Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

OSU recruiting my son. Be there on 25th

MotownBuck's picture
July 18, 2014 at 11:08am
41 Comments

Well ... not really. Let me clarify. My son is heading in to his Sr year of High School. He's carrying a 4.3 GPA while taking international baccalaureate classes. He's been receiving emails, letters and phone calls non stop from tOSU. Pretty damn proud of him. We're scheduled and confirmed to come down on the 25th for the Ohio State Honors and Scholars Day. Hoping to drop in to catch a little Friday Night Lights action while there.

To be clear - it is free but the concessions cost an arm & leg?
Any word on if former players ie Eddie George will be in attendance this year?
Will all the cool kids be sitting in an 11W section? (Assuming Byrnes will be out back shooting craps lol)

And most importantly - what are the best spots to grab a bite around campus so my son can get a good feel for the the environment. It's been a long long time since I lived in Columbus an studied my craft at CCAD. Looking to get him out of Michigan for the next couple years and in to the great state of in which he was born - Ohio

Thanks guys, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

J.Mo's picture

Good food on campus/near campus? Don't take him to BW3s please!

Pizza: Adriatico's, Hound dogs

Breakfast: Hang Over Easy

I've grown up and haven't been around campus much and matured to Short North/Downtown for great food.

+3 HS
MotownBuck's picture

LOL. No doubt no Bdubs. Definitely want to hit the non chain restaurants if we can.

Thanks man!

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

To add to this:

Raising Cane's is the classic one. Same with Buckeye Donuts (great gyros and donuts), Apollo's (amazing gyros), and if you feel like driving, check out Piada or Tai's Asian Bistro. And if you're looking for something a bit nicer and right off campus, Eddie George's is good. Also, there's Plaza right across the street (construction on the front right now, but it's open) has incredible burritos.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
MotownBuck's picture

I'm familiar with Buckeye donuts from my time at CCAD and it's on my list. My kid is a donut junkie. Oh to have a teen metabolism again. Thanks TheBadOwl!

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

HOE and Adriatico's were literally the only places on campus where I LOVED to eat. Living on South Campus for 3 years helped.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+1 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

Honors and Scholars at Ohio State is excellent. I'm part of it was at the Honors and Scholars day last year. Tell your son congratulations from me and the rest of Buckeyenation and welcome to the family. 

+2 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Thank you! Will do! He's pretty excited. It's hard as a father and die-hard Buckeye to not overly influence your kids choice in school. It is his decision. Much like football recruits. And why I'll never bash a kid that chosoes to not attend OSU.

Except for UM. That's the only school where the letters don't make it from the mailbox to the inside the house. Eff them. It's his decision, but it's my mailbox, my house LOL Dad's gotta have some rules lol

+3 HS
apack614's picture

Eddie George's restraunt on high st., Thurmans is amazing! (Also just off high st), BD's Mongolian BBQ (Arena District, Ted's Buffalo Grille (Arena District) all of those are amazing place I highly suggest them!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Yes, I forgot about Eddie George's place! That is now on the list. Thank you!!

+1 HS
apack614's picture

Not a problem, Go Bucks!

MotownBuck's picture

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Canes Canes Canes.

As a current honors/scholars guy...congrats to you and your son!

Canes.

+5 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Thanks and Congrats to you as well!

This talk of Canes around my lunchtime is causing my gut to make whale song. Gotta eat.

+1 HS
Codeezy's picture

Like Down Periscope whale song? 

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Congrats, a very exciting time.

FNL is free. Concessions are discounted from gameday prices but still not great. Lots of food within walking distance of the Shoe.

I am sure that Urban will have some visitors at FNL. Wasn't Drake supposed to be there? I'm sure former players may be around but when I went last year there wasn't much of an opportunity to interact with any former, current, or future players.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Thank you Sir! What time does it even begin?

osu07asu10's picture

I think it will start around 7:00pm but will be more conditioning/drill based.for the first few hours. Once they are "under the lights" they get more into 1v1 and skill position drills.

It was real fun to watch Damon Webb and EGW going crazy last year. They had some spectacular 1v1 battles (EGW as a WR)

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Perfect! Thanks again!

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

As a fellow IB grad, I wish him the best of luck!! Nothing prepares you for college like IB!

