Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

TatGate Interview

Osurrt's picture
June 4, 2014 at 9:33am
13 Comments

Found an interesting article on cleveland.com that interviews the lead NCAA Investigator of TatGate. He is now with a legal firm that has filed a lawsuit AGAINST the NCAA for its "outdate practices and principles". There were two key take home messages for me.

1. His comments lead one to suspect that the selling of player possessions is an old outdated concept (but he was tasked with "enforcing the current rules, not those he believes in")
  2. And despite numerous reports and the media circus that jumped all over it.....Coach Tressel NEVER lied to an NCAA investigator about the TatGate scandal. His violation (and a major one to the investigator) is that he kept the information to himself and never shared it with Smith or Gee (still a skeptic about this).

Here is the article:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/06/former_ncaa_investigator_...

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

People are INSANE if they think Tressel never "shared the information."  It's painfully obvious that Tressel was simply the sacrificial lamb in all of this and "fell on the sword" for the betterment of the University.

+4 HS
rdubs's picture

I have always felt a bit torn about this.  It seems unlikely that no one else knew anything, but given his explanation about the confidentiality of an FBI investigation I wouldn't be surprised if he really did keep things to himself.  I have to believe that if he told Gene Smith then Smith would have gotten lawyers involved to determine what they were legally allowed to share that also would have kept the NCAA from accusing them of covering up violations.  Ultimately it appears that Tressel never went to a lawyer himself which really would have been the smartest move at the time.

+3 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

Omg yes!!!!! This is what pisses me off about how OSU handles things.. Every other school gets a top notch lawyer and tells the media and the NCAA to go to hell except OSU???? It doesn't matter what tge other school has done.. Rape, assaults, theft, drug possession etc. Ohio State does a piss poor job of handling scandal and it starts with the leadership...

Furious George 27's picture

That is not exactly true, the last school that did that prior to OSU was USC and that didn't work out for them. Assault, theft, drugs etc are not enforced by the NCAA that is why schools can tell them to F' off. If they have evidence of actual NCAA violations, then its better to play ball. OSU got screwed because no team cited with FTM has ever had a post season ban which again says the NCAA is complete bs on how they punish.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

-1 HS
rdubs's picture

I think people said he lied because he signed a form claiming that he did not know of any violations happening at that time.  As emails that were uncovered through the investigation indicated, that wasn't true.

These forms are also likely the reason that OSU "turned in" Florida (and some other institutions if I recall correctly) for some bump-type recruiting infractions because now OSU is being extra vigilant about reporting anything they might possibly know about.

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I don't have a problem with the NCAA enforcing rules, I have a problem with how they radomly pick and choose the punishment.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

IMO, Tatgate is one of, if not the, most ridiculous example(s) of the NCAA's lack of consistency and application of fair-practice. Compare the punishment that OSU, Tress, and the players involved got to other things the NCAA either turns a blind eye to or punishes/punished to a lesser extent: I think the FSU situation, although more of a legal situation rather than an NCAA concern, is troubling and their protection of their star player prevents justice being served. They hammered PSU for placing football above all else, yet FSU gets a free ride for their blatant favoritism to football and Winston. Things like that make Tatgate look even more ridiculous than it already was/is. 

+1 HS
jpbuckeye's picture

Also troubling: lack of enforcement of rules at Miami (da U). Maybe they could not find evidence, I do not recall.

Also troubling: lack of punishment over academic scandal at UNC.

I agree in regards to enforcing the rules. I am for it but I expect they to be enforced uniformly across the board. That levels the playing field.

bigDbuck's picture

NCAA is douchbag of an organization. Can't sell stuff that belongs to you, really, Pakistan would be ashamed of some of the so called laws. Thanks god it's about to be blown up!

+2 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

I still just can't believe that they continue to punish kids for something they had nothing to do with.  That itself is the worst part IMO.

If you wanna punish a program, fine them, take away scholarships but no way should they give bowl bans.  Those kids deserve to have their hard work pay off.

+2 HS
sb97's picture

And the amount of attention that surrounded Ohio State was a little surprising. I mean, I knew that it would receive some attention because it is Ohio State, but seemingly every day there was some discussion about what was taking place at Ohio State, for many, many months."

That was the part that stood out to me.  I think in hindsight most people would probably agree that media firestorm surrounding the situation was not really inline with the actual transgressions.  Remember at one point people were seriously debating the death penalty for our case.  But hey, I guess we all need to sell magazines, papers, get eyeballs on our TV programs, and get clicks on our websites.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I know a former player who said the exact same thing: that Tressel was the fall guy. This player is also no Gene Smith fan.

-1 HS
gemcitybuckeye's picture

The only thing Tress was guilty of was being an "old school philosophy" coach.  He loved his Buckeye family, his Buckeye program, his state of Ohio. He loved the North.  Sure, maybe he did receive an e-mail about a small, minute few of his kids that (potentially) did trade a couple of their trinkets.  Trinkets that was THEIRS. Trinkets that they earned and owned.  Had they waited one more year they could of put them on Ebay and sold them for whatever the hell they wanted.  Because they owned them, and could of did whatever the hell they liked with them.  None of us will ever truly know what happened with how it was handled.  Was Tressel just the fall guy?  Did his old school ways and faithfulness in the old gods end up being his downfall?  We will never truly know.  Nonetheless, we had to watch his public trial.  Then, unfortunately, we had to watch his old school philosophies and his old school honor and pride be his imminent downfall.  As he sat there--bowed and broken--looking out at us with that old, honor-filled  smirk, while heckles of "cheater" and "traitor" screamed at him over and over.  He just calmly sat there,  and layed his head on the chopping block.  Staring out at us with that old, honor-filled smirk.