Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

[Obligatory offseason post] Bold Predictions for 2014

TheBadOwl's picture
July 14, 2014 at 2:02pm
71 Comments

I'm bored at work, the offseason sucks, and I just want to think about Buckeye football, so it's time for the super obligatory "Post your bold predictions for the 2014 season" thread!

Here are my five bold predictions:

• Armani Reeves makes first or second team All-Big Ten, silences the haters.
  • Erick Smith beats out Tyvis Powell for one of the starting safety positions.
  • Corey Smith finishes as our second most productive receiver, behind Dontre Wilson
  • Terry McLaurin doesn't redshirt, gets one of the starting kick return spots.
  • Running backs rotate, Braxton leads Buckeyes in rushing, no individual 1000 yard rusher.

Post your own or tell me how stupid I am below.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Dontre Wilson our leading receiver? That's like bolded Ariel Bold and a font size too big prediction

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm not the only person who thinks so. And Percy Harvin's stats at Florida back it up. He led the Gators in receiving during his sophomore year, and was second on the team rushing behind Tebow.  

Dontre's a different player, and he'll be utilized more in the receiving game than in the rushing game. He'll be utilized a lot on swing passes, bubbles, hitches, slants, crossing routes, wheel routes out of the backfield, and probably on some seam routes as well. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

huh...well butter me up and call me Lurleen, I really didn't think of it like that. I just lumped Dontre in with the RB and didn't think that he'd be replacing our leading receiver (which was Philly).

Kudos

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Yeah, I think that Wilson will be utilized like a slightly bigger version of Tavon Austin, or, maybe, a Philly Brown that runs the ball more type.

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Dontre was the most consistent option and impressed the coaching staff more than any other receiver over the offseason workouts. However, to over look Devin Smith as being one of the top 2 receivers would be a mistake in my opinion.

IH8UOFM's picture

-At some point this year Brionte Dunn starts
-There will be a 1000 yard WR. I want to say Devin Smith but it depends.
-This will be a Top-10 defense in the nation.

-1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

-This will be a Top-10 defense in the nation.

With the amount of talent Ohio State has, that's not bold, it should be expected.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
funtubs's picture

If we have a top 10 defense, we will make it to the CFB Playoff finals

+7 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Even  if Braxton gets injured? Do you think the backup (most likely Cardale at this point) can move the offense and produce the needed points to win or do you think our defense will be so strong that it wouldn't matter if BM gets injured?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS
funtubs's picture

Fair point. If Braxton gets injured our offense is going to be mostly in the run game. It could still be possible with the playmakers that could step up but the path the the playoffs would be a lot tougher.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

- Rod Smith will lead the BigTen in rushing.

Boom.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+9 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I want this to happen...  so much.

+3 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Urban Meyer will not be eating pizza on a golf cart at the end of the year...

+8 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I've celebrated with cold pizza before, who hasn't?

Groveport Heisman's picture

Kwon- takes over a starting LBer spot as a true freshman.

J.Dixon-See's significant playing time and has over 300 receiving yards and 3 TD's

Oline- Starts out slow but becomes a dominate unit midway through the year.

Brax-Silences his critics and airs it out all year saving  his legs for crucial 3rd down plays to keep drives alive.Finishes top 3 for Heisman and is drafted in the first round.

Secondary-Shocks the World and leads the B1G in yards,passing TD's and finishes a top 10 unit in the Nation.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

Definitely some bold but reasonable prediction here. I like it. 

m5987usus's picture

I like the predictions except the Erick Smith one.  While it could happen, I just don't think he is going to come in right away and start.

O-H!

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Brady Hoke will be ran out of AA by the end of the year!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

WezBuck28's picture

Barrett beats out CJ at the guiton position and becomes braxton's back up..

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

At least 1 DL makes 1st Team All American

Braxton is Heisman finalist

Herbstreit is next Ohioan to return home

*SEC will over sign & *ichigan will still suck.

Damonbuckeye's picture

Herbstreit is not an Ohioan anymore he's an ESPNIAN..

+3 HS
kicks's picture

In response the OP:

While I believe Erick Smith will be very good and make the 2 deep, you think Tyvis won't be starting by the end of the year?  Not hating, just kinda shocked as Tyvis has played exceptional IMO.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Yeah, that was my boldest prediction.

