Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Most important player to his team in CFB?

IH8UOFM's picture
July 19, 2014 at 8:41am
28 Comments

I know there are a lot of variables that go into this, and the article on Braxton's health made me think long and hard on this one.

Who do you think would see the biggest drop-off should their star player get hurt? Part of me wants to say Todd Gurley from UGA and another part of me says Jameis Winston at FSU.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Marcus Mariota's injury and absence turned Oregon from great to good.  I'd go with him. Braxton is a close second and then I'd have Winston. 

Read my entire screen name....

+4 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I was contemplating saying Mariota. If MSU knocks him around/injures him, Oregon could go from Playoff contender to possibly, unranked. Good call.

+2 HS
Ashtabula's picture

I was going to post, then I read the first comment and it said everything I was thinking. So, I'll just up vote and go back to my coffee.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Great question, my first thought was Mariota, but it just seems that a player with game breaking ability always seems to surface on that team. I'll say Winston since he is considered the "best" player on what many believe to be the "best" team. 

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Last year I would have answered this undoubtedly, with Johnny Manziel.

+4 HS
Habu71's picture

Although Hyde would have been a good choice for last year as well. 

+2 HS
kgratz's picture

I'm going to come from left field a little bit here and say Trevor Knight (OU) and/or Conner Cook (MSU). If Braxton/Winston go down I think OSU and FSU have guys that can still keep the ship going. I don't think OU and MSU can do that. I think there is a significant talent drop from starter to backup. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Staying away from Braxton, and instead going with UCLA's Brett Hundley. Its difficult not to pick a QB, but UCLA has the look of a team that can win the Pac-12 and compete for a national title with Hundley under center. I like what Mora's done out there and UCLA was going to be a good team without Hundley but no where near the national title talk as they are now with his decision to come back. He does down, UCLA doesn't even win the Pac-12 South, much less compete for a national title. My 2nd place would go to Coker at Bama because of all the hype around him and the relative lack of experience. Much of the media is acting like he will just come in and run the show like McCarron but I don't see it, so he has to be elite or Bama  could fall to 3rd in the SEC West. My 3rd is Stefon Diggs, just because he is by far Maryland's best player and only real threat IMO to change ball games for them. I'm not saying that with him they are competing for the B1G, but without him, I don't see them making a bowl game, he is just that good. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hundley should have a great season in the Pac-12 - nice mention FT18

Cook (MSU) and Gurley (GA) would be devastating. 

Even though they won't be great this year - Hack from PSU would be a tough loss for the kiddies. 

+2 HS
OnceaBuckeye's picture

Cook (MSU)

And when we win the game we'll buy a keg of brew

+2 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

It has to be Scott Sypniewski for TTUN. If he goes down early in year, it could be the difference between winning 5 games or winning 2.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+12 HS
OSU069's picture

Braxton or Marcus Mariota. Next I would probably go with Winston and Brett Hundley. Also, a sleeper is Dak Prescott for Miss State. Many are predicting them to have a very good year and he is no doubt the key.

teddyballgame's picture

Braxton is super important for us this year.  I still don't trust Cardale or JT yet.

bucks15's picture

Nick Marshall at Auburn is worth a mention.  If he went down Auburn could drop from the top of the SEC to the bottom in a hurry, especially since they lost Tre Mason to the draft.  

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Its not like Auburn throws the ball alot though.

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Are we not allowed to choose Braxton? Because I'd definitely choose Braxton haha. I don't know how everyone else here feels, but as much as I'd like to, I really don't have a lot of confidence in Cardale Jones or J.T. Barrett right now. Don't get me wrong, I think Barrett will be fantastic in the future. But I think he needs another year of prep. We really only had the Spring Game by which to judge, but in my opinion you can tell he hadn't taken a lot of first/second team snaps, and didn't really have any rhythm with the offense. With Braxton leaving after this year, though, I think with the 2015 Spring and Fall Camp to take 1st/2nd team snaps and get in a rhythm with the WRs/TEs, he'll challenge Jones for the job and likely win it.

