Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Big 10 with 7 ,week#1, 1-AA opponents

johnblairgobucks's picture
June 16, 2014 at 10:15pm
21 Comments

Not that it is a huge problem for Ohio State, overall, but Conference image nation wide sure can't be helped here.  

Eastern Illinois @ Minnesota

Jacksonville State @ Michigan State

Indiana State @ Indiana

James Madison @ Maryland

Appalachian State @ Michigan

Northern Iowa @ Iowa

Youngstown State @ Illinois

Sure Wisconsin vs LSU is a marquee game, that will draw a lot of attention to the Conference, but a slip or 2 against any of the 1-AA teams  coupled by toss up games of Northwestern vs Cal and Rutgers vs Washington State, pitting the Big 10 vs the PAC 12, the Big 10 may well be behind the 8 ball before the season is even 72 hours old, in terms of Conference Champ jockeying for a playoff spot.

VintonCountyBuck's picture

Appalachian state is Moving to the FBS Sunbelt Conference  this season.  They are no longer 1-AA.  

However..I would love a repeat performance against Ttun again this fall.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+7 HS

Didn't know about Appalachian's move up.

Well if you consider Nebraska's week 1 game against Florida Atlantic, maybe we can add 2 extremely piss poor FBS schools together to equal 1 1AA school

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Makes it even more important to just run the table. No undefeated, power 5 team will ever be left out of the playoff. 

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Some would have you believe that certain conferences (or should I say a certain conference) should get more than one team in because their level of competition is greater, undefeated or not.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

You mean the conference that will get a "minimum of 2" which means probably 3 in most years and all 4 in others. Wish that clown was still around to beat every so often.  

Buck-I4Life

jamesrbrown322's picture

Psst...hey, B1G coaches and AD's. If you play your I-AA (FCS) teams in November, NOBODY says a word. Just some helpful information from your friends in the SEC.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+6 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Use them as virtual byes before big time games or rivalries and eSpin will actually tell the World how smart it is to do so.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS

No doubt that the SEC schedules a ton of FCS/1-AA schools, but they are also a conference not battling a media stigma or a  decade long National Championship drought.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Touche.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+5 HS
blocko330's picture

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the title JB.  Though you put it in sarcastic font it's very, very true.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

703Buckeye's picture

The only game of those I would watch (not counting now-FBS App St.) is Northern IA vs. Iowa. UNI is a quality FCS program and it's an in-state game, which always adds to the competitiveness level.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS

Big 10 Network will benefit from the excitement the fans have for college football season beginning, to bring viewers to the set, but they will have some serious filler material needed for the 2nd half of most of these games.

bleedscarlet's picture

hopefully

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Let's go UNI!!! Hope they beat Iowa. (Graduated and still go there).

IMO, knocking out fools every weekend in a Toledo Bar doesn't make a guy ready to be a UFC contender.  Also, if our Conference and region is in a National battle to recruit the top athletes, do you think scheduling to protect your record is a drawing force?  Hell, if you read many of the 11W recruiting interviews, most of the top athletes want to compete against the best..... These recruits have been trending to the Conference that gives them that week in and week out.... Non conference games against James Madison isn't going to move anyone's meter, so why do it?  Step up, be the Big 10.  Can't be afraid to lose.

Furious George 27's picture

The B1G will be eliminating FCS games by 2016, they still have to play out the games on the books that they couldn't swap out for 2014 & 2015.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8942451/barry-alvarez-say...

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I think MSU is the only slam-dunk on there, sadly. The other ones look like they could go either way.

+1 HS
TheHumbleBuckeye's picture

Do you watch football outside of Ohio State? Minnesota is currently a 33.5 point favorite over Eastern Illinois.

IH8UOFM's picture

Misread EIU as NIU. Also forgot Jordan Lynch is gone from NIU. 

TheHumbleBuckeye's picture

Well, EIU was pretty damn good last year also. Every bit as good as NIU. In fact they went up 20-0 quickly when they played NIU, but the Huskies came back and when 43-39. Their QB went in the second round to the Patriots.

But, he was a big reason why they were good. And while EIU is sure to regress this year, Minnesota figures to keep getting better.

As for the other FCS games, I think all but one are locks.

IH8UOFM's picture

Oh that was Garoppolo, wasnt it? Makes sense now.