Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Linebacker U

buckeyesean's picture
June 18, 2014 at 9:44am
33 Comments

Not like anyone here really needed ESPN to tell us this, and not surprising to many who follow the Buckeyes or the BIG (unless you're an irrational Penn State fan), but definitely a good thing to remember about our Silver Bullets is the tradition at LB over the past decade (and more to be honest).  Have some tremendous talent lined up for the next few years, and hopefully the recent commit of Connor and potential for Baker/Hilliard can continue the Buckeyes as the official Linebacker U.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/102439/position-u-linebackers

Squirrel Master's picture

uh, we are LongSnapper U buddy! Get it right.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+5 HS
kgratz's picture

Also during the same series of "Position U", ESPN named us DB U. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
kgratz's picture

AND 'KICKER U' LETS GO 

How Firm Thy Friendship

One Bad Buckeye's picture

I want so badly for tOSU to be considered "Linebacker U" again, I believe we were at a couple different points (most recently Hawk, Carpenter, Laurenitis, etc.).  But I do feel like it would be my homerism talking if I were to anoint us as such to my friends of other B1G Universities, just because of the success of Shazier.  Don't get me wrong, I think we could be well on our way very soon if the latest 4-5* prospects start kicking ass.  We need to start pumping more LB's out as successful 1st round draft picks for the rest of the country to look at Ohio State and say "You know what? The Buckeyes are the REAL Linebacker U."

On a side note, after this season I don't think any of us should be shy about calling Ohio State DL-U.  

Hell, I would love it if we could just throw in the DB's and call Ohio State simply "D-U"  Just throw in the whole friggin defense, haha! "If you want to be an NFL defensive player....Come to Ohio State!"

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+2 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

Did you read the link?   This is the only position with one school ranked so far ahead of everyone else.  Yes, we need to continue this trend, but to think for one moment that we have given up bragging rights at LB to any other B1G team is just wrong.  Only two other B1G teams made the top ten on this list (both were way off the mark set by OSU), and one is newcomer Maryland!   And, there is no reason to believe that trend will fall off in the coming years with the way LB recruiting has gone recently. 

+1 HS
thatlillefty's picture

The main headline on espn's college football page: Ohio State is Defense U

http://espn.go.com/college-football/

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I feel shocked!

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Hovenaut's picture

Olive branch (if only momentarily) to the WWL for this one.

Oh, and Penn State...?

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

Eh, there was an objective scoring system developed for this story.  Had it been a subjective poll of their writers, OSU would not have been #1.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Hovenaut's picture

..."there was an objective scoring system developed for this story..."

Only reason why I bothered to read it.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+3 HS
BuckeyeGroove's picture
+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

It is such a joke that Shazier was not consensus All-American this year. I get Mack being pissibly ahead of him, but he was the ONLY LB in the nation who might have been better.

+3 HS
Danify's picture

It's hilarious how Penn State fans are freaking out on the Big Ten Network FB page. Plus, it's funny how Bama fans have to be first in everything.

Seattle Linga's picture

Whether we are perceived as the nations no 1 linebacker machine or not - I think we all know who holds the mantel and in my mind it's not even close.

BierStube's picture

This guy agrees ... and says get that weak a** S#@! out of here!

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I have to say that looks like the Buckeyes vs. the Packers

+5 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

What? Do my eyes deceive me? ESPN spreading something other than hatred and venom against OSU?

BAR43's picture

It would be even more lopsided if Shazier would have won the Butkus, as he should have. They handed it to Mosley who's numbers werent even close to Shazier... still pisses me off.

+1 HS
NatiBuck's picture

Can someone explain to me how Penn State had the nickname Linebacker U? I can't remember any linebackers to come out of Penn State so I'm assuming it was something from before my time that's kinda just stuck around

-1 HS
cplunk's picture

Jack Ham, Shane Conlan, LaVar Arrington, Dan Connor, Paul Posluszny, Michael Mauti, Brandon Short, Andre Collins. 

It's an impressive list, but I've never once thought it was better than OSU's list. We've always been the real linebacker U.

+3 HS
stittracer99's picture

Sean Lee was in there too, but they claimed that nickname long before the 2000's. They certainly have a history, but IMO nowhere near ours at the position.

TheBadOwl's picture

Also Navarro Bowman.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Considering how young he still is too, the guy's on his way to a HOF career.

mh277907's picture

They named OSU LB U, CB U and Kicker U. I would imagine we end up near the top in RB U as well.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

If I'm not mistaken, Penn State has the most active linebackers in the NFL currently, and most Pro Bowl LB's as well. Bowman, Sean Lee, Tamba Hali, Cameron Wake and Paul Posluszny are animals.

These polls are for results on the COLLEGE FOOTBALL field, not in the professionals. That's what Penn State fans don't get. Call yourself "Linebacker U-Pros" or something.

AndyVance's picture

Okay, I went back and read each of the "Position U" articles, and here is the summary:

Offense:

Defense:

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

But, but, but, they're not in the SEC! That ain't right, is it cuz?

jamesrbrown322's picture

Ummm, Justin Hilliard, Jerome Baker, and company - take note of this ESPN story. That's right, the company who devotes 50% of its college football broadcasts to degrade the B1G and Ohio State just acknowledged that the Buckeyes have produced more talent at linebacker and defensive back than any other program this century!