For non-OSU players: Auburn's Nick Marshall. I will be shocked if he's suspended the 1st game; despite the fact that Arkansas doesn't scare anyone at this point, it's harder to replace a QB who runs that offense effectively than people think. Jeremy Johnson did a decent job in the offense in limited snaps last year, but he was nowhere near the running threat Nick Marshall is. Personally, if they lost Marshall for any extended period of time due to injury, I think they drop back down to a 3-4 loss team. They may still be a 3-4 loss team with games against LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, A&M, Georgia and Alabama this year -- but I think they have a much better chance of navigating that minefield with Marshall at the helm. Even looking at last year's team, you could absolutely see the difference between that Auburn team before Nick Marshall, and after he took over. The offense was 10x more difficult to defend.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Any starting QB with experience for a top 10 contending team.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

Jameis Winston - while their team is still stacked with talent, losing your star QB who your entire offense is built around would be a huge hit.  Of course being in the ACC FSU might be able to take losing Winston a little easier than Oregon and Mariota.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

Ryan Timmons because without him, OSU is doomed

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

If you asked this question last year, I wouldnt have said Braxton. For the obvious reason that the backup situation was rock solid with Guiton. And the O Line was stacked. And I woukd have never thought loaing Bryant would have the effect it did with the experience and depth on the back end. That was the backbreaker when it mattered most.

But this year...its gotta be Braxton. No real defined backup, a young line and replacing the top RB and WR from last year. Theres very little margin for error with the level of inexperience not only behind him on the depth chart, but throughout the offense in general. Braxton is the straw that stirs the drink, and if he sees an extended absence this year like he did last year, it could derail the chase.

Mariota may be important, but at the same time, Stanford has laid the blueprint for beating them with a healthy Mariota. Its an offense based on speed, timing and spacing. If you hit them hard in the middle while maintaining the edges, it doesnt matter whos taking the snaps. Easier said than done...but ball control and physicality up front are the nemesis of Oregons offense.

+2 HS
jonping67's picture

If Keenan Reynold goes down for Navy they are in a world of hurt due to the fact they run the triple option. We will see him first hand in our opener. GO BUCKS!

+2 HS
Adam21's picture

I don't know if I think he is the most important player to his team in the country, but I definitely think Baylor's Bryce Petty at the least needs some consideration. 

TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

Thad Castle, (LB), Blue Mountain State 

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I see a lot of important QB's in this thread that if they were injured, it would suggest their team would probably have a hard time moving the ball. I think TTUN would be in deep, deep, deep trouble if Devin Gardner were to get injured. There isn't any real experience behind him. I'm not saying he would be the most important loss to a team, I'm saying that I would have a great time watching Hoke struggle on the sidelines and press conferences trying to replace the Senior, Gardner.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Is Gardner even their QB - don't think he's been named their starter yet. I thought that they may be moving him to WR.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I'm kinda assuming he will be the QB. I would think this would be a yr that Hoke would want to get all the wins he can. And unless he has some sort of phenom waiting to be unleashed, I would think he would stick with Gardner. He knows the plays, the system, and he has game experience. 

I also look at it this way, if Gardner is moved to WR and TTUN starts somebody else at QB. What would happen if that someone else were to get injured? Would Hoke move Gardner back to QB? Or would he put in another QB with no game experience? Just seems a little risky, but then again, Hoke is kind of on the hot seat this year. Who knows?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I just read an article that was posted a week ago. It seems that Gardner is still fighting to be the starting QB. So, at this point, I don't think they will move him to WR. But if he loses out on the QB job, then it will probably be Shane Morris that starts for TTUN. I don't know much about him.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Morris is the cocky self proclaimed world beater that was talking about how he will knock the Buckeyes off their perch year in and year out. Looks like a Diva - to me - but honestly I think he is more bark than bite. 

As for hoke - he'll be desperate after a few losses and as he heads into the teeth of the B1G schedule he will be making his standard irrational decisions. 

+1 HS