Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Duron Carter to the NFL in 2015?

BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture
May 21, 2014 at 10:45pm
43 Comments

I happened to know Duron Carter a little bit at Ohio State, so I've always hoped that he would get it together so he could fulfill his potential.  A couple articles have been published in the last month that shed some light on what he's up to.

Carter is playing with the Alouettes in the CFL.  (I'm sure we knew that.)  He did pretty well, racking up 909 yards and 5 touchdowns.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/roster/show/id/6307

The Alouettes signed Chad Johnson, so Duron may be competing with him for catches in the upcoming year.  Duron's contract ends after this season, and the Alouettes seem to think that the young man will be in the NFL before long.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24530660/cfl-signing-pairs-chad-johnson-with-duron-carter-in-montreal

My favorite part:

In case you missed it, a 2013 USA Today article offered Cris's thoughtful defense of his son:

"He didn't commit a crime, he has no tattoos, he has no kids, and he's a pleasant kid. His thing is he hates school, though," Cris Carter told USA TODAY Sports. "And I'm his dad. He's really bright; he's got an IQ over 130. He just hates school. We gave him the pretest on the Wonderlic. He got a 28."

Once more, Cris repeated with emphasis on each word: "He. Just. Hates. (Bleeping). School."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/23/duron-carter-nfl-draft/2107981/

I do think it's fair to say that, no matter your opinion of his work ethic, etc., Duron is indeed a very smart and intellectually capable young man.

Here's hoping his problems are in the past.

Seattle Linga's picture

Good luck young man - I think I can speak for all of us - you'll always be a part of this unique family and we all wish you the best with your next step. Thanks for posting BPL

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

good for him but in the context of OSU football: he spent a year here and was a mess. His talent (and father) has provided opportunities beyond his lackluster year at OSU so hope he has changed course and seized the moment. Other than that, he isn't a Buckeye. Im sure Ill get some flack from the pro-Cris Carter or pro-"He was at OSU for like a minute so he is still a buckeye" crowd, but he didn't do anything at OSU but give little effort in the classroom and flunked out; also, he was so terrible at effort that even Nick Saban said no way. Hope he makes it from one human to another, but Duron Carter is not an OSU thing and hasn't been since he flunked out 4-5 years ago. 

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Its hard to cure entitlement and laziness but he looks like he is on his way. He could have been a great one and hopefully he will still get a chance at the NFL.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Hard to imagine a better role model for Duron than old Ocho Cinco.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Hated school? Come on, man.

Nonetheless...good luck DC.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

If he just hates school he won't like all of the NFL film study and NFL play book memorization.

+6 HS
cdub4's picture

That makes no sense. None at all. Maybe he hates biology and poli sci but likes football.

-3 HS
Mr Soul's picture

What's to like about school?

Keep the change, ya filthy animal!

AndyVance's picture

Doesn't our own beloved Troy Smith play for the Alouettes, too?

EDIT: Googled my own question. Yes, Smith, Carter and Johnson all now playing for the Alouettes. Anyone up for a trek to Montreal to catch a game?

+1 HS
Earle's picture

It would be worth the trip if only for the poutine:

Just say no to italics abuse.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

I spent a couple of days in Toronto and Montreal earlier this month, and the one thing I didn't get done that was on my list was trying the local poutine. Guess I have no choice but to go back now.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

"Canada, eh? You almost made it..."

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
daveyt11's picture

FWIW...they open up June 14 in Hamilton...about 4 hour drive from Cleveland...great beer!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Just a bit longer for me but what kind of beer they serving north of the border DaveyT?

