Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

3 Buckeyes in the first round

BassDropper's picture
April 29, 2014 at 5:51pm
34 Comments

If you're like me, anticipation increases by the day leading up to the NFL draft. I am equally excited to see who my team picks and to see where Buckeyes get drafted. Although I am an admitted loyal Browns fan and root for the Bengals when they are in the playoffs, I still follow and support my Buckeyes...even if they play for the Steelers.

Walter Football is one of the most respected mock draft sites. Walter and the other guy who writes for the site have good, solid sources. In the mock draft that was just released at noon, Walter has 3 Buckeyes in the first round, tied with Texas A&M for the most picks in the first round from a single college. His picks are as followed....

24. Bengals- Bradley Roby. Remember when people thought he was "dumb" or not making a smart decision by entering the draft? He's likely to be drafted as high as he would have been after his sophomore year.

26. Browns- Carlos Hyde. In this mock draft (and most mock drafts) they have the Browns selecting Johnny Football (which I love). I also love this pick, but would be better if they were able to draft him a few picks later. Carlos is gaining a lot of hype right now. Kiper said he could be a star as a rookie. If Hyde gets drafted in the first round then that should tell you what teams think of him considering RBs are supposed to be drafted in the 1st round anymore.

31. Denver- Ryan Shazier. I have saw mock drafts that have Shazier going as high as top 15. I've heard some rumors that teams think he is a future all pro and that he could go higher than many expect.

71. Browns- Jack Mewhort. 

brandonbauer87's picture

I'd love to see it, but I think it's more likely that zero go in the first than three. 

+7 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Shazier is a steal that late in the round IMO…I also think Hyde is the best RB in the draft.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

I think the 3 first round picks will be Chris Fields, Corey 'Pitt' Brown and Drew Basil. 

Mac..yeah

+7 HS
Buckeye4life23's picture

"Pitt" Brown one made me laugh ha

Muck Fichigan that is all.

Buckeye4life23's picture

I would love to see that happen, not gonna lie it would pain me to see El Guapo go to the Browns and not the Bengals.  I think him and Bernard would make a dynamic backfield along with the playmakers they have at WR.  What to do with Dalton though...

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Would rather see him with the Browns, but would love the 1-2 punch of Berny and Hyde 

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

What to do with Dalton though...

Give him a clipboard, and headset.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Buckeye4life23's picture

You won't hear any argument from me.  Not that my opinion matters.

Rocket Man's picture

I doubt if Hyde goes in the first round just because the position isn't as valued as it has been in the past . . . but whoever gets him is getting a first round talent. He'd be an ideal pick for the Browns.  Hope the Ravens and Steelers don't get him.

Illegitimi non carborundum

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I doubt if Hyde goes in the first round just because the position isn't as valued as it has been in the past . . . but whoever gets him is getting a first round talent. He'd be an ideal pick for the Browns.  Hope the Ravens and Steelers don't get him.

The fact that he wasn't one of the three Buckeyes invited to Radio City Music Hall for the Draft tells me that he isn't going in the first round, for exactly the reason you mentioned. I, on the other hand, very much hope the Steelers take him (The Stunning Mrs. Vance would be very happy), but given that we took Bell last year, I sure doubt that it will happen.

+2 HS
Rocket Man's picture

I'd prefer to see Carlos plying his trade down here in Cincinnati -- any or all of the three, in fact -- but (like Pittsburgh) I doubt they draft Carlos since they took Giovanni and Burkhead last year, and they still have Law Firm. CB and LB are definite needs, though.

Illegitimi non carborundum

BHT's picture

I still follow and support my Buckeyes

Of course! For me, my favorite team, also the one that I want to win the super bowl, switches every year based on the number of Buckeyes on the team (this year it was the Bengals). It is always the number of Buckeyes on a team since I don't follow a team in particular, and because I love the Buckeyes. 

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

I'm with you on that...sometimes it's not the number of Buckeyes, but who the Buckeyes are. For example, if Ted Ginn happened to go against Malcolm Jenkins and Will Smith, I would pull for the Panthers to make the Super Bowl, just because I know Ted has the potential to have a greater impact on a game. The only NFL games I watch (unless it impacts the Browns or Bengals, or a huge game like Pats and Broncos) is one who have Buckeyes on the team. Even if the only member on the team is an offensive lineman...DVR comes in handy in those situations. Also, I love watching preseason games just to see former Buckeyes who don't see the field as much (Chekwa, Posey, Boom, etc)

DIRECTIONER

BHT's picture

Agreed. That's an idea. I usually go with the number of Buckeyes on each team if the are going head-to-head, but I have never been able to figure out who to root for if they have equal numbers. That being said, I just watch the NFL to see the Buckeyes do well, and for fantasy football. I am a casual viewer. But you are right on-the more Buckeyes on a team, the better, even if it is 1-0.

TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Just wondering but what does "I've heard some rumors" constitute?

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

We've caught you now Bass. We knew you'd make a thread like this one day you sick son of a bitch. I'm going to make a thread to expose you to the interwebs forever!!!

[phone rings]

Hold on....pardon me for a moment.

Hello. What's that? Mmm.hmmm. No, I didn't read the post...he's a douche. Oh. Hmm. Right. I'll read it. ......damn. Bye.

Well.....1D still sucks.

-5 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

Who is she?? She is memorizing. ..

+1 HS
LOVEITORLEAVEIT's picture

Arianna Grande. I know this because....she has good music? No, its because she's a babe.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

God BassDropper you only post useless things on 11W... 

Would love to see 3 Buckeyes in the first round. Hoping Shazier drops to my Niners with all this stuff surrounding Aldon Smith. Him or Roby. San Francisco needs secondary help. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I love RDS and I don't like the broncos so this mix is not good for me if he goes to Denver.

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

ditto! I hope the broncos select someone who retires before playing one down for them.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I was hoping this was going to be the case when they stole Peyton Manning.  I was disappointed.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

As a fan that was at "The Drive" - I was behind the goal posts and the field goal in OT did NOT go through and shouldn't have counted. To top it off my boss is a Broncos fan and he tried to get me to convert me before the Super Bowl - I just laughed in his face before and after my 2nd favorite team the Seahawks completely embarrassed his broncos.

Danify's picture

As long as Roby goes to the Bengals, Shazier goes to the Colts Denver, and Hyde goes to the Browns. I will be excited.

Edit: After I wrote Shazier to Colts, I realized the Browns received the pick from the Colts, sooo that won't be happening. Ha.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

If you root for just the players, Shazier to the Broncos is PERFECT. However, I hate anything that makes a Manning team any better...

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Browns don't draft any OSU players, because I do not trust that franchise right now, and it is where bright NFL futures go to be extinguished. And Dear Lord, please let them avoid Manziel like the plague. A too small QB whose receivers bailed him out when he just threw the ball up for grabs? No, thank you. Then again, is he any worse than what they have at QB now? Guess not, but there are plenty of other positions of need, and honestly, if they suck again, they'll have a shot at Winston and Hundley, who are much better pro prospects than any QB in this draft.

And as long as the Steelers, and especially the Ravens, don't draft any OSU players, I'm happy.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

I would lose my SHIT if the Browns actually got Hyde in the first round and by that I mean in a good way. I just don't believe that they would jump back into that bed after they made the mistake of taking Trent a couple of years ago. Hell, the pick they would be using for that is the pick they received from trading Richardson.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

Osurrt's picture

I agree with Shazier.......I bet the other two fall into the second round. Robby's recent issues will cause suscipion and the NFL does not value RBs in the first round. Whoever gets Jack M is getting a beast. Plug him in at guard for the next 10 years with several All Pro selections.

BassDropper's picture

Im calling it now, Shazier goes top 10.

DIRECTIONER

BassDropper's picture

The draft continues to get better.

DIRECTIONER

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Shazier-12-26 Mid first

Roby18-32 Late first

Hyde-24-40 Late first/Early second

Would be awesome to see all 3 go in the first. Would also be cool as hell to see 2 or all three end up on the Bengals or Browns. Going to be curious to see if a team takes a shot on Guiton in one of the later rounds I know I would be thrilled to see the Bengals pick him up in the 6th or 7th. That first pass to Devin he threw in the Cal game for the long TD I can envision him doing that 4 or 5 times a game too A.J. Green.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

I think us getting back into the first round with targets with help.  Where loaded right now with potential first round players.  Spense, Bosa.  Then I think other potential first rounders.  V.Bell, A.Washington.  Braxton depending on year.  Lots of pro talent on team.

BassDropper's picture

Players on the roster who I think have 1st/2nd round talent (only those who have seen significant PT)

Braxton- I doubt he goes that high tbh, but he could show this season he could be a QB. Again, I doubt he goes this high, maybe 3rd-5th.

Decker-Tackles are one of the most drafted positions in early rounds. If he could be a top 5 tackle coming out (which I think he can be) he will be a 1st rounder.

Spence- projected as a 1st rounder by many

Mike Bennett- Was projected as a late 1st or early 2nd this year by many.

Bosa-Top 10 when he comes out.

Washington-Has shown that he can go one-on-one with projected top 10 pick Lewan. I think he blows up and has a monster season this year.

DIRECTIONER

otrain2416's picture

I'm happy to see our boys back in the first round