Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Johnny Football and his new BFF

Calgarybuck's picture
May 26, 2014 at 12:22pm
38 Comments

FROMTHE18's picture

who cares what Johnny Manziel is doing? I feel like people monitor his every breath. He is a heisman winner with no conference titles and no BCS wins. His college career, although phenomenal on his own individual play, didn't produce the type of results that warrant the level of attention he gets. He has yet to play a snap for the Browns and when he does I hope for clevelands sake he does well. If not, this insane amount of news coverage will just look more ridiculous than it already does. 

+9 HS
cdub4's picture

I think the people who thought it cool enough to pose with him in the pics, and the people who click on stories about him care. Granted, him going to Vegas for a weekend isn't the type of story you cut in programming for, but some people find the kid interesting it appears.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm 21 years old. So is Johnny Manziel. If I had his fame and money, I'd be doing exactly what he is doing. Why hate a rich and famous 21-year-old for partying?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
route4buckeye's picture
+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

I'd guesstimate over half of this board is out of touch with today's society. 

When I look at that picture this is what I see....

When the out of touch with society people look at the picture they see this....

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
BroJim's picture

Really Bass? I call shenanigans. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Seriously, are we going to get angry at a 21-year-old kid for drinking beer poolside with some beautiful women? Wouldn't we all love to do that?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

@BASS - I'm completely out of touch with today's society, but I was far too busy admiring the girls (and checking to see if Elika was in that picture too) to have any judgemental thoughts.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+5 HS
kmp10's picture

I don't hate him, but I don't care for him either … and it has nothing to do with his partying. It's the way he carries himself, the arrogance, the self importance and the attention seeking. His "money gesture", in my opinion, screams 'look at me'. I'm 50, more than twice Manziel's age, so that might have something to do with my opinion specific to him. Having said that, I'm also twice Jimmy Garoppolo's age, but he doesn't irritate me in the least. He seems to be a humble, sensible kid who draws attention to himself only through his play on the field. I'm sure Garoppolo has partied plenty, and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't enjoy a weekend in Vegas with beautiful girls and celebrities… but he'd go about it differently than Manziel. Guys like Manziel (or Rob Gronkowski) are too full of themselves for me. Is it age? Maybe. Is it just a personality difference? Probably. 

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Funny you say that, I actually briefly met Gronk two years ago, he seems like a pretty great dude. The Gronkowski's seem pretty fun to hang out with, actually. Back when Elika was still at 11W, she wrote a story about her time at the ESPY's where she was basically tasked with babysitting the Gronkowski's and had a great time. 

I'm sure Garoppolo has partied plenty, and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't enjoy a weekend in Vegas with beautiful girls and celebrities… but he'd go about it differently than Manziel.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Johnny Football was under a microscope at TAMU that does not exist at Eastern Illinois.

I think the age thing has a lot to do with it. Athletes have always been a bit wild, but there is a lot more exposure now since anyone can take a picture and send it to TMZ. This is just par for the course.

BassDropper's picture

This.

Johnny was the first freshman to ever win the heisman and had a catchy nickname that rose his popularity to legendary status. Johnny hasn't changed because of his status, he has always been a partier. The attention that comes with a college mega-star (I think he surpassed Tebow in terms of popularity), he is bound to have party pics on the web. I've mentioned it here before, but I work at a pretty popular club here in Columbus, I see multiple players each week, and I guarantee these guys are having just as much fun as Johnny Manziel....especially Kenny Guiton. (worth mentioning that Braxton is the complete opposite of Kenny G and Johnny Manziel.)

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Johnny was the first freshman to ever win the heisman

Redshirt freshman.

(I think he surpassed Tebow in terms of popularity)

Unlikely.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
BassDropper's picture

Johnny was the first freshman to ever win the heisman

Redshirt freshman.

LOL you're reaching on that one. notice the word my post and your post share in common, "freshman", and Johnny was the 1st.

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Big difference between a true and redshirt freshman.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Im not disagreeing with that...but where did I say there is no difference? I only pointed out a fact. That Johnny is the first freshman to win the Heisman. Doesn't matter if he was redshirted or not, the fact remains the same.

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS

It would of been a huge deal if not for the fact the very next year another red shirt freshman won said Heisman.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-4 HS
BassDropper's picture

You don't understand the importance of Johnny winning and how it has changed the game. It still is a huge deal, he's still FIRST, but now he isn't the only. It used to be laughable to even think of a freshman winning the heisman, redshirt or true. Johnny broke the barrier, and it has shown as recent as last year when Jameis won. The Heisman has been around since 1935, thats 77 football season that a freshman did not win the award...still is a huge deal. 

If a black president was elected office after Obama's term, would Obama breaking the barrier be a big deal or nah?

