Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

James Quick busted for reefer

sox33osu's picture
June 8, 2014 at 11:07am
186 Comments
unknownmusketeer's picture

Marijuana has been a constant problem for Bobby Petrino coached teams. It was one of the reasons that Steve Kragthorpe was not successful at U of L. He walked into a locker room filled with talent that wanted to smoke marijuana all the time.

I would speculate marijuana is also a major problem at Arkansas, but I have no specific knowledge about that school.

+2 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Legalize it already.......

BroJim's picture

How about "decriminalize it"

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

It's 2014 and we're still talking about weed? Yawn. 

+16 HS
sox33osu's picture

I think it's more troubling that two supposed rivals are sitting around getting blazed together.

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

They went to high school together @Trinity and are longtime friends.

+11 HS
sox33osu's picture

That makes much more sense now.

+2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Jax -- if you think weed is just some kind of minor nuisance, you need get educated with the fact that it is one of THE most toxic things you could ever put in your body. Do yourself a favor and listen to Dr. Michael Savage on the radio. He's sharp.

In addition, weed makes people too passive and lazy. Hardly 2 characteristics you'd want a big-time football talent to have.

-10 HS
sox33osu's picture

Weed is not even one of THE most toxic drugs you can put in your body, let alone most toxic things in general. Weed is significantly less harmful short- and long-term than things like cocaine, heroine, and even alcohol. I'd rather smoke a joint than eat a burger from McD's or drink a Coca Cola.

+12 HS

Cheeseburgers and greasy fries are not good for you, but they aren't gateway addictions.

Drugs kill dreams, brother.

-5 HS
sox33osu's picture

Weed isn't addictive, brother. The "gateway" label has much, much more to do with the social circle you choose to run in than the actual drug itself. Alcohol is just as much a "gateway" drug to cocaine among the young professional crowd. Also, cheeseburgers and greasy fries can just as easily, if not more easily, lead to poor food choices. 

-1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I use to smoke weed, I use to smoke tobacco, I use to drink alcohol, today I am so glad I have quit these things, I really wished I had listened to my father and never tried these things.

+15 HS
sox33osu's picture

I smoked weed in college along with smoking and drinking, a la millions of other college kids. My junior year of college I smoked weed probably 4 days a week. Never, ever once did I become addicted or feel anything remotely close to dependency. Anyone who says they are addicted to weed is misinformed. Not only is it not an addictive drug, but it's physically impossible to OD on it.

-1 HS
Crimson's picture

Anyone who says they are addicted to weed is misinformed.

Some people are prone to addiction; others are not.  I haven't seen anything about weed not causing addition, but that seems false.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

I'm not debating that aspect. I'm saying marijuana is not physically addictive. There are a rare few who have developed some characteristics of "dependence", but that is only with extremely chronic use, and most of it has to do with mental disorder and not a true physical dependence. In comparison to things like alcohol and tobacco, it's not even in the same ballpark.

+2 HS
Jake321's picture

We discussed this in one of my classes at osu. While not as addictive as cocaine and meth, marijuana is addictive. It's addiction rate is around 10% while drugs such as cocaine and meth are around 33 to 35%. Honestly though smoking weed isn't even that big of a deal to me, but these guys are putting their futures on the line just to smoke a pot is very dumb in my opinion. Why risk your college education and chance to go pro (if you have that) to smoke weed?

+7 HS
robobuck's picture

You do know its called "chronic", right? I kid. I'm a proud non smoker. Football is my anti-drug.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

I still smokec ciggies.  I smoked weed from 15-19 years old.  Havn't smoked weed in decade.  I drank for 14 years.  Been sober for two years with a glass a wine on birthdays.  I feel 100 times better not drinking.

+7 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Johnny, I don't know what your post is more, laughable or ignorant. You can't be serious with that post. It's like you took your response from a 1960s government report. The only thing you need to add is that it will rile up the negroes. 

Tey educating yourself with FACTS before you blather. If you don't like it, fine. Just say that. But to claim it's a gateway and makes you lazy is laughable. As a professional, I know many, many successful people that light up after a long day at work. For the record, I don't smoke. But I'm not stupid. It is FAR less destructive than alcohol and a great way for people to releive stress. 

+2 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Don't even get started on all the medical purposes it is used for and future uses.

lsjSnail's picture

You are the uneducated one on the subject, and it makes me cringe reading your comments whenever the subject comes up. One of the worst members here.

-7 HS

Let's see some tears, Snail

Wah wah wah

-8 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Toxic part isn't really true.  Passive and lazy, however, you do have a point.  That's probably the biggest danger of it. 

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
DefendYoungstown's picture

Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage man, take advantage.

What we can't do in the air we'll do on the ground.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

At first I thought the title said James Clark.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+15 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Came in to say this. Heart skipped a beat.

