Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Nathan Williams, Ryan Miller and Company

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 18, 2014 at 9:31am
5 Comments

In 43 days Ohio State will play at Navy to start the 2014 season.  Below you will find the 28 players who have worn No. 43 for the Buckeyes. Today's featured players are Carl Kaplanoff, Ryan Miller and Nathan Williams.

How well do you know locations in Central Ohio? Go here to play the Where in Central Ohio is my Craig Krenzel Matryoshka Doll? Disclaimmer: The picture is blurry and I blame Bigfoot for blurriness. 

Carl Kaplanoff

1938 team captain Carl Kaplanoff (No. 43) with Michael Kabealo (QB).

1938 team captain Carl Kaplanoff (No. 43) with Michael Kabealo (QB).

Carl Kaplanoff, T (1936-38)
Born: 
1917 (Toledo)
High School: Bucyrus
Died: 1991

Ohio State:
The Buckeyes were 15-8-1 with Kaplanoff on the team.
Went 2-1 against That Team.

Honors:
1938 Captain.
1937 All-American.
1937 All-Big Ten.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide, footballarchives.comnfl.com 

Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller, LB (1992-96)

Ohio State:
The Buckeyes were 49-11-2 with Miller on the team.
1993 Big Ten Title.
1996 Big Ten Title.
1993 defeated BYU 28-21 to win the Holiday Bowl.
1997 defeated Arizona State 20-17 to win the Rose Bowl.

Honors:
1996 Ohio State Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

Ryan Miller's Ohio State career per ohiostatebuckeyes.com:

Miller was Co-Defensive MVP in 1996.

Miller was Co-Defensive MVP in 1996.

Ryan Miller has given the Buckeyes a lot to be proud of, on and off the field. As starting linebacker for the Ohio State football team, Miller was named co-Defensive Player of the year in his senior season and helped the Buckeyes clinch a 1997 Rose Bowl victory.

In 1999, Miller and his former Buckeye football teammates Luke Fickell and Mike Vrabel started the 2nd & 7 Foundation to promote children's literacy. Inspired by their own volunteer work as student-athletes at Ohio State, the three held a football camp to raise money for the program that provides books to Central Ohio second graders. Today the program involves not only Ohio State student-athletes, but many collegiate programs throughout the country.

Ryan, who graduated with a degree in economics and holds an MBA from Ohio State's Fisher College of Business, is currently the co-owner of m2 marketing, LLC and President of 2nd & 7.

Miller on his playing days at Ohio State per Steve Helwagen of ohiostate.scout.com:

"I couldn't be more proud, first and foremost, to say I wore the Scarlet and Gray and I ran out of that tunnel," Miller said. "That was the most amazing experience of my life. The relationships I built with these guys … I'm still really close with them.

Miller and The Silver Bullets.

Miller and The Silver Bullets.

"I always look back and think that's when Ohio State became cool again on a national level. I remember when I was being recruited by Ohio State from the high school level. Ohio State had kind of fallen off a little bit. I remember on my official visit John Cooper saying we could be a part of something special, and certainly we were during the four years I got a chance to play.

"That time frame set the table for the years to follow – the 1998 team they had and, of course, the 2002 national championship season. Coach Tressel has done a great job of keeping that ball rolling."

Miller on the difficulty of covering Ohio State football per Steve Helwagen of ohiostate.scout.com:

"That was the most difficult thing," Miller said. "You're an athlete and you're behind those closed doors for so long. Then you try to be a member of the media and try to be critical. That can be a touchy subject.

In 1998, offensive line coach Mike Jacobs did not like Ryan Miller's criticism.

In 1998, offensive line coach Mike Jacobs did not like Ryan Miller's criticism.

"I remember in 1998 Ohio State was No. 1 in the country. I knew the guys well because I had played in 1996. The offensive line, at the time, in my opinion, wasn't holding up their end of the bargain. I came on one morning and said, `Ohio State is not ranked No. 1 in the country because of their offensive line. It's because of their defense.'

