Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Program decline and rise of a new arch rival?

whiskeyjuice's picture
July 8, 2014 at 9:04pm
34 Comments

I recently read about a student attendance decline at the home football games at *ichigan University. It is to the point where they no longer allow bird's eye view shots from the good year blimp. And there is no sign of it improving this year. The article made it seem like it was a problem at that program only. Would there be any worries for the rest of the big ten? I know OSU seems to be in high standings with the student participation at the home football games...........But *ichigan??? I am not an expert on their history but this seems like the worst their program has been in my lifetime. The App state loss, the rich rod era, losing to their rivals almost every year for over a decade, etc, etc..........

Which starts another topic, to be a great conference, I would think there needs to be at least a couple top programs that perform consistently well. Other than OSU, there is a struggle between several schools to perform on a high level consistently. *ichigan State is on the rise.............could they replace *ichigan University as our main rival?

UrbzRenewal's picture

*ichigan State is on the rise.............could they replace *ichigan University as our main rival?

No.

+21 HS
The Butler's picture

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+10 HS
brunstar's picture

Our rivalry with TSUN goes back to the border war for Toledo.  Nothing will ever match the history and intensity of The Game.

+13 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Best rivalry in sports not just college football IMO

+12 HS
Habu71's picture

100% agree with you Seattle!

The blood drive the weekend of The Game is even hotly contested. It's not just sports, it's everything related to the two states. I was on staff of a high school basketball team that had same colors as TTUN. My 8 yr old daughter protested me wearing the colors, but said it was ok as long as I took them off as soon as I got home. She was not a sports fan yet she understood. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks Habu - btw your daughter has style and class.

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

and, as I recall, MI still sucks

+5 HS
makearuckus's picture

....could they replace *ichigan University as our main rival?  I 'm stilll on the wall on this one , i still see _ichigan as the primere rivalary games in CFB. IT could happen if things dont get better for ttun in the future.

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

There is a strong chance that we will overtake ttun for top attendance in the nation this year, though. I believe they've had that title something like 29 of the last 30 years or some bullshit.

+2 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

I know this is off topic, and I hope I don't get DV'ed into oblivion for my opinion here, but do we really have to avoid saying University of Michigan? I get it, and I know its a Woody-ism that has lasted for decades, but I'm over it. I hate Michigan as much as the next guy, dont get me wrong, but my pops always taught me that "the minute you don't respect your opponent is the minute you've lost". Plus, I think Brady Hoke is childish and immature for calling us "Ohio". I don't want to stoop to his level. Plus, Brady Hoke proves my dads life lesson to be true. He has a losing record to "Ohio". I'm sorry for ranting. I love the trash talk between the teams and never want it to end.

+5 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I know this is off topic, and I hope I don't get DV'ed into oblivion for my opinion here, but do we really have to avoid saying University of Michigan?

Yes. The relevant federal law is even printed on your birth certificate.

+4 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

I was born in Germany...

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

This terrifies anyone from Brazil.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This is a reenactment of what happened.

+2 HS
lsjSnail's picture

I'm with you. It's like reading youtube/ESPN comments sometimes. 

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

TTUN has sucked before their current suckiness. This is nothing new.

I cannot wait for the day when OSU passes UM for the all-time series lead. It's coming.

+5 HS
Poison nuts's picture

That will be a glorious day!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Just another reason to keep hoke there another decade or two

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Or rehire rich "dick" rod. Lol

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

-1 HS
blocko330's picture

Rivalry and what win means the most in a season can sometimes be different things... For scUM, a shitty season ending in a victory over the buckeyes is a winning season for them and The Game will be all they talk about.... For our buckeyes it's safe to say the Michigan state game will be a far better win  for us than beating UM...

so CAN a different game mean more? Yes, with CFB Playoff absolutely... But as for rivalries, there are none better.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

Poison nuts's picture

They are our main rival & always will be. Their decline will not likely last. Whether they replace Hoke or Brandon or both, I believe their mediocrity won't be forever. As much as many of us say otherwise (including myself on occasion), in many ways it is better for OSU when they are relevant.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

kicks's picture

New rivalry?  Lol, they've beat us twice since 2000.  If Dantonio keeps up the way he's coaching and developing players, he probably won't even be around much longer before the bigger schools come calling.

+2 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

Bigger schools may come calling, but I believe he could accomplish his goals at MSU. He had them very close last year.

hit_the_couch's picture

MD is also pushing 60. He may stay and retire at MSU, especially if his heart issues get worse. I don't see MSU doing much in the future or becoming a new rival either.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Jbucks's picture

i always see it this way
1. Hate ichigan but respect and appreciate ichigan w/O that great rivalry the tradition wouldnt be as great as it is now for us.there would not be a woody 10 year war and the B1G wouldnt have been precieved as thr best conference (before we lost to florida which is when the SEC "took over") Woody hated ichigan but respected Bo. And when it comes down to it OSU cant live in the B1G w/o ichigan being a top team simply bcuz without that rivalry being at the top OSU will always be considered good team in bad conference and gets hammered for it national media wise, but when ichigan is on top ala 2002? when it was ichigan 1 OSU #2 It was dubbed game of the century. When ichigan is on top thats what we get. and thats what we need.
though i do remember b4 last years "GAME" espns poll showed that the college world has not forgotten the rivalry when 70% of voters voted "The Game" as best rivalry in all of sports beating Lakers Celtics and Yankess BoSox

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

whiskeyjuice's picture

I completely understand the tradition "The Game" brings OSU, the B1G and College football, but things have changed so much within college football in the last decade vs. the 50 years prior. College football is about different uni's now, it's about possibly paying student athlete's, it's about leaving old conferences and joining new conferences. The move to having playoffs is bigger than the move to BCS back in 98'. It just seems that nothing is sacred as it use to be. And if the *ichigan fan base continues to give up on their program....................it could lead into new and different scenarios..............just saying'

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

-1 HS
KBonay's picture

Why would we ever want to stop making fun of this...........

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

Fell out of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down...twice.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

And then got run over by the ugly truck!!

The Rill Dill's picture

What a true mouth breather.  Pure Michigan.

+2 HS
DaBuckMD's picture

I remember seeing this same thread on Michigan forums years ago about their biggest rival being MSU.  Then OSU hired Tressel and made the world right again.

kevdale86's picture

During the Cooper years, Michigan owned Ohio State. Their fans were even saying that it wasn't much a rivalry anymore. They said MSU was a bigger rival and more important game. Enter the Vest and now Urban and the tables have turned. So in the last 26 years, Ohio State's record vs Michigan is 13-12-1. I'd say that's pretty even. For oldtimers like me, there is no replacing Michigan as our main rival. 13 years is just a blip in the entirety of this rivalry. And it might be over half the life span of some of my fellow 11W members. Michigan might be down now, but they will be back. Just not anytime soon I hope.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

TTUN will be back. I have no doubt of this. Sparty is toast the minute Dantonio leaves, which is a possibility because everyone would LOVE to have his defensive staff.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

Buck Wild's picture

Why do you post multiple babbling non-insightful questions redundantly here & on the recruiting board? I am all for getting others thoughts, but gee, take some time to better understand/research the team & their tradition... 

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987