+1 HS
daveyt11's picture

Lakeport Honey Lager and Lakeport Pilsner...both brewed at Lakeport Brewery....a couple blocks from their football stadium.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

11w caravan!!!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

i'll have to take a run at it DaveyT

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

Let's be honest... no one really likes school. School is really I direct reflection on overall mentality and work ethic. Not to say you have to do well in school or you have a terrible work ethic, but those who at least put in the effort show their character. I am a big Cris Carter fan and really wanted to see Duron succeed too. But when so much is given to you and all you have to do is just NOT screw up and show a little effort, it is hard to feel bad or get behind him. I wish him well overall but to be honest have lost respect for Duron and Cris too a bit. Just say your kid was a lazy pot smoker but has re-focused and moved on... its better than "he hates school".

AndyVance's picture

Eh, I don't know if it's quite that simple. You may be right - that Carter is a lazy pot smoker - but "he hates school" is very true for some people. I did very well in school, but my Little Brother hated it. Absolutely detested it. He's now a full-time farmer and farm mechanic, and I can say with impunity that aside from my Dad, he's the hardest working man I know. So saying that someone "hated school" is codeword for them being a lazy bum isn't necessarily accurate, and in many cases you're pretty much dead wrong.

+4 HS
BAR43's picture

I stated that hating school doesnt mean your lazy... but hating school and not even putting in effort typical does mean you are. If you re-read you will see that I state hating is ok to some degree but to complete lack effort is not. There are a lot of things in life people hate to do, but are still necessary.

AndyVance's picture

School is really I direct reflection on overall mentality and work ethic.

Yes, you threw out something of a disclaimer in the next sentence, but the implication is that if you don't like school, it somehow reflects on your work ethic. That may not be what you intended - that's just how I read it the first pass. Thanks for clarifying your point.

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

understood. That was not my intent. Was more pointing to.. if you dont like it and stil dont put effort, it shows character or lack there of. We all have aspects of our lives we dont like to do, but we still need to in order to be successful.

-1 HS
cdub4's picture

I am not sure if a college education is needed to be successful in sports though.

-1 HS
daveyt11's picture

My nephew was the same...ended up joining the air force is now a jet engine mechanic...worked hard just didn't like the classroom setting.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Well said, Andy. My older brother is similar to your brother. He went to college for a quarter before dropping out. He didn't do well in high school either. He hated it. It wasn't because he was worthless or anything; he just hated it. Without a degree, he's now a VP of sales and operations for his company. It's a matter of working hard to get there and our brothers both did that.

That, though, may have been Duron's problem as he wasn't a hard worker either. He was coddled then and seemingly still coddled. I hope he has turned a corner in terms of his work ethic, but Cris certainly needs to stop making excuses for his son.

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

I suppose it's hard to be a famous NFL star turned media star and have your kid wash out of the NCAA because he can't get his act together. Probably pretty tough to go on the record as saying, "Yeah, he's a real screw up." But I agree that the excuse-making isn't a good look. C'mon man, indeed.

BAR43's picture

I dont doubt its hard to be in that spotlight and people expect your kid to follow in the same footsteps. The more diffucult part is, Duron showed great potential to do just that. I am a new father so I have not yet got to the point where you try to teach you kid right, but it is still up to them whether they do it or not. However there is nothing wrong with saying when your kid screwed up, we have all done it, and I am sure my parents have said it of me plenty of times. Its how they respond after the fact that is really important.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

my favorite part is cris carter claiming duron has a 130 iq. if he had a 130 iq he could've walked through osu's football coursework.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

BAR43's picture

Exactly. Duron having an IQ of 130 doesn't support his intelligence claim... actually shows the opposite. Not to mention it would futher show how lazy his son was. D1 athletes have it pretty easy and basically have to show up for class and that is it. Now if you truly are intelligent and D1 athlete, then you basically have to try to fail out of school.

niblick's picture

I have a 140 IQ, and I can tell you that you're partly correct.  If you actually go to class and listen, then yes you can walk through the classes.  if you fail to go to class, which i was guilty of from time to time, you're screwed just like the average person.  I would imagine that was Duron's problem, just simply not going to class.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

...if you fail to go to class, which i was guilty of from time to time, you're screwed...