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS

Now you want to compare Johnny winning the Heisman to Obama? The Heisman has lost its luster to a lot of people over the last 2 years. It use to be about integrity among other things. I'd bet money if they could take back those votes they would. There was a reason it use to go to a Jr. or Sr. and I'm sure it will go back to what has worked the other 70+ years.

-3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Now you want to compare Johnny winning the Heisman to Obama?

Yea, I do. Because both of those people have done something that has never been done before them. 

The Heisman has lost its luster to a lot of people over the last 2 years.

Not to me. That's the only thing I care about, not "a lot of people"

I'd bet money if they could take back those votes they would. 

But they can't and thats the great thing about giving the award to someone immediately after the season, only on field performance matters.

There was a reason it use to go to a Jr. or Sr. and I'm sure it will go back to what has worked the other 70+ years.

I would bet every penny I make for the rest of my life that at least 2 freshman (at least one of them being a true freshman) win the Heisman in the next 10 years.

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS
nikolajz1's picture

I'd say he produced results. He helped take A&M from a mediocre/bad team to competing for national titles in the SEC in the course of 2 years. That's pretty impressive to me. 

+1 HS
UrbanDreamz's picture

Competing for national titles in the SEC?  Considering their best finish over the past two years was 3rd in their own division in the SEC I don't think we can quite talk about Texas A&M and National Championships in the same sentence. 

I also don't think he took over a mediocre/bad football team.  Let's not forget that he had two teammates taken in the top 10 of this year's NFL draft and also had the #2 pick from last years draft that he played behind for one season.  Big things were expected of A&M his freshman year but they never put it together under Tannehill.  He took over a team with a decent amount of talent and improved them from 7 wins to 11 wins in 2012.  That year he got to play behind an offensive line that had bookends of Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews.  He followed that up with a 9-4 season.  The guy went 10-6 as starter in the SEC over two seasons.  I believe that is the 5th best winning percentage from a QB who had at least 10 SEC starts over that two year span. 

Manziel is an exciting player but with the good comes the bad with him.  I think your elevation of the Texas A&M team under him is a bit exaggerated. 

"Twelve months ago on Jan. 9, my mom's birthday, I made the decision to come back. I had one goal in mind and that was to win a national championship."  ~Mike Doss

-1 HS
nikolajz1's picture

People forget Lebron did this exact same thing at 21 and he turned out ok. 

Pretty sure almost every player in the NFL parties but we never hear about it. 

+2 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

let be honest ... if he wasnt a football star he wouldnt pull that kind of quality ace

it s not his looks why those girls are hangingout with him

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Why is he so far away from the girls?

BassDropper's picture

Where is the thread for these guys

Ha. Michigan QB's drink Natty Light

DIRECTIONER

teddyballgame's picture

can't hate him for seemingly livin' the dream. 

hope he keeps the partying in control though, don't become leinart-esque type bust

Kindell's picture

Everything this guy does is going to be a story. I don't care what he does as long as he wins football games. Sports stars have always partied hard, now a days it's just easier to track with phones and social media.

+1 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

Agreed. Joe Namath knew how to party - we just didn't get instant pictures when he did.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

Rocket Man's picture

We did get one instant picture of Broadway Joe after a party . . .

Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely.

buckskin's picture

I absolutely love Joe Namath, he is the man. STRUGGLING.

PittBuckeye's picture

I just loved the argument on Sports Center this AM that everyone was just saying how Manziel shouldn't have been there, but they said nobody has a problem with Gronk. Well nobody has any expectation of Gronk making good choices.

Should Manziel have been there? Probably not he should have had nose to the grindstone learning the playbook and all that. Is it a really big deal? No. My problem is everyone seems to fall way on one end of the thing. All I hear is boo hiss bad Johnny, or dude man bro get off the kid those girls are hot homie like serrrriusly chillax. It's in the middle to me.

-1 HS
Athens BuckCat's picture

Can't say I take issue with this, I'd likely do much the same thing. At least he's not running a dog-fighting ring, assaulting people, or worse. If he wins n the field then all is well 

Buck Commander's picture

I think Bass is goin for the down vote record 39 and counting on one comment page!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

I seem to recall within the past few years a couple of posters topped various threads out at -200 votes.  There have been some doozies.

+2 HS
House804's picture

Just wait until he starts winning - all the talking heads who say "he shouldn't be there" will be falling down over each other to be the first one on the bandwagon.  "You know Johnny....parties hard, plays hard, such a competitor. Blah blah blah."  Just wait.

Its also funny how people act like he should miss eating and sleeping to "get his nose in the playbook."  It's Memorial Day weekend - Excuse me for not filing extra TPS reports on Saturday instead of going to the pool. I guarantee he's working/studying his ass off.

We talkin' bout practice?!  Not the game I love...the game I die for.  Practice?!

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Elika seems to be getting some celebrity from this. I heard Mike and Mike talk about it this morning. Unfortunately she is just an unnamed girl in the story. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

After reading this post .......... I get the feeling that Bass Dropper is about to de-commit