Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Other than a Buckeye, the Best FBS football player is?

johnblairgobucks's picture
June 11, 2014 at 11:51pm
54 Comments

If you could pick any player from any team to hypothetically become a Buckeye for the 2014 season, who would it be? Would that player's addition make tOSU the odds on favorite to win the National Title? 

My pick would be Alabama running back Mark Henery and yes he would fill Carlos Hyde's shoes nicely and with defensive philosophy changes, tOSU would be the best team on paper going into 2014.  Not that Elliot is a slouch, just unproven over 100 carries and in crunch time.

703Buckeye's picture

Mariota (Oregon, QB), Gurley (Georgia, RB), Gregory (Nebraska, DE), and Peat (Stanford, OT)

This is no knock on any of the Buckeyes at these positions, I just like these guys a lot.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Going by need, Andrus Peat would be great, so would Ty Montgomery or Amari Cooper.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Elliott is just as proven as Henry IMO. I would take Gurley if I was taking a running back. But I'm not. I'll take Jameis Winston. He's the best QB in the nation and it's not even close. I believe our offense would be unstoppable with him distributing the ball to all the potential playmakers we have. 

+5 HS

Not arguing with Winston's on field production, but would you also welcome his off field antics, to Columbus?

AKC pure bred dog, but he sure has fleas.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Ohio is way too far from the ocean.....

Gametime's picture

BTW, Derrick Henry is Alabama's stud at RB. Mark Henry is...

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+17 HS
AndyVance's picture

In that case, sign me up for Mark Henry. He looks like one tough hombre.

EDIT: After readying his bio, he IS one tough hombre. Holy Toledo...

+3 HS
GulfCoastBuck's picture

I'm pretty sure that guy goes by the moniker of "sexual chocolate"!

Buckeyevstheworld's picture
He stole it.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

That boy GOOD!!!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

"Yeah, good and terrible"

Gametime's picture

I wouldn't say it's not close - if Marcus Mariotta doesn't get injured & play hurt, there's a good chance he would've surpassed Winston's numbers last season. The Ducks QB would also be a KILLER in Urban's system, especially being much more of a dual threat & Winston's equal as a passer.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+3 HS

I wouldn't trade Mariotta for Braxton... Mariotta isn't nearly the passer Jameis is and  Mariotta gets flustered in big games. Winston doesn't.

Elliott is just as proven as Henry IMO.

Elliott didn't have 161 total yards and 2 TDs in a bowl game.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS

That was just one game and a broken play. Until he has a full season under his belt, he's not proven. Neither is Zeke. 

-1 HS

This wasn't against an FCS opponent. It was against Oklahoma.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

The 2 way RB/LB for UCLA might help out at 2 positions. His name slips me at the moment.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Miles Jack maybe? Idk if it's right but it could be.

+4 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Yes Sir,Thanks. Watched one of their games last year and the kid absolutely tore it up at LB and RB. He looked like the best player on the field to me.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Amari Cooper; fast, reliable reciever. Not a knock on Devin but he is often inconsistent.

+2 HS

It's not a knock at all. Cooper is a much better player.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

If just to see his mom in scarlet and gray. Rawr

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

JDunc686's picture
+5 HS
KBonay's picture

D- DE Vic Beasley, Clemson
O- QB Brett Hundley, UCLA

+1 HS

Was Beasley the guy flagged for the throat slash gesture in the Orange Bowl?

Braxton2Devin's picture

Ty Montgomery (Stanford) or Rashad Greene (FSU). Both are talented and tall wide receivers.

+2 HS
9Route's picture

S. Diggs (Maryland)

I'm just happy to be here

+3 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

James Quick. 

Gurley is a beast tho.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Definitely Ryan Timmons. 

+10 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Kyle "there will be blood" Kalis

Seriously, though.  Vernon Hargreaves III, and Landon Collins.  Imagine our D with these two roaming the secondary.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

Virginia Tech DB Kyle Fuller.

I feel good about our secondary's future, but shoring it up would be a good thing. Fuller was the real deal as a freshman last year. 

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Kyle Fuller currently is a member of the Chicago Bears.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

In that case we should take Richard Sherman

+6 HS
cplunk's picture

Oops. Well, hopefully that NFL experience will come in handy if we get him on the Bucks

+2 HS

Kendall Fuller was a beast freshman CB for the Hokies last season.

cplunk's picture

AH HA! I knew there was a Fuller. I am senile, but only mostly.

Hovenaut's picture

This year's super sophomore not named Bosa will be Christian Hackenberg.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

I thought he changed his name to Throw A. Pickenberg.

+3 HS

Picksixenberg?

+8 HS
BroJim's picture

This seems like a trick question.

I season my simple food with hunger

IH8UOFM's picture

Either Ameer Abdullah or Kenny Bell

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Gurley.  Hands down. 

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

Vic Beasley LB - Not too worried with the offense. If anything from offense maybe the best OL Cedric Ogbuhei from A&M. But the offense was just fine last year. Add in a leader on defense as Beasley to help the LB. DL is one of the best in the nation and that will help with the DBs

+1 HS

I was ready to say he was the in NFL too  because I heard his name so much, I figured it had to be draft related.

No. I remember it because I heard it over and over and over again in the orange bowl...

-1 HS
Remington2323's picture

I'm going to have to say the "Crab Stealing Heisman."

+1 HS
MAVBuck's picture

Mario Edwards would be another option to Beasley

sivaDavis's picture

PJ Williams, DB. Florida State. 

Andrus Peat, OT. Stanford.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

OSUStu's picture

Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, University of ?? Haha.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

ODEEZ330's picture

Derick Henry will be the best back in country but I'd take winston best qb easy

O'Deez330
stark county football

+1 HS
Derick Henry will be the best back in country 
Gurley says no.

OSU069's picture

I would pick Winston but I can't find it in my heart to replace Braxton. Andrus Peat for the offensive line would be my first choice. Myles Jack for LB would be my second choice. Kendall Fuller for CB would be my third choice. 

+1 HS