Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Who coaches after Meyer?

The Clean North's picture
May 22, 2014 at 12:12pm
87 Comments

I just want to start by saying I love Urban Meyer at the helm for the Buckeyes. I want him to stay another 10 years or more. Eventually we all will have to go through a coaching change whether it be in a year or 20 so who would be the best case scenario replacement? I think Kliff Kingsbury would be a good hire if he continues on his roll at Texas Tech.

Offseason is so slow. Just trying to pass the time. 

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Who is going to coach after that???

-The Aristocrats!

+12 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Holy hell. So we beat the shit out of threads on Fickell, the D in general, uniforms, stadiums, now on to whos going to coach in 10 years?? I know its offseason, but there must be something discussion worthy out there.

Are you all aware that we only have 2 commits now?!?!

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS

Well he has retired early once and there have been a couple times he had health issues so yeah it's crossed my mind. Be open minded or don't comment. 

-4 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Perhaps I've been rash sir...Friday can't come soon enough with my 3 day weekend lol

UFM_Renewal

AngryWoody's picture

Our Honor Defend!

+28 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

Jim Tressel

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+18 HS
buckeyejma's picture

My answer is its not his time to retire or leave the greatest university in the United States, if we're going to play that game your question should read Who is going to be the next head coach @ *ichigan or better known as ttun, that's a more realistic question than your post.

Step aside Nick, Urban is the real rock star!

+2 HS

I really doubt urban is going to come to you and ask permission before he retires. You don't know when his time will be. 

-1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Yoda.

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Tough crowd. 

It really is hard to guess though. Not many top coaches can be picked two years in advance, let alone ten. Marcus Freeman maybe?  He's just getting started, but it seems like he has a future. Maybe Vrabel?

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

I have thought of Kliff Klingsbury too but he either needs to work on his defense or have extremely good DCs

Class of '16

OSUpawn's picture

Some great minded college kid that has coaching in his blood.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

Kliff Kingsbury is a Texas Tech alumni ... He's not going anywhere.

I know Fickell is the obvious choice near future, but what about Herman?

Long term, if Vrabel can get a DC position in the NFL, would he then come back to be a HC at OSU?

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

If KK gets Texas Tech to national relevance than I can see him staying there for the rest of his coaching career, but if they stay at the upper mid level of the B12 for sometime, then he'll move on to bigger and better things.

Class of '16

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Texans don't leave Texas.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

We have the best coach in college football and we're talking about Kliff Kingsbury?  Is this thread a joke?

Urban's going to be coaching here for a very long time.

+4 HS

How can you possibly know that? Unless you personally know him you don't know how long he is going to be here. 

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Second that.

Very interested to see how he progresses on the sidelines in the pros.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

I have thought about this way more than I'd like to admit, and I still don't have a viable candidate. No way we're #blessed enough to have Urban Meyer for another decade, though. Shelley Meyer has even admitted he's way too high strung to do what he does for that long. 

Honestly, I think we have another five years of Meyer, tops. 

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

RedStorm45's picture

If that's the case, and God forbid he doesn't win a title by 2019...will his tenure be seen as a failure?

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Most of me says, "Yes."  The tiny part that says "No" is ashamed at my expectations and how spoiled I am with OSU football.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Going into Tressel's third year it was the 2003 season. Im guessing not many people knew of Urban at the time. There is a good chance that the next football coach is at a small school right now or is an assistant somewhere. 

Mac..yeah

+13 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I hope they consider me. I've won 3 straight national championships in NCAA Football '11. I go for it on every 4th down and I blitz a lot.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+12 HS
1MechEng's picture

Sure, but do you recruit well? Are you going to fill the program with thugs? How many bodies have you buried so far ...?! Any tattoos?

+3 HS

Are you going to fill the program with thugs?

#1 class two out of 3 years.

Are you going to fill the program with thugs?

No. Just "soldiers".

How many bodies have you buried so far ...?!

Not as many as Craig James.

Any tattoos?

No comment.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+9 HS
buckeyedude's picture

LMAO @ Vstheworld. Get your resume ready, brah. Never too early to prepare. I love your aggressive mentality with going for it on every 4th down. That takes balls.

We don't recruit punters(sorry JT). 4th and 20 on my own 1? Go for it. My hope is that the officials will allow me to restart the game if it doesn't work.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

seriously, why even think about this? Its one thing to worry about who will be the starting QB 2 seasons from now after Braxton moves on. Its an entirely more ridiculous thing to worry about something that could be at least 5 years from now.

Kliff Kingsbury is a model acting like a coach. How about we give the guy more than one year, a season where they weren't even a top 3 team in their conference, before we talk about him coaching for any other team than the one he quarterbacked for. There is no evidence that he will be qualified enough. Better bet would be Dantonio. or as said above, someone we don't know about yet because we are talking about years down the road.

if I had to pick someone, I would most likely go with someone who is a successor to Urban and knows the system. If you bring in another system, we are talking a couple years to get the right players. Urban was able to make a smooth transition because Braxton was already hear. If you bring in Kingsbury, a QB-DT might not fit. Then you end up like Muschamp down in Florida trying to run a system the QBs don't fit in. Personally, already went through a year with Luke Fickel. I don't need a year where a DL tackles our own DBs allowing an FCS opponent to score the go ahead TD.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS

seriously, why even think about this?

Better this than another "OHIO STATE, Y U NO RECRUIT BETTER" thread.

