Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

heisman trophy

Buckeyesonthateasternswing's picture
May 17, 2014 at 12:02am
31 Comments

who do you guys think the heisman front runner is this season? is braxton miller in the mix?

TheVictoryBell45's picture

Braxton is definately in the mix. In my opinion, Marcus Mariotta is the pre season favorite and has a great chance at winning it if he can stay healthy. Hopefully Braxton can have a huge senior season and take it home. 

+1 HS
osu407's picture

In my opinion, the good thing for Braxton's chances are that Mariotta's campaign fell apart last year (and likely will again) with one bad game which led to a loss the same way that Braxton would be knocked out with one bad game.  This is opposed to Johnny Manziel who got to lose games but still win the Heisman.  In other words, though a competitor or two from the SEC will definitely arise, Mariotta as a leader may be easier to eventually surpass because it only takes one game.

Deadly Nuts's picture

Braxton will win if he does it big den.

LEBRON

lwitters's picture

Braxton should definitely at least get a trip to New York if the o line comes together.

otrain2416's picture

Jammie Jammie-Jammie THE Ohio State University

+7 HS
nikolajz1's picture

My guess of who is invited to NYC next December: Winston, Mariota, Miller, Gurley, and Hundley with Mariota winning it. 

allinosu's picture

Needs to play every game.

Buckeye5000's picture

I have no idea who will win the Heisman this year. Who would have predicted Manzell or Winston would have won the last 2 years. When health RB Todd Gurley of Georgia was the best college football player I saw last year. If he can remain healthy Gurley has a solid shot to take it home. I hope not though because I can't stand the $EC, and it would just give more ammunition for EsPIN to spew their biased and useless drivel.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
jonping67's picture

The Ohio States offensive line turns out to be fantastic, anchor by Taylor Decker, Alabama transfer Chad Lindsay and true freshman Demetrius Knox. These three offensive lineman help lead the way for 2014 Heisman Trophy winner "Ezekiel Elliott"!

Elliot rush for 2073 yards and 24 touchdowns while hauling in another 271 yards receiving and 6 more touchdowns.

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

That's a bold prediction right there...and I wouldn't mind seeing that come to fruition.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I love the prediction, I just cannot see a running back winning the Heisman trophy in Meyer's offense. If it was going to happen I think Hyde would have been the front runner. I think there will just be too many touches going around to help a single back put up those kinds of numbers. The QB is a different story IMO..  This scenario reminds me of LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner.  I could see EZE putting up pretty sweet numbers, but I can also see one of our other RB's taking a bite out of that production.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

jonping67's picture

The Ohio States offensive line turns out to be fantastic, anchor by Taylor Decker, Alabama transfer Chad Lindsay and true freshman Demetrius Knox. These three offensive lineman help lead the way for 2014 Heisman Trophy winner "Ezekiel Elliott"!

Elliot rush for 2073 yards and 24 touchdowns while hauling in another 271 yards receiving and 6 more touchdowns.

-1 HS
jonping67's picture

SilverState's picture

If you happen to be right, we will certainly have enough proof. :P

+4 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

Wow! 4 posts huh? You must be really confident in your prediction. I'm glad you have such confidence in the O-line and Zeke. I wish I could share your optimism. I sure hope you are right.

Go Bucks!

BroJim's picture

I'll wait for October.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

For Brax to get an invite he needs to increase the plays with his arm (more games like Wisky and Penn St last year), be more of a distributor and stay healthy.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

If they stay healthy, Mariota and Braxton are shoe-ins for the trip to NYC.  The wild card in the race next year is how Winston handles the spotlight.  Hr's got the talent to win back-to-back trophies, but voters will be reluctant to give him such an honor if he keeps stealing crab legs.

btw, I don't think he "stole" those crab legs at all. It looked to me like he was picking them up, as if they had been left out for him, and he understood they were "on the house" so to speak.  Security guard probably didn't get the memo on which FSU players shopped there for free.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Vegas Odds:

Jameis Winston (QB Florida State) 5/2
Marcus Mariota (QB Oregon) 5/1
Braxton Miller (QB Ohio State) 11/2
Bryce Petty (QB Baylor) 10/1
Todd Gurley (RB Georgia) 12/1
Brett Hundley (QB UCLA) 14/1
Everett Golson (Notre Dame) 14/1
T.J. Yeldon (RB Alabama) 14/1
Melvin Gordon (RB Wisconsin) 18/1
Mike Davis (RB South Carolina) 18/1
Connor Cook (QB Michigan State) 25/1
Nick Marshall (QB Auburn) 25/1
Trevor Knight (QB Oklahoma) 25/1
Ameer Abdullah (RB Nebraska) 28/1
Derrick Henry (RB Alabama) 28/1
Sean Mannion (QB Oregon State) 28/1
Taylor Kelly (QB Arizona State) 28/1
Dak Prescott (QB Mississippi State) 33/1
Duke Johnson (RB Miami) 33/1
Karlos Williams (RB Florida State) 33/1
Myles Jack (LB UCLA) 33/1
Matt Johnson (QB Bowling Green) 66/1
Rakeem Cato (QB Marshall) 66/1

Seattle Linga's picture

Did you purposely leave out the September Heisman winners from TTUN?

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

How does T.J. Yeldon get more love than Gurley?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

I like Brionte Dunn, he is awesome guys

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

If UCLA has a big year, and Myles Jack puts up decent numbers, he's gonna get some love. Gotta love's Brax's chances, but we have said that three straight years. Honestly, Winston and Mariota will put up monster numbers, and Brax will have to do the same, AND remain undefeated to have a chance to win. And I agree, when healthy, Gurley is the best offensive player in the country.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Myles Jack is an absolute stud. Not sure if they plan on keeping him at Linebacker. He has an NFL future there, and lets face it, NFL Runningback in this current generation just isn't high priority. The days of the feature back are going away sadly. If I remember correctly I think Jack said himself he would prefer to stay at Linebacker and believes he has more potential there, but he is happy to help his team any way he can... something around those lines. He would have to have a Te'o type season minus the fake GF, and UCLA would have to pretty much run the table.... Which isn't impossible.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Mike Thomas

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

If Dontre can live up to the H-back role, I could eventually see him heading to NY.

+1 HS

I think Winston, Mariotta, and Braxton are top 3 preseason.  I would say Petty, Hundley and my sleeper would be Trevor Knight wouldn't be far behind.

my next question was actually going to ask who the front runner was. I agree with Marcus and Jameis but what do you guys think about golson? the quarterback from Notre Dame?