Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Are we underestimating M*ch*g*n?

AngryWoody's picture
July 3, 2014 at 11:07pm
105 Comments

Does anyone else have the feeling that they could be really good next year? Before you start asking yourself if I'm under the influence of mind-altering drugs, hear me out. They lost five regular season games and, despite having the worst offensive line I have ever seen in a high-major cfb team (of 125 teams they were 109th in sacks allowed and 115th in yards per carry), they were inches from being 11-1 at the end of the year. Only in one game (MSU) did they get flat out curb stomped. All four of their other losses came by a combined 11 pts (or 2.75 ppg). The o-line didn't have to be good, if they just had a damn pulse there is a huge chance UM ends the season 11-1 (including beating us in AA) and takes our place in the Orange Bowl. Plus when you look at the way they lost, the freak plays in overtime to Penn State, Iowa's second half comeback, a last second interception in The Game, they were in every single game they played right up to the last seconds (minus the MSU game).

If that o-line gets better (and believe me, there is NO WAY IN HELL they will have an o-line that bad for a long time to come), and Devin Gardner can get just a little better UM will not only be a good team, they will potentially be a contender for the not only the B1G, but a darkhorse for the first CFB playoff.

I know you all will laugh at me now, but call me in November and we'll see who's right.

HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

I think you just over-estimated Michigan.

+31 HS
M Man's picture

I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I'll be calling you in November then.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
AngryWoody's picture
+9 HS
JollyFatMan's picture

Did you forget to add the sarcasm font?

How firm thy friendship..

+4 HS
osu407's picture

Remember, they also were only a play or two away from losing to Akron, and UConn. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

+35 HS
TCOB_6's picture

And it took 3 OT's to beat Northwestern. If we're going to look at their close losses, we need to also look at their close wins as well. In reality they were as close to being 4-8 as they were to being 11-1.

+22 HS
DaveStephens's picture

With the refs help to bail them out again Akron.  Bad spot for 4th down if I recall.

The Dude abides.

+4 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

I truly hope they're undefeated coming into their 12th game.

+12 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I hope that they are 0-11 coming into The Game.

+7 HS
OnlyOne's picture

I agree.  Would much rather beat a TTUN with a good record.  A good TTUN is good for the B1G and the Buckeyes.

+8 HS
CentralFloridaBuckeye's picture

While I know this is true it is really hard for me to hope that they are undefeated coming into THE GAME. 

I just like to see them lose so much.  The past few years (decade) has been pretty good.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Brutus's picture

Go back to about a year ago today and you'll find a similar post questioning whether Michigan might actually be really good or might have a better recruiting class or some such thing.  Then October comes and we all have a good laugh at ourselves. It's the offseason and we are bored and so our minds start to wander to improbable things.  I know that Michigan won't always be bad but the team is still an absolute mess.

The short answer to your question: no.

+8 HS
mr.green's picture

I don't give a damn about them. But didn't they win their Spring Game, too?  

+17 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I'm with the OP on this one. Most of the Michigan fans are not being themselves, like they are hiding something. I really think with the addition of Nuss they will make improvements. He will get the Offensive line dialed in and playing well. In my opinion this years Michigan will go as Gardner/Morris go. If they can get above average QB play and keep the turnover numbers down a little, I think they have a shot at making some noise. Maybe 9-10 wins.

Really outside of tOSU, Sparty and maybe ND, I don't see any games on their schedule I would say they won't or can't win. ND is always a toss up being early in the season and with the expiring rivalry. I don't think they will beat Sparty or tOSU. Minnesota and IU will give them fits. I don't think PSU will be especially strong this season. I predict they struggle with the transition to Franklin in year one.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
Woodshed's picture

They have the same OL coach and lost 2 SR starters. They can't be any worse, so I agree that they should be "better". But until they show that they can develop ANY of their talent, I will be skeptical.

also, their new OC left Bama for the same position at mich. Think about that. Bama doesn't lose a coordinator that they don't want to lose. Especially for a lateral move. Hell, they've kept smart despite teams having interest in him for a potential HC candidate.