+5 HS
HattanBuck85's picture

That was quick.

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
sharks's picture

Lucky to avoid an intent to distribute with the scale and grinder.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
crusher's picture

Not a big deal. Every team has guys that smoke weed including OSU. Always have and always will.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+5 HS
hetuck's picture

Difference is OSU tests for it more frequently than other schools and treats it as an alcohol/drug violation that can be punitive. See Mike Adams. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+3 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

As a student at Ohio State who goes out, I can confirm that there are indeed members of the football team that do weed and other drugs. Rarely do they get caught, but it happens. It's college.

+4 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

That's like living in a city that is the murder capital of the world and thinking murder is ok.  Whether the law makes sense or not, you're either abiding by it or you're breaking it.  I definitely don't point a finger when it comes to this law, but at least admit its breaking the law, regardless of how common it is. 

Read my entire screen name....

UrbzRenewal's picture

I'm not saying it's right/wrong/legal/illegal, I'm saying it happens regardless. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

+2 HS

We're cool. I cringed when it seemed like you were implying that because everyone was doing it (in college), it was not illegal, i.e. it's ok to do it as long as you're in college. I guess your point didn't initially come across to me. 

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

Being against the law is part of the fun... ;)

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Roger's picture

It's really not like that at all. Malum in se vs malum prohibitum. The distinction is crucial. 

+1 HS

The distinction is not crucial for my point. Point being that predominance of something forbidden by law within either a group of people or within a given locale does not make it any less illegal.  Of course my point doesn't consider gray areas involving various impacts, where you would be correct and this distinction would be important

1967Buck's picture

Urbz, you are a student at OSU that is on a Buckeye site, telling the world that you can confirm that members of the football team smokes weed and other drugs. Really?

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Wow, his career has been disappointing ever since he chose Louisville over the Buckeyes. Strong left, Teddy left, Quick struggles with drops freshman year, and now this. Louisville is on the fall, and they won't be getting as much exposure now. I'm sure when Quick was a highly rated recruit he thought he'd have an easy path to the NFL wherever. However, that star rankinf no longer matters. I don't like saying this, but I think Ohio State would have been a much better choice. But I'm more than excited that we got James Clark over Quick. I think Clark will have the better career, and he has excellent character.

+2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

OMG. WEED?!!!!!!1111

Knarcisi's picture

Quick weed. Must have been a one hitter. 

+6 HS
sox33osu's picture

It will probably result in him missing a couple of games. I'll be glad soon when this won't even be an issue.

-2 HS
Woodshed's picture

So because it will be legalized, it wont be an issue for a D1 NCAA athlete to smoke it? I seriously beg to differ.

+5 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Whatever your personal opinions are on weed, it's still against the rules. Until that rule is changed, it's no different than performance enhancing drugs. Whether it happens everywhere or not, you're still stupid for getting caught. 

+9 HS
sox33osu's picture

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the punishment for steroids much worse than for recreational drugs? I thought a positive steroid pop was a 1-year suspension? Spence only has a 3 game suspension for ecstasy. 

+1 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

Spence was suspended a full season, but petitioned to have the suspension reduced on the basis that someone else slipped the Ecstasy into his drink.

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Holy snot. Thanks for that update. I never heard about that part. 

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Spence was originally suspended for a year. It was reduced to three games on appeal.

+2 HS
+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Kentucky Bluegrass. 

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Littering And.........Smoking the reefer

+6 HS
e135800's picture

I'm freaking out man

His marijuana drug infatuation could likely be the reason he has been a disappointing bust in college thus far. Five star recruit who has regressed. Nothing, I repeat, nothing good can result from a drug habit.

But let's keep acting like weed is no big deal.

-7 HS
sox33osu's picture

Link to Quick having a "marijuana drug infatuation"? 

+3 HS

If you're willing to risk your full athletic scholarship & promising athletic career at a D1 school ---  aaaand (especially if) you're a big-time blue chipper --- for a lousy poisonous drug......then you likely have an infatuation with said drug.

Common sense. No link necessary.

-5 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Poisonous? LOLOLOLOLOL

I don't smoke weed and I hate it. It's smells and it's disgusting, but that is ridiculous.

+5 HS

Route4, nothing personal fellow Buckeye brother & don't take this the wrong way...but if you scoff at it like it's no big deal and laugh at the fact it's poisonous --- then you're simply uneducated about marijuana.

Like I stated above, find online where you can listen to medical expert (& doctor) Michael Savage. You'll see the light. 

Good day, friend.

-10 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

If you call marijuana poisonous, you're simply listening to one side of the argument. The factually supported side says that it's less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Different effects sure, but not nearly as harmful to the body. There's a reason several states have legalized it, and eventually Ohio will too.