I like Tyvis Powell a lot. Erick Smith will play in some capacity. I think Armani starts at corner opposite of Grant, then slides inside to play nickel on passing downs, with Conley/Apple/Webb/Lattimore getting the other outside corner spot. Just what I've been hearing.

Erick Smith, to me, is probably the best recruit we brought in this year, with the exception of McMillan. As I said, I'm a huge fan of Tyvis, he's played really well. He's got great size and good instincts, I just think that Smith is more explosive, more athletic, and has instincts that are at least on par with Tyvis's.

Smith is immediately in the two-deep. The other safety spot is a battle between Bell and Burrows. Smith will get a lot of reps in fall camp, and if he gets the defense down quick enough, I think he's got a good shot at making a run to start. Keep in mind that the cover 4 is a lot simpler of a scheme than last year's ridiculously stupid cover 3 shell.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

I like Armani Reeves at the nickel/star.

One of the reasons we got out of the Cover-4 and went to the Cover-3 was b/c Bryant got hurt.  Smith, Bell and Burrows are prototype Cover-4 safeties who can cover in man and help support the run defense

bethmowins's picture

-Erick Smith will see alot of playing time at the nickle

-Kwon will eventually start at a LBer position

- Braxton and EzE will both be 1000+ yd rushers

-Samuel will be a household name before the end of the season

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Will Rod Jones lead the team in rushing, Beth?

+5 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Our defense will lead the nation in sacks.

We will shut out PSU.

Navy gives us a scare... until halftime.

Clark will be a big play receiver.

TBDBITL will one up itself again.

+2 HS
kgratz's picture
  • Adolphus "Diesel" Washington will lead the DLine in sacks 
  • Curtis Grant leads the team in tackles
  • Rod Smith has a much bigger impact than we think he will have
  • Dontre Wilson has over 1500 total yards 
  • Braxton throws for 3000 and rushes for another 1000 and wins the heisman 
  • Offense is top 15 total rushing, top 25 total passing
  • Defense is top 5
  • We spank MSU
  • Win National Championship 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+11 HS
Him1stftballl8er's picture

Awesome predictions! 

The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the promotion of fools. 

+1 HS
NatiBuck's picture

That is a sexy list you got there

+1 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

1. We will have 5 special teams tds this year...speed kills!

2. Huerman will have 40+ catches...finally a major TE threat

3. Defense gets back to old fashioned smash mouth football...#1 in the conference

4. We beat Va Tech by at least 35

5. Braxton lives up to lofty expectations by winning the Heisman

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

* Ohio State becomes first school since 97 to put two defensive linemen on the consensus first-team All-American squad.

* Jalin Marshall reminds everyone why he was a blue chip recruit by contributing 1000 total yards and 6 TDs on offense.

* Doran Grant finishes the year as a Thorpe finalist and winds up a first-round pick in 2015.

+3 HS
Him1stftballl8er's picture

1) Eli Apple quietly takes over field corner and turns in All-B1G honirs

2) EzE and Dontre both acquire 1200 yards

3) Top 10 Defense

4) National Champions

5) All 4 dlineman make either AA or All Conference

The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the promotion of fools. 

+2 HS
45OH4IO's picture

The term "hurtin' buckaroo" becomes wildly popular and weaves itself into everyday America's daily vocabulary.

+13 HS
NatiBuck's picture
  1. Ohio State will have 6 sacks against Michigan
  2. Joey Bosa will go late 1st early 2nd round as a sophomore and I will have mixed emotions of happiness and sadness
+2 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

#2 Isn't possible so don't get too upset please.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+5 HS
NatiBuck's picture

Why would that not be possible?

Have to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
NatiBuck's picture

It's 2 seasons in college I believe. Johnny Manzel and Dave Clowney both just got drafted after their second seasons

-1 HS

No Sir. Johnny redshirted and played 2 full seasons. Jadeveon Clowney also played 3 seasons. Its been the rule forever  ever.

+2 HS
NatiBuck's picture

Huh... I don't know why I thought that. Thanks for making me a lot more excited for Joey Bosa

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Now you can be excited to see more of him rather than sad to see him go!

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

1. Urban walks away from Ohio State the day after we lose to MSU

2. Cardale Jones become a great backup, and heisman talk will surround him leading into next season.

3. Johnny Dixon will be a 1st team All-American

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Dry humor again, Bass?

