Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Greatest Buckeyes By Position - WR

Fly Patterns's picture
July 10, 2014 at 11:49pm
38 Comments

So my buddies and I passed the time last year in the last few weeks before the season by naming our favorite/best Buckeyes at each position a day at a time. The only rule we had was that the player had to play in the Cooper era through the Meyer era since none of us (my friends and I) are old enough to remember any players from the Bruce era or earlier.

I thought I'd give this a shot on the forum and see where it goes. If it catches on I will either repost other positions or edit this one. Maybe with Bron Bron threads and Scott and Baker news this will get drowned out. Worth a shot.

I will start with Wide Receivers. And let's go with your top two.

Mine are David Boston and Michael Jenkins. Boston was a freak athlete, and I think he holds the career TD mark, no? Three year starter. And I remember the Rose Bowl against ASU. Jenkins because, well, you know why. 4th & 1. And he was so reliable.

Let's hear it!

Bluke221's picture

Ginn and Jenkins.

Both came up huge time and time again. Both key components of title game runs.

Holy Buckeye is one of my all time favorite OSU memories and watching Ginn shift the field on his patented reverses was fun to watch.

Our honor defend we will fight to the end for Ohio..

osu07asu10's picture

Carter, Galloway, Boston, Glenn are all better than Ginn and Jenkins.

Heck, I'm not sure Ginn was the best wide receiver on the team with Santonio Holmes. Ginn obviously had elite speed and athleticism but Santonio had the better career stats. Teddy did damage in the return game (and some rushing) but even with those stats Holmes had as many TDs as Ginn.

Also, that elite speed allowed him to less than adequate at running crisp routes and furthermore at tOSU, he really only ran a 3 (I believe) routes his entire career.

Teddy is probably the greatest "athlete" to have played at Ohio State. At least in my lifetime.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

C'mon guys, this is a good point. Downvote bad content, not because you disagree.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Haha thanks Urbz. I think I ruffled a few feathers for calling out the OP on an LBJ thread and as a result picked up a few of those serial dvers

-1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

100% absolutely agree. Carter is no doubt the best I've seen play but since the OP Asked they play under Coop, Tress or Urb gotta take him off my list. 

Ginn and Gamble were the two best game changing athletes during that period that happened to played receiver. But I don't think they make my top 5 pure RECEIVER list

But Galloway, Glenn, Boston, Chris Sanders and Holmes were the best pure receivers in that span. Absolute beasts. 

Best tandem? Another tough one. Holmes & Ginn (dat speed) or Sanders and Galloway. (dat speed again)

I can't pick. Who's throwing to em? LOL

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

MotownBuck's picture

jamesrbrown322's picture

Santonio Holmes and David Boston.

However, if we're talking two guys on the field at the same time, Holmes and Ginn were a nightmare to cover.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Either one of those were nightmares by themselves.

Seattle Linga's picture

The G brothers Ginn and Glenn

Fly Patterns's picture

I don't know for sure but I think Glenn had the single greatest season of any WR in Buckeye history stat wise.

jamesrbrown322's picture

He did, hence why he won the Biletnikoff. Many forget that OSU had arguably (they all won awards signifying so) the best Offensive Lineman, Best WR, and Best RB in the nation all in one season. 

Boston's 1998 season was something to behold as well...especially that *ichigan game. I've never seen an OSU WR play that well in such a huge game.

Rob Reese's picture

I've got to go with #7 my man Teddy Ginn Jr.  I can't argue definitively that he was "the best" in that time frame, but certainly my favorite. I remember one point early in one of his OSU seasons, he had like 4 TD's while only having touched the ball up to that point like 6 or 7 times.  Lol! WR+PR+KR.  Total freak.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Cris Carter,Joey Galloway,Terry(her)Glenn,David Boston,Santonio Holmes,David Boston,Michael Jenkins,Ted Ginn jr.,Anthony Gonzales.Dane Sanszenbacher, So many greats to chose from really. I think I'm going to roll with the future and say Dontre Wilson.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

IH8UOFM's picture

Loved me some Sanzenbacher. Dude knew how to make huge plays. Plays like this one...

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

LOL @ Glenn and "her"

+1 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

Terry Glenn & David Boston

buckskin's picture

Carter and the leader of the killer G's, Joey Galloway.

