) and sbnation ranked our non-con 10th among AQ schools. That puts the Bucks ahead of: Bama, LSU, FSU, Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA and Baylor (and tied us with Florida). We have a very competitive schedule this year and that will likely be the trend going forward.

And on top of all that, we have no idea what the committee will do, seeing as there's never been one before. 

+13 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

But...but...SssEeeCee!

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+11 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Get your facts out of here man....pretty sure this dude isn't serious.

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

The B1G needs to win their head to head non-conference match-ups, most especially against SEC teams to change the national perception. It would also help if the national champion isn't from the SEC for a few years.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
OnlyOne's picture

How is it possible to know anyone's SOS before anyone has played a game?  This is one of the problems (but also blessings) with college football, one's history and rep (and conference) carry too much weight.  There is never a "turn" champion, so we got to keep on playing year after year.  It is the reason for things like 11W.  No matter the record, the score the Buckeyes are Champions and I will agrue the point until my death.  The things is there is a guy in Ana Arbor who feels the same about his team, a guy South Bend, a guy in LA, State College, Austin, ....  This is what makes college football great.  I think that a playoff and power 5 nonsense will hurt college football in the long run.  Like  how the BCS destroyed one of college football's great traditions, the Cotton Bowl.

+2 HS
M Man's picture

Everybody has at least one crap game on the schedule (usually more) and it will stay that way until there are actual requirements because: wins.

With all due respect, it really isn't "all about wins."  On second thought, it is "a little bit about wins."  The only "win" number that counts is six, and lots of schools like Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana and Purdue really want to be able to get to six wins and become bowl-eligible. 

But the way that "six wins" has manifested itself over the years, is the resistance to more conference games.  So 'Please,' they would say, 'Eight conference games is more than enough.  Could we make it seven?'  Not so much, 'We gotta schedule the local community college.'

Now the real problem for Ohio State and Michigan -- and every other program in their class -- is not clubbing repetitive wins against Baby Seal University.   That's not the point.  The point is actually the challenge of finding the best schools possible, with the prerequisite that they won't require a return date.  It's all about home games, not easy games.  Dave Brandon at Michigan regards it as a non-negotiable imperative; he has to produce at least seven home games in Michigan Stadium each and every year.  That means that Brandon has to produce 3 out of 4 non-conference games at home.  There are at least three teams Brandon has had to contract with, every season, in which he says, "Our deal is that you will come to Michigan Stadium; you will come once, or twice, or three times.  And we will never make a return visit to your place.  The money you will get from us will be $X,XXX,XXX,XXX.  Sign here."  

It is hard to get teams to agree to that.  We can usually get the military academies to do it.  On rare occasions, we can get a Colorado, a Cincinnati, or a Hawaii to do it.  We had to agree to go to Utah, and Connecticut, to get them to play in Michigan Stadium.  On weird occasions, we might get an Oregon State or a UNLV to come to Ann Arbor with no reply visit on our part.

But that's what it is all about, my friends.  Do not think for one minute that Gene Smith would hesitate at all, if he could sign up to play Alabama, LSU and South Carolina; if, that is, he could get them all to come to Columbus.  But he can't do that.  Gene Smith needs to produce seven home games just like Brandon does.

+2 HS
OSUbonobo23's picture

*you're

I put the The, in The Ohio State Univeristy.

cajunbuckeye's picture

It's time to stop clubbing, baby seals.

+6 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Spartans' locker room designers should take notice about the correct usage.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+33 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Gosh darn baby seals!!! Always be clubbin'!

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+4 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

+14 HS
Bluke221's picture

My favorite show! The Reykjavik Shore.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+8 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Heard this yesterday in a conference -------- thought it was perfect

+7 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I'm not a bleeding heart, but count me in on that one.

unknownmusketeer's picture

Alabama (Roll Tide) OOC Schedule

West Virginia

Florida Atlantic

Southern Miss

Western Carolina

Please identify the "power" team that Alabama (Roll Tide) plays.

+10 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

But they play wcu in November so wcu has hit their mid season stride... Right before auburn.  

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I really hope the media brings up how poor the bama non-conference schedule is this as much as it was brought up last year with OSU.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+3 HS
saltybuck61's picture

They won't. Alabama consistently has a terrible out of conference schedule, and a weak schedule in general. However, since they have won national titles recently and recruit better than everyone else, no one questions whether or not they are good enough.

+5 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Have you looked at our 10 year schedule lately?  Home and home with VT, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and TCU. Also UNC and BC. 

+7 HS
blocko330's picture

I'm sorry Penn I know I'm not the spelling police, but I just can't take anyone seriously that can't spell "LOSING" correctly for crying out loud.  Though I agree we should schedule a tougher OOC schedule it's not in our best interest when no other team in the country has more than 1 tough OOC game.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+9 HS
AngryWoody's picture

You'll have to admit, the tweet of OSU adding Burger King to their home schedule was classic and hilarious. Not much of a stretch compared to the home state BroMance with DIV I powerhouses like Akron, Youngstown State, and this seasons Kent State; without Coach Hazell. No wonder why the B1G mandated ONLY DIV 1 cupcakes. Lets stop clubbing on baby seals and schedule more than one killer shark each season. It's the only way our team and the B1G schools will start "earning" their respect. Go Bucks! #babySeals #BillisKing

This was a comment you left in another thread. You have three helmet stickers. You are an obvious troll man (and a bad one at that). Please cut the crap.

Our Honor Defend!

+12 HS
AndyVance's picture

Come to think of it, I've never seen @RoyBrow54071170 and PennBuckeyeNation in the same place at the same time...

+10 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

And Penn's favorite sports moment on his profile is the "waaaaay to late" PI call in the 2002 NCG. That is both strangely confusing and suspicious.

+7 HS

Sometimes the truth hurts. I'm not a blind fanatic. But the trophy is still ours.

Pennsylvania Buckeye

-10 HS
blocko330's picture

They had to make up for that incomplete call on 3rd down in regulation --- call that correctly and there is no OT....only fair

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

Call it interference like it was.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+5 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Contact with gamble without locating the ball. Textbook call.

+23 HS
Wilkins78's picture

That people still debate this call at all boggles my mind.  How many pictures, diagrams and replays of something do people need?  Is it like moon landing conspiracy theorists?

+4 HS
Terry Porter's picture

Sorry guys. Couldn't get the flag out of my pocket. Pants too tight.

1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970, 2002, and counting.

+7 HS

It's a good thing it's allowable to comment on a thread and then bring that same opinion up for discussion in a forum, or you would've had a good take.   Nice work Angry Woody, a cut and paste off of my profile and name calling. Obviously, computer skills a grown man learns while still living in his moms basement. You out smarted every one this time. I would suggest for you to take a bow for such insight and research but your immature take failed to disprove any of my points. So I'm glad you agree with me on our "strength of schedule" to post my point a third time.

In that same Public profile, you would have noted that I have three stickers because I'm a new member who just decided to comment for the first time this week on an intriguing subject like strength of schedule and our programs perception. Nice team spirit for a H.S. drop out enjoying my universities football program. We welcome fans from all over; even from their mommy's basement spare bedroom. 

Pennsylvania Buckeye

-10 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I decided to comment on an intriguing topic like ooc scheduling and thought, hey let me name it stop clubbing baby seals and completely ignore the fact that the osu ooc this year is actually pretty highly regarded. I'm then going to bring up Alabamas schedule and completely ignore their crappy ooc and the fact that they schedule FCS teams in November. But I wasn't trying to be inflammatory, just bring up an intriguing topic. 

+8 HS
Boxley's picture

Perhaps being a newbie, you might listen to a little advice. You posted your opinion, when others disagree, attacking them is NOT the way to continue an educational dialogue.

When others disagree with your posting, use facts not insults to carry your position.

Just possibly some helpful suggestions.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

+8 HS
AngryWoody's picture

It's a good thing it's allowable to comment on a thread and then bring that same opinion up for discussion in a forum, or you would've had a good take.   Nice work Angry Woody, a cut and paste off of my profile and name calling. Obviously, computer skills a grown man learns while still living in his moms basement. You out smarted every one this time. I would suggest for you to take a bow for such insight and research but your immature take failed to disprove any of my points. So I'm glad you agree with me on our "strength of schedule" to post my point a third time.

In that same Public profile, you would have noted that I have three stickers because I'm a new member who just decided to comment for the first time this week on an intriguing subject like strength of schedule and our programs perception. Nice team spirit for a H.S. drop out enjoying my universities football program. We welcome fans from all over; even from their mommy's basement spare bedroom. 

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Actually our OOC schedule is pretty damn good this year, though last year was as bad as I can ever remember. Va Tech, Cincinnati, and Navy is about as good of top 3 OOC opponents as anyone. SB Nation agrees (I know) http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/26/5401692/2014-college-football-out-of-conference-schedules-best-worst

10 best AQ non-conference schedules

1.Texas: North Texas, BYU, UCLA
2.Iowa State: North Dakota State, at Iowa, Toledo
3.West Virginia: Alabama, Towson, at Maryland
4.USC: Fresno State, at Boston College, Notre Dame
5.Missouri: South Dakota State, at Toledo, UCF, Indiana
6.Oklahoma State: Florida State, Missouri State, UTSA
7.Florida State: Oklahoma State, The Citadel, Notre Dame, Florida
8.North Carolina: Liberty, San Diego State, at East Carolina, at Notre Dame
9.Minnesota: Eastern Illinois, Middle Tennessee, at TCU, San Jose State
10.Ohio State: Navy, Virginia Tech, Kent State, Cincinnati

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+6 HS
CincyOSU's picture

What are these people smoking to think Iowa, Missouri, and Minn have top 10 Non conf schedules or better than OSU? How is FSU not #1? This list is awful. 

+8 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Because Florida will be playing on offense 10 against 12 with an extra blocker. 

+8 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I agree that the list is pretty bad. Or perhaps it shows just how bad non-conference scheduling is that these are the "Top 10".

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

This!