+2 HS
saltybuck61's picture

This is very true, but at the same time, Alabama hired Lane Kiffin to replace him. I think time will tell if this is a good hire for Michigan. I believe that anything is better than Al Borges outside of the Ohio State game though, so there could be a slight improvement.

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

The OL coach wasn't making the decision to change the scheme, playbook, and composition of the line every week last year.

-1 HS
KB3RG's picture

well just because...

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Didn't we hear this after the 2012 season?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+11 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I think any honest Buckeye respects UM in the sense that they used to be a powerhouse and still have the potential to be one...but....naw brah, no underestimating going on. Not based on what they've been doing the past...um, a lot of years

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+5 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

This may come off as projecting my scars to some of you, but trust me when I say that their fanbase is in certain depression.  If you happen to peruse mgoblog, you'll see what I mean.

You can sense the defeated tone in some of them, others have become numb and apathetic, and a few try their best to rally the commenting community... It's normal behavior, but if what Angry writes above comes true, it will be the greatest thing for them, the B1G and even our rivalry since Cooper was fired.  The sad part is that if they end up with an 11-1 record, they are stuck with Hoke and Brandon... Oh wait, that's not so sad afterall (*puts drink down)

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
Qujo's picture

41-34 in the last 6 years when they are used to shouting "most wins" will suck the life out of a fan base. I believe Meatchicken eventually comes back and competes with MSU and OSU which will make for great rivalry and drama, but that is a couple of years away. In the meantime SCUM fans can keep bragging about Fielding Yost and Bump Elliott. 

"Tough times don't last, tough people do" - Gregory Peck

+5 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

"Most wins" includes/counts victories over high schools, YMCAs, and social clubs.  Look it up. 

+7 HS
Rob Reese's picture

This^

Nothing quite like beating the ever-lovin' dog snot out of Sears and Roebuck employees 246-3, and literally bragging about it 115 years alter. So bad.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+3 HS

Yea I'd really be interested in seeing the most wins list since most of the major schools were established. I've heard *ichigan counts scrimmages in their win totals. There has to be a more accurate way to determine it.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Yea I'd really be interested in seeing the most wins list since most of the major schools were established.

Ask and you shall receive

The above link can be filtered with any range, year and other variables.

+1 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture

Well what if the Silver Bullets had a better defense last year? Would they have allowed TTUN to score 41 points and get over 500 yards of Offense? Would they have beaten MSU and went on to beat the Seminoles in the Natty? What if's are for the losers, and that is exactly what TTUN is right now, living in a fantasy world where they are still relevant.

Brady Hoke ate my comment

+6 HS

Their best  "win" last year was losing to us by 1 at home.

+16 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Great point, Groveport. I got into a debate recently with a TTUN fan, and this was the argument she was making. Hilarious.

+5 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Moral victories. Horseshoes and hand-grenades. I'll never forget after the Alabama beatdown a few years ago, my conversation with a UM fan that said "Losing to a good team is more impressive than beating a bad team". Didn't know how to respond to that one.

+3 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

I would've responded with "Losing a close, hard fought game against a great team is more impressive than beating a bad team. Getting beaten like a rented mule by a good team, not so much."

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+3 HS
TCOB_6's picture

And that was in my opinion them playing the best game they could possibly play, at home, with nothing else to lose. It's funny, they're holding on to that to justify their season as if they had won the game.

+4 HS
TheTeam16's picture

What michigan fan is pointing to that as a bright spot or something to hold on to? We lost the game, any fan who puts a loss on a pedestal is a complete moron. No one cares if it was close, no one cares if we had the chance to send it to overtime and beat ourselves throwing a pick. We lost, that is all that matters. There is nothing else to take from it, there is no moral victory.