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

So many. I think Roy Hall was very underrated. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Roy Hall aint got shit on Kenyon Rambo or Bam Childress.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Don't forget Reggie Germany and Ray Small!

jamesrbrown322's picture

I was gonna say Carter, as he's a no brainer, but OP specified Cooper era on I believe...

Fly Patterns's picture

I did, but only because I have only vague memories of any players or games before Cooper.  I don't remember watching, say, Carter at WR or Spielman at LB.

+1 HS
cdub4's picture

I love to say Carter but due to the restrictions, for me Glenn and Boston.

Fly Patterns's picture

If I post for other positions I am going to open it up to any player the the person commenting remembers. I'm calling BS if anyone says Vic Janowicz when we get to RB!

+2 HS
Remy's picture

By career numbers and staying in your timeline I would go with David Boston and Michael Jenkins. Terry Glenn had arguably the best season for an Ohio State receiver in 1995.

Pass Receptions - Career Yards Years
1. 191 David Boston 2,855.................................... 1996-98
2. 168 Cris Carter 2,725.................................... 1984-86
3. 165 Michael Jenkins 2,898.................................... 1999-03
4. 154 Gary Williams 2,792.................................... 1979-82
5. 140 Santonio Holmes 2,295.................................... 2003-05

Pass Reception Yards - Career Recp Years
1. 2,898 Michael Jenkins 165....................................... 2000-03
2. 2,855 David Boston 191....................................... 1996-98

3. 2,792 Gary Williams 154....................................... 1979-82
4. 2,725 Cris Carter 168....................................... 1984-86
5. 2,295 Santonio Holmes 140....................................... 2003-05

Touchdown Receptions - Career Years
1. 34 David Boston 1996-98
2. 27 Cris Carter 1984-86
3. 25 Santonio Holmes 2003-05
4. 24 Brian Robiskie 2005-08
5. 19 Dane Sanzenbacher 2007-10

Most 100+ Yard Games in a Career Years
1. 14 David Boston 1996-98
2. 10 Michael Jenkins 2001-03

3. 9 Cris Carter 1984-86
4. 8 Gary Williams 1979-82
5. 7 Terry Glenn 1993-95

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Sometimes forget how good Michael Jenkins was. I mean obviously there is Holy Buckeye but he was just so solid as a buckeye. Didn't have a elite speed but was still able to stretch the field (17.5 ypc career), was sure handed, and just always seemed to be the guy when needed.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Ken-yon Rambo

I mean, have you seen First Blood?

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Didn't he go straight to the Columbus Destroyers?

Edit: Dude has his own Wiki page, I didn't think he was that famous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken-Yon_Rambo

JohnnyKozmo's picture

This is the type of receiver we need on a consistent basis-who wants to tackle this guy?

allinosu's picture

Some of it has to do with who is throwing the ball to you. Chris Carter is my vote but I remember thinking at the time Gary Williams was different than receivers who came before. If we played teams like USC our receiver would get caught from behind but not Gary as he proved in the rose bowl. If we count other factors such as being in the right place at the right time, good football sense, good blocking, and etc., then Dane Sanzenbacher moves up the list.

Hovenaut's picture

One for the elders here.

He was a running back at OSU...Woody and his disdain for the forward pass and all...but Paul Warfield is worthy of mention here.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
MotownBuck's picture

I remember him showing up at one of my HS practices and all of our angry pissed off screaming coaches turned into a bunch of squeelin little Justin Beiber fans. Paul Warfield. That dude is legendary. In another era under a different scheme...

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

You mean the Hall of Fame wide receiver?...naw, he's not good

Fly Patterns's picture

So the most votes here went to David Boston. Jenkins, Ginn, and Glenn all tied for second.

I'd like to see where this goes for other positions. Next category I'll post will be top two offensive lineman not named Orlando Pace since Pace is arguably the best O Lineman in college FB history.

whiskeyjuice's picture

This is way too hard for me to decide the best two. But if forced, I would have to say Michael Jenkins (winning the national title helps his cause IMO). What makes this hard is that there are different QB's that threw to these receivers. If we shuffled the QB's and offense style then the stats for these receivers could be drastically different. But based on stats and performance, My second would have to be David Boston. He had great size and benefited from having Joe Germaine throwing balls his way. I never really understood how Germaine never amounted to anything in the pro's

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

whiskeyjuice's picture

My pics of David Boston and Michael Jenkins are not coming through. I don't know why. I have changed the size several times so thats not it...........

whiskeyjuice's picture