Side note: Before you advocate listening to Michael Savage, you should probably know that he wrote a book in the 80s about the medical benefits of marijuana. Funny, huh? Since then, his entire rhetoric has been politically (NOT medically) based. His Wikipedia article also explains that his views are seen as extreme. However, we don't discuss politics on 11W. He probably isn't a great source for what you're saying.

Honestly I wouldn't want to put any sort of mind altering substance into my body, but to each their own.

+7 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He's known more for being a political talking head, and he's not a practicing doctor. Also, while perusing his Wikipedia page, I found this gem:

Since 2009, Savage has been barred from entering the United Kingdom, for allegedly "seeking to provoke others to serious criminal acts and fostering hatred"

His Wikipedia page is pretty much just a laundry list of all the stupid things he's said. Like this:

"Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, "Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot."

I don't know any doctors who would ever say that a disease as serious as autism is really just a kid being a brat.

I'd trust Dr Leo Spaceman from 30 Rock more than Savage.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+6 HS

Glad you took the time to crawl out of Chris Matthews' ass to join the discussion, TBD!

:)

That England ban on the Dr. Savage is ridiculous. That country has lost their common sense.

Amusing yet predictable you would point it out in support if your argument though. {Yawn}

-10 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Can you not make this political, please?

+6 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Howso? By saying that the source for your medical argument is invalid? This isn't a political discussion, politics aren't allowed on 11W. If you'd like to post some medical doctors or studies backing up your claims, I'll gladly consider them.

+3 HS

People's medical evaluations evolve over time. Can someone's medical opinions not change 35 years later?

By the way, that Wiki info. is taken out of context, if you actually read that book --- it wasn't necessary a support of marijuana.

-10 HS
sox33osu's picture

This doesn't need to be political. It's a fact that the number of deaths directly caused by marijuana use are exponentially less than the number of deaths related to things like poor diet, eating disorders, alcohol, and other hard drugs. Pot isn't harmless, but it's effects on the body are miniscule in comparison to these other things.

+1 HS

Sox, so people who OD & DIE from coke, heroin, etc. --- you think they just started snorting or shooting up that junk one day?

Nope, no way. Guarantee 95% of these people started with weed. That is what you call a gateway drug.

It's not the only gateway drug, though. Prescription pill abuse is also a dangerous gateway addiction.

-10 HS

Urbz (& all of the other Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert generation of people who think weed isn't a big deal, including our president, scary I know.) answer me THIS:

If it's not a big deal, and not a gateway drug....

If you had an adolescent son or daughter...would YOU let them smoke weed? Would you be ok with that?

-6 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If you had an adolescent son or daughter...would YOU let them smoke weed? Would you be ok with that?

Honestly, I'd still be in shock from the news that I apparently have an adolescent son or daughter out there somewhere.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

If it was legal in my state (with regulated cultivation), they were of proper age (likely 18), and I thought they were responsible, sure. Just like alcohol or tobacco, I'd trust them to understand the law and moderation.

+2 HS
Woodshed's picture

Meh, someone who smokes weed not out of medical necessity is either 16 or not very responsible IMO.

-2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Alright, now you're really showing your ignorance. I haven't ever watched an entire episode of either Stewart or Colbert's shows, and I feel very strongly the way I do. Why? Because I'm using logic and facts to form my opinion. Are you not able to understand that?

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

There is a chance that they may have used pot at one point, but it was just a step along the way. Fact is, the majority of people who smoke pot have no desire or experience with harder drugs. Tobacco and alcohol have just as much of a correlation to things like cocaine, and by themselves they are significantly more harmful than weed. I smoked pot off and on for probably 6 years between the end of high school and college. I never once tried anything harder and never had the desire to, nor did any of my other friends I smoked with. My friend, you are wildly misinformed.

+1 HS

Sox, I'm not saying that pot is 100% guaranteed to be a gateway drug for each and every person who uses it, I'm saying if you turn it around and look at the hardcore drug deaths, looking back in reverse --- the overwhelmingly majority started smoking pot as an innocent recreational drug. We don't know who among us has the addictive body chemistry to chemicals at that young age. THAT is why it's absolutely NOT worth the risk/reward. What one risks losing from experimenting with weed is far more than anything you'd "gain" from trying weed (which I still don't know what you would gain from doing rec. drugs).

Very dangerous slippery slope.

It's foolish when people say, "Well, look at me, I did weed when I was younger, and I didn't OD from hard drugs..."

Is that really such a safe statement, that you'd recommend it to others. C'mon man.

-10 HS
sox33osu's picture

Your logic is extremely flawed. The majority of people who smoke pot don't do harder drugs. Some of them do, but that doesn't make it a direct correlation. There are FAR more relevant characteristics, like who they choose to hang out with, what their personality is like, what experiences they have had in their lives, etc. Do you truly believe those who do hardcore drugs and die have never smoked a cigarette or drank alcohol? You're basing your argument on outdated fear-based propaganda that has been proven to hold little merit. 

