Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

How many bowl teams will OSU face this season?

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
June 8, 2014 at 1:14pm
18 Comments
  • Navy
  • Virginia Tech
  • Kent State
  • Cincinnati
  • Maryland
  • Rutgers
  • Penn State
  • Illinois
  • Michigan State
  • Minnesota
  • Indiana
  • TTUN

I'll say 8, (technically 9).

Navy, Va. Tech, Cincy, Maryland, * Penn State (even though they're not eligible, they're going to win 7 games and are a would-be bowl team ), MSU, Minnesota, Indiana, TTUN

With 75% of your schedule bowl teams, that's a pretty tough schedule.

MacG91's picture

You can't count Penn State even though they would more than likely be eligible but I say 7 and maybe 8 depending on how Kent State does this year. 

Navy, VT, Kent-Maybe, UC, Maryland, MSU, Indy and that constantly underachieving team. 

Mac..yeah

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

and that constantly underachieving team. 

Notre Dame isn't on the schedule.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Mortc15's picture

I agree with your list except swap Minny for Indy. Minny does have a fairly tough schedule in conference but they should win at least 3, if not all 4, OOC games, and also play Illinois and Purdue. That's prob 5 or 6 wins already. Another win or 2 I think they'll get somewhere. 

Buck-I4Life

I think Illinois has a better chance of getting to 6 wins than Indiana does.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS

That could very well happen. I was on the fence about the Hoosiers, but think they win 6 games and go to a low-tier bowl this season. Offensively IU is going to be very good. They're defense is really bad, but will be a tad improved from last season (probably couldn't be worse.)

I think they pull it off though.

-2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

With 76 teams going to bowls in 2014-2015 are we sure this is that impressive of a thing? That's almost half of all Div I teams going.

I mean it's better than playing teams who won't make a bowl but...

"When everyone is special, no one is."

Knarcisi's picture

Would be willing to bet against IU and Maryland. 

Have you looked at Maryland's schedule? If they're not 5-0 heading into the Ohio State game, i'll be a little surprised.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I could see them losing to both WVU and Syracuse. 4-1 anyway, coming into our game. 1-6 to finish the season. 

otrain2416's picture

Maryland and Rutgers each have really tough schedules especially in conference. They also play each other. There is a chance neither made a bowl game. 

Maryland: OSU, PSU, TSUN, Sparty, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They also play West Va OOC.

Rutgers: OSU, PSU, TSUN, Sparty, Wisonsin, Nebraska. They play at Washington St too. 

I'm not saying the WV game is a automatic win, but I don't think it's a toss up either.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

I can definitely see 7 loses during the regular season for Michigan if their offensive line problems don't get fixed, plus Funchess is their only weapon on offense, terrible.

The games they will definitely lose imo are, @ Notre Dame, vs. Utah (remember they beat Stanford last year), @ Northwestern (if they're healthy), @ MSU, and @ Ohio State.

Wildcard games to look out for are, vs. Miami (OH) (they might not like that "Beat Ohio" sign Michigan has in their locker room, plus they always struggle against Ohio teams), vs. Penn State, and vs. Indiana (was a shootout last year).

sox33osu's picture

Navy - Definitely. They have a crazy easy schedule and are pretty solid.
VT - Likewise. They somehow avoid both Clemson and Florida State.
Kent State - No. I hate saying it because I've become a fan since I moved to NE Ohio, but this team is just not good.
Cincy - Yes. They could easily win 9-10 games.
Maryland - I'm gonna say yes, at 6-6. All of their OOC games are winnable and I like them over Rutgers and Indiana.
Rutgers - No. Gonna be a long season for them.
Penn State - They'll be bowl eligible for sure, but obviously won't go.
Illinois - No. I don't think Beckman is gonna be around long. They drop 7 at least this year.
MSU - Yes
Minnesota - Yes, but just barely
Indiana - They fall just short at 5-7, though they are right there. I could see one of those losses going the other way.
scUM - They'll go to another "shitbag.com" bowl game.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Our strength of schedule is definitely better this year, but there are just way too many meaningless bowl games with mediocre teams.

sox33osu's picture

Agree with you on both counts. It's nice seeing us go back to having multiple quality teams on the schedule, and it looks like a trend that should continue. Can't wait for the Oklahoma h/h in a couple of years!

Agreed, that Ohio State / Oklahoma series is going to be great.

-4 HS
Citrus's picture

I know there are complaints about "meaningless bowl games" and sure, maybe they are meaningless in determining the national champion but those games can be fun to watch. Plus, not every school has a tradition like Ohio State. I did undergrad at FIU, in 2011 we won the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl. It was a tremendous game in which down 24-7 with 9:44 left to go in the 3rd, FIU surged back to win. TY Hilton returned a punt for a 89 yards for a TD and completed a hook an later play on 4th and 15 in the 4th Q. FIU won 34-32 on a FG as time expired. I can tell you that it wasn't meaningless to the school and was probably the most exciting bowl game played that year.

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

I'm counting Penn State, so I'll say 7. All signs point to the bowl ban being lifted in a few months—that or they get the scholarships back in full.

I don't think Maryland or Minnesota are shoe-ins.