Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Franklin's Days at Penn State numbered?

NH-IO's picture
April 29, 2014 at 6:09pm
55 Comments

There are some pretty significant allegations in this story.  Contact with the victim (during a medical exam !?!), missing evidence, illegal recruiting practices....  Could get interesting.

FROMTHE18's picture

ill be shocked if anything comes of this. With the current manner in which the NCAA and college football programs deal with these types of situations these days theres more than a likely chance nothing happens.

+2 HS
jkleva's picture

Anything involving "sex" should cause State Penn University and it's administrators to run the other way and dump any and all coaches associated with the allegations!

TJ leva

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

There will be finger wagging, but that's all that will come of this.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

apparently she was one of the girls in a team of good looking girls Franklin employed to help with recruiting…no wonder Penn State is off to a hot start with recruiting

+7 HS
Duccivespucci's picture

This is so common nowadays. These alpha males who have been treated like gods, cover abuses up in the name of the team. Look at Florida St. and Michigan. Hell, look at Stubenville high school. It's messed up. I hope it's not true.

Michael

+4 HS
rdubs's picture

PSU also hired the president away from FSU after he was part of the university that decided to wait several months to investigate their star player.  I assume Roman Polanski is being skyped in as the commencement speaker this year?

They aren't exactly trying to move on from the whole Sandusky issue, I am surprised that the NCAA agreed to reduce sanctions given these moves.

+17 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture
+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

That's great rdubs!

Gooz-fra-bah...

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Only way psu steps in and does anything is if they start losing to teams they shouldn't and their little horse they are sitting on starts to shrink. Pretty serious accusations being thrown around in that article.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

ibuck's picture

Quote form another site:

Franklin and Galt told the victim "that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting," according to the filing. Later, the defense said, "Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

Did PSU know what they were getting into?  Is PSU getting pretty girls to do this now?

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end !

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Did PSU know what they were getting into?  Is PSU getting pretty girls to do this now?

Well, the boys didn't work out.

LEBRON

+12 HS
Bighemdog's picture

"Lots of schools do have pretty girls-yes" sadly PSU has to import them. Reminds me of that NFL cheerleader meme floating around a few years ago - they had the prettiest girls for everyone but my beloved Browns - for them they had some chick yakking up beer and sausage all over a park bench. 

To be serious I hope for the sake of the B1G that this flavor is not moving in - we've got enough PR damage with the brand already. 

OH!

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

When Franklin was hired my prediction was that his career would end in a sex scandal of some sort but I don't think this one will be the nail in the coffin.

-2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

This reminds me of the Oklahoma State allegations, what happened to those?

LEBRON

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Tennessee got slapped on the wrist for doing the exact same thing as Vandy allegedly did. They actually were even compensating the "hostesses," who were also known to visit recruits' high school games.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Osurrt's picture

Must have been some homely girls based on their recent recruiting and team records.

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

If you consider this homely, please let me know the bars where you are hanging out.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
bucksk1n's picture

Not sure if this is sarcasm but the Oklahoma State allegations were a Sports Illustrated hit piece that was full of rumors and smoke but nothing substantial written by a Texas hack (Thayer Evans) and a man whose investigation into Tatgate only added raffles (George Dohrmann) though he takes credit for Jim Tressel quitting.

That article was an insult to actual investigative journalists and lessened my opinion of Sports Illustrated to a spot somewhere in the neighborhood of TMZ.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

With no disrespect to the victims, it'd be hilarious if Franklin got dinged with an NCAA violation that hurt PSU......but it won't happen.

+1 HS
ibuck's picture

What if Franklin got hit with a show cause penalty banning him for 5 years?

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end !

-1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Naw man, you have to cover up your players trading their own memorabilia for tattoos to get that kind of punishment!

Class of 2010.

+4 HS
BroJim's picture

Damn, that's so real. Gives the idea of "worth of victim" a whole lot of meaning.

I season my simple food with hunger

The Clean North's picture

I think the NCAA has to do something. If this turns out to be true it would be embarassing. 

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

If it was Urban Meyer, every major and minor news source would have 24/7 coverage.

+14 HS
NH-IO's picture

I'm highly doubtful that the NCAA would take any action, but you would think that PSU would be ultra sensitive to this kind of issue.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Nobody even mentioned it when he was getting hired for PSU.  There was still some unrest with that Vandy program.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I hope his days are numbered because how are we ever going to get recruits...

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+10 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

SIVA - NICE................................

Jeeves's picture

I read somewhere that Ohio State has a hostess program to help in recruiting as does every other major football program.  What exactly is Franklin being accused of? Someone let me know so I can be suitably outraged.

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

That's that SEC shit so common down South. Your in the Big Ten now baby! Rules is rules.

Gone ham, be back soon...

buckskin's picture

I'll be damned; who knew PSU had some good looking girls.  News to me.

+4 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Que up the pic of fat bastard saying "I'm dead sexy"..

Buckidelphia's picture

Don't know if this is a fire-able offense because the only thing he is alleged is that he organized a group of "good looking girls" which in my book is not a crime! That being said if he tampered with an investigation that no good. 

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Well if there is one thing we have learned about Penn State, its that if there are allegations about their coach, they'll stay steadfast in their dedication to said coach. If those allegations become facts, then we all know how willing they'll be to adjust their stance in the face of reason and truth....

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+3 HS
buckeyes1934's picture

This is the defense team throwing up a hail mary to get the case dismissed. Franklin was completely cleared by the Nashville PD and DA. Before people start saying that doesn't mean much, Nashville is not like FSU in that Vanderbilt really isn't even the #1 school in its own city. Nashville is very much comparable to Columbus in that the PD would not look the other way to protect a football team. I'm not saying this is a non issue, but it's the defense team trying to deflect their client's story onto someone else.

+2 HS
rdubs's picture

I am not sure he did anything illegal, but it is definitely not a good look for a university that has been rocked by one of the most horrific rape scandals ever.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Wouldn't this be the prosecutor throwing this up?  Franklin and the Football team are the defendants, so why would the defense throw this out there?  

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Hope he doesn't leave before Urbz gets to wax him 3 or 4 times.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Thats just gross

UFM_Renewal

jamesrbrown322's picture
KELLY CLARKSON

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Uh oh, don't let the State College cultists see this...he is their new idol to worship. 

TNBuckeye1421's picture

I have direct knowledge that there is even more to this that has not come out yet! Sit back, relax, enjoy the show. 

+4 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Way to drop a grenade then leave

UFM_Renewal

+5 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

If there is more to it, we all know that nothing will materialize in 2014

wilkins0802's picture
Please come play for Penn St????

+5 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Where do I sign??

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

How about on the upper chest - will that work?

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

That'll be fine....put my John Hancock right there

UFM_Renewal

Wilkins78's picture

+1 from one Wilkins to another.

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

This part of college football just really makes me despise the whole recruiting process.

No wonder these kids wait til the week before signing period.

You want to believe student athelete playing big time football are to be admired, but some of the limits they go to just to win football games is digusting, dishonorable and deceitful.

I don't mind them getting , money , food etc.. but to arrange young women to pimp theirselves for football recruits in exchange for , and I'll assume money, cars, school perks is more corrupt than any sport in our country.

Recruiting needs reformed, consider me a lifelong fan who is to the point I don't care if I ever watch another game.

Am I the only one who finds this behavior a outrage, AND I DON'T CARE IF EVERYBODY DOES IT!!

"The Past Builds the Future"

+4 HS
Mercurius's picture

http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/05/vanderbilt-football-coach-called...

In the midst of investigations into sexual assault on college campuses and how they are handled (or mishandled) by administrators, comes the news that the football coach at Vanderbilt University, one of 55 schools cited for Title IX violations, contacted the woman several of his players are charged with raping.

But don't worry: the district attorney prosecuting the case, Tom Thurman, thinks it's fine. In fact, it's "a pretty nice thing to do." 

James Franklin and his wife apparently called the woman a few days after she reported being raped by four of his players -- Brandon Banks, Cory Batey, Tip McKenzie and Brandon Vandenburg -- last summer. Those players were later expelled, arrested and have been charged with rape. A fifth player, Chris Boyd, was also expelled and pled guilty to attempting to cover up the crime. Thurman told the Philadelphia Inquirer that Franklin and wife "said they were praying for her and thinking about her," which was "probably a pretty nice thing to do." 

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

Why assume the worst here? Maybe his call was well intentioned.

-1 HS