-1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

That is what we call a loss in America, so wrong.

Our best win was ND...sad.

-1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Groveport; I've just become an instant fan with that one, single comment alone.

+1 HS
Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

YES. I think people are taking their hope that Michigan is going to blow next year and trying to project it as fact. They have a lot of talent waiting in the wings just as we do. Not as much as we do, but still a significant amount.  Don't get me wrong, I do hope they absolutely blow ass next year, but I definitely see them as a formidable opponent next year. I'm glad someone finally had the nads to post this.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Here's my problem with this, I actually watched alot of Michigan games and Gallon and Delio (or however you spell it) would get open so often just making it easy to play qb for Gardner, you take away 2 high draft picks from one of the worst offensive lines ever and I don't see how their running game and passing game gets better.  Funchess will just get doubled up and he can't catch passes in the clutch, Michigan's D has some nice pieces but man they're not strong enough to carry them.

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

If peppers is anything like they say he is, this will be the best defense we have had since 2006...maybe 1997...

I am part of the <1% of UM fans that says this kid hasnt played a down of CFB yet so lets just hold the fucking horses.

Did you see him playing defense in that high school all star game? He looked out of his element and way too big for the CB position. Anyone thinking he is going to be a difference maker as a true freshman hasnt been around the game long enough to know better. I dont even think he will be a full time starter when the season opens. Get back to us in 3 years and let us know what a legend Peppers has become.

TheTeam16's picture

You are right, after all you know a lot more about prospect scouting than pro football coaches like Herm Edwards, and Steve Mariucci...

Couldnt be the fact he A) either didnt give two rips about some dumb high school celebrity shootout all star extravaganza on espn 9 or B) they have a whole week to learn the play book and scheme if they are lucky.

You are coming off as jealous, just stop.

-1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

Nobody is really jealous.

We had the absolute poster-child for impact Freshman in our own Joey Bosa.

Vonn Bell, Curtis Grant, and Raekwon McMillan were also all very similar recruits to Peppers with regards to expected immediate defensive impact. Not to mention we lost Mike Mitchell. And then there's this little thing we have called development, that allows the likes of Michael Bennett to be preseason All-American.

*icigan hanging their defensive hopes on an incoming freshman screams about where they are as a team. We have 3 or 4 of those Peppers-type defensive recruits already on our roster. Sooo, 

Nobody is jealous.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

I said, "You are coming off as jealous," not "Stop being jealous," or "You are just jealous." Please dont put words in my mouth.

Secondly, based on the fact peppers was regarded as the best or second best recruit in the nation by nearly every relevant recruiting source, and is the highest ranked recruit ANY B1G team has ever pulled in the modern recruiting era...there is probably a bit more expected of him than bosa or any of the other great recruits you mentioned. 

And sorry, but you dont have anyone on your team that compares to peppers coming out of HS, for the reasons I listed above. Show me the player on your team that won NATIONAL HS DPOY...oh wait. You can argue that til you are blue in the face, but you are still wrong, so save the oxygen. 

Again, not saying he will be all that...he could be a total bust, he hasnt played a down of football in college. 

-1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

- Don't create semantics battles on a website forum (the jealous thing - there's no difference in meaning)
- Peppers is 3rd overall on scout (just the first site I checked)
- You put stock into one individual's ranking, but who cares that the class he's a part of is ranked 27th, right?? (per scout again though)
- I'll take a returning member of the freshman All-American team over any incoming freshman
- FWIW Terrelle Pryor was ranked higher than Peppers by Scout
- Your whole post was a little annoying and you were indeed saying that he "would be all that" 

You can argue until you're red in the face. Here at Ohio State, we're better than you. And we know it.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Illiteracy is a damn shame.

-4 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

Not understanding the implications of your words is also a damn shame. 

It's like saying: "That fire truck is not a single other color than red."

Then someone replying "So the fire truck is red?"

And then you saying, "Is that what I said? No, that's not what I said."

