Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Troy Smith was and still is a better version of Johnny Manziel

stubbzzz's picture
June 20, 2014 at 7:41pm
38 Comments

hey guys, I saw an article about Troy being named the starter of his Canadian team on Cleveland.com, but I kept getting an error message when I tried to post this comment on there.  So, I figured I would post it here and see what all you guys thought about the comparison.  Personally, Johnny Football gets under my skin more than I ever thought possible for a non TTUN player, and I'm a huge Troy Smith fan, as we all are, so I know we're all biased here, but what do you guys think?  here's my thoughts...

Troy Smith was a more accomplished college QB than Johnny Manziel was.  He won a Heisman too, but He also lead his team to a National Championship game, and beat more highly ranked teams.  Just as exciting,  ran a little faster, scrambled just as well, and threw a great deep ball too.  And he's an infinitely better leader.  I watched every time he set foot on an NFL field and he always played very well.  In fact, a couple games with the 49ers he looked just as exciting and dominant as he did at OSU.  Especially one of the games against the Rams.  He simply did not get a fair chance in the NFL.  He's a gamer.  Remember how Justin Zwick had originally performed better than Troy during practices but turned into a deer in headlights during the games.  But Troy thrived in those game situations.  He just didn't get very many in game opportunities in the NFL.

my point is, Troy was available and more than willing to be the Browns QB this year.  in fact, it's his lifelong dream.   Troy plays the same style as Manziel, but without all the jackassery.   They could've drafted Watkins, and Roby in the first round and got Troy through free agency.  The Browns would be a more complete team than they are today had they gone that route.

stubbzzz's picture

here is a comment that another guy made in Cleveland.com's comment section.  I think it's pretty informative.

". . .  never proved he couldn't play at the highest level. . . " Agreed, and in fact Troy out-performed Flacco in Ravens camp, to the point that Suggs, Ray Lewis and others kicked up a stink when Smith was demoted. "

Seattle Linga's picture

Tough to compare b/c JM only played two years after his red-shirt. JM is very quick and athletic beyond measure. Troy was a much better leader in college and time will tell if Johnny ever grows up. Being from Cleveland I wanted Troy but now that we have Money-Man I will be cheering for him on Sundays. I didn't like his act in college but I hope he learns a lot from watching Hoyer before he is given the keys to the Mercedes.

+1 HS
robobuck's picture

I love my Brownies but are they really a mercedes? I'd say they're more of a late 90s Jeep Cherokee with new tires.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+4 HS
luckynutz's picture

Hey man...that jeep with new tires will come in handy in the winter months up there!

+2 HS
Codeezy's picture

Might as well tell everyone I drive the Cleveland browns around then. 

+1 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

Not going to judge Manziel's NFL potential or Cleveland's draft decisions until I see him play in the league.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Had Troy Smith not gotten... mono, was it?... his whole career arc would be different.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

leezy531's picture

tonsillitis..was supposed to be the starter and then that happened. who knows what could have been..

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

lemierre's syndrome

BassDropper's picture

If not for In-N-Out, Troy would currently be the Mayor of Columbus

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Stupid fast food - well said BD

TheBadOwl's picture

Just as exciting,  ran a little faster, scrambled just as well, and threw a great deep ball too.  And he's an infinitely better leader. 

Sorry, I love Troy Smith as much as the next guy, but this is flat-out wrong. Johnny Manziel is the most exciting player I've ever seen, he's the best scrambling QB I've ever seen, he ran a faster 40 at the combine (4.68 vs 4.72), and leadership is entirely subjective. Johnny showed one of the best displays of leadership I've ever seen when they got down in their bowl game.

Troy Smith was absolutely great, but as far as college QB's go. Hell, he won a Heisman. But Johnny Manziel is way above him.

The bottom line is, if Troy Smith was capable of being a good starting NFL quarterback, he would be on an NFL roster right now, not in the CFL. 

I mean no disrespect to Troy Smith, he was one of the best Buckeyes of all-time, but let's not let the scarlet-colored glasses make us blind, here.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
robobuck's picture

He let his team get down to Duke. Give me Troy any day of the week.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Receiver drops, no defense, Mike Evans completely losing his head and committing dumb fouls, a trick onside kick from Duke, a few false starts and a blocked punt. Come on, man. No way you can put that on Johnny.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

BroJim's picture

You're right, leadership is a tossup, excitement is as well, despite the you're opinion.