+1 HS
theopulas's picture

I would bet that 99% of over weight people have had a soda, or a peppermint....or spearmint gum....I am a doctor and weed isn't good for your body... but so much we do isn't good....but it is not as bad as alot of things we use legally every day.....its not the demon the will destroy all youth....

Theopulas

+6 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

It is only the illusion of a gateway drug... weed is accessible, cheap, easily used and widely accepted. Everything a teenager is looking for when they want to party. Cocaine is expensive and most kids aren't too keen on having a needle in their arm.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
ArizonaBuckeye's picture

You do realize kids today are taking a drink before they ever smoke pot. If you want to label something a "Gateway Drug", it's alcohol buddy, plain and simple. You don't need the 'New England Journal of Medicine' to know that. It's just common sense.

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." -Woody Hayes-

+2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Hahahahah shit you're killing me man... What a ridiculous and idiotic argument. "Gateway drug"

+2 HS

Route4, you sound foolish.

Would you let your own kids smoke weed?

I've seen it firsthand. I live in a nice, average, middle class town.

I've known 6 people from my high school who OD'd on heroin later in life. All before the age of 33. They all had one common denominator: they smoked weed in middle and high school. Recreationally. Prescription pills, too. Also a gateway drug.

I also have a cousin who is an addict. Used to be a great athlete, smart kid, etc..

Drugs kill dreams. I don't care if I'm laughed at, or made fun of by the snarky/cynical/hip "Progressives" of today. I know I'm right. I'm trying to save lives. It's common sense.

-10 HS
sox33osu's picture

So because you saw 6 people die you think that represents the entire population? I've known literally dozens of people who smoked pot in either high school or college, and not a single one of them is dead or using any other drugs, and to my knowledge they are all gainfully employed. To be honest, most of them don't even ever smoke pot anymore. This is much more representative of the population of people who have smoked pot or do currently smoke pot.

+2 HS

Go tell your kids to smoke pot.

Great idea!

And, no, because I've known 6 people who OD'd --- I'm not generalizing --- I'm just stating it's pretty darn obvious it's nothing to mess with, because of the repercussions.

-5 HS
route4buckeye's picture

I can name of tons of those who do smoke weed that are successful human beings. And to be honest with you? Yeah, if I had a kid and he smoked weed. I'd be okay with it. I'd tell him not to use it in my house and don't be fucking dumb about it.

Marijuana has never killed anyone. Gateway drug is laughable. You're better than that.

+1 HS

You have to be wiser than this.

The "I've known many successful weed smokers..."  statement is silly and out of context.

And another person saying they'd let their kids smoke weed?! Geeze, just do society a favor: don't have kids.

There should be a law that says people should have to pass a simple, basic common sense test to have kids and to vote.

-10 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Just because you don't agree with my opinion, does not mean I'm not wise. I'm wise beyond my years, actually. I'm not gonna let my kids run all over town dealing and doing meth (cause weed is a gateway drug). If they want to smoke some reefer with their friends and not be stupid about it, it's whatever. I'm not condoning it. If it happens, it happens. It'll be at least decriminalized by the time I have kids anyways.

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Until there's medical studies that outline how terrible marijuana is for the human body, it'll continue to be legalized. Until then, your side is not backed up by facts and is just opinion. I respect your passion, but there's simply very little actual substance (not rhetoric) behind it.

I'm 21 now. By the time I'm 31 and out in the workforce, it's very likely that marijuana will be completely decriminalized. 

On a side note, do you drink? It's worse for you than weed. Scientifically. Medically. Yet I don't see you complaining about that? 

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Johnny, so by your rationale, had all six people watched Seinfeld then that show would conclusively be a gateway show?  See how ridiculous and unsupported your argument is?

+4 HS

Jax -- does watching a Seinfeld episode fill your body up with carcinogens?

Now who's being ridiculous? That was a clown comment by you, bro.

Winning an argument with you is like taking candy from a baby.

-9 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

HAVING an argument with you is like speaking to a wall. 

I'm trying really hard to follow your logic. Help me out here. Your first argument was that pot is a gateway drug. You supported this claim by the fact that six of your friends who did heavy drugs started out on pot. When I challenged that, you then support your stance with: pot contains carcinogens?  Therefore you are now making the claim the pot carcinogens are a gateway?

Coo-coo!

+5 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Correlation =/= causation. did you even go to school?

+2 HS

Wrong again, snail. Slooow, aren't you now.

-10 HS
krodawg's picture

If it is indeed a gateway drug, which is debatable, it's due more to association than slippery slope -- You want a bag? Cool, you can grab some coke too while your at Donny Dealer's house.