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Bold predictions

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Losing to MSU?  Urban leaving?  ^ cringes, even though he knew you were being humorous, or bold. 

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

may not be that bold considering he's done it twice.

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
Knarcisi's picture
+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Guess Bassdropper thinks we're gonna rip off about 7 in a row against Sparty.

Killer nuts's picture

Bassdropper, why you no like upvotes?

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Kwon leads the team in tackles. 

+2 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture
  • Raekwon McMillian and Erick Smith work their way into the starting line-up
  • Michael Thomas finally carries his Spring success into the Fall, becomes a breakout star
  • Urban has been preaching the expansion of the TE role, instead, the Hybrid position comes to life
  • Braxton Miller uses a 3000 passing / 1000 rushing yard season and a record setting career to propel him to a first place finish in the Heisman voting
  • Ohio State will reach the finals in the CFB Playoff
  • The Silver Bullets redeem themselves after last season, rank among the top 10 defenses in the nation
  • Ohio State finishes with yet another top 3 recruiting class (though that's not so bold since the end of "The Drought" is it?)
AngryWoody's picture

- Purdue wins the west.

- Brady Hoke wins 10 games and is named B1G coach of the year.

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Beth Mowins doesn't call a Buckeye game. 

(Looking at the TV schedule for games with set times, there are none yet). 

+7 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Brax breaks no less than 4 sets of opponents' ankles before the end of the regular season.

+2 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

- The Buckeyes DOMINATE Michigan State on the road in their own house. 

- We will have one of the best safety combinations in college football with Vonn Bell and Tyvis Powell. 

- Michael Thomas emerges as one of the best WR's in the Big Ten. 

+2 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

1. Joey Bosa leads the B1G for sacks and nation in TFl.
2. Eze rushes for 1436 yards with 16 TD's.
3. WR's actually come to life led by Dontre which results in him going over a 1000 yards.
4. Playing off 3 Braxton finishes with 3100 yards passing and 900 rushing and 64.7 comp % leading to the heisman.
5. OSU winner of first CFP.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

Those are some bold predictions, my friend. I like where your head is - and I think if two of the first four things happen, the fifth one is incredibly possible.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Denard Robinson Devin Gardner wins the September Heisman and almost leads the skunkbears to a few B1G wins.  Attempts another TD pass to an opposing defense but it falls incomplete this time.

apack614's picture

We never lose again

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS

We make it through the whole year without having any major hurtin Buckaroo's.

512buckeye's picture

Beamer coaches his best game ever, still not enough to leave Columbus with a win.

Let's party, Columbus.

+1 HS
highwire's picture

Fourth quarter of the Inaugural CFB Playoff Championship. Alabama leads Ohio State 21-17. The Buckeyes are driving with less than a minute to go when...Miller goes down from a cheap shot. A hushed stadium looks on with concern. Then it happens. All eyes towards the sky as LeBron James descends from the rafters in an Ohio State Jersey. LeBron takes the snap from center and breaks approx. 23 tackles on the way to the endzone. The camera pans to a celebrating Braxton who is completely fine. In the corner of the video feed a shadowy figure is shown exiting the tunnel. Enhance. It's the ghost of the great Woody Hayes. Hayes heads straight for Nick Saban, hits him with a right hook, and disappears into the mist. The sheer force of this moment causes a shift in the earth, literally flipping the continent. Now that the SEC is in the North, their recruits inevitably become slower. Oh, and this plays in the background the entire time.

+3 HS
TheNorthernBuckeye's picture
  • Braxton will win the Heisman
  • Smith will win one of the starting safety spots
  • Webb will play significantly 
  • The defense will be top 10
  • Chris Ash wins Broyles Award 

"You're an angry football team, and I'm proud to be your coach." - UFM

+1 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

I am absolutely TERRIBLE when it comes to predictions but my hope is that this team is mentally strong enough to get through the ups and downs of a season and make it a memorable one..

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Defense has a great season and holds three opponents to 14 points or less.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

That's rather unbold. I expect them to hold 3 non-conference foes to 14 or less.

BrutusBuckey3's picture

We will have a top 3-4 offense this year...not so bold...but, hear me out on this.....our D will be even better than our offense. 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

If that is the case, we will win the national championship.

+1 HS