Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

NFL to change early entrance policy

Groveport Heisman's picture
July 17, 2014 at 1:42pm
20 Comments

Satan just mentioned at media day that he submitted 11 junior players for early draft grades last year. He mentioned the NFL is getting overwhelmed and is changing their policy. Now teams will only be able to submit a max of 5 players for early draft grades per year. And he mentioned the new grading system is either 1st round grade,2nd round grade,or stay in school grade. There were 36  juniors who entered the draft last year and went completely undrafted. This should help the kids I would think but it also feels like it will help sec teams like LSU and Bama who some years could have up too 10 juniors that are worthy of a early  grade. What are some of your thoughts? Good or bad? Lets hear from Buckeye Nation.

Earle's picture

Good news for Saban and other coaches who want to keep marginal NFL prospects around for another year.  Bad news for marginal college players on one-year scholarships who will be pushed out by returning players and new recruits.

Italics are for emphasis.

+14 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I have to disagree with your last sentence. I don't think any NFL talent is being pushed away for unproven guys. 

Like anything I see the potential  for serious abuse with this rule.Say 7 guys are good enough on a Bama team for a early grade. One of the guys is the starting QB and the  starting LT where hypothetically Bama has zero depth. How do you justify the 5 names you send? How do you leave off the names you do not send? I would think the only schools that would get up over the 5 player rule would be all located in the sec. Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

The bad thing about football is there are only a few options for a kid who goes undrafted. What is there, Canada and multiple arena leagues? Basketball players can go overseas and earn a pretty good paycheck or try to earn their way in the NBDL. I know some guys who weren't that good mid-major college players who've had decent runs playing basketball overeseas. The opportunities for a basketball player are almost endless cause almost every country has leagues.

If I'm understanding what Saban's saying, and there's gonna be a cap on draft grades, is it necessary to get a draft grade for a kid to declare? I mean did South Carolina really need a grade for Clowney? Is there gonna be a cap for the number of grades or the number of kids that can declare early or both?

Earle's picture

I don't think the league can restrict the number of players who can declare.  That seems like a path to a lawsuit.  They can absolutely cap the number of players for which they provide their draft grades.  I really think that was just a way to keep marginal players from declaring, anyway.  Why have someone who's not ready to come out declare early when you have a free talent development program available?

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

But players who DON'T get grades, might THINK they are good enough.... And without the grade to prove them wrong, they could still just leave. So I'm sure that they will get evaluated in some way... There will probably be a whole new industry of former scouts providing private draft grades to players that can't submit through the school because of the limit.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Earle's picture

I'm sure there are plenty of agents ready and willing to provide "experts" who can overstate kids' draft prospects and induce them to leave early.  No conflict of interest there.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Exactly... 

If this is an actual thing, I think it's a bad idea.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Do you have a link or anything?

This really doesn't make sense to me.... Why would the NFL care if kids are leaving school early and not making a team? And how can the NFL make colleges only submit 5 players?

All I'm finding on the subject is a quote from Saban back in March about he would like it to be this way.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

So it just stops a team from sending more than 5 players to be evaluated?.... I doubt it will have a big impact since there are 7 rounds and if a player wants to leave and are good enough they will. Sounds more like a CYA for the NFL if a player goes undrafted. Next you could have issues where players who could have been drafted get injured because the could not be evaluated or were told to stay.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS

I will try to find a link but I seen it on live TV. They are not putting a limit on how many players that can declare. They are saying they will only give their draft grades to 5 players per team. I would say in a case like Clowney he would not need to see a grade. But  the kids that are maybe late first,second round type of  players would most certainly want to see that official NFL grade sheet. Also its a pretty big deal that they are either grading the kids now a 1st,2nd,or stay in school. It wasnt like that before.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jeremytwoface's picture

Well if that is the case, I'm not sure it will help at all... It may even cause more people to leave. That's why it doesn't really make sense to me.

If a player submits his name to be graded and gets, let's say, a 7th or not drafted grade. Well those underclassmen will more than likely come back, right?

If they don't have the opportunity to be graded, they will probably just leave because they don't have anyone telling them they aren't good enough.

And, in the information that I found about it from back in March, Saban said he would suggest that only players with 3rd round grades or better be invited to the combine..... Not that they can't leave school at all.

Yes Satan has been very vocal about the NFL changing something because he is tired of losing kids early to the draft process that he believes aren't ready yet. He wanted a pre-draft combine for juniors so they could see how they stacked up against the best of the best before actually having to declare for the draft and instantly losing eligibility. Cant find a link yet but maybe that is because the first anyones  heard about this was like an hour ago,at least the first I heard. Seems like the NFL finally gave in and compromised a little after 30 something guys declared early and went undrafted,I do  not think those kids are eligible for next years draft and they most certainly can't return to college for their senior year. So basically they are screwed. This probably wont be a huge deal but I can see some situations where it is going to pop up and cause some controversy.

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

I like the idea of the new grading system but it is stupid to limit the number of players to just 5 per team. If they limit the number of juniors receiving grades it should only affect teams outside the top 20 (pick your poll). The teams in the top 20 likely got there because they have more talented players than the teams not in the top 20.

+1 HS

Finally a article out:

HOOVER, Ala. -- Florida coach Will Muschamp said the NFL was "trying to help" with the rising number of underclassmen entering the NFL draft on Monday, but offered no explanation as to how.

Now we know what the changes will be, per NFL Media reporter Albert Breer, after Nick Saban hinted at them Thursday at SEC Media Days. TWEET: FYI: Saban was correct. Per @NFL, underclassmen will now be given 3 grades: 1st-round, 2nd-round, or neither, which equals "stay in school".

TWEET:The old system gave underclassmen four grades: 1st-round, 2nd-round, 3rd-5th-round, and "lower". So they erased the 3rd-5th category.

Saban also indicated that the NFL Draft Advisory Board, which provides underclassmen with feedback as to what their draft status would likely be, would limit the number of underclassmen from each school that can submit for feedback.

"I know the NFL has expressed some regret about some rules that they're ... we're only going to be allowed to submit -- and you need to check this out, because I just read it before I came over here -- five players for junior grades because it's getting overwhelming for (the NFL). We had 11 (request feedback) last year," Saban said. "And guys are going to get a first-round grade, a second-round grade, or a stay-in-school grade."

Previously, there was no limit to the number of underclassmen who could request feedback from the NFL for draft status, and that feedback was more detailed than what Saban described. Presumably, the five players chosen to receive feedback from the NFL will be the five with the most pro potential. The rest could be less inclined to turn pro early in the absence of a draft grade. Per NFL.com

bucksk1n's picture

I like change to limit player evaluations to 1st round, 2nd round, or stay-in-school but its ridiculous for the NFL to put a cap on the number of players evaluated.  College football saves them millions every year because they don't need to create a developmental league.  You'd think they'd put whatever resources are needed to help college football evaluate players and make sure those not ready for the draft are told to stay in school.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

if the NFL doesn't acknowledge it then it doesn't exist..... until the trial results come back.

vitaminB's picture

Juniors, check a mock draft, if you aint in it, then come back.  Problem solved.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Just my thoughts:

1. Good for the 1st and 2nd round or stay in school projections.

2. This shouldn't be limited per college team.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

It's not exactly a hard limit, they just won't guarantee more than 5. For a real world example: South Carolina could put 5 marginal guys in, while Clowney wouldn't need a grade.