Put mary jane behind the cashier at 7-eleven and it's no longer a "gateway" drug, if it ever was to begin with. All the war on drugs did was make it easier to score 2 birds with the same stone. Hey, at least we saved on gas!!

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He literally said that autistic kids just act that way because they're bratty and their parents didn't tell them to "man up" enough. It's both a deplorable thing to say from a moral perspective and it's hilariously wrong from a medical perspective. Any actual doctor would know that.

And yet you act like this man is some infallible visionary in the medical profession, even though he probably hasn't actually practiced medicine in decades.

The other hilarious thing about this is that Savage's degree is a PhD, not an MD, so he has never been a practicing doctor. Not only that, but he got his PhD back in the 70's. Our understanding of these things has changed massively since then.

But if we're going to cherry-pick our sources, how about actual doctor Sanjay Gupta? He was once a critic of medical marijuana, but he changed his mind after weeks of research and interviews. 

+3 HS

Gupta, the CNN hack. Haa, ok.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Unlike Savage, that "CNN hack" is a practicing doctor. Not only that, but he is the head of the neurosurgery department at Emory, and is one of the best regarded professionals in the medical field. 

Savage's degree is not even a medical one, and he earned it four decades ago in a field that has changed dramatically since then. Gupta's degree is a medical one, and he's the head of a department at one of the best hospitals in the country.

It shouldn't take a neurosurgeon to figure out who the more credible source is here.

But hey, way to completely ignore the part of my other comment where I showed that Savage isn't a credible medical source.

I'd take the common sense of a Michael Savage or Billy Cunningham over 95% of the hacks on CNN

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Wow, this is hilarious.

I'd prefer my medical advice coming from actual doctors, you know?

+5 HS

Yea, I know, BadOwl.

That's IF you'll still be able to find a good doctor in the future. More and more smart people are avoiding going to med school with the doomed path O***Care has this country heading down. The healthcare system is turning into a train wreck.

How's that hope and change! working out for the country, buddy

{empty platitude & empty platitude!}

-10 HS
Crimson's picture

Since we're all quoting Wikipedia as a great source, here's why illegal drugs are bad.  Since they aren't made by labs like legal drugs, they are frequently laced with things that can kill you.  Specific drugs aside, there's stories every year of deaths from drugs that were laced with arsenic and other things to make them more addictive or to trick "quality" hurdles.

Excellent points, Crimson

And yes, Wiki is not the barometer for truth.

-10 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

And non-practicing doctor turned talking head Michael Savage is?

+1 HS

Bet his IQ is double your IQ. Just sayin'.

Don't knock him till you listen for a week. You need to open your mind, bruh.

-10 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

LOL, I need to open my mind to his ideas? Thanks for the advice but I'm good. I'll stick to majority medical opinion every time.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Crimson - you make a good point, but that doesn't mean anything at all for pot itself. Women get roofied but we're not about to go back to prohibition. The pot itself isn't lethal.

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

@Sox  The point was that pot is illegal and therefore unsafe, because you don't know what's in it.  I never claimed that alcohol was illegal and subject to tampering, nor did I say anything about changing laws.  Actually, the reason they repealed prohibition is because of so many deaths from alcohol toxicity -- not from the alcohol but from the other things that were added to it like varnish.

+3 HS
lsjSnail's picture

whether or not it is laced with something has nothing to do with the "dangers" of weed itself. All that means is you have a shitty dealer or place of purchase.

+4 HS

LsjSnail,

Duuuude, you're sooooooo cool, man!

Tell us please how to find a non-"shitty" dealer or "place of purchase", dude. You're soooo cool, bro. I bet you look super cool tokin your reef, bruh.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Johnny, Not as cool as you look upon your soapbox out front of your glass house DUDE!

+2 HS

Nope, that doesn't apply here Jax.

-10 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Don't even know what that means. Just pointing out the ridiculousness of your posts that ultimately result in personal attacks. Also, I assume you have just as many impassioned pleas against alcohol, too.  

lsjSnail's picture

Man you're an idiot. 

-2 HS

Really insightful comment, Snail

-6 HS
Gametime's picture

Fellow Buckeye, PLEASE stop with the Cannabis propaganda. Not only is it NOT toxic, it's completely natural and when used properly can be a cure for a numerous amount of cancers, including Brain, Throat, Lung, Breast, Pancreatic, Testicular, Prostate, Colorectal, Ovarian, Blood, Liver, Skin, Bilateral, & Bladder.

Not to mention helping to prevent or cure, Alzheimer's, PTSD, Autism, other anxieties and disorders that are generally too many to name, not to mention what it could do if if was used in the textile and fuel industries, not just counting medical & recreational use all while recording it's annual death rate of ZERO.

It's high time you recognize that Big Pharma among others keep the plant suppressed because they recognize there's no money in the cures & because they don't dominate the supply that is imported in this country, yet.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

@Gametime, that is not really a fair comparison. But, maybe it's my fault for not being clear enough. Kind of apples oranges comparison.

When I stress about the dangers of marijuana, I am much more concerned with the youth in this country, not, for example, a 66 year old with cancer. I support medical marijuana for those truly sick. Yes, pot is toxic if you're otherwise healthy, but if you have cancer, it may be able to subside that toxicity. So, I'm essentially saying: don't use the drug as a fun habit if you're a young healthy person.

I am talking about the 16 year old using it as a recreational drug. That is a very dangerous slippery slope. You can't tell me you'd let your 16 year old have the green light (no pun intended) to smoke weed, (assuming ok wasn't medical)?

-10 HS
sox33osu's picture

When they legalize pot and it's production is managed by a governing body, I'd have no problem with my kid doing it as a teen. Like with alcohol, I would want them to do it while I am there, but I'd much rather have that happen than have them go to college and try it on their own. 

+3 HS

Good God, I'm glad you're not my parent.

That's just stupid.

How about the next time you get on a flight...with you getting your wish and if marijuana is even more accessible and legal....let's hope the pilots are high on pot!

Yeah, that'd be great! Ditto the air traffic controllers, and all of the truck drivers and everyone else operating a motor vehicle.

This country has lost its mind.

-10 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

You're providing me with some tremendous entertainment this afternoon, thanks. I've enjoyed this thread very much. It's been a while since I've posted so much on 11W.

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

Are you really this ignorant? Never once did I support people using pot when they are doing their jobs, you derelict. 

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If weed was legalized, it would be regulated in the same way that alcohol is. If you show up to work tomorrow drunk, you'd get fired. No reason to believe that the same wouldn't apply if you showed up to work high.

Alcohol is objectively more harmful, and much more available. So where are your calls for prohibition?

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

He won't address it because he likely enjoys a drink or two every now and then, so he'd be admitting his hypocrisy.

+1 HS
lsjSnail's picture

You are simply the worst kind of person LOL jesus you need to stop watching fox news.

-1 HS

Do I now? Please, tell me which kind of news I should​ watch, guy

-8 HS
lsjSnail's picture

How old are you? You sound like my bigoted father. You two would get along nicely.

-6 HS

Right, anybody who doesn't watch the liberally biased hacks on CNN, NBC, or CBS is automatically a "bigot". Got it, thanks Snail. You're real bright and open-minded. Apparently anybody that has a differing opinion than you or doesn't watch the same garbage news outlets you do is a "bigot". Ok guy. Now it's clear that you're a joke.

-7 HS
theopulas's picture

don't think he was talking about anybody....i think, because of your words.... he was talking about  "just you".....

Theopulas

Disagree. Because what, specifically, did I say that was "bigoted".

...(I won't hold my breath waiting for that answer.)

Watch out with those baseless accusations.

-8 HS

That's right, attack the messenger. Saul Aulinsky's Rules For Radicals.

I don't care if I'm downvoted into oblivion. Bring it.

I'm the voice for the silent common man...combating the snarky, progressive, ass-backwards jackals on here.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm the voice for the silent common man...combating the snarky, progressive, ass-backwards jackals on here.

Combatting the "progressive jackals" on a football forum is a lot like combatting ambidextrous banana farmers on a forum about Breaking Bad.

I don't even care at this point if you're violating commenting policy, at this point your little "mission" is so hilariously pointless that you come off as a parody of yourself. And the thing about arguing politics on the internet, not only is it dumb (especially in a football forum), but you're also not going to change anyone's mind. So what's the point?

+5 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

pls have some plus ones. I burst out laughing at this at the office:

Combatting the "progressive jackals" on a football forum is a lot like combatting ambidextrous banana farmers on a forum about Breaking Bad.

+4 HS
Nicholas Jervey's picture

All right, this has gone on long enough. 

Generally, the site policy is to let downvotes take care of disruptive conversation, but at some point when people keep going they need a reminder: DO NOT DISCUSS POLITICS OR RELIGION. It's literally the first rule of the commenting policy.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

e135800's picture

I agree, I'd rather have a drunk pilot

PLEASE stop with the Cannabis propaganda.

Followed by...

Not only is it NOT toxic, it's completely natural and when used properly can be a cure for a numerous amount of cancers...

= Irony

There is some research that suggests that cannabinoids may suppress cancerous cell growth. There is also research that suggests in some circumstances they may actually induce cancer cell growth in addition to other undesirable effects. It's way too early to make claims about the efficacy of cannabinoids as a potential tool to fight cancer. Regardless, the positive pre-clinical studies use highly refined or synthetic cannabinoids and they aren't administered via smoking.