Another point, Smith has had an NFL career and Manziel has not. So, it's easy to make the claim that if he was so good he would be on an NFL roster when arguing for Manziel because he has not had an change to be great or awful. However, Manziel has the most potential career wise because of age and draft stock (more opportunity).

Would your opinion change if he was the next Couch?

All i'm saying is the verdict is still about who is better.  .  . The college careers, meh, i'll bitterly agree it's a tossup, but I'm not going to say Manziel was "way better", that's silly. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I won't object, but I am not necessarily in agreement.

+3 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture

Manziel is a much better scrambler. But Troy Smith didn't get a fair chance in my opinion. I think he did good as the 49er's starter

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

hawkins.326's picture

Troy Smith is my favorite Buckeye of all time. Granted, I'm only a 25 year old and it's hard to remember much past 2002, but the NFL was just simply different when Troy graduated college. I have no doubt he would be a top pick in the NFL that exists now, but it's just a different league. He was born about four years too early.

Also, as a Browns fan, I'm PUMPED for some JFF this year.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Nothing but love for Troy (I still wear my #10 jersey), but he is 30 next month. Johnny is 9 years younger. The Browns made the right choice. Troy has had many years to try out and make an NFL team and he hasn't. I love Troy and hope he has all of the success in the world in his professional career, but you can't say Cleveland is in the wrong. 

If this wasn't a Buckeye board, this would never be a discussion.

+2 HS
Iwearmocs's picture

It sucks that he got sick, b/c that was his shot.  I'll always love Troy Smith, but I'm glad the Browns have Manziel (although I think I would have picked Bridgewater)

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Let's revisit this after Manziel actually plays a few downs on Sundays...

For the record, I think JM has the ability. But I don't think he can handle the hits...and the jury is still out on his maturity.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

JM has yet to play in the NFL so there is no basis to compare. Keep in mind 31 other teams passed on giving Smith a chance to try out, so the consensus is that Smith is no longer viewed as a NFL QB. I'll stick with the QB that has not passed his prime

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

faux_maestro's picture

Yeah, there's no way that dude could start in the NFL....

Also, imagine if Duron Carter hadn't been such a knuckle head in Columbus.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

The CFL preseason has already started.  I wonder if you can find the games online?  Rooting for Troy might be a great way to pass the offseason.  He'll be throwing rockets to Duron Carter, Noel Devine, and Ochocinco this year.

O-H-I-Owe-U's picture

With Troy's talent, the only thing that makes sense to me is he was written off by NFL owners because of his run in with Mike Singletary. Seriously, the guy is a better qb than half the guys on NFL rosters. He was 3-2 as a starter on a 49er team that finished 6-10. As a lifelong Browns fan, makes no sense why they didn't give him a shot. 

Hoping he kills in Canada this year and gets one more chance. Warren moon was 28 when he went to the Oilers. Troy could still have a good 5 year run ahead of him. 

Edit: Just caught Troy on tonight's espn top 10 highlight making a play. Baller. 

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

I'm with you man.  You might be on to something with the Singletary thing.  because, I watched every 49er game that year.  (they had all 3 glenville dudes, Troy, Teddy, and Donte)  and that team played 3x better for Troy then they did for Alex Smith.  It was painfully obvious.  Their 2010 home game against the Rams, Troy dominated.  It was vintage, like he was playing the Golden Gophers again or something.  But Harbaugh came in and cut him before practices even started.

Then the Steelers cut him before the Pre season and I remember reading that Coach Tomlin said the reason was because he felt Troy could be a starter in this league, but he would never get the opportunity if he was always sitting behind Big Ben. I admit that sounds like total BS, but whether it's true or not, i did read it somewhere years ago.  So, take that with a big grain of salt.  

So Troy's career has basically been… 

- beats out out Kyle Boller and Joe Flacco with the Ravens, but ends up spending time in the hospital, losing 15 lbs and missing a couple months.  Flacco then gets the nod as a 1st round investment and keeps the job. ( Smith had a winning record with Ravens )

- beats out Alex Smith in San Francisco.  Makes the team come alive.  yells at his coach on the sidelines after an interception.  gets benched.  gets cut by Harbaugh without even getting a chance.  ( Smith had a winning record with an awful 49ers team)

- gets cut by Steelers because the Coach allegedly, said he could win a starting job somewhere else.  ( big grain of salt. )

- joins Canadian team as a back up, takes over starting job  mid-season, leads team to playoffs.  wins starting job outright for 2014.

it's frustrating to see him not being able to catch a break while guys like Alex Smith get a 7 year mulligan for bad QB play, before he started to turn it around.  Or Blaine Gabbert and Gino Smith get an entire year or two as a starter.  It just doesn't seem fair.  

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

-

- beats out out Kyle Boller and Joe Flacco with the Ravens, but ends up spending time in the hospital, losing 15 lbs and missing a couple months.  Flacco then gets the nod as a 1st round investment and keeps the job. ( Smith had a winning record with Ravens )

He didn't beat out Flacco; he was only slated to start the 3rd pre season game of '08, so the Ravens could get a better look at him. He later came down with Lemmierre's disease and may have gotten screwed over because of it. Boller was hurt, I believe a concussion, at the end of '07 and was hurt again in the first pre-season game of '08. 

joins Canadian team as a back up, takes over starting job  mid-season, leads team to playoffs.  wins starting job outright for 2014.

Takes over starting job last 3 games not midseason. QB for team that goes 2-1 during that time amd makes playoffs with an 8-10 record.

I tried to follow Troy as much as possible after he was drafted and remember these events like yesterday, especially when Harbaugh was hired in and started talking about how they wanted to get a serious look at him. Much of the post is skewed and ridiculous. I'd say you are a genuine homer. 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

I am most definitely a homer, and I wear it like a badge of honor.  no shame here.

stubbzzz's picture

ok so maybe there is no stone tablet with Troy's name inscribed on it as the Raven's starter, but if you can remember, before he got sick, all the reports where that he was winning the QB competition between the 3 of them.  They each took a turn starting a preseason game, and troy got sick the week it was his turn.  maybe he didn't beat out Flacco in the end, but he was winning and had he been healthy he would have won.  We both know Boller was not going to win, whether he was hurt or not.  He already had a couple seasons asa starter to prove himself.

TheVictoryBell45's picture

I think Troy will get another shot in the NFL soon, assuming he produces in Montreal. The best Buckeye QB of all time imo. 

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

How many great QB's are sitting in the shadows as 2nd and 3rd stringers in the NFL because mediocre 1st round guys like Jake Locker are taking all the reps with the first team year after year?  I mean, after an entire off season last year, the Brown's coaches thought Brian Hoyer was only the 3rd best QB on the team.  there are only 32 QB spots in the league, so guys have to be getting overlooked left and right.  I feel like Troy is one of those guys.

Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

Troy Smith was just as good if not better than Manziel in a lot if wats. But he was not faster then Manziel.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

In 5 to 7 years, you'll be able to compare their CFL careers. 

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I watched every time he set foot on an NFL field and he always played very well.  In fact, a couple games with the 49ers he looked just as exciting and dominant as he did at OSU.

LOLz. I like Troy and all, but he flat out stunk in the NFL save for probably 2 games.

ran a little faster,

No, Manziel is faster but also about 25 lbs lighter, too.

Troy may or may not have gotten a true chance, but he's just not good enough. Maybe he'll get another shot, but that window is closing quickly, as I believe he is now on the wrong side of 30.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

Had 2 great games out of how many total?  I'm not being argumentative, i'm asking because i don't remember, nor do I know where to look it up.  The fact that he had a couple fantastic games and a few average ones out of a sample size of 6 or 7ish games total, tells me there is some potential to work with.  I don't remember him having any real stinkers except maybe his second game against the rams in 2010.

Alex smith stunk it up as a starter in the NFL for 7 years before it finally clicked for him.  Troy only got a handful of games for his opportunity.  I feel frustrated  for him, thats all.

CPDenn's picture

I'm pretty sure all of us love Troy and what he did here, but some of you need to learn that it's OK to take off your Scarlet glasses and appreciate how good players from other schools are

+3 HS
stubbzzz's picture

…but my scarlet glasses are the coolest… 

I hear you man, and i can't deny Johnny is a good player.  I just think, other than age difference, the two players are so similar in style and skill set that you have to split hairs to say which one is better.  like a tenth of a second in their 40 times.  But a very important difference in my eyes, is that one guy is mature, and the other guy is not.  and that's an understatement.  I'm personally rooting for Brian Hoyer to be the starting QB, but if the Browns wanted a short, mobile, playmaking QB with a rocket arm, who's exciting and has all the intangibles, why not get the less expensive hometown hero, with previous NFL experience.  could have drafted a 1st round receiver had they done that.  and i'm positive Troy would sell just as many Browns jersey's as Johnny will.  … unless Haslam is just really focused on growing the Browns fan base in Texas.  In that case, Johnny wins.