Kindly shut up.

+2 HS
M Man's picture

*icigan hanging their defensive hopes on an incoming freshman screams about where they are as a team. 

W-w-w-w-w-ait just a minute.

I'm not hanging all my hopes on Peppers for a quality defense this year.  I pretty much guarantee that Michigan will have a good defense this year, with most starters returning.  Like we have had most of the time since Greg Mattison has been leading the defense.

I don't know about anybody else, but I expect that Jabrill Peppers will not be starting on defense when this year begins.  Years of being a college football fan have taught me how rare it is for freshmen to contribute meaningfully.  Sure, it happens.  We've had a few guys like Rick Leach, Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson who had some good freshman years.  So have the Buckeyes.  But it's rare.  Maurice Clarett was maybe the greatest freshman in Big Ten football history.  How many others have you had?  Did anybody expect it from Clarett in July of 2002?

Anyway, Michigan is going to have a very good defense this year, for eight or ten reasons that aren't named "Peppers."  Jake Ryan.  Frank Clark.  Blake Countess.  A healthy Ondre Pipkins.  An improved Raymon Taylor.  Terrific competition between RJS and JRIII.  A solid Desmond Morgan.

I expect a very much better year in terms of national overall defensive stats for Michigan, than Ohio State.

+3 HS

That is true M Man. *ichigan will field a very solid defense and doesnt really have any glaring holes. That is the whole reason I do not see Peppers making a serious impact and the sole reason I honestly dont think he starts at the beginning of the season. Seen a interview with Mattison and he basically said they were going to plug Peppers in where ever they needed him. But here it is a month before kickoff and the young man doesnt even have a position to call his own. No doubt down the line he is most likely going to be a game changer,but a ton of people including team16 need to temper their expectations this first year or the dreaded "bust" tag will start getting thrown around. He could just wind up being a really solid player, but I see everyone expecting multiple All American bids and things like that are rare. Curtis Grant our middle LBer was the #3 recruit in the Nation 5* and was a "can't miss" recruit. Read the article on the front page about his legacy here.

GVerrilli92's picture

A very much better year in terms of national overall defensive stats?

I'm gonna save that one.

M Man's picture

Do it.  Save it.  I don't expect OSU to have a bad defense.  You've got some real studs on that side of the ball.  Some game-changers.

But check this out.  And get back to me with what you think.

Michigan is returning more 2013 tacklers, to a defense that was statistically on a par with OSU last year. 

Ahh Saturday's picture

Checked it out, and what I think is that is that it takes an awful lot of cooking the books to get a result that puts OSU at the bottom of the B1G.  As far as the teams that top that list, this is how each did against the Buckeye rushing attack:

MSU: 273/6.8 ypc

Iowa: 273/5.4

PSU: 408/8.0

Wisconsin: 192/4.5 (the only respectable performance)

And for good measure, here is what Michigan did against the Buckeyes: 393/8.5

So, please clarify for me if I'm supposed to be impressed by any of those run defenses, or put any faith in a statistical analysis that says they're any better than OSU.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I expect a very much better year in terms of national overall defensive stats for Michigan, than Ohio State.

As bad as the Buckeye defense was last year, it was still better than Michigan in both total yards per game (362/367) and points per game (21.3/26.5).  Maybe Michigan will be better this year, but then again maybe OSU will be better as well.

M Man's picture

Fair points made by you.

And yet in 2013, Michigan had the edge in pass defense (M-231.3 yards, OSU-268.0 yards) and overall defense (M-371.5, OSU-377.4).

The more that we look at the stats, the more we see that the two defenses were comparable.

Remember, that I didn't crawl out onto any limb claiming, "OSU defense sux!"  My point, in a thread about what to expect from Michigan this year, was that the Michigan defense is (and has been, and will be) on paper every bit as effective as the OSU defense.  And there is good reason to expect a statistical margin in favor of Michigan's defense this year, presuming nothing more than good health for both teams.  We missed Jake Ryan for much of the year, and the defensive line was badly hampered by injury.  It will be a better, older, healthier defense for Michigan this year; to a greater degree than will be the case in Columbus.  

