Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

New Turf

TheVictoryBell45's picture
May 2, 2014 at 6:20pm
33 Comments

I hope that the new turf being installed for this season is different than the turf we've had since 2007. It looks terrible. Nothing like real grass and the bright red endzones with white letters outlined in black are atrocious. How do the decision makers not see it? The new turf should look as close to real grass as possible and the letters in the endzone should be grey and in my opinion they should be green not bright scarlet. All in favor?

otrain2416's picture

I honestly don't see them changing it that much if at all.

FROMTHE18's picture

Ive grown to like the way our field looks. Grassy-turf/Rubber crumb looks as close as you are going to get to natural grass and I like the scarlet block 'O' as opposed to the gray one. The field really pops, especially at night: 

+12 HS

I'm fine with keeping the bright scarlet endzones if they would make the letters in the endzone grey. It would look so much better than the white letters outlined in black. The block O at the 50 needs to be outlined in grey also. Scarlet & Grey is such a great color combo and its nowhere to be seen on the turf!

+4 HS
dancorona5's picture

well, the field is surrounded by grey concrete...so thats something....

+3 HS
buckeyejma's picture

The field at the Shoe is very much radiant and kept in fantastic shape, the grounds crew do a wonderful job keeping the field in showcase condition and very presentable for local,regional, or national exposure. OH-!

Step aside Nick, Urban is the real rock star!

+1 HS
BHT's picture

-IO.

Agreed; field always looks good until a Cincinnati Bearcat comes in and messes with it (the December incident).

BoFuquel's picture

I like scarlet anywhere anytime. Just as long as it brings home a years supply of Dr. Pepper from Jerry World. That's all I care about. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Still trying to find out why they call a football stadium 'Jerry's World'.... Just wait until Penn State plays there.

LEBRON

I'm not a fan of playing lacrosse games or high school games at The Shoe. That is sacred ground and should be reserved for The Buckeyes. 

-7 HS
BroJim's picture

But it means so much to those kids and it is something that they will never forget.

I season my simple food with hunger

+5 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The Ohio State Lacrosse team ARE Buckeyes.

+7 HS
BroJim's picture

You're right, they are Buckeyes!

I season my simple food with hunger

MassiveAttack's picture

High school football in The Shoe helps recruiting. 

When we had ASTROTurf anyone could come in the stadium and run the track, stairs or hang out on the field. 

When they brought natural grass in, fences and restricted access happened.  Also the field was so fragile that only the football team would play on it.  That means that 6-7 times per year Ohio Stadium was being used, plus special events That is a waste of resources. (I got to run in the stadium for High School State Championships.) 

When the Field was lowered and the FieldTurf was installed, the stadium suddenly had way more uses, including OSU Lacrosse games and High School Football special events.

Don't be so selfish.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Turf nowadays is so different then just a few years ago - It is so much safer than ever before.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I have to admit, I miss real grass at the Shoe.  That said, since they aren't going to change it, the new turf drains better and allows for less wear and tear.  Also, its pretty damn close to real grass - ever been on it?

Finally, when does Scarlet ever look bad against a background of Gray?

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
Gray Box's picture

The new turf is on the way! Removal started yesterday and was nearly complete by end of today.

+4 HS
Gray Box's picture
+1 HS

It looks great so far. Now just make the letters in the endzone grey instead of white outlined in black. Also outline the scarlet Block O with grey instead of black. 

AkronBuckeye13's picture

Wow, between the #gobucks in the endzone and the @OhioStAthletics on the sideline OSU went a bit crazy with the Twitter advertising.

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture
+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Continuing the homage to Wisconsin.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture
actionstanleyjackson's picture

Wish they would go to green endzones, gray OHIO STATE outlined in scarlet....the same set up they had with real grass

Endzones are an eyesore during day games and look too much like Wisconsin. At the least go with gray OHIO STATE outlined in white against the scarlet endzones.

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

-1 HS

^^ I 100% percent agree with this. Unfortunately the endzones are going to look exactly the same. The decision makers at Ohio State are very suspect in my opinion. Gene Smith is the worst AD i could ever imagine. On a bright note, the turf appears to look closer to real grass now. The old turf had the different shades of green every 5 yards which looked HORRIBLE. 

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

So, despite multiple national titles in non-revenue sports and landing Urban F*cking Meyer as the football coach, you think Gene Smith is the worst AD ever because he wants a scarlet end zone and you want a gray one?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS

We would have to start a new thread to discuss all the reasons I think Gene Smith is a terrible Athletic Director. I'd rather not get started on it. He is awful. 

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Gene Smith is a clown and I thought that was pretty well known.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

What has he done that overshadows the overall growth of the athletic department? We've won a ton of B1G titles in numerous sports since he took over. He hired the new women's basketball coach who has done a great job. He's secured funding for massive upgrades to the basketball practice facilities and now the WHAC. And, of course, he got us Urban Meyer.

Why do so many people loathe Gene Smith? Serious question. Is it because of Tatgate? Because he complied with the NCAA investigation? I'd rather have an honest athletic director than an unethical jerk like Auburn's AD. Do people hate him for the new football turf? Because that's actually part of a university-wide branding initiative that emphasizes scarlet as our primary color. It's not just the athletic department.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Hahaha you think Gene Smith is "honest"?

You're not too bright there, son.

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Compared to a lot of SEC athletic programs, yes. And I think he's done a lot of good for the athletic department as a whole. He hired Urban, he's improved pretty much all of the athletic facilities (some more than others, i.e. the WHAC and Schott), and we seemingly always win one or two national titles in non-revenue sports every year. That's very impressive, and he's overseen that.

But hey, if you want to provide actual reasons behind your claim other than "Hurr durr ur stoopid," go ahead.

-2 HS
Kjetland's picture

Is it me or do the numbers look different?

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I though our colors were scarlet and GRAY, not white!

That's boring Wisconsin and IU. Utilize the rare secondary gray, dolts in the athletic department!!!!

-1 HS

Gene Smith could go a long way in improving his rapport with Buckeye Nation by learning the school colors. Scarlet & GREY. Our regular home game jerseys look horrible with the white and black sleeve stripes. We had the best uniform in college football before 2006 when they sold out to Nike and changed the unis. On top of that, he changed the entire field design to accommodate these new jerseys. The letters in the endzone have to be grey. We aren't Nebraska, Indiana, Wisconsin or Georgia. 

-1 HS