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

That's what I like to hear! Especially from someone that's gone through it. Thank you! I went to art school and got my degree with a crayon so he obviously gets it from his momma.

+2 HS
OscarSierraUniform's picture

Adriatico's is ok.  Hound Dogs is good but overhyped.  As for pizza - Tommy's.  Good, traditional "Columbus" style pizza that has tasted the same for years - excellent.  Pep-n-mush or plain pepperoni.  A Buckeye tradition.

Raising Cane's.  Just another chain.  I can't get excited about a chicken tender restaurant. 

Eddie George's is a definite hit.

Pera has awesome Greek and Turkish food.  Apollo's is good too.

See ball, get ball.

+2 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Tommy's huh? Pizza is always welcome. And another vote for Eddie's. Thanks Oscar!

Crimson's picture

Tommy's is great if you like crispy thin crust pizza.  I don't think there's a lot of flavor to it, but it is crispy.

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Actually that's perfect. Wife loves crispy crust pizza. Whenever we're back in Dayton she HAS to stop at Marion's Pizza. Believe it or not you can't really get thin crispy crust pizza up here in Michigan without going to some pretentious expensive over hyped restaurant. Most places make their pizza "Detroit style" (Look it up, it actually exists). It's just a loaf of friggin bread with pizza sauce and toppings slapped on top.

+2 HS
apack614's picture

Marion's Pizza is a gift from God himself

OscarSierraUniform's picture

.....and it's usually rectangular.  Detroit knows how to go bankrupt and screw up pizza when they attempt to make it.

See ball, get ball.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If your son attends OSU, he'll spend a lot of money at Cane's. You might as well catch it while you're there. It is just a chain, but it's a damn good chain.

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Duly notes

Dweinz's picture

I remember when I visited a couple years ago for my honors/scholars visit. When we had free time we all went to canes. You can't go wrong with that. Congrats on your son having this opportunity! Definitely an exciting time and best of luck to him!

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Great! Thank you Dweinz!

TCOB_6's picture

Im not real familiar with the Columbus area, but if you like wings I hear Wings over Columbus is pretty great.

Wings over Columbus just might be one of my fav.

— BRAXTON MILLER (@BraxtonMiller5) July 13, 2014

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Best thing about Wings was free delivery haha.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

If they're good enough for him... *packs bib in suitcase*

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

My son attended Honors and Scholars Day today. We didn't see any former players or celebs (only Brutus)  but we spent the $11.50 BuckID card that every kid in attendance received at Buckeye Doughnuts. I think the bacon covered maple cream stick was the deciding factor for my son. It may be a better closer than Coach Coombs.

We had a great day! I cannot believe how much campus (and the campus area) has changed. It is so much nicer than the days of Al DeSantis. There is a lot of new construction taking place on and off campus. The only disappointment was when I walked down to Mirror Lake and found that it was still drained and fenced in with no construction happening there.

+3 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Glad to hear Buckeye donuts is still around and killing it. Better than Coombs? LOL "A DONUT? WE'RE STRETCHING!! AND YOU'RE AN HONOR AND SCHOLAR!"

+2 HS
puffy's picture

Congrats to your son! You have to eat at Easy Living Deli!!! 

Wilkins78's picture

Pizza and subs - Tommy's (no contest, but make sure to go to the one off-campus on Lane)

Other - Raisin Canes (chicken), Apollo's (gyros), Thurman's (burgers), Schmidt's (brats/sausage), Mama's (spaghetti/lasagne)

Of course you can't go wrong with Cap City or other Mitchell restaurants. 

Columbus has a new Miller's Ale House also.  Probably not what you were looking for this trip, but I love that place and I usually only get to eat there when I'm in Florida.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I work in Grandview and we make it up to Miller's Ale house for lunch regularly.  I probably can't say enough good things about that place.

WVpharmBuck09's picture

I dig Stauf's in Grandview for coffee/weekend breakfast.  The Crest on Indianola is a pretty cool spot for Sunday mornings if you'll still be in town.

Crimson's picture

Stauf's = Cup O' Joe, except Stauf's is a bit bigger and has more coffee addict flair.

TheTeam16's picture

Graduating with my IB diploma is one of the things I am most proud of in life, it is no small feat to put it lightly. I try all the time to explain to people how it is not "Just like AP classes..." It takes massive amounts of time and dedication to be successful at. You should be very proud, congratulations.