GVerrilli92's picture

Yeah, you make some solid points. And I'm not on the other side of the fence screaming *ichigan's D sucks either. 

I'm just basing my opinion off of the possibility that we have the best D line in the nation. Three potential All-Americans on the same line, and that's not hyperbole. I know it would never actually happen because they're going to get in each others way sharing production. However, the B1G is a power-run conference. Teams have been spreading it around a little more recently, but there aren't any Peyton Mannings in this league. Without a GREAT quarterback, teams are going to struggle against this D because of how one dimensional our line will make the opposing offense. 

+1 HS

If they didnt lose 2 good NFL tackles off of a horrible offensive line,and lose their only 2 WR's that were reliable in Gallon and Deilio,then lose their most experienced RB and lose their #1 TE Jake Butt to injury. Then  if every single offensive player didnt have to learn a new playbook and new terminology. Then since they are a horrible away team under Hoke if they didnt have to travel to South Bend,and to East Lansing, and to Columbus Ohio then and maybe then I might be on the same page as you. But as it looks in reality the best they could possibly do is finish 10-3. That would take a miracle...Its much more likely they finish between 7-6 and 9-4. And that is a serious dose of keeping it real. Most *ichigan fans have tucked their tail for this year knowing Hoke is going to get fired and when they make a huge hire they will crawl out the woodwork telling us how they are taking over.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

They will come out of the gate strong and have a sure bet Heisman leader then BOOM. If the season only lasted until through September, they would be one of the best. I see 4 losses.

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

That is all.

Seriously. His best season as a HC anywhere was his first AA with Rich Rod's kids - he wrenched out 11 wins (slipping by the worst OSU team in decades and receiving a gift wrapped Sugar Bowl win over Va Tech).

Hoke has some talent coming up - Jabril Peppers will evoke memories of Howard or Woodson - but he has to get that talent to produce.

I'll be nervous in November without a doubt. But last I checked, the Buckeyes are shoring up their weaknesses as well...

+6 HS
e135800's picture

What does it matter if we as fans underestimate ttun?  I like to leave that kind of stuff to the coaches, in the meantime I will just watch them suck until they get a real coach and I generally don't care to think about them until it's beat michigan week. 

+5 HS
Poison nuts's picture

This, this, & this!!! Who cares if fans underestimate anyone? I never underestimate that team. I was around for Cooper...but if other fans underestimate them, it has absolutely nothing to do with how OSU prepares,so I'm not worried. As long as Urban Meyer, a man who definitely gets the rivalry, is coach - I'll assume that OSU will be ready to play that game.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I've seen some articles that stated that Hoke may use Jabrill Peppers on both sides of the ball, aka, Charles Woodson. That's how desperate they are. They should keep him on defense, IMHO, if they want to improve.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Didn't scroll down completely...you beat me to it regarding Peppers, BuckeyeDude.

He's the best recruit Hoke has landed, and I think Peppers will contribute immediately.

acBuckeye's picture

Yes. So Curtis Samuel and Dontre can blow right past him for 6.

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Um, that is not desperation...that is called using what the good lord has given you to the greatest extent possible.

Any coach in america would attempt to use him on both sides of the ball, yes even urban meyer. 