Whatever benefits it may have, smoking pot does not cure cancer. Conversely it also doesn't cause REEFER MADNESS!

People on both sides of the issue in this thread need to dial back the crazy.

As BrandonBauer87 already said. It doesn't matter what your personal opinion on the topic is, there are rules currently in place and Quick is subject to them.

+7 HS
sox33osu's picture

You're right lutefisk. I don't think anyone here is saying he was in the right. No questioning that there are rules in place and he broke them.

+1 HS

Correct Scarlet.  It's silly to suggest a conspiracy theory surrounding Big Pharma.  Considering that pharma specializes in target identification and drug development, and considering the current therapies and the difficulties with many of these therapies, if there was something there, they would have developed it already. After all, big pharma seems to have already explored development of cannabis like compounds. Very few were successful enough to be brought to market.  

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

Yea, except I clearly didn't just reference smoking the reefer as it were. Nothing Ironic about what I said in the slightest; the history of hemp usage on a worldwide scale, like I said, medicinal use, textiles, energy/fuel, etc. is unprecedented. Nobody said "smoking it cured cancer" either. The fact of the matter is there's more substantiated positive research then there is negative research when examining the plant outside of of lumped tests. When it's often cast with the effects of tobacco, heroin, cocaine, meth, etc as a drug within general study, rather than on it's own merits as a herb, the "studies" are often skewed when there's nothing negative to report.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

Nothing Ironic about what I said in the slightest;

Decrying the use of propaganda and then following it up with...propaganda is the very definition of irony.

Regardless, the claim that marijuana cures cancer cannot be substantiated. Being 'all natural' is a meaningless buzzword. The plant's potential applications are not 'unprecedented' vis-à-vis other multi use flora (bamboo, sugarcane, rattan etc). If it's a fact that there is 'more substantiated positive research', then you'll have no problem providing actual numbers & citations right?

Cannabis sativa is a useful plant but proponent's need top stop pushing the magic beans angle.

clogan1032's picture

You should look up Dr. Munch and see his findings if we are blindly putting faith in doctors based on title. Just because you have advanced degrees doesn't make you intelligent nor knowledgeable on a subject matter. This is the same guy that has an issue with marijuana smoke but is perfectly fine with tobacco smoke, fail to see that rationale when tobacco and alcohol kill more people then any two drugs combined. And it isn't even close. Open up your mind, do some research and stop getting facts from a right wing ego maniac who claimed he could cure Aids with Vitamin C and kick heroin with coffee enemas. Not saying marijuana is free of consequences but test are showing improved lung functioning in marijuana smokers among other positives from controlled usage.  Your one sided beliefs, while your beliefs, aren't wholly factual and are painted with a very wide brush stroke 

You're wrong Clogan. And it's just not Dr. Savage who knows his stuff. Do some research...open YOUR mind.

-5 HS
clogan1032's picture

Nothing but facts there sir.  I have a very open mind and do plenty of research.  You say he knows his stuff but I have pointed out two areas where he couldn't be more off base.  To each their own, I'll trust my research over yours though.  Best of luck Shane.

e135800's picture

Michael Savage as in the right wing kook nutcase on the radio Michael Savage?  Not sure anyone would take anything serious from that alien

+2 HS
e135800's picture

Double post

otrain2416's picture

Not taking sides because I believe it has benefits for certain pain treatments, but coming from someone in the medical field there has been very strong correlations with smoking weed at an early age and developing Schizophrenia later in life. Saying it's poisonous is probably a little strong, but contrary to popular belief there are negative side effects. 

+5 HS
clogan1032's picture

Harvard Medical studies disapproved the link to Schizophrenia. Still doesn't mean there aren't harmful attributes to marijuana 

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

Do you have a link to that study by chance or know what database it was on? I read one from a California school that did one that had no correlation in 2003, but later studies I read that followed up that suggested a correlation of developing it or setting it off at an earlier age. Just like to compare and contrast stuff. 

+3 HS

Quick only did this because he realized that the number of Gibson threads were about to break his old 11w record.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
Knarcisi's picture

You better check yourself, there :

- Timmons 

+1 HS

"He's the G.O.A.T." -WayCraKen

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Where is Waycracken?  Did he finally get arrested for stalking Timmons?

sox33osu's picture

Anyone hear anything new on Diggs?

+1 HS

Calling it now...LOCK!

-6 HS
Earle's picture

STEENSN, is that you?

Just say no to italics abuse.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Good grief.

And its only friggin' June.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
blazers34's picture

Man, this thread is the worst

+2 HS
JJHerman's picture

Harry J. Anslinger weed quote to congress back in 1937. Anslinger was the head of what is now the DEA. Weed became illegal because big lumber feared it. But that got people to turn against it because of racism.

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

So watch out that in another 70 years you don't sound this stupid. "Watch Michael Savage" haha wow you turned on the radio. I think he's entertaining to listen to as well but how about you do your own research.

