Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ranking the PRO-Careers of Buckeye Receivers

ShawneeBuck74's picture
April 22, 2014 at 8:42am
20 Comments

The post of the "composite" Buckeye receiver got me thinking: How would we rate the greatest Buckeye receivers based in their pro-careers? (I'm thinking 1980--now). My list:

1.  Chris Carter

2.  Joey Galloway

3.  Terry Glenn

4.  Sanontio Holmes

5.  Mike Jenkins

Honorable Mention:  Brian Hartline; Brian Stablien 

Biggest disappointment: David Boston. Dude had the talent, size, speed, and strength to redefine the position but just didn't have the focus (apparently). 

IH8UOFM's picture

I think Santonio climbs this list eventually. Once upon a time he was the SB MVP, right?

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

I know you said 1980-now, but I can only think of one other name to add to add to the all-time list:  Paul Warfield.  I would probably slot him in at #2.

Edit:  forgot about Dante Lavelli.  He would probably be on the list as well.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

ShawneeBuck74's picture

Santonio could definitely end up higher on the list.  He was SB MVP but since then, he's had one really good season and several ok or injury plagues seasons.  Needs longevity to assess fully.

You win with people. 

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

Needs to stay off the mary jane. May still be a steeler and one of the league's best if he had. Being a pitt fan, him and roeth had great chemistry and his smoking got him run out of town.

Buck-I4Life

OSUStu's picture

I think Ted Ginn deserves an honorable mention, especially when you consider his return game.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture

Agreed. Totally forgot Ted Ginn! The last couple years of Teddy's game especially have really been good.  Seems like coaches finally figured out how to use his strengths in ways besides just the return game.

You win with people. 

ShawneeBuck74's picture

It'll be interesting to see if Devier Posey develops too. He has some talent. Too bad he got injured when he was starting to come on. 

You win with people. 

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Ginn isn't a good NFL receiver. He lacks route running skills and has 1 maybe 2 mediocre seasons.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

This will be his eighth year in the league.  I guess he doesn't suck that bad.  Several years among the top return men in the league certainly should count for something.  

jamesrbrown322's picture

I have always been disappointed with how few OSU wideouts pan out in the NFL. Boston was the only one with a Pro Bowl appearance since Carter...and he was all roided up.

I wonder why OSU never really produces good NFL WRs? Then again, they have never really produced a good NFL QB. That would be an interesting and slightly depressing debate - who is Ohio State's greatest NFL QB? I'm going to guess that statistically it's Mike Tomczak.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Buckabroad's picture

Pre-80's mainly, but Jack Tatum.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

jamesrbrown322's picture

As a WR?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Il_Padrino's picture

He said receiver NOT receiver killer.

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+1 HS
Buckabroad's picture

Ha ha. Right you are. Can't help it, but I feel like Tatum should be on any list of greats!

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+1 HS
sbentz4's picture

Although David Boston was inconsistent, he was much better than Jenkins when he was at his best.  Career totals are comparable because Boston was so much better during his good years.  I would have to give a slight nod to David Boston over Michael Jenkins.

teakwood's picture

Antonie Winfield anybody

teakwood's picture

sorry missed wide receiver part

ShawneeBuck74's picture

David Boston would be in this discussion above Mike Jenkins if he stayed in the league longer.  Heck, he'd be past Santonio too if he had. 

I put Mike Jenkins ahead of David Boston for longevity sake. I think David Boston was the most physically talented receiver in Ohio State history, the one with the potential to pass Chris Carter.  

Here's their career numbers (which will just reinforce how sad it was that Boston didn't have the focus to live up to his potential):

Mike Jenkins 2004 - present:  130 GP, 354 receptions, 4427 rec yards, 25 TDs

David Boston 199-2005: 75 GP, 315 receptions, 4699 rec yards, 25 TDs (1 pro-bowl)

You win with people. 

B1G 10 Buckeye Stuck in SEC Country's picture

I've got Chris Gamble on a technicality. 

" Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I like what you did there 10 - was thinking the same thing