We arent talking about being on the field for every offensive snap, maybe a few packages for him here and there. Lining up to run a post route or a vert isnt exactly the most physically or mentally taxing thing in the world...he will be fine.

cajunbuckeye's picture

TTUN's football program isn't going up or down. It's going round and round, like water going down a drain.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+5 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I over-estimated them by picking them to win 8 games

+3 HS

I specifically tried to hammer this point home to a weasel fan last night. The "rare" Hyde fumble kept them in the game. If that rarity doesnt occur we might win by 3 TD's. We were about to run away with it. A turnover of that magnitude can really swing momentum.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I never take UM for granted. I always expect them to be a fight in The Game.
But that's The Game. The rest of the season I'm not so sure. They have enough talent to be concerned when the are pumped to play OSU, but they seem to find a way to suck against anyone else. I don't think they have a good season but I am always concerned on that last game.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Their OL sucked because their coaches suck, it's not as if they didn't have Lewan to build off it and some highly rated recruits. They have players, but they need the coaching and until that happens they will still lose 5-6 games by a combined 10 points.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
buckeye85's picture

They played their absolute best game against us in AA and if Hyde does not fumble late in the game, that 2pt conversion never happens.  tOSU was going in for the kill and that play changed everything.  Their defense was just as bad as ours and while their offense showed flashes, I think they lose Gallon and Dileo as well as some olineman, so I do not see them being better on offense than last year.  I think we will be looking at a team with a Senior QB that can hang with most anyone, but will still manage to lose 3-4 games.

acBuckeye's picture

I think 3-4 games is about right, but I expect them to at least show SOME semblance of a running game this season. Their O-line HAS to be better; it just has to. Can't be any worse.

acBuckeye's picture

I go into The Game every season expecting a close game. I just do b/c that's how The Game usually works out, and also b/c how much it means to each side.

Most people thought we would blow them out last season. Obviously our pass defense sucked, and we had to travel up to that nightmare known as AA -- two factors I figured would keep it close. I knew their O-line was terrible, but they had a great game plan to cover that up, despite the fact we still beat Gardner up pretty good. I didn't think we'd give up 40 points and 1000 yards, but I knew it would be closer than expected.

For this year, I still don't think TSUN will compete for a B1G or division title, but when they travel to Columbus in November, I'm expecting another slobber-knocker.

Qujo's picture

Meatchicken was 3-6 in their last nine games despite being a plus 10 in turnovers in that span. They stayed in games fortunately and that's because their D kept them alive in those close games. 

I do believe they will be better with the new O coordinator and their D will still be better than average so my prediction is 9-3. I predict that because some of those tweener  games will be in AA ( ie UTAH, Gophers and PSU) and I am giving them the edge. The three losses are on the road against the much better teams. 

"Tough times don't last, tough people do" - Gregory Peck

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Always a concern.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
hspbuy1's picture

The Game is what college football is all about, upsets happen,so respect is a must.   We don't have to like 'em though! I always root for an OSU blowout, & if Braxton stays healthy that's what I expect!

hspbuy1

FROMTHE18's picture

I think the fact they don't know who their QB is going to be is something they and their fans need to really be concerned about. I don't trust their OL and I don't think their defense will be top notch at this point, so a bowl team is likely and I could see them competing in the east but on paper right now its hard for me to see them winning the division. 

Ahh Saturday's picture

They'll be better, but not good enough. They'll lose to Sparty, and when they come to the Shoe, they'll lose there too.

Eph97's picture

All I want is to overtake them in the all time series. That's all they cling to with respect to us. They are behind us in Heismans, "modern era" national championships, NFL first round draft picks, and relevance. No one in the South where I live considers them a power. In fact OSU is the only northern school that gets respect down here. Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan are not even in people's minds. Urban and OSU are certainly in their minds.

+2 HS
Jabba1977's picture

I have a gut feeling they will be 8-4,by the end of the year!!We will beat them,and they will lose their bowl game, and Hokey Pokey will lose his job!!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
bbb's picture

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zacisone's picture

I think if the assistants thought Hoke could really help, he would be wearing a headset....and so far he hasn't. So....

Zacisone

+3 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I think if Brady Hoke thought he could really help, he would be wearing aheadset...

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Did you watch the rest of the season where they eeked out wins against Akron, UCONN and others? They were closer to being 3-10 than they were 11-1. They won't be good this year, but they may not be as bad as last year.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Soundtrack for UM's 2014 season - 

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I really hope they waste another year of Shane Morris' eligibility 

Go Bucks!