PowerfulPrimates are powerful....

+2 HS

[Comment removed by 11W Staff]

-9 HS
buckeyedude's picture

You turned a perfectly good thread into a race issue, JJHerman. Dang.

Gametime's picture

Why is this getting down voted? This is the actual truth. Cannabis was made illegal wholly based on private interests and fear-mongering based on race. They even made up the name "marijuana" to make it sound more menacing.

It's crazy that people use buzz words like "Conspiracy Theory" to dismiss facts, scientific study, & historical events. It's not about talking about politics in the forum, but merely to point to the fact just dismissing things as "Conspiracy" is asinine. Don't drink the kool-aid, we all conspire to do things daily.

Northwoods, Paperclip, Prescott Facist Coup; these things happened.

TheVictoryBell45's picture

Weed needs to be legalized at every level. Everybody knows its harmless but we still allow our government to put us in a cage for using it. 

-1 HS

It's not exactly harmless. It does impair certain abilities. I've always thought that it won't be universally accepted until there's an objective way to measure impairment from weed, similar to bac for alcohol. Once they find a way to promote responsible recreational use (and be able to lawfully enforce it), legalization will happen fast. 

+6 HS

No its harmless. Actually, its beneficial when used responsibly. Lol

-1 HS

TheVictoryBell:

If you're being serious, you need to just hang your head in shame after that comment.

-8 HS

Why? What part of that statment was false? If a police officer catches you with marijuana in most states you go to jail. If you think thats right then you are delusional. 

+1 HS
1967Buck's picture

After reading the above topics and thoughts of others. I think I need a beer or two.

+3 HS
buckskin's picture

Easy guys, we know he turned to the reefer after future Buckeye legend Damon Webb owned him at that 7 on 7 camp. I believe that qualifies as medicinal use.

+6 HS

Haha, now THAT is the best comment of the day, Buckskin

+1

-5 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I think you are all high on something lol because I can't believe this topic/story has 130+ comments already!!! I'm sure everybody here posting on this board never did anything like lighting up when you were 18 right....... um yeah sorry I don't give a horses ass about what happens with the grass in that other state with players on those other teams in those other conferences.

D-Day0043's picture

You been puffin' the magic dragon Focker?

I am D-Day0043 and I approve this message.

+6 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

I love this site BUT... it is a bit ridiculous that anyone that posts some lame vine that says BOOM gets 25 upvotes but anyone that posts their true intelligent opinion about a recruit gets downvoted.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

BOOM!

Sorry. I have no self control. :)

+6 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Even though I know someone is going to reference the bottle in his hand...

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

It's tied-stick man.

What's tied stick, never heard of that. 

You know man, that stuff that's tied to a stick...blows your mind man.

More or less the conversation...best weed smokin' nonsense movie of all time.

So, James Quick huh? Who dat?

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

jaxbuckeye's picture

Man, you missed the best lines of the movie.

Hey man am I driving OK?

I think we're parked man. 

ScarletGray43157's picture

Marijuana, alcohol, and even tobacco all have medicinal properties when used in that way i.e. for medicinal purposes.  Most often these are used by people to self-medicate instead which in the long run is not conducive to a constructive outcome of their use.  If the emotional level involved whenever these things are debated is taken into account, it is clear that there may be a lot of self-medication going on.  Not passing judgement, just sayin'...

In old Ohio there's a team that's known throughout the land...

CincyOSU's picture

I'd like to thank Johnny-Shane for one of the more epic meltdowns we've seen in quite some time on here. It's been quite entertaining following this the past few days.

+4 HS
e135800's picture

tOSU medical dept has published a study stating that cannabis use may help in delaying the onset of Alzheimer's not only by protecting the brain cells from plaque but by actually stimulating the growth of new brain cells.   Keep dranking that good ol liquor and beer, since it's legal, it aint bad for your brain eh?

http://medireview.com/2014/02/study-medical-marijuana-may-prevent-alzhei...

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/endocan.htm

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/01/30/smoking-marijuana-might-best-way-p...

+4 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Sox, it wasn't your fault.  You posted a thread about a player's arrest.  That's sports.

The other guy seized the opportunity to argue, ad nauseam, his sociopolitical point of view.  And, not for the first time.  Why some people view themselves as defenders of the faith, and feel compelled to spout their ideologies at every turn, whether asked or apropos, or not, astounds me.  I scream, therefore, I am.  Arguing with such a person is fruitless; it simply provides him an opportunity to repeat his drivel, and maybe branch of on some other irrelevant tangent, e.g. race, media, health care -- you name it.

It gets so old.  And the worst part is, he'll be back in another persona in no time -- or already is.  Old advice may be best advice: Don't Feed The Trolls.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS