Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

IF YOU HAD YOUR FIRST CHANCE EVER TO SEE A GAME IN OHIO STADIUM IN 2014, WHICH WOULD YOU ATTEND?

CGroverL's picture
May 1, 2014 at 10:51am
53 Comments

I'm 41 years old, have a wife that is 49, and a son that is 30 with disabilities (Down's Syndrome and pacemaker), and I recently lost my mother. I was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1973 but have always bled scarlet and gray for as long as I can remember. I'd like to see the Buckeyes play this season with my family. Act like you are me, and listen to my story...then please give me your honest suggestion of what you would do if you were me.

I live in Florida, and will be driving to Columbus (the game doesn't necessarily have to be a home game, but I do want to experience Buckeye Nation at its best). Now, I realize that most of you will just say "SEE M*CH*GAN". However, I'd rather see this game earlier than later unless seeing TTUN in the 'Shoe is really the way to go. I really don't care which game I go to, but with my short amount of knowledge, I wouldn't even know where to buy tickets....which I would like to spend $500/each or less on (honestly though, I'm not really looking for great seats as getting ketchup spilled on my hat on accident from the guy above me would make my scream "Go Buckeyes" and possibly would make me feel as if I'm part of the Nation...that is more important to me than great seats, but I would like for my son who is 5'4" to see the game as well as possible). I've been to just 3 college football games in my life and those games were all in Orlando's Florida Citrus Bowl and featured Mississippi State/Florida, Virginia Tech/Florida State, and the Citrus Bowl game between Clemson/California....all of those games were in 1991/1992, when I was 18 years old. I wasn't even old enough to drink yet.

So...if you can take all of the info that I have given and then suggest which game to attend whether your reason be saving $1,000, being at a day game or a night game, or any other reasons, even if they are petty reasons to you...I'd like to hear it all. If you think I should try to get tickets to Navy and miss the 'Shoe completely for some reason, please tell me. All responses will be read and taken seriously.

If it matters....What happened is this: I lost my Mom on April 5th. She always wanted me to be able to see my beloved Buckeyes play...but I was last in Columbus when I went to the zoo at age 4 and I want to have the time that I missed from NOT living in Ohio and NEVER having the money to plan this kind of thing. Please help me out from pre-game things to do the night before (if things like that exist?) to game day rituals that might include running down Woody Hayes Dr. naked at 8 a.m. If your ride to and from the game was taken care of already (I'm driving from Daytona Beach, Florida) and you had around $3,500 to spend on the game alone (I don't have to spend it all, I'm just giving you a budget of sorts), which means that I DON'T WANT to spend that all on the game as I'd like to buy my family and I some souvenirs and eat breakfast with the staff of 11W (if something like that was available)........My point is just that I would like someone to map out a night and day in Columbus including a Buckeye game, THE WAY THAT THEY WOULD DO IT...if they could do it on around $4,000 and make it unforgettable. If someone from 11W does help me out with this and all seems kosher...I promise to make a REAL donation to 11W, the best Buckeye site on the planet (if a few hundred dollars is considered a decent amount for you guys to be my personal tour guides without actually taking me anywhere).

Thank you, 11W. I appreciate it and consider it a privilege to be a part of the Nation. I realize that this isn't the best place for this, but I trust Buckeye Nation like I trust family and we can only talk about the Navy game and the Midshipmen with their "flexbone" offensive attack so much, right? This is my first blog, too, SO PLEASE CUT ME A LITTLE SLACK for being someone that gets paid for sticking their hands in SEC fan's toilets for a living. Thanks. Go Buckeyes!

FROMTHE18's picture

Wow, good question. Any of the night games or Michigan. I think the easy answer is Michigan and it'd be difficult to argue against that. But I definitely think night games in the shoe are pretty damn awesome. 

+3 HS
CGroverL's picture

I figure that is what most people will say along with "Get your tickets early". I really did want to do this earlier in the year rather than later in the year, but that really isn't an issue. I appreciate your help and will be checking this often as I want to make my plans as soon as possible. So...if you can think of things to do the night before the game and other crazy fan things to do, don't let me being 40 make you think I'm old. This is like a dream come true for me and Mom told me that she set aside $7,500 so money shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone that really wants to be elbow to elbow with fellow Buckeye fans as our Bucks thrash any team. Thanks and Go Buckeyes!!!

"I hope they're last in everything"

Thanks, Urb!

+1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

I think Virginia Tech stands to be the best atmosphere, unless Michigan is a night game.  Also, it will be warm when they play VT.

+5 HS
CGroverL's picture

So far, it seems that a "night game is the way to go"....Does anyone disagree? Being that I'm old, I'm so used to games at the Horseshoe being DAY GAMES. The Night Game is really the way to go then? If it is, what kind of cool things am I to do on game day? What does Buckeye Nation do all day? Chicken wings and beer? I'll hit Skyline Chili the night before (Mom made me promise) but what do I do during game day when the game is at night? Is there some kind of bar that the kids hang out at on game days? I'm a drinker, I love college football, and I want this to be perfect. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Urb!

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Several bars/ restaurants on High Street or Lane Avenue.  More of a tail gate atmosphere on Lane Avenue (such as at Varsity Club) during game days.  Specific places: Eddie George's Grill, Chumley's, Out r' Inn, The Little Bar, Varsity Club, Thirsty Scholar, and Buckeye Donuts are all on Lane or High within 3/4 mile from the stadium.  I haven't been back to Columbus in about a year and a half (2012 _ichigan Game), so things may have changed.

Also, I would choose the Cincinnati game.  There isn't a connection between OSU and Va Tech, but there is the in-state/ little brother rivalry with Cincy.  

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

My last name is Lane and you send me to Lane and High??? I'll bring my best Mexican product that is actually medicinal and comes from California and Oregon (I said medicinal, not legal). Lane and High should be easy to remember anyway. Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions. My check should arrive in 1 to 4 days...I will be making my final decision then as I'm afraid that if I don't make my moves quick, I might have a seating issue plus a procrastination issue.

I had the Cincinnati game in my head the whole time, but I'm scared of Cincinnati, sort of. While on my way to St. Louis 10 years ago to see the Cardinals/Dodgers baseball game (what really happened was Florida kept getting hit with hurricanes and I decided to take my family on a road trip to avoid hurricane catastrophes), I was running out of gas and couldn't find a gas station anywhere around the University of Cincinnati. Finally, I found one, but while getting gas, I felt like the Griswolds when they make the wrong turn and end up in East St. Louis. When we pulled in, the car was immediately surrounded and I was reminded of National Lampoon's Vacation (For the second time in this blog). If my car had hub caps, they surely would have been stolen, and I'm lucky that "Honky Lips" wasn't painted on the side of the car. I may still choose the Cincy game because of the added craziness, but I'll just avoid their city on my way to Dayton and Columbus.

This plays no part in which game I'll go see, of course...but it may make me leave I-75 early or take the scenic route up I-95 the entire way. Thanks for all of your help. I figured there would be a bit more people saying to go to see Cincy at the 'Shoe. I think that most people are just marking that up as a big win already. Cincinnati is good one out of every 4 to 5 years, though. Thanks for your interest, I appreciate your time and help.

Thanks, Urb!

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Cincinnati (especially downtown on the banks of the river, and in Over-the-Rhine) has undergone a drastic change for the much better in the last five years or so.  I think it is worth checking out if you stop in and not necessary to skip on the way to Columbus.  The riots from 13 years ago are well in the past.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

CGroverL's picture

Another anti-Cincinnati comment that I'd like to make is this, and it has absolutely nothing to do with which game I'll be seeing in Columbus this season: In 1999 I made a trip to see family in Dayton as my father had become very ill (I lost Mom at age 59 and Dad at age 46, both of "natural causes"). I went to a sports bar in Dayton, watched the Buckeyes (who most probably had the nation's best team that year, but Nick Saban's "little brother" squad from East Lansing ruined all of that with one upset in the 'Shoe) beat up on M*ch*gan, and then watched my Dad pass 4 days later. Anyway....my "family" (I put it in quotes because my family is filled with members of 1% biker gangs, and the family business is poorly thought out organized crime) thought that I should get out and have some fun on what was to be a few days before my Dad passed and they agreed to take me to what was called Dayton's Oregon District. Since I had been to just Ohio just twice for a total of 4 days since I left Dayton in 1980, I had no idea what I was in for. We went for a few drinks in the "Oregon District" and then headed for what was supposed to be "more fun" in Cincinnati. I walked into what looked like a nice bar in an older building, got 2 steps in, and was promptly punched OUT the front doors. Not kidding. I "looked like" someone that this guy happened to be waiting on and came to with a $10 bill in my pocket and a bartender telling me that my next 2 beers were on the guy that had hit me. One problem....I was alone as my "family" all went to jail after taking care of the incident in their own way. So...these days, I will do anything possible to avoid Cincinnati.

If there is a funny side to this, I guess that it would be that my cousins that took me on this great adventure spent 4 hours in a "drunk tank" and then were promptly released. I must have been out for an hour though because most of the people didn't know what even happened and the police didn't even want me for questioning. Oh...and Cincinnati hotties must have it out for Florida boys. I don't know the name of the bar. I don't really know what happened, but I had the time of my life afterwards as the 3 Cincy girls that "took care of me", I'll never forget. Their names were Sarah, Jen, and Cindy (I'm not sure about the spellings but I'll never forget their names) and my family was very upset to not be able to find me as the girls felt obligated to introduce me to people at the house party they took me to. I've said enough except this....Florida girls SUCK and Ohio girls ROCK. I'm probably not as appealing at married to a 49 year old and being 41 years old, but hey...Dad did always tell me that Florida girls were snobs. He was never into college football and was born in West Virginia though...so I'm guessing that he may not have been the best person to take advice from.

Thanks for reading my dumb but 100% true story....Becoming a Christian really does make it where you aren't afraid to tell the embarrassing truth about yourself. I've always been a Christian and we all make mistakes. I'm very happy to be a Christian and I'm also very happy that I was born in the great state of Ohio. Being a Buckeye in that sense is the only tie that I have to Buckeye Nation. One great thing about my trip to Ohio in 2014 is this: When I think of Dayton, I think of how murderous and overall how dangerous the city is. Even in 2010, Dayton was ranked #20 when it comes to the nation's most dangerous places (Cleveland was ranked #7 and Cincinnati was at #24). Growing up in Dayton was why my parents moved our family to Orlando, Florida in 1980. In my return trips to Dayton, I have memories of shut down factories and old houses that seem to be on their last leg. This once great city seems to be falling apart in nearly every way.

However, when I hear of Columbus, I hear to forget Dayton totally. My past makes me not even want to take my family to see where my Mother and I are from. I am very proud, but I bleed Scarlet and Gray...My beloved Buckeyes are what I have from Ohio. I can't wait to be in Columbus, with my real family...Buckeye Nation.....Thanks for all of your help and please keep your ideas coming. My trip to Columbus will be awesome, especially the memories that my family and I take away with us. In the end, my family will owe you members of 11W, Buckeye Nation, and Eleven Warriors. My family and I thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. My wife will be 50 and I will still be 41 when I make my assault on the fine city of Columbus. I'd love to meet some of you when I get there as well, so don't be afraid of us old folks. You are all family to us. Go Buckeyes!!!!!

Thanks, Urb!

