Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Carmen After All Football Games?

Hilliard WB's picture
June 15, 2014 at 1:23pm
28 Comments

Just wanted to take an informal poll here as we wait through the offseason in hope of gray boxes:

Would you be okay with Urban only doing Carmen with the team after wins?  Last season the team came to the band for Carmen after every win but after the B1G title game and the Orange Bowl the team went straight to the locker room.  Those losses totally sucked yes, but people waiting around were a little thrown off by no Carmen (band played without them).   Is this an important tradition to maintain or are you okay with only happy Carmen Ohio under Coach Meyer? 

Oyster's picture

Would you be okay with Urban only doing Carmen with the team after wins?

I have never heard him sing before so I can't really make a decision either way.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I thought a couple players stuck around to sing it after the losses. I would vote win/lose rain/sleet/snow you sing it after every game.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+8 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I say we win every game, that way we don't have to worry about this

+9 HS
KBonay's picture

I've always equated the singing of Carmen to a victory song...

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

What are Gray Boxes?

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I think Urban uses it as a reward.  You win, you get to sing with the fans.  You lose, the fans sing without you.

Seattle Linga's picture

I remember when JT brought the tradition back and the players thought it was weird and it made them feel uncomfortable. Now - the players look forward to it and it highlights their victory.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

It is important to sing Carmen win or lose. Because win or lose, we're Buckeyes. That is something that is eternal and much bigger than the events of the past few hours. Carmen reminds us of the importance of experiences both good and bad and how our connection to one another will preserve.

Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
Time and change will surely show
How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

The passage of time and the difficulties we overcome will "surely show" the importance of our connections. Thus, it is even more important to sing Carmen after a loss. It puts the loss into perspective.

+18 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

Yes, sing win or lose. 

+6 HS
mr.green's picture

I believe Carmen was written after an 86-0 loss to m*chigan on the train ride from  AA to Columbus in October 1902.

+1 HS
Hilliard WB's picture

Unfortunately that is a tall tale.  It was written for Men's Glee and was then voted the alma mater out of the blue even though the writer thought it was too depressing.  We all still love it though.  

S-Row the Best Row

M Man's picture

I love Carmen Ohio.  It's the best alma mater in all of collegiate athletics.  (A stolen melody from an unattributed Spanish hymn, with a superb set of new lyrics by Fred Cornell.)

I'd be very disappointed if the old story about it being written after the 1902 drubbing in Ann Arbor was untrue.  Fortunately for me, even the OSU historical library thinks that it may be the true story.

So I say, sing Carmen after every game, just as the excellent post above suggests.  Because that's the best way to honor 1902 for me.  And Ohio should not take the 1902 loss too hard.  You had no chance; Michigan had the incomparable Willie Heston.  If they had awarded a Heisman trophy back then, Heston would surely have won three of them.  Notre Dame's Knute Rockne said Heston was the best he ever saw, on any team.

+1 HS

Ahhhh you know all is right in the World when you see a *ichigan fan touting and pumping his chest about a "W" over tOSU that took place over 110 years ago. Thank you for the kind kind words.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS

Man it must feel good to type that I imagine. You do know you guys won the first 13 of 15 with 2 ties in there. I'd say once tOSU was fully established things have been pretty even. Fun to live through both the Carr and  Tressel  eras. Looks like Meyer has picked right up were JT left off and Hoke is walking in RR and Carrs footsteps. Should be a fun second half of decade.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Let's not forget this is a team from AA that counts a win over a high school team as one of their all time victories. 

Impressive - very impressive

+2 HS
M Man's picture

I'm personally impressed by all 58 of our wins over the Ohio State University.

Still, I began my contribution to this thread by saying that Carmen Ohio ( the original subject) was the best alma mater in the nation.

Look; I never come on to Eleven Warriors to initiate any trashtalk with Buckeyes.  I express my sincere respect and admiration for the Scarlet and Gray on a regular basis.  What I do sometimes (pretty rarely), when Buckeyes talk about some sort of inferiority and/or disreputability on the part of my alma mater, is to remind you all of just a few facts.  We're the winningest college football team in history.  We were playing football and winning on a national stage before OSU was known outside of your state.  Our stadium is the biggest; our uniforms may be the most recognizable and admired; our fight song among the most iconic in national history.  And we do all of that at a peerless public research university.  That's not so bad, is it?

None of that implies any inferiority on the part of Ohio State.  The modern history of Ohio State football is second to none.  The game day atmosphere in Columbus is the best in the Big Ten conference and probably the best in the nation.  There is no better band in a big stadium than TBDBITL.  (Michigan's band cut the greatest college marching band record in history, under William D. Revelli.)  Arguably, Ohio has made itself the capitol of the football world.  And in our lifetimes (speaking of Columbus), your city has made more civic progress than any other in the Big Ten region.  Thanks in no small measure to the Buckeye who is the Athlete of the Century, Jack Nicklaus.

So there.

BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

Great question, Hilliard WB.  I have to say the players should sing it after every game.  We should be proud and classy in defeat as well as victory. 

And I guess I never thought of Carmen as a fight song; it's more about school pride and partnership and our eternal identity as Buckeyes.  Right?  That team up north that doesn't win very much might have a problem with their "Hail" song, but Carmen has a different message.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+4 HS
M Man's picture

"The Victors" is a fight song.  (In fact, musicologists would call it a "march."  And yet the March King, John Phillip Sousa, called "The Victors" "the greatest college fight song."  The March King was right.)

"The Yellow and Blue" is Michigan's alma mater. 

"Carmen Ohio" is your alma mater.  And it's the best in the land, IMHO.  I'm deeply jealous. 

You all can fight about your "fight song."  Across the Field?  Or Buckeye Battle Cry?  Unlike "Carmen Ohio," which conjures up for me the tears of Buckeyes after a horrendous loss, "Across the Field" gives me the uncomfortable picture of Ohio bandsmen on each others' shoulders after an OSU touchdown in our House.

Max Power's picture

My thought the team left after the losses because it was a championship game with a trophy presentation afterwards. Perhaps it was a sign if respect to the winning team or the bucks could have been shooed off the field in order to get the presentation started. TV networks can be sticklers on time constraints. I dont remember if Tress still did this after our NCG losses

+2 HS
Otown Buckeye's picture

Singing after every game, win or lose, is non negotiable, IMO.

"because we couldn't go for three"

UrbzRenewal's picture

The purpose of Carmen is for university solidarity between students, faculty, staff, and the athletic department. I think it should be after every sport (and it is for the most part), win or lose.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Win, lose, or draw.  I can remember after the 2007 heartbreaking loss to Illinois singing Carmen Ohio.  We are all Buckeyes no matter what... except for M Man :)

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

AndyVance's picture

How firm thy friendship - we sing the Carmen Ohio, win, lose or draw. That's the way Tressel did things, and that was one of his most important traditions. I was grievously disappointed that the team didn't sing with the fans after the two losses last season.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Reminded me of this: "That's how dad did it; that's how America does it.  And it's worked out pretty well so far."

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

One of my favorite scenes of the movie :)