Just reminded me of my sophomore year in college. Too many late nights, too many drinks...

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+2 HS
daveyt11's picture

That was freshman year for me LOL...Thanks to my dad for setting me straight.

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

Exactly... so the easiest part of school.. waking up and walking to a class, was to difficult for Duron. I admit I did the same thing freshman year in college and can say i was lazy plain and simple.

-1 HS
logamaniac's picture

Except it's psychological for someone like duron, if what his father said is true. If you hate something you tend to avoid it plain and simple. I hate asparagus and I don't think I've had it in 25 years. 

-1 HS
yrro's picture

Can confirm. Nearly lost my National Merit scholarship (ie, full ride academics) because I barely went to a single math or science class my freshman year. You can be pretty smart and still do really dumb shit.

I thing how easy things were made it easier to blow off, because it made it all seem pointless.

cdub4's picture

An IQ of 130 does show intelligence. I was not a D1 athlete but I was considered intelligent growing up. I did excellent on the SAT, ACT, standardized tests, usually 95th percentile or so, took AP classes, and tested out of classes entering OSU. I also had to go to summer school to pass the 8th grade, almost flunked the 12 th grade and got kicked out of OSU my first stint for having a .66 gpa. Freshman forgiveness was my friend. Yet I could help fellow OSU students at the time with physics and chemistry work from the stuff I learned in high school. You can't put everyone in a box.

I hated school, hated reading books, but I loved sports, could read about sports, practice and play all day everyday. Love sports, hated schoolwork.

To be fair, I didnt go to class and didn't do homework, I also found out later I have ADHD, so sitting still and listening to lectures or writing papers is like nails is like torture, physical labor, being active, working out, practicing for a sport is fun to me.

+2 HS
Codeezy's picture

I was going to write my story, but instead I'll just say "ditto" to yours. I didn't know I had a long lost twin!

buckeyedexter's picture

School isn't for everyone and a lot of very successful people don't have college degrees.  If the NFL had it's own farm teams kids who don't want to be in college wouldn't feel forced to go.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

There's a load of players in the NFL that didn't go the college route or complete it, next time you watch a Sunday night or Monday night game when they introduce players check out how many tout their HS and not a college. You would be surprised. 

Unky Buck's picture

They're not saying their high school teams because that's where their schooling ended and then they waited 3 years to go to the NFL. They're saying the name of the high schools because they want to give recognition to that district, are disenchanted with the college they attended and choose not to promote them, or whatever other reason it may be. It's certainly not because they didn't go to college.

Not playing football (or any collegiate sport really) for 3 years would absolutely kill any chance they had in trying to make the NFL. There would be no film for scouts to study to determine the strengths and weaknesses of said players. It is true there are some guys who didn't play football (Antonio Gates, who was a basketball player, comes to mind) but they were athletes playing a sport through college and it helped prepare them for the NFL.

logamaniac's picture

I said college route or complete it. 

Unky Buck's picture

didn't go the college route or complete it

I'm failing to understand what you mean by college route then. You were using the criteria for touting a high school over a college as if they either didn't go to college or dropped out but still went onto the pros. I'm not quite sure then what you're connecting with those. Touting a high school has no correlation as to what they did with their collegiate career.

logamaniac's picture

I'm saying there are players that go to college and don't complete it, not because they entered the draft early but because it wasn't for them or they had other reasons for not completing.  You also don't have to go to college to get into the League as the linebacker that was recently in the news for getting a couple tryouts after having been sent to prison on the false accusation of the woman he had consensual sex with.  There was also a signing of a player from the Army that wasn't allowed to play college ball because he allegedly played in a "pay league" while serving overseas.  Im saying that while rare its not a requirement for an athlete to complete college in order to play in the NFL, and if you can't understand my point after I have gone more in-depth than I wanted to then may god have mercy on your soul.  Just in case I will throw in an example Stephen Neal, a starting guard for the Patriots, didn't play any college football.