+1 HS
HattanBuck85's picture

I will be back in C-Bus attending the VaTech game this year. Outside of M!chigan, the Va Tech game is the game I wanted to see the most. It's a NIGHT game! I have never been to a night game. The atmosphere is going to be off the hook!!! You should definitely go to the VaTech game. As a former Californian, I will help you with your Mexican product if you come down to the game. Always willing to help a brotha out! :)

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

Buckeye06's picture

I guess as of right now, V.T. is the "safest" pick, in that it is guaranteed at night, and OSU will be highly ranked likely. 

When I read the post, the first game that popped in was of course Scum, but then I thought about it a bit more.  If you have never attended a game before, you may not feel the difference in the atmosphere for the Michigan game anyway.  As I type this I get a tingly feeling about the difference in atmosphere going into that game.   It just has an absolute different feel with the history, rivalry, and passion both teams play with on that Saturday

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

I know the "different" feeling that you are talking about because I get it during the TV games. I do agree with you 100%. I would be happy at the 'Shoe playing against Georgia State, so M*ch*gan isn't a must. Of course I WANT to see The Game more than anything, but I must admit....One of the reasons that I'm trying to make this a game early in the season is because I may have the cake to make it to the M*ch*gan game as well, if I can get seats that late. Thanks.

Thanks, Urb!

Earle's picture

I would echo the VT suggestions:  warm weather, night game, decent opponent (no FL A&M).  Also gives you the full day to enjoy the game-day atmosphere vs. a noon start.

Italics are for emphasis.

+3 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Here are some thing to consider:

The best atmosphere with the most energy will be a night game and/or michigan

I'd recommend a game with a 3:30 or night time kickoff so you can best enjoy the tailgating atmosphere before the game as the crowd can be a little sluggish for the noon starts. To that end I'd certainly recommend hanging out around St John's with your family. The radio stations are there and there are tents and tables with games and things you can win that I'm sure your son would enjoy. It's also right outside the skull session. I'd suggest either going to the skull session or being right outside it where you can help form the tunnel of people that the band walks through then moments later that the players walk through. It's well within your capability to get a high five from Urban by doing this and it's very impressive to see all the players up close and personal just a couple hours before kickoff

In terms of getting a view for your son to be able to see. If the opportunity presents itself it would be hard to beat the view from the first row of B deck. First row of C deck would also allow him to see unimpeded.

I hope this helps, I'd be happy to discuss further

+2 HS
CGroverL's picture

Awesome advice. The best thing about this is how Buckeye Nation gets up for any game. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a game at the 'Shoe, unless Ohio State lost, of course. I'll check out where the first rows of both "B" and "C" Decks are....How much do those seats run? The only reason I ask is because I want to be lumped more in with the kids than spending a ton for something extravagant. I want to experience it like I'm a 21 year old kid. My son and him seeing the game is important though.....SO, THEN...I should go for the front rows of "B" or "C" deck. I just looked at the chart and agree that would be the best seats for us. Great advice. I truly thank you. Please don't stop with suggestions, though. I have a feeling that I'm going to be buying beers for a bunch of you guys that are helping me out. I plan on this being a 10 day long vacation and for once in my life, money will not be an option (to a point, of course....I'm poor, but Mom left me $30,000 and gave me strict instructions on spending $5,000 in Columbus) when it comes to buying some of Buckeye Nation a few beers. What sports bar do the kids hang out at in Columbus near the Stadium?

We have very few good sports bars here. I went to "The Purple Porpoise" in Gainesville that is just off campus and packs itself with Gator fans on game days. The game went into OT....The Gators were stopped and then Shaun Alexander (long time ago I know....I'm old) took the first carry of Alabama's OT drive 25 yards for a TD. Instantly, 15 bouncers that looked like an OL ran out and kicked everyone's ass because a fight broke out. I can say this for SEC football. They used to be civilized until they won 7 consecutive national titles....now they hug each other after games. Maybe I was a bit backwards when I used the "civilized" word?

Thanks, Urb!

The Rill Dill's picture

DON'T miss the 'Shoe experience by going to the Navy game!!  Regardless of game, make sure you are in your seats for the band's ramp entrance.  Also, do not miss Carmen Ohio (after the game).  I've been getting my tickets the night before the games on StubHub.  They are plenty cheap.  I got Michigan tickets and Orange Bowl tickets for less than $50.00. 

+2 HS
Buckeye.383's picture

I would also echo many of the other comments already made. I would also recommend going to the VT game because the atmosphere of a night game in the Shoe is like nothing else. It will also be warm which is always an added bonus in my opinion. Since I graduated a few years back I've tried to make it to at least one game a year and most years I choose a night game. As mentioned before it also gives you plenty of time to experience all of the pre-game activities happening around campus. Of course watching our Buckeyes beat TTUN is always special too, but I think a night game early in the season will make for an energized crowd and electric atmosphere. Tailgating around the Shoe and seeing the Skull Session are always great things to do especially for your first game. 

I also agree that the first row of the B deck or C deck along one of the sidelines would probably offer the best viewing experience. If you sit to low it can be difficult to see what's happening near the end zones. 

And of course make sure to stop by Buckeye Donuts while you're there!

Born, raised, educated, and will die a Buckeye ~ BuckeyeNation

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Go to a night game. They are always and will be the best atmosphere. Out of the three night home games I would go with Cincinatti or Virginia Tech. If it was me personally I would go see Virginia Tech.

+1 HS
MikeNugents BigToe's picture

1. Va Tech atmosphere will be through the rough for a pretty big out of conference game. Weather will be pretty nice early in the year too. I would echo earlier sentiments that 1st row of any of the B or C decks would fit into your budget pretty well with a view being a concern.

My pregame ritual (I've attended quite a few night games in my short time on this earth)

1. Breakfast at buckeye donuts 

2. For you, take a tour of campus, check out the sites, stop at the book store (for souvenirs) *find them cheaper off campus at a place like Conrads http://www.conrads.com/

3.  Hangout/tailgate/find a bar to grab a drink and lunch (outside the stadium, High St or Lane Ave cant go wrong)

-I'm a current college kid so my pre-game alcohol consumption takes place at off campus parties

4. Go to the Skull secession before the game to see the band entrance/brief team appearance. 

5. Hangout outside the stadium, find your seats for pre-game warm up

6. Watch the band entrance which is pretty f*cking amazing TBDITL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cti5ZqI06wM 

7. Watch the buckeyes kick the sh!t of Va Tech

8. Stay and sing Carmen Ohio with the Band post-game

9. Smile and walk your happy ass to Canes http://www.raisingcanes.com/ for some post-game chicken 

10. Respond to every O-H chant along the way 

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses but here's what I like to do

Enjoy every momenyt! Go bucks!

"Remember that 55 yarder against Marshall?" -Not Mike Nugent

+6 HS
CGroverL's picture

Thanks. You all have come up with a many great things to do. Can we just walk on campus? Sorry, but I've lived in Florida for 34 years and have been to Columbus just once...when I was 4 I went to the zoo. That's not a lie. You guys almost already have me going to the VA Tech game. Maybe I'll take it easy on my money and try to make it back for M*ch*gan. You guys have been great so far and I especially liked the way you laid a schedule out. That is what I was hoping some people would do, but I don't want to ask too much. Buckeye Nation is the biggest and best fan base for a reason. Go Buckeyes!

Thanks, Urb!

BuckToAsT's picture

Nostalgic tears are running down my face . . .

This was also my pre-game ritual . . . . 10 years ago!!!

+1 HS

Dad?! Just kidding. 

+3 HS
blocko330's picture

Have we hung out before?!? HELL of a game-day ritual. You had me at Buckeye Donuts, but then you throw out Canes and WUAH! You forgot to mention though he may be waiting in line for an hour :)

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+1 HS

I did forget to mention the wait, and to sub your side out for extra toast. I'm also from the 330 as your name suggests? So maybe. 

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

This is correct Sir - YTown

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

Not a problem at all, And yes, f you wanted to take a stroll through campus shouldn't be a problem (some academic building may be closed). But go check out the fairly new student union on N. High St., The Oval aka Oval Beach (large greenry in center of campus), Thompson Library is pretty awesome, Mirror lake (not as big as you expect) if you wanted to see where the students jump before the TTUN game are some big highlights. Campus is HUGE though so wear some walking shoes, easier for most to walk everywhere after you've found parking because you can imagine how bad the traffic is pre-game. 

+1 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

Mirror Lake is currently nonexistent unfortunately.

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

labuck's picture

Some pretty good ideas above.  if youre looking for a restaurant for lunch or to hang out go to Eddie George's it will wet your college football appetite. 

As for tickets you may want to look into ADA seats at the shoe.  The ticket office should be able to help you locate where they are in the stadium and might be able to sell you some.  Unless you are in the front row of B-Deck it may be hard for your son to see the game.  The ADA seats should provide a nice view for you all to see the game.

HAVE FUN!!!

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

Wow - great question and I too am loving these comments.  I will continue to echo all of the "Night Game" suggestions.  I truly can not describe how insane the vibe is for night games - you (and your wife and son) will ABSOLUTELY get chills on multiple occasions, and it will have nothing to do with the temperature.  Like I read somewhere else just make sure you get there for pre-game so you don't miss TBDBITL.

I'll end with this (and I'm sure most would concur) - I've been to two Noon games Vs. M*ch*gan, a 3:30 game Vs. Penn State and Kent State and also got to go to the Orange Bowl last year.... and win or lose, well only loss was that damn orange bowl, the experience is one you will remember forever.

- TruthTeller

+1 HS
jonping67's picture

You can't beat an OSU vs. TTUN. The atmosphere is 2nd to none. However, Ohio Stadium at night is incredible. You can't go wrong with either one.

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

as a person who doesn't get to frequent games often, any game will be an amazing experience for you. just don't try to be on a schedule and rush around. take your time, soak it in and do some of the pre/post game stuff like Skull Session and Carmen.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

Thanks...I won't be like Clark W. Griswold and drive 2 hours out of the way to see the world's 2nd largest ball of mud. Skull Session and Carmen are 2 things I would never miss. I'm going to have to teach my son the words though as he makes up his own words...hahaha! He really does, or he sings the words AFTER they are sung and although we are not all professional singers, I'd hate it for Brad to not know any of the words. If he knows some of the words (he has seen Carmen, Script Ohio, the Mirror Lake jump and many other Ohio State students making tons of noise), it will mean the world to him that he sung Carmen...He will love it!!!! Would you or anyone else suggest showing up in Columbus on Friday DAY? I'm from the Orlando area with tons of tourist traps....but I really just want to "be one of the students without going to classes", ya know? I want to hang out at a Buckeye bar, buy some cool jerseys to wear to the game, and meet some of Columbus's finest. Do I need the extra day to see any Buckeye football places that are great for pics and stuff that are off-campus?

I'm not the "rush around" type. But I really want to soak in as much Buckeye Football History as I can...and I'd like to do it BEFORE I attend the game.

My son, Brad...he just asked what I was writing and I explained it to him and showed him where Buckeye Nation wanted me to pick seats where he would get to actually SEE the game from. He is my step-son, but I've been "Dad" for 12 years now. He just gave me a hug and it brought me to tears....

Thanks to Mom and all of you in Buckeye Nation that care enough about some people they don't even know. I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Urb!

+2 HS
TMac's picture

VaTech being a "premium" game means face value is up, but that could work for you in that there may be fewer people looking for those tickets, And you can get better seats? (idk)  If not VaTech - you have a similar home game with Cincinnati (which may have some added value with your Dayton heritage?) And starting at 6 p.m. it has both day game and night game feeling to it.  Out at 9:30 instead of 11:30.  Definately a Home game, and it's hard to beat a Night Game. The Game is on another level - but it will be pricewise too, is Thanksgiving weekend (if that matters) and of course I've been to several, so it's not a bucket list kind of thing.  I would go to the VaTech or UC games, have a blast, enjoy Cloumbus in September which is much different than November, and bring home a W!!  Go Bucks!

+1 HS
LexingtonBuckeye's picture

Your pilgrimage to go to a game this year has inspired me to do the same. Albeit a much closer trek for me, I too crave the Buckeye nation atmosphere.

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Go to whichever game is after Eat Too Brutus. It's a ton of fun, and pretty much everyone is doing it, and it's a great time. And you'll meet a bunch of awesome people there.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

I'm now wanting to see 2 games....so almost anything is possible if I take that route (it is probably just impossible). Why does 11W not advertise "Eat Too Brutus" and other things like that anymore. I disappeared from the internet entirely for a while some months back....Upon my return, everything had changed. Did I miss some piece of legislation or something that happened here at 11W? If you get a chance, try to explain your username and the pic that goes with it...if you can. There has to be a story behind it, right?

Thanks, Urb!

GoBucks713's picture

Eat Too won't be advertised until they have everything worked out. It's normally a couple weeks before the season starts. Maybe Jason or one of our other brothers can answer that question, but my gut tells me it is well into the works. I would guess since the night games were announced recently, the planning is in full on beast mode.

As far as the pic, it's of a scUM receiver doing his best to catch a ball, but like an idiot, he doesn't know its behind him.

The 713 is my birthday. I originally signed up for an account and forgot the password, and asked for a password reset and never got a response, so a few weeks later I decided to sign up for a new account instead, and I couldn't think of a new name so I just went with what you see today.

-The Aristocrats!

CGroverL's picture

I now can see the football. Great pic.

Thanks, Urb!

BassDropper's picture

Grover, trust me when I say this..the only game worth attending is the Michigan game. Nothing beats it. I go to 4 home games a year, and always the Michigan game whether it is home or away. You won't experience the same level of excitement at the Virginia Tech game, or any other game for that matter. 

You say you are a life long fan, how cool would it be to go to THE GAME as your first ever game. Last game of the regular season, a lot will be on the line. The Rivalry. Woody. Bo. Archie. Troy. Braxton. Urban.

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
CGroverL's picture

I know that you are speaking the truth. Nothing can possibly be better than THE GAME. Honestly, I can't believe so many people have responded to this. I am going to weigh everything and make my decision as quickly as possible. The only game I would consider besides VA Tech would be M*ch*gan but right now, do we know which games will be at what time? That will be a factor in my decision unless I choose to go to THE GAME, because that game needs no other reasons to go. Being THE GAME is enough. This almost makes me wish that we lived in Ohio. After all, I have been to the beach just 1 time in the last 20 years. I guess that you could say that I hate saltwater, sand, and sunlight when they are all put together. Thanks for your opinion. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Urb!

FROMTHE18's picture

the UC game will be fun. I wouldn't put it above VT on the list, but definitely get a chance to see the two fan bases deal with each other. For the most part, UC people hate OSU for being THE, and OSU fans find UC fans to be similar to an annoying little brother. The OSU/UC rivalry is pretty interesting, especially concerning fan bases in Ohio.

GoBucks713's picture

If UC hates us so much, then why in the hell does their Nippert Stadium look like a tiny Ohio Stadium?

-The Aristocrats!

CC's picture

Huh?  Nippert looks like a stadium being eaten by and concrete nest.  The shoe looks like heaven on earth.

GoBucks713's picture

Look at a shot from above. It's a small horseshoe. Telling you.

-The Aristocrats!

sivaDavis's picture

It's hard to argue going to The Game. Nothing beats it. Unless it's a night game, which it won't be, but that would be the only way to top it. I would definitely say if you're not looking to spend the bank, go to the Cincy game. I personally think it's going to be insane atmosphere and it will be a great game that won't be that expensive for tickets and also will let you go through Columbus, experience the greatness craziness of High St and all before kickoff without having to be up at 8 o clock to see everything. I'll be there tailgating with a couple friends of mine and our parents and will have more than enough food and drinks for you and the fam all day. If not the Cincy game I would def say VTech. If I were you though, keep saving and just make it for the UM game. Hopefully both teams are doing somewhat well at the end of the year, maybe with B1G title game implications and I promise you a once in a lifetime view of real college football. The greatest rivalry in all sports.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

Picking one game is a lot harder than it would ever seem. Nothing would ever top seeing THE GAME in the 'Shoe, though. Thanks.

Thanks, Urb!

CC's picture

1. If you're going to a game, go to the shoe, you owe it to yourself.  VT at night is perfect as stated above.  Out of conference games against legit big time programs are the best.  UM is good but it's often really cold and it's early so you hardly get the gameday experience.

2. I would suggest NOT doing the skull session.

Going to a game at the shoe is like trying to do New York in a weekend.  You can't do it all.

While the skull session is great you will end up being committed to it time / scheduling wise. If you watch the team and band enter the stadium (between st john arena and the rotunda of the shoe) you will get the affect with only putting 20 mins to it.  The most important thing IMO is getting the full experience by being there for script Ohio and the buildup at the beginning of the game.  There is nothing like it.

Get to your seats early.  Literally in your seats 30 minutes before kick.

I have been to lots of big football games at great locations around the country, the reason the Shoe is the best place in the universe is the build up and atmosphere.  The band comes in at exactly 20 minutes before the game DO NOT BE LATE.  That is the one thing you have to do and you will remember it for the rest of your life.

+1 HS
CC's picture

This is the pre-game from our seats at the USC game.  Remember get there early, notice the stadium is packed 20 minutes before the game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvwABhIm_eE

+2 HS
CGroverL's picture

If I was going to miss that stuff, I'd stay home and watch it on TV. I'm definitely buying a new phone/camera for this though. Watching that had me much more excited than watching Montee Ball getting stuffed at the line (trying to break the TD record) on BTN last night.

Thanks, Urb!

IH8UOFM's picture

Would upvote this 100 times if I could. Great vid.

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

My advice would be to skip any noon game for sure. Like other said 3;30 or night is best for atmosphere.  Honestly I really think the Cincy game with a 6pm kickoff will be good. Bearcat fans will be trash talking plenty, I think that game will be a great atmosphere. Late game v.s. UFM's school. Virginia Tech will be the best game next to Michigan. Illinois should be a snoozer, but any night game will have a great feel to it, so if you wanted to save a little cash that might not be a bad option. I'm excited for you, I think you will have a lot of fun. I would almost say go for 330 start time just to leave you a little hungry for more, but being so far from Columbus, I'd say go big man!

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Just a little heads up, but if you wait for the *ichigan game and we are undefeated or even a 1 loss team with a B1G title game and first CFP on the line the tickets are going to be unreal. In 2006 I was lucky enough to get a pair of tickets for $1500.00 bucks to watch #1 vs #2...I would imagine almost ten years later they could be significantly more. Not sure how having to play in a conference title game the week after would affect the pricing of *ichigan home game. I imagine the title game in Indy might be cheaper then the *ichigan game in the shoe.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

I will be attending my second game in the horse shoe against VaTech and would like to know where a nice place would be to stay the night and some parking information. I know its early, but some input would be awesome. Thanks!

Buckeye fan from PA

IH8UOFM's picture

I bought tickets to the OSU v. MSU game in East Lansing on November 8th. If they get valuable enough, I'm gonna sell em and try to make it to the UM game in the Shoe. I'd feel a little more at home since in Spartan Stadium my itinerary is :

-Dont get maimed

-Dont get lynched

-Dont get killed

-Dont get arrested