Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Buckeye Playoff Teams

Crumb's picture
April 28, 2014 at 10:29pm
27 Comments

Following the Jackets getting eliminated tonight I decided to drown my sorrows in old Buckeye Highlights and while watching the 05 team I thought if they had a playoff back then that the way that team was playing at the end of that year, they were untouchable. Anyone else think of any good Buckeye teams who could've benefited from a playoff?

MacG91's picture

The 09 and especially the '10 team would of greatly benefited from a playoff. The '05 defense was unreal tho. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

The 96 squad (won the 97 Rose Bowl against ASU, pooed the bed against scUM) and the 98 squad (won 99 Sugar Bowl, lost to Nick Satan's MSU) would have both been prime candidates for a playoff and perhaps won them IMO.
Arguably, two of the most talented Buckeye squads there ever was...

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Those late Cooper teams also immediately came to mind. Any one of the 95, 96 or 98 squads were worthy without question.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+2 HS
Brutus1972's picture

No question the 96 and 98 teams were awesome and probably had the best chance

Crumb's picture

The 05 and 09 teams stand out to me because they had great defenses all year and offenses that got it together for great second half of the season runs.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

2005 playoff:

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Penn State
4. Ohio State

Would have been tough to get past that '05 USC team. If Ohio State had gotten by USC, I have no doubt that they could beat Penn State, or Texas.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

BassDropper's picture

No SEC? ESPN would boycott. 

DIRECTIONER

Back in 2005 they weren't riding the SEC's jock. Good times those were. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Wasn't Reggie "money bags" Bush on the 05 team for usc?

Crumb's picture

I know we lost to Texas and Penn State early but a rematch after we had gotten on track in that year and I think we would have taken any of them.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

-1 HS

USC would worry me a lot more than the Texas/Penn State winner. They were loaded. Might have played out like the '03 NC game.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

OSU should have beaten Texas that year. Im not a big fan of 'if A is to B and C is to A, then C is the same to B' in sports, especially college football, but I like OSU's chances against that USC team given how great our defense was, particularly late in the year. Troy Smith and the offense was at the 2006 level late in the 2005 year and Id take us in the rematch vs PSU. I'd take us over Texas too, Zwick played a lot in that Texas game and was typical Zwick. USC/OSU for the National Title… OSU wins. I think the 2003 team certainly would have been dangerous in the playoff, great defense on that team too. Pretty much any of the elite 90's OSU teams that sucked vs Michigan could have won titles in a playoff format, especially the 1998 team (I know they lost to MSU). '98 team was the best all around OSU team I think Ive ever seen. 

-1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

The '05 team was the best Buckeye team I remember in awhile. Tress doesn't let Zwick play and or Hamby catches that ball in the endzone vs. UT and 1 less mistake vs. PSU, they were looking at a birth in the Rose (MNCG that year).

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS

You could also say if Troy doesn't get into trouble Ohio State could have been in the NC.

+3 HS
Crumb's picture

I think Tressel's sense of loyalty did the team in early on that year, because clearly Troy was the better option at QB but he got in trouble and when he did Zwick played ok in the Alamo Bowl and ok in the opener against Miami that year, so Coach Tressel felt he deserved a shot on the big stage. I'm not saying Tress was right or wrong here, I understand both trains of thought, but a different coach may have just stuck with the most talented player. It's an interesting paradox.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I agree. A lot of people forget how his one bad decision affected that entire season.

The 1996, 1998 and 2005-06 teams were the most entertaining I've seen at OSU in my lifetime.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

hit_the_couch's picture

You could also say if Troy doesn't get into trouble Ohio State could have been in the NC.

Troy's suspension was the game verse Ok St and the first game of the year. The UT game was the second game and his suspension was up.

Tress stated before the game he thought it would be fun to play Zwick because VY and Zwick were #1 and #2 QBs coming out of high school in their recruiting classes. Tress also stated the hot QB would not matter in regards to playtime seen. 

Aren't you glad I have this killer memory?

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Troy's suspension was the game verse Ok St and the first game of the year. The UT game was the second game and his suspension was up.

He hadn't played in a real game since going up against Michigan almost 10 months before. Rust comes into play at some point.

hit_the_couch's picture

Troy was the one moving the ball and making plays.

And had he not gotten into trouble, he would have played the whole game.

Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

The '10 team most definitely. They were poised for a National Title run until that stinkin game up in Madison. Still chaps my ass. Thought they were the best team in the country that year and showed it when they smacked Arkansasss  around til Tressel ball kicked in and almost doomed us.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+1 HS

That '10 team was definitely underrated.

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I know this - the 1996, 1998, and 2003 teams could also have made some noise in a playoff system if they qualified.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
THEOSUfan's picture

Any team of John Cooper's that had one loss at the end of the regular season and that one loss was to the last team on the schedule: 93, 96, and 98 - and they could have won a 4 team playoff - assuming TTUN wasn't an opponent.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

'98 was the loss to MSU when Germaine game winning pass was intercepted in the end zone.

I believe those to be very good teams, and if I remember right, the losses to scUM were fairly close. '95 was a pretty damn good team too.

Earle's picture

All those Cooper teams mentioned certainly had the talent, but I have a hard time imagining a Coop-coached team faring well in a playoff.

Just say no to italics abuse.