I would really hope they start wasting more of his eligibility by actually putting him on the field. I mean did you see that Kansas State bowl game?  Several experts have mentioned that *ichigan will stay at their current level because Morris and Speight are not the answer they need at QB. If you  have a below average QB you better be damn solid in every other aspect of the game. Bama can get away with that,*ichigan not so much.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Wasn't it Shane Morris that continually ran his mouth about pounding our team?

+2 HS

Yea he was another of their loud mouth recruits that talked like he was 10ft. tall and bullet proof and then when the shells started firing off he was in the fetal position sucking his thumb. Kid is a real life fairy.

TheTeam16's picture

God you are so cool calling college undergrads "fairy." 

Pretty sure that "fairy" could light your ass up...get a life. 

-4 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Very small sample size, and I did watch the game.  I saw a guy take his first legitimate reps of the year against a defense that had played 12 games.  He stood tall in the pocket and had zip on his ball.  I have no idea if the guy is good at this point, but I'd rather have him ride pine than get reps and improve.

Go Bucks!

cajunbuckeye's picture

I can't wait for Shane to work his "magic" on the field....

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Almost 11-1 you say? Sounds to me like that is Hoke's opening line to recruits

+3 HS
CentralFloridaBuckeye's picture

I think the best they do is 9-3 with losses at ND, at MSU and at OSU.  The running game and o-line has to be better.  If the wheels fall of early then it could be a 7-5 season.  Of course when THE GAME rolls around it's always a battle.  You can always throw the records out during that one.  Last year was a prime example.  Just as long as we get that win I will be happy!

Go Bucks!!

+4 HS
2002osubuck's picture

They should be better and the main reason's the D. They'll have 3 starting LBs from Ohio with Ryan, Bolden and Gedeon and Clark at DE. Hell, all their best payers are from Ohio but they're still not close to our level, especially with Hoke as HC. The guy doesn't wear a headset during games. I'll say they'll be 9-3 losing to OSU, MSU and ND but they could easily lose 5 if they can't run the ball again.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Could be.  I can never imagine TTUN being down permanently - it's always in the back of my mind that there's probably a day coming when they'll legitimately be back to a traditional power (not just one fluke 11 win season).  I don't believe that day is coming this season, but we'll see.  They have played us tough the last two years when on paper, we should've curbstomped them. 

Class of 2010.

irishfury's picture

Ehhh not worried about them next year.  The year after I think Ty Issac and Peppers and few other young players they got they will improve a lot.  Also no way with all the talent they have recruited at Oline can it be that bad.  Really bummed they got Peppers he going to be a super star.  I was really ticked when Campbell and Harris committed that would have made them very very dangerous.  Clark, Peppers, Ty Issac, Harris and Campbell would have been some great players for them.

whiskeyjuice's picture

It's not like TTUN is our first game of the season. Even if we/OSU was underestimating TTUN now, we have the whole season to see what kind of team they are bringing to 2014. So if by chance they play lights out and are undefeated by the time they come to Columbus, the coaches and team will be well aware of what they can do. 

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Seattle Linga's picture

They could have a great recruiting class year after year but as long as Hoke is their leader - they would not win the B1G,

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Right after reading this thread, I turned on the TV to the B1G Network and the UM - Akron game from last year was on. Gotta say, at their best, they were decent last year. But at their worst? Wow, hard to watch.

Go1Bucks's picture

Their seems to be a letter in you forum post that looks familiar, I know it's in the alphabet, but due to the subject matter - I'm unsure how it got past the censors. Due to this limitation alone, I would have to go with NO. And I'll still be laughing at you in November. ;-P

Go Bucks!

southbay's picture

I think they will be improved over last year, particularly on defense.  I just wonder if they will be able to run the football.  Probably not well enough.

+1 HS