+5 HS
blocko330's picture

Oh my god he started a thread about our next coach!  Meyer's leaving tomorrow! Some of you are killing me with these comments about this topic. If you're going to hate then start a topic that is news worthy or worth commenting on, oh ya that's right there isn't anything.  It's the offseason folks and about 5-15 new topics get started each day not all can keep you at the edge of your seat.

To answer your question though I would like to see Herman stick it out in his current position and take over.

+3 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

If Tom Herman is still here in two years, that'll be your answer. The only way he stays on as OC is if he's head coach-in-waiting. Otherwise, I gotta think Vrabel would come home if the opportunity was there.

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

WHY is Herman's name being mentioned so often?  I don't get it. 

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Because as OC here the offense has set numerous records and the team has gone a combined 24-2 with our defense the way it is. 

buckeyeEddie27's picture

Man, this guy is getting hammered. It's the off season and he just making conversation. Why not indulge him and play along? Geesh.
There are threads on here started about OSU making the top 25 of some 16 year old who is about to announce the day he plans to announce the announcement date of his top 15 schools and this guy is getting hammered for a pointless subject? C'mon Man!

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+4 HS
daveyt11's picture

Depending on his tenure at Purdue...I think Darrell Hazell may be considered. 

BassDropper's picture
+6 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Hahahahaha.  What is Vrabs doing with his facial hair in that pic?  Hilarious.

BassDropper's picture

I'm not sure, but if Vrabel was to ever be the head coach at OSU, that's the Vrabel I want.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I agree BD...he's got the chops.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

You can't triple stamp a double stamp! Lloyd! LLOYD!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Everybody knows that, Jamesbrown. LOL.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Dantonio>Herman>New Blood

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Brady Patrick Hoke, the J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Tyrone Willingham?

BassDropper's picture

Glen Mason

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Dude, what about this guy?

+1 HS

There should be an 11w law against showing cute women without providing their names.

+2 HS
+2 HS
THEOSUfan's picture

I agree that this is a ridiculous topic, but given it is the off-season, I will play along.

Someone from the Tressel or Meyer coaching trees: Mark Dantonio or Charlie Strong.

HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Why would Charlie Strong leave Texas for Ohio State? That's a lateral move. Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame (amongst a few others I can't type without vomiting) are the absolute pinnacle of coaching. Unless Strong is FROM Ohio, I can't see it.

Lawver_5's picture

Pat Narduzzi? We obviously know he can coach up a defense and he has some Ohio ties

+3 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

SMH @ the creator of this thread.

-2 HS
SoDakBuckeyeFan's picture

Bo Pellini's cat

SoDakBuckeyeFan

+7 HS
clogan1032's picture

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for John L Smith still...

SilverBullet-98's picture

If we stayed in house. I think Tom Herman is the most qualified and would also open up a even bigger pipeline from Texas.

2nd would be Luke Fickell, nobody loves Ohio State more. He will have coached and learned under Tressel, Meyer and Cooper.

If we decide to go minority or Tressel Tree, I give Darrel Hazell . In fact I will go so far as to say Hazell would have replaced Tressel before Fickell. All Day Vince Marrow might be worth a look.

Mike or Mark Stoops.

All in All, I hope Meyer stays for a long time. I'm not real impressed with my picks. But they can all recruit.

"The Past Builds the Future"

-2 HS
bgsubuckeye's picture

If Mark Stoops has some success at Kentucky, I definitely could see a hire like him.

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Who's the head coach after Urban? In 10 years, someone you've never heard of.

+1 HS
BuckeyeChris's picture

Yep. This. He's probably the QB coach at a MAC school, right now. 

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I want to know who the guy is that follows the guy that follows Urban Meyer.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Spielman

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+1 HS

Peyton Manning would be something pretty epic. He has always had "football smarts". He's been the face of 2 franchises from day one so being in the spotlight is no problem and you'd have to imagine he'd be able to recruit some great players to come play for him. Not to mention quarterbacks. This is all assuming that he goes the coaching route after the NFL and not a sports caster. 

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

Come on, man. We all know he'll be going to Tennessee just like Jon Gruden and Vonn Bell...

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Urban will coach for so long that by the end of his tenure we will have the technology to download all his football knowledge, recruiting acumen, and coaching experience into a sentient look-a-like cyborg, so he will be succeeded by . . . Cyborg Urban Meyer.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

If we are going that route I'll vote for Hologram Woody Hayes.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jamesrbrown322's picture

THIS GUY, DUH!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This guy will be ready in about 20 years

GR8TBUCKS's picture

AARON VINCENT CRAFT

MY BUTT'S SO BIG, I SPLIT MY PJ BOTTOMS

+1 HS
tussey's picture

You know he played quarterback in high school.

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Lets say Urban Meyer retired right after this upcoming season and Ohio State had a full off season to search for a replacement. The coach I would predict, and would want to get the job would be Tom Herman. Dantonio would be up there as well though. After watching Urbans electrifying offenses for the last couple of years, I'm not ready to go back to Tressel ball. Bring on the Herman era. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

bgsubuckeye's picture

My out of the blue prediction.

D.J. Durkin

Write it down and save it because I have a crystal ball.

SilverBullet-98's picture

Chris Ash??

Tom Herman

Mark Stoops/Vince Marrow great Ohio recruiting ties plus SEC belt.

Chad Morris (Clemson OC)

Dave Doeren-(N.C. St. HC)

You might get Pat Narduzzi to leave Mark Dantonio, like Dantonio left Tressel for UC. Depends on Narduzzi's ambition for a HC position.

Truth be told, it will probably be a coach hand picked by Meyer, or from his staff. And they havn't kept Luke Fickell around for nothing. Luke has some juice when it comes to tOSU.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS