Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Saturday, September 6th is the day of reckoning for the B1G

AngryWoody's picture
June 9, 2014 at 12:09pm
28 Comments

The four biggest non-con games for the B1G are without question Wisconsin/LSU, Notre Dame/M*ch*gan, Oregon/MSU, and OSU/VT.  Three of them will take place on September 6th. Not only are three of the four biggest non-con games on the same night, they all kick off within and hour and a half of each other and will, at one point, be airing on all the major CFB networks simultaneously. Oregon/MSU kicks off at 6:30 on Fox, Notre Dame/M*ch*g*n will kick off at 7 on NBC, and OSU/VT kicks off at 8 on ESPN. Those four hours (Along with the Wisky/LSU game) will probably have as much influence on B1G perception as the rest of the non-conference schedule for conference combined.

Is it football season yet?

I'm all gigglin' yo

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Hmmm...a good hour and a half of football before the real men take the field.  I can dig that.

+3 HS
osu407's picture

My DVR will be earning its keep that night.

+4 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

I just cannot watch a game on DVR.  I don't know why, but it's not the same.  I can pause the commercial while I use the bathroom or something, but I can't watch something on delay like that.

That being said, I record every Buckeye game while I watch it live.  You just never know when history can happen and if it does, I want it on my cloud dammit!

+4 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

If it's a game I'm mildly interested in, I'll use Windows Media Center and just watch it from slightly behind so I can skip the commercials and still be multitasking. I can't watch Buckeye games that way, though. Full attention required.

blocko330's picture

I agree YTown - and if for some reason I have to watch it on DVR I need to send out a mass text letting everyone know NOT to let me know what's going on!

osu407's picture

Oddly enough, I'm the complete opposite.  Buckeye games are essentially the only games I can watch not on DVR.  If it's a game I only have a mild interest in, skipping commercials and halftime is the only way I stay fully engaged in the game.  I just stay off the internet if I don't want to know the outcome.

To each their own

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Cookout at Uncle 9ers house!

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Here's hoping for three wins and a meteor.

+5 HS
GoBucks713's picture

You know, I almost posted the same thing. And if Bert was still at Wisky, I would have hoped for two meteors.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I'll be somewhere...

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I see the BigTen going 1-3(Ohio State being the only win). Maybe 2-2 since ND has a habit of choking against UM.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

TheTeam16's picture

I honestly think we will beat ND about the same way we did last year, minus DG's stupid ass interception to a DL(?!?!?!?!) in the 4th, ugh.

They get golson back, but I just dont think it is enough. He put up 13 points and they beat us by a TD with Denard throwing 5 int and fumbling the ball. That is bad. 

Their D is going to be taking a huge step back, which is the only thing that kept the game last year from being a total blowout. 

I know it is on the road and hoke is TERRIBLE on the road...but it is a mediocre at best ND team that will not be able to exploit our biggest weakness even half as well as they did last year. 

I say UM 34 ND 17

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Since you mentioned it...

+5 HS
TheTeam16's picture

I will never understand...WHO ARE YOU EVEN THROWING THE BALL TOO!!?? THAT IS BUSCH LEAGUE!!!

UV for the sad hilarity...

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Can you imagine if that had won the game for ND? lol

They get golson back, but I just dont think it is enough. He put up 13 points and they beat us by a TD with Denard throwing 5 int and fumbling the ball. That is bad. 

That was two seasons ago. I think this could be the first season Kelly runs the offense he had at Cincy.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Doesn't have the weapons. Plus his offensive philosophy at cincy was risky, he cant afford that this year with the defense they will field.

And yes it was two years ago, but Golston hasn't played competitively since then. Working with a qb coach and throwing with high school teammates on goes so far, when the lights turn on its a completely different scenario.

-1 HS
allinosu's picture

It's like I said before, if MSU gets bombed it will make our life difficult trying get respect. MSU has recently gotten stronger and stronger as the year progresses so by the time we arrive they are more dangerous.

sox33osu's picture

I've gotta say I like MSU's chances. They're exactly the kind of team that Oregon traditionally struggles against, and despite losing Dennard and Bullough, their defense is still insanely loaded. I also think this will go a long way towards helping/hurting Connor Cook's draft status going up against Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.  MSU 27 Oregon 20

Wisconsin's game will completely depend on the QB play. LSU is likely (it would seem) to be starting a true frosh in Stephen Collier's BFF, Brandon Harris. Meanwhile, it sounds like there is a competition with Stave and McElvoy in Madison. I see LSU taking this simply because Wisconsin is replacing so much on defense. LSU 33 Wisconsin 24

F*** notre dame and michigan. I hope they both find a way to lose. 

I am not trying to jinx us, but if we win the VT game by less than 3 TD I will be a little disappointed. Frankly, we are a much more talented team on both sides of the ball. OSU 41 VT 16

TheTeam16's picture

VT should actually field a pretty darn good defense this year...but then again it is VT...soooooooooooo p probz not...

Even if they do osu will still win by two td

Groveport Heisman's picture

If *ichigan plays on the road at ND I see no possible way they win in a blowout. They are horrible on the road under Hoke and their offense and oline are going to need time to get up to speed. Also Oregon returns all 5 offensive linemen and their Heisman hopeful QB. Going to be another really tough road game for the B1G. I can see us pulling the other 2 out but its very possible the B1G goes 1-3.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

TheTeam16's picture

Who ever said they would win in a blowout?

-1 HS

Whoever it was that was crazy enough to predict a 34-17 road victory. *ichigan couldnt even beat Uconn that handily on the road.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

TheTeam16's picture

17 points is a blowout? 

Difference of opinion I suppose here.

Also, UCONN was in 2013...this is a new season, things change...For example: most ohio state fans are hoping OSU wont field a defensive backfield that looks like they should be playing at Otterbein, like they did last year. 

Retroactively picking specific data points from past ventures does not exactly propagate validated speculation when it comes to the present, unless of course you are working in an environment containing factors, rules, reactions, etc...all of which are at your control...and since I am pretty sure you are not a higher power (Take your pick)...this is exactly impossible. 

-2 HS

Only thing us gamblers have to go on is past trends. Hokes 7-11 record away from the Out House over the course of his time at *ichigan is a serious trend that bettors are picking up  on. Even a few of those games he actually has won he has struggled mightily with teams he probably should have buried. Yes I would consider *ichigan beating ND in South Bend by 3 full scores a blowout considering Hokes road woes. Hell LSU  beat us in a National Championship game by 2 TD's and I still hear how bad we were blown out from weasels. The game being that early in the season works in ND's favor in every single way. Just one question for you...Since Hoke has taken over *ichigan has he won a single game in East Lansing,South Bend,or Columbus? You guys are trending hard. And even with our Historically bad secondary it was just good enough for one play to save us with a Victory in your house. Imagine that.

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

-Play short term trends in real life and see where it gets you...probably in grovetucky....

-Correlation would have it those were the years we had no offensive line depth due to the face ONE OL RECRUIT remained from RR's last two class...ONE...it is actually a miracle we won as much as we did if you look at past metrics with teams experiencing that kind of attrition/lack of depth...

-Or the fact our offensive coordinator was a complete dumbass and our QB had just played the entire game on a broken foot so he couldn't run right into the end zone on the left side that was completely open...but sure, I will amuse you.

-3 HS

Oh, once you start blaming R.R. for Hokes horrible away record I assume there is not much of a argument left. I'll bow out on that tip.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Let's just hope it's better than the inevitable New Years Day that I muster up hope for every year.