- TruthTeller

hit_the_couch's picture

Because UF lost to someone in the D1AA and Muschamp is a horrible coach and ND stinks.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

1stYrBuckIClub's picture

Let me then be the bearer of bad news (and I only know this because as a season ticket holder, it pains me to read the schedule before 'donating' for the 'opportunity' to buy season tickets). 2015 out of conference includes perennial powerhouses Hawaii and Western Michigan (along with non-Jordan Lynch-led Northern Illinois and the away portion of VT). Moving to the 9 game conference schedule (by default weakening our strength of schedule) we host BCS-busting teams Bowling Green and Tulsa. For each of these games, for a pair of tickets (given that prices DO NOT INCREASE!!!) to a season ticket holder like myself: $372.28 (include minimum donation). Trust me, there's a lot of people putting their money where their fandom is who want to see quality opponents. 

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

Going to 9 conference games actually makes the overall schedule more difficult. Why do you think the sec is keeping only 8 games with a 14 team conference? More likelihood of undefeated teams meeting in their ccg.

+3 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

How amazing would it be to see WV come out and beat Alabama!!!! I'm picking that as my yearly "WTF, that wasn't suppose to happen" moment for the 2014 season.

+3 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I wait for 9 routes pick of the year. When he picked and FCS winner over kstate I now place the house on his picks. 

+4 HS
geoffrsc's picture

Baby seal goes into a bar.

Bartender: "What'll you have?"

Baby seal: "Anything but the Canadian Club."

+16 HS
TheShookster's picture

In Soviet Russia, seal club you!

+7 HS
rjsmitty's picture

That School up North should stop scheduling cupcakes too...like Appalachian State. App State hurt their SOS big time!

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

It's things like this that make my head hurt.  Can't we all just get along?

BuckminsterFullback's picture

I love baby seals.

They taste just like chicken.

+3 HS
apack614's picture

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

The SEC has league games early in the season. Therefore, if one is ranked and the other is not. Winners move up, losers don't drop as far because its early in the season. If an unranked SEC team beats a way too early ranked UGA team at say #12 both get added to the polls the next week. So while some of the tougher match ups take place early they play cubcakes mid to late season not losing while other conferences  usually have their top teams playing each other at that time. This means the early season SEC losers have all season to recover in the polls, while everyone is pretty screwed. The SEC does a good job of manipulating their league schedule to keep their teams in the polls.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+6 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Each team I think also gets 2 bye weeks. Then if you want to schedule Chattanoga before you play your big rivalry game that also is considered a virtual bye. They  are manipulating it like no other. Espin is covering for them in the process and feeding excuses for it. You are correct about the polls and it even goes deeper then that. When you start out ranked in the preason near the top 10 it benefits you greatly. Why would a Georgia or Florida team be ranked better then a Nebraska that beat said Georgia ? No logical reason.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

jamesrbrown322's picture

When they go to 9 conference games, I want Wisc-OSU protected. That's actually one of our oldest and most played rivals.

As far as non-conference scheduling goes, some of the media backlash is true. It was particularly true last year.  However, the media, and especially the guys at ESPN, who allowed Griese to go on a quarter long, misinformed rant alleging that OSU cancelled the Vandy game, didn't supply completely accurate information. OSU had to schedule a different opponent at the last minute to replace Vandy, leaving them very few choices, and Cal has become a trainwreck, which I don't think many people saw coming with Tedford at the helm (yes, I know he wasn't last year).

However, there is no excuse for the FAMU game. I am of the opinion that if you're a school like Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, or Wake Forest, get to 6 wins however you can if that's all that matters to you. But I find it unacceptable for teams like USC, Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, or Florida State to schedule I-AA (FCS) schools.

To play devil's advocate, if the B1G were as strong, top to bottom, with the track record over the last decade of the SEC, you wouldn't hear any complaints re: OSU's nonconference schedule. Right or wrong, it's true. Also, it does behoove ESPN to suck up to the SEC and continually stroke their ego. I have no issue with that. It's a business decision. What I hate is that they do this while being in a position to exert a tremendous amount of influence over pollsters, and more importantly, public perception, and hence the "selection committee."

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
M Man's picture

When we go to 9 conference games, there will be no "protected" cross-divisional rivalries at all, with the exceptional exception of Purdue-Indiana, because... oh hell, why not?  They don't have to keep score in that game if they don't want to.  They could play with a handicap system, or maybe just Stableford scoring, where really nice looking plays could earn points toward a final tally.  Nobody is worried about Purdue and Indiana upsetting any competitive balance.

But back to Bucky:  Just think how pissed you would be, as a long time Iowa/Wisconsin/Northwestern fan -- hell, any team in the B1G 'West' -- condemned to a future run of schedules where you'd be left to chance every four years on getting games (much less home games) against the marquee teams namely Michigan and Ohio State.

As for the B1G proudly proclaiming that they protected "10 of 13 rivalry trophy games"; yeah, they protected the Land Grant Trophy (PSU-MSU) but not the oldest and richest one of all, the Michigan-Minnesota Little Brown Jug.  Nor the Illibuck Trophy.

southbay's picture

A little late to the party, hope no one minds...at least the colors are right?

Save the Seals
+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Being late doesn't matter to me when you post that kind of picture

+2 HS