Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Eli Apple

ilovethebuckeyes's picture
May 11, 2014 at 3:35pm
20 Comments

here is a fun fact about myself, i actually went to high school with Eli Apple so i might be biased when i say this but i feel like he will be the top cornerback on this Ohio State defense next year. thoughts? opinions? it was pretty cool watching him play for $5 every friday night.

KBonay's picture

You should have some good off-the-field stories about Eli. Fill us in on how he was in high school. Seems like a pretty quiet, respectful kid.  How about his folks? 

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I think Eli could be a really big, physical, and aggressive cornerback who will really help us against elite WRs.

+1 HS

i agree he is very strong and quick.

O H I O

-1 HS
ITWASME's picture

I actually went to Cherokee for a year before I moved back to Ohio and realized I could have watched him play and never did because I didn't know at the time

BuckeyeinSavannah's picture

I live about 20 minutes from where Raekwon McMillan is from and I never made it down to see him play. Still kicking myself in the butt about that.

+1 HS

You're better then that man 

O H I O

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Too bad about missing Raekwon - think how cheap those high school tix were. Also - pure man-child versus kids

no way thats crazy you went to cherokee!! and KBonay he was very quiet, I am two years older then him so i didnt hear much about him, just heard how he was very good at football. he stayed out of trouble so sorry, dont have any great stories =(

O H I O

-2 HS
otrain2416's picture

I think he could work his way to being the 2nd best corner on the team, but I just don't see anyone on our roster surpassing Doran Grant this season. I'm routing for this kid. Comes from a very good family and seems like he's got his head on straight.  

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Using press man is going to help him tremendously. His lack top end speed would have kept him buried on the depth chart playing off man or mostly zone. Now we are playing the exact Defense he was built to play and should benefit nicely.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Rocket Man's picture

Saw the spring game last year and the man seemed to always be in the right place at the right time and made a lot of good plays.  I know the spring game doesn't count for much, but he stood out.

The bowl games are only supposed to be a fun reward.
Woody Hayes

+2 HS

Which is why he's our top cornerback this year 

O H I O

+2 HS
Stellar's picture

I don't mean to be a downer but Eli Apple is not our top cornerback right now.  He's more like #4 - behind Doran Grant, Armani Reeves, and Gareon Conley.  If Apple can rise up past those guys on the depth chart then more power to him, but he's not there yet.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

I think he meant that Apple will be our #1 cornerback this year once the season begins but I could be wrong. 

TheVictoryBell45's picture

The summer workouts will be very important for him. He needs to continue to get stronger. Its noticable that he has gotten much stronger since he arrived. If he can do that and get coached up on how to use his hands in press man then sky is the limit. 

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I think most of spring Gareon Connely was our CB opposite Doran Grant. Armani was next and a nickel DB then Eli Apple.

After spring practice and game it was evident that at present Eli Apple will be the starter going into fall.

The scheme , it's simplicity and our talent and depth has me excited about our pass defense this year!

Cornerback U should start pumping lots of DB's into the NFL in the future thanks to Chris Ash who is running the DB's this year.

Go Bucks!!!

"The Past Builds the Future"

Groveport Heisman's picture

Conley,Apple,and Burrows are the perfect CB's to play press man. I know Burrows has been playing safety but when Vonn Bell gets back he could shift down to nickel. It great to see us play what coach Coombs does best and also matches the talent perfectly. I'm excited.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

ihatemichigan's picture

apple could one day be the best defensive back on this ohio state defense

"O-H-I-O"

BassDropper's picture

Damn! All of 3 of your (known) alias' are posting in this thread. Welcome back.

And if your going to tell me that "IHateMichigan" and "ILoveTheBuckeyes" are 2 different people that would be strange considering how long 11w has been going and those 2 usernames are just now getting picked.

DIRECTIONER

Groveport Heisman's picture

There definitely is a resemblance in their screen names,signature,and professed love for Eli Apple. Beyond that I don't see any harm in whatever "he,she,or they" are doing.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.