"Well, the offensive line coach was Mike Jacobs at the time and he took exception to that. The next game was at Indiana and they racked up some ridiculous number on the ground. I'm in the postgame interview room and Coach Jacobs comes in from the press box. He beelines right over to me, mad as can be. He's saying, `You don't know what you're talking about,' and he's pointing at me.

"At that point, I thought, `Hey, we used to be buddies. We were hugging and kissing at the Rose Bowl and now he wants to rip my head off.' That was my baptism into the world of media.

Miller leaves 10tv per Steve Helwagen of ohiostate.scout.com:

Ryan Miller worked at 10TV WBNS from September 2000 through  June 2005. He won two Midwest Emmys.

Ryan Miller worked at 10TV WBNS from September 2000 through  June 2005. He won two Midwest Emmys.

After nearly five years at Channel 10, Miller made this decision, in part, so his work schedule would give him the flexibility to work around the hectic schedule of his wife, former OSU women's basketball player Lauren Shenk Miller, who is a third-year medical student at OSU.

"I am excited about it," Ryan Miller said. "Lauren is in her third year of medical school. Looking down the road, I know it is going to be interesting to see where she ends up with her residency. She has some options to take some rotations in some different places. I just need to be flexible with my job and with my schedule so that in the event she has to leave – and we're hoping she stays in Columbus – I can be able to move with her.

"I'm looking forward to this next chapter and it is very exciting because I know it's going to keep me around sports."

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide, secondandseven.com, ohiostate.scout.com, ohiostaebuckeyes.com 

Nathan Williams, one tough Buckeye.

Caption placeholder.

Nathan Williams, DE (2008-12)
Born: 
Washington Court House
High School: Miami Trace

Ohio State:
The Buckeyes were 51-13 with Williams on the team.
2008 Big Ten Title.
2009 Big Ten Title.
2012 Big Ten Leaders Title.
2012 Went 12-0.
2010 defeated Oregon 26-17 to win the Rose Bowl.
2011 defeated Arkansas 31-26 to win the Sugar Bowl.
Went 4-1 against That Team.

Honors:
2009 Academic All-Big Ten.

Nathan Williams' Ohio State career per ohiostatebuckeyes.com:

Nathan Williams signing is Letter of Intent to Ohio State.

Nathan Williams signing is Letter of Intent to Ohio State.

Overview:  Nathan spent five seasons with the Buckeyes and lettered four years ... a talented football player, Nathan successfully came back from season-ending surgery in 2011 to play in 10 games for the undefeated Buckeyes in 2012 ...

a fine football player whose return to the playing field was eagerly anticipated by the Ohio State coaching staff, Nathan started eight times and totaled 40 tackles and 3.5 tackles-for-loss as a senior ...

he finished his career a veteran of 45 Ohio State games and 20 starting assignments ... he also finishes with 25.0 career tackles-for-loss and 12 quarterback sacks - both totals were second among current Buckeyes - and 132 career tackles ... he also had an interception, five pass break-ups, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries ...

he recorded multiple quarterback sacks in games in 2008 (vs. Northwestern) and 2009 (vs. Purdue) ... his interception and 22-yard return on the first series helped secure a win over Miami in 2010 ... Nathan had 46 tackles as a junior in 2010 including 9.5 tackles-for-loss (totaling 44 yards) and 4.5 quarterback sacks to lead the team ...

[Williams exchanging pleasantries with Ryan Mallet.]
Williams is letting Ryan Mallet know that he had 25 tackles for loss and 12 sacks during his career at Ohio State.

Williams is letting Ryan Mallet know that he had 25 tackles for loss and 12 sacks during his career at Ohio State.

he recorded a career-best nine tackles (along with two TFLs and a sack) vs. Illinois ... recovered a fumble and had six tackles, including 2.5 TFLs, in the win over Michigan ...

as a sophomore in 2009, Nathan had 26 tackles, including eight TFLs and 3.5 quarterback sacks ... he played in all 13 games ... and he played in nine games as a true freshman in 2008, totaling 18 tackles, including four TFLs and two sacks.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide, ohiostatebuckeyes.com 

To read about the 25 other players to wear No. 43 and to see the 3 players who were selected in the NFL Draft go here. 

The Game

133 days until The Game.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments