Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

ESPN Outside the Lines stalking Buckeye fans

bucked up's picture
April 14, 2014 at 7:51pm
99 Comments

ESPN and their hack Outside the Lines team was trying their damndest to nail Jim Tressel to the cross back in 2011. Because lying about broke college athletes selling their own gear is the most awful crime in the world. One of the "reporters" they sent to investigate was Justine Gubar.

I first heard about her while listening to Common Man and the Torg. The Torg mentioned that former Buckeye players had told him about her, and that she was badgering them to turn on the program. She would call them and act phony nice, like she was their buddy, all while deliberately trying to get them to sell out their school and coach.

Like any true Buckeye fan, I was infuriated by this phony, hack form of journalism. I found her on facebook and wrote her a scathing message, obviously void of any threat, and even void of swear words. Never heard back from her, and apparently none of the players cooperated with her.

Anyways, I was lying in my bed after taking a nap when there was a knock at my door. My girlfriend went to answer it, and sure enough, Justine and some other dude are standing on my porch asking for me. I went downstairs and, just as Torg said, she was acting phony nice, trying to talk about the incident. She also said that she was looking for other Buckeyes and fans who contacted her about that incident.

I flew into a rage and yelled at that stupid hack to get off of my porch. Looking back, I regret doing that. I wish I would've taken a few minutes to calm down, so that I could slowly, piece by piece, tell her how much of a tool and a company whore she was for taking part in that nonsense story.

I assume there are other people on this site who heard about her doings in 2011, whether from Common man and the Torg, or wherever. Just a heads up. ESPN may be knocking at your door.

buckeyestu's picture

Never heard of her. I rarely watch espn.

+4 HS
cdub4's picture

She was in town a few years ago, trying to get more info on OSU. Truth be told, they were pretty close to finding more violations, but no one would speak on record. If you sent investigative reporters to any college town with a major program, you could find violations if you do enough digging. I wonder what she is up to now.

+3 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

No offense, but the way you acted only makes us all look worse. She stalked you? It looks like you stalked her first.

+19 HS
bucked up's picture

What does it matter? The network has already made up their mind about anybody affiliated with OSU.

And I sent a non-threatening email to a public reporter. That is not stalking. If you can't tell the difference between doing that and showing up at another person's house unannounced THREE YEARS LATER then I don't know what to tell you.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Despite what you may believe, acting nice to sources is hardly hack journalism.

I'm assuming that they had heard rumors and that her job was to get players to corroborate those stories, and if she doesn't act nice to them, there's no chance that they would. And, again, if this was done for a story about Michigan, I'm sure people here would praise her for trying to dig up dirt.

While ESPN's reliance on punditry and manufactured "debates" is deplorable, their actual journalists tend to do a pretty good job. Buster Olney, Jeremy Schapp and Adam Schefter are very good at their jobs, and programs like E:60 and, yes, OTL, are very good.

Was it stupid how overblown Tatgate was? Yeah, absolutely. But it was three years ago and the program is in a better place now. Can we just get over it already?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+12 HS
bucked up's picture

Was it stupid how overblown Tatgate was? Yeah, absolutely. But it was three years ago and the program is in a better place now. Can we just get over it already?

Tell that to her. She's the one wandering around columbus bringing it up again. And yes, it is phony when you try to buddy up with people that you don't actually know in an effort to get them to stab their former coach and program in the back.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If she was, say, trying to get a staffer for a [ INSERT POLITICAL PARTY THAT YOU DISLIKE ] Congressman to leak details about rumored illegal back-door deals, do you honestly think you'd have the same problem?

If you're trying to get something out of a source, you're not going to be mean to them. Sure, she's not trying to become BFF's with her sources, like they're not going to go bowling or send each other Christmas cards, but as a journalist, you have to treat your sources well.

If she had done that to any other school, nobody here would have a problem with it.

I get that Tatgate really, really sucked, but let's not put the onus on the journalists who were doing their job, let's put it on the athletes who broke the rules and the administration that covered it up in the first place. Not that any of that actually matters, since it was three years ago (!!!) and now we have Urban.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Nope still butthurt

Football is complicated...

Furious George 27's picture

I do not consider what ESPN does as journalism since they are probably the most bias sporting media source with how they promote certain stories and bury others. Whats bad is that they control the sports media and pass their agenda as fact when its nothing more than entertainment and opinions.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+18 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed FG27 - whenever "Their Teams" lose a game the highlights are usually dominated by the amazing plays their teams made with only a few highlights of the team that just beat them. 

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

A lot of ESPN's actual journalism is very good. Specifically, E:60 is fantastic, and they have some fantastic reporters. Buster Olney and Adam Schefter are both incredible at what they do.

With that said, they're in a ratings-driven industry, so that takes precedent. They're not necessarily blatantly abandoning journalistic principles, but on a network-wide level, they do what ever they can to get ratings.

This leads to the cookie-cutter debate shows that we always see, and again, not all of them are that bad. FirstTake is horrible, but Around the Horn is pretty great, and Highly Questionable is excellent, and PTI has its moments.

As for the focus on East Coast + Los Angeles teams, well, it draws ratings. More people care about the Lakers than the Timberwolves. And yes, the SEC thing was annoying, but those schools have absolutely massive fan bases and the conference has been immensely successful lately, so it makes sense that they'd try to milk it.

So, it's fine to be mad at ESPN as a network, but like any other network, they're just trying to get ratings. Despite this, they employ some great journalists and air some pretty good shows.

+1 HS
spqr2008's picture

I don't care whether they are "journalists" or entertainers.  Personally, I think they're entertainers, so that Sullivan v. New York Times does not apply.  They only reason I could even imagine talking to their "investigators" would be to paint myself in such a light that I could gain standing to sue and destroy them.  Even put into the suit that I will not take a red cent from ABC/Disney, only from ESPN directly.

+4 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

When did she show up to your place? Then or now?
I am aware of some former players she called...I am also aware of Torg's "reporting" of these occurences.
Pretty standard move for national media. It sucks as they usually dont report any GOOD news, they only report on statements that back their preconceived story/agenda. Total muckraking but folks are willing to pick a choose what they want to read and what they want to believe.

+1 HS
bucked up's picture

today. and she said she was going to find other people around columbus to talk about Tatgate

-2 HS

I am guessing she is trolling around because players are so far removed that whatever they say cannot be held against the school much like Auburn had the players come out about the sacks of $$ they received.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Gross...get over it lady...and ESPiN.
I would love to hire an "investigative reporter" to dig up her past, interview her ex-boyfriends, and expose any/all unfavorable opinioms on her. However, nobody would care or even know who she is.

So you facebook messaged her in 2011 and she showed up 3 years later!? Are you a former player or just a dude who sent her a message?

bucked up's picture

Im no player. Just a guy who, without swear words or threats, told her how thoroughly disgusted i was with her "reporting". I was flabbergasted when she appeared at my house theee years later

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

ESPN has slowly tailspun from being a reputable news reporting source, to a joke of a news creating blackhole.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+9 HS
bucked up's picture

Absolutely correct.

BTW, who downvoted Jamesbrown322's post and others like it? Obviously some ESPN fanboys still here. They need turn to the book of Ramzy 3:16 and get an education. The network is just as awful and putrid as ever

-3 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

You fail to see how what you did was identical to what she did. The only difference was YOU initiated it. You sought her out via her public Facebook profile based on a basic use of a web search. She sought you out via your home address based on a basic use of a web search. Its not about whether ESPN is right or wrong, you simply just fed the stereotype of "ultra-obsessed" Ohio State fans.

+3 HS
bucked up's picture

You dont understand what you re talking about. What reporter shows up at the houses of disgruntled readers? Big difference from sending messages back and forth. And all she did was perpetuate the fact that espn has a massive hard on for osu. 

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

One trying to write a story utilizing first person interviews?  She's not just some random person she's a reporter, so she's doing what she's paid to do which is to report on a viewpoint, story or incident.  She did not show up at my door, probably because I did not seek her out in the past.

Maybe she's writing an expose about ultra obsessed fans that think they have some connection with a team for no legitimate reason?  Were you a student at OSU?  Were you affiliated with the team somehow?  Why would you care so much to berate someone thats just doing what they are paid to do in a "private" way such as Facebook?

+2 HS
bucked up's picture

So in your world, nobody can ever voice their opinions to a journalist unless they are a player or coach or member of the AD. We cannot have any opinions whatsoever, or else we are over-obsessed lunatics. And we can expect every journalist to show up unannounced at our front doors three years after giving our opinions. Got it

+3 HS
Jack Fu's picture

No, plenty of people on this website have opinions about sports in general and OSU sports specifically. That doesn't make us over-obsessed lunatics. You behaving like an over-obsessed lunatic is what makes you look like an over-obsessed lunatic.

+5 HS
faux_maestro's picture

You sought her out via her public Facebook profile based on a basic use of a web search. She sought you out via your home address based on a basic use of a web search. 

I'm going to remember this post the next time I show up at that chick's house that didn't return my emails on OKCUPID. 

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+6 HS

They are pretty much the TMZ of sports... Don't get me wrong, they do have some great programming with with the 30 for 30.... But the people who run recruiting and college game day along with some of their NFL experts are there for pure entertainment value reaching the pinnacle of absurdity when they said Stanford didn't play Stanford football.

+5 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Eh, I'd say deadspin has the 'TMZ of sports' title locked up pretty tight. But I totally agree with the sentiment of what you're saying.

TheBadOwl's picture

Deadspin is actually pretty excellent, but they try to be super edgy. They're like an early Rolling Stone of the sports world.

InvertMyVeer's picture

I've been a longtime reader of deadspin (going back to the Will Leitch days) while I don't enjoy the site as much as I used to it's still entertaining and a site I browse often.

TheBadOwl's picture

Sure, ESPN has its flaws, but TMZ sits around at airports and tries to get celebs to say dumb shit to make them look bad, and they pay people for nude photos of celebs. ESPN is bad, but let's not put them in the same class as TMZ.

If anything, ESPN is the [ Fox News / MSNBC, whichever one you disagree with ] of sports journalism. Their actual reporting is good, but the network clearly has an agenda and they choose how to frame stories to fit their own narrative, and then they enforce that with their appointed pundits. All because it's really easy to get ratings when you set your own narratives.

+2 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

If anything, ESPN is the [ Fox News / MSNBC, whichever one you disagree with ] of sports journalism.

So true. This cracked my ass up.

woodcocklives@osu's picture

This is odd....she shows up at your house? Really? I wonder if this is an ESPN based inquiry or a personal/book deal thing? Her Twitter timeline has her asking former USC, current Celtic Gabe Pruitt to follow her, saying she wants to ask him questions for a story. The rest of her Twitter is a Red Sox / Yankees circle jerk, straight out of Bristol.

Edit: she follows and has retweeted bhoolz. Note, I actually like hooley, FWIW.

danbrown7665's picture

sounds like she's just doing her job. Grow up bro

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+2 HS
bucked up's picture

What job was that? Show up to some random reader's house three years after a story has ended to talk about why I sent her an opinionated message on the internet? Have you ever heard of any reputable reporter doing that? Three years later? The least she couldve done was stop by in 2011

-2 HS
Oyster's picture

I'm still trying to figure out why you included your address in your original message 3 years ago?  Also, lucky for her that you haven't moved in that time frame too, otherwise, how would she have ever been able to find you...

+3 HS
bucked up's picture

Actually i have moved to a new house since the original message was sent. That made it even weirder. And i never included an address on the original message

-2 HS
Oyster's picture

Maybe we should ask her to track down Jimmy Hoffa?  Obviously she is very good at finding people...

+5 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

As long as the B1G is costing ESPiN money ...

We can expect this type of attacking, degrading, trolling coverage. The BTN is a Splinter in there foot they don't like and it is the only real threat to their monopoly of Popular Sports Propaganda.

Yes the money the B1G schools make and the BTN cost ESPiN money. They attack the Flag Ship Schools; PSU, OSU,TSUN.

This is a business decision that the common CFB fan will not notice. The scary part is the bidding is coming up, if things don't go well for ESPiN, then we will see the full fury of a very powerful Broadcasting Network from Disney to ABC.

ESPN has a agenda folks, it's time to understand that, they are just so far ahead the curve in Sports Entertainment there is NOBODY,(unfortunately not even FOX it would appear), to expose their propaganda machine.

Just as sure as I post this, I'm also sure there are several ESPiN posters on every CFB Board of significance to refute such claims or twist them to anything but the truth.

ESPN's attacks are not driven from a personal level, it's purely bussines, they like having the Sports Market/Entertainment World to themselves. The BTN and B1G's success is in their way. And could establish a precendent and alternative to them, they don't like that.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+2 HS
TheHumbleBuckeye's picture

I find this story intriguing in that OTL is obviously back in Columbus investigating something. You should have been kinder to her. Maybe she's back in Columbus to get the whole story on TatGate, a story that i believe would ultimately vindicate Tressel.

I would be surprised if she was just fishing for information on more violations. Urbz is a former ESPiN employee and the people there seem to have liked working with him, so I doubt they'd go fishing to bring his program down unless they really had something (which they obviously don't, or else she wouldn't have been showing up at your door. She probably would have had more solids leads).

I do wonder why the OTL people are back in Cbus. If anybody hears anything, please share.

+3 HS
@OSUDefender's picture

Sounds more like they're trying for some kind of content regarding poor fan behavior than anything about OSU. Best not to talk to her at all.

+5 HS

That could also be true. But "unruly fans" doesn't seem like something an "investigative journalist" would be interested in. Maybe they're running out of stories to run (hint to OTL: Go South, young reporters).

Jack Fu's picture

Sounds more like they're trying for some kind of content regarding poor fan behavior than anything about OSU.

Oh, well if that's the case it's a good thing the fan in question didn't fly off the handle and act like a jackass.

+13 HS
nm_buck's picture

What kind of journalist knocks on the door of some unknown fan in the first place?  I mean... what's the point?  

When you have no journalistic skill, I guess you gotta do a little trolling.

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He sent her a nasty message on Facebook a while back. She's currently writing a book and apparently it's about crazy fans.

So, he's hardly an unknown fan, at least not to her.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I have friends who worked in various areas of the Athletic Department that were contacted by the Dispatch, Plain Dealer, and ESPN for information regarding Tatgate…its their job, for better or worse. 

+5 HS
bucked up's picture

The difference is that those people are affiliated with the athletic department. Not a totally unaffiliated viewer who has a bone to pick with a story. Jeff pearlman, john bacon, and tim may do not appear at the houses of random viewers who do not like their stories

-3 HS
Mizzillion's picture

...do not appear at the houses of random viewers...

Not random at all.  It was in response to something you initiated.  Not saying it's right or wrong, but it was definitely not random.

+2 HS
bucked up's picture

How is showing up unannounced at somebodys house that you never met who lives 2000 miles away THREE YEARS LATER not random??? 

brandonbauer87's picture

Considering how popular the tatgate scandal was, they could be doing a follow-up piece. I can understand being a little caught off-guard, but I don't see any reason to automatically assume there are ulterior motives. 

Exactly. Given how positively Tress was portrayed in Youngstown Boys, and the positive reception that documentary had, I'd imagine OTL would be interested in some sort of follow up piece, specifically one that may shed a more positive light on Tressel, since beating him while he's down and already out of coaching wouldn't really be noteworthy.

+3 HS
bucked up's picture

The producers of youngstown boys were producing the movie independently. Espn had nothing to do with the content or direction of the program

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

I can understand being a little caught off-guard, but I don't see any reason to automatically assume there are ulterior motives. 

Is that a joke? This is 11 Warriors, where most users presume that every single thing ESPN does is a sinister attempt to bring down OSU.

+12 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Yeah, but ESPN is just doing it because Luke Fickell and Jim Bollman told them to.

+2 HS

Bucked Up:

May I recommend something? Write her an email/facebook message apologizing to her and tell her that if she wants to chat, you're available. I'm very interested as to why OTL is back in Cbus. Don't burn bridges. The media is a powerful ally to have on our side. You could use this as an opportunity to shine a positive light on the fanbase and the university.

+8 HS
bucked up's picture

You seem like a nice poster. But you re naive to think that anybody affiliated with espn  doesnt have an ulterior motive. It's silly to think that the company is going to look favorably at osu simply because a former employee is the new head coach. They are a glorified tabloid that will do whatever is in their power to distort truth and frame a story to fit their narrative. So no, i will not grovel at the feet of some espn hack who would love nothing more than to blow up the program. 

Could she be here trying to clear tressel's name and shed a positive light on the program? Maybe. But not likely. Either way, her news organization blatantly tried to spear the entire program, so it shouldn't be a shock when she gets turned away by the people who support the school. 

Again, start reading ramzy's articles

-10 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

the old adage" keep your friends close and your enemies closer" comes to mind here.   I think you are missing the boat by not trying to find out what shes up to.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

bucked up's picture

You may be right. Part of me regrets not taking a deep breath and talking to them. At the same time, it's very startling to have someone appear out of nowhere like that about something that happened three years ago, and I wasn't prepared to make a calculated decision

-1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Are you in the sports memorabilia business? Did you shoot any of the tats? Do you work at a car lot? Im trying to find the connection on why "YOU". She would have to believe you have some information they could use and I see absolutely zero reason why you sending a FU tweet or FB message would have led her to believe you had good information they were going to obtain. Just fess up and tell us how you link in to this. Seriously if my company was interested in making another business look bad the last place we would go for incriminating info would be to a vocal supporter of the company we are trying to discredit.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
bucked up's picture

I'm as baffled as you are. As cool as it would be to say that I'm important enough to be sought by an espn reporter, that is simply not the case. This is the equivalent of DJ or one of the 11W writers showing up at the house of a disgruntled poster from this site. Reporters get angry emails from readers all the time. But they either respond with a message or ignore it. They never find the people at their homes, and they sure as hell don't do it three years later.

Besides, it's an incredibly stupid, dangerous and unnecessary risk for her to show up at a random guy's house unannounced. Especially when the neighborhood has as many strange characters as this one does. Her whole being here was so stupifying and confusing that I have to think she's trying to find someone or something bigger to unearth. The research and travel needed just to find me is more trouble than it's worth. And I doubt that this is part of a memoir because nobody knows who the hell she is.

Perhaps she's been watching too much True Detective and thinks that some anonymous meathead (me) is the key to unlocking the mysteries of the OSU athletic department. I guess this is how espn's crack investigative journalist team chooses to operate

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If she's seeking out other fans who said stuff like that to her, it's pretty obvious that that's the angle of her story and she's not trying to tear down our glorious athletic department again.

It's probably some kind of piece about how reporters get ridiculous personal messages from fans of the institutions they report on, or something of that nature. If she was really looking for dirt on OSU, she wouldn't be going to fans, trust me.

+2 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

with all the info private and public at everyones disposal these days its one of the things you have to be ready for when you reach out and give your opinion via the internet. I also am not sure I wouldn't have reacted the same way you did.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Someone alert our old buddy Mindtwin.  There has to be some synergy here.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

Which reminds me, how is the book coming along?

Earle's picture

Looking for a new publisher after berating my old one for having a differing opinion.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

I hate it when people think for themselves.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Unky, it looks like you shed your winter growth a little too soon.

Unky Buck's picture

No kidding! I thought that this morning as I was heading to my office. Freaking Ohio weather.

On a side note, at least, since my running has been shelved for the week (tweaked a few muscles), I think being sans the beard will be just fine...and I'll be good go by next week.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

This guy is getting blasted with DV's for this story?

Who the hell really cares, don't downvote just because everyone else is fellas...he hasn't said anything offensive or out of line IMO

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
CincyOSU's picture

I think he's receiving dv's because of the way he is defending his poor behavior/handling of this incident.

And while we're on that, am I the only one who finds this a little hard to believe? Or that we aren't getting the full version here?

+5 HS
bucked up's picture

I can assure u, on the eyes of urban meyer, that this story is 100 percent true. And the fact that you find this story to be far fetched shows just how absurd it was for her to show up to my house unannounced

although saying that I "flew into a rage", as I did in the opening statement, is a bit of an exaggeration. Inside my blood was boiling. But I didn't shout or do anything threatening. I told them that they were hacks, that I hated the hatchet job outside the lines tried to do to the program and that they needed to get off of my porch

-3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I wish I had a stalker...

HawaiianBuckeye's picture

Bucked Up I have no clue who you are and what your role is with 11W but you did handle the situation pretty poorly.  That being said, I will make this short and sweet.  

She showed up at my door back in 2011 or whatever it was and I wasn't happy.  After a cooling off period and a day or two I agreed to meet with her.  I was curious to what she was asking, who else she was talking to and what did she really know?  Hell, and I wasn't turning down a free meal at Outback Steakhouse either paid for by The Mouse himself!  Outback Special it was.  

Here is where I will keep it really short and sweet.  She not only asked about Tatgate but she asked and brought up stuff (names, places of business, associations etc etc) all associated with the program that I was extremely surprised she had found out.  Where or who she got it from I don't know but it was the kind of stuff you find with "dead bodies".  She got good information.  Solid information.  She's NOT A HACK!  She did her work and she found out shit you people would've been surprised to know about back then because it was all stuff that usually stays within the walls of the program.  If she could have gotten anyone to go on the record the story would've been huge.  Tatgate was NOTHING!  I will end it with this.  Just be thankful it was just Tatgate that we were sanctioned for and that everyone held their ground and didn't go on the record.

That is all.

+4 HS

Hawaiian you use to punt for our beloved Buckeyes many many years ago did you not? Actually your name is out there and your are Scott Terna the punter from Punahou that punted in 93-94? Its also rather odd she would contact somebody whose playing days were long over with before JT even stepped on campus. I have seen you show a lot of angst towards tOSU over the last few years and I do not know what soured that connection for you. Are these things you keep bringing up the same things that are rampant at most other high profile Universities that have semi demi Gods playing for them? The way I have seen you speak in the past it is almost like you are pissed we didn't get caught for bigger more damaging things. Yes man cars,autographs,handshakes,women,tutors, all that shit goes down at most of the top football programs. But honestly man what has made you so angry to keep bringing this issue to light. I hope you wouldn't blow a whistle and I honestly don't think you did but I have seen others accuse you of doing just that in the past and now you have some vendetta out because your whistle was ignored.

+2 HS

Yes.

Yes.  I have nothing to hide so I don't make it a point to conceal my identity on message boards.

I found out she contacted many of my teammates as well.  She has "stories" from before the Tressel era.  Like I said, she did her research and surprised me with the information she was tossing out there.  Some stuff that I had actually forgotten about but was reminded of it. It was rather uncanny sitting there listening to this reporter come up with stuff you thought was sealed in the confines of the WHAC etc.  So, she was digging for stuff besides Tatgate and probably why she contacted players prior to Tressel.  

Yes, there is a very REAL love hate relationship I have with Ohio State.  It is true "these things" happen all over the country and have been for a long time.  It's inbred in the culture and has been long before I was playing and will continue.  There are people who should've been held accountable for what happened that didn't and that bothers me and others.  I don't keep bringing it to light but when it comes to light I say what I do.  What has made me so angry? A lot of things.  My personal story has been told to quite a few already and you may here about it someday.  There isn't a single person who disagrees that I was shit on by my University.  If you had been treated the way I have been you'd feel the same way.  If you didn't then you have NO RESPECT for yourself as a person.  I can honestly say I don't care either way anymore.  I like to see the young men do well and the coaches succeed but it doesn't bother me one bit when things do not go well.  I should be pissed off and cussing left and right when we lose or play like shit.  But, I simply do not care anymore because of how I've been treated by a few people there (liars and snakes).  They have no clue on how to be LOYAL and support their own.  How firm thy friendship my ass!  They can't even practice what they preach. 

I will step down now.

Peace and aloha.

+2 HS

Well I really appreciate you answering with all your honesty. I wish things didn't sour between you and the university after your playing days and I really use to enjoy some of the pictures you took and shared. I myself know JT pretty much bit a bullet that had other peoples name on it. Its a tragic thing but I feel some how down the line it the near future it will have worked out for the best for everyone involved. Buckeye Nation needs people like you to thrive and hopefully some things can be mended. Best Buckeye to ever come out of the state of Hawaii that's for sure.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well said Colerain - pretty insightful post.

I'd like to buy you a "cold one" Hawaiian Buckeye.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

EDIT: not worth the debate

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

-1 HS
danbrown7665's picture

she obviously showed up at your house to get further evidence of how crazy and ridiculous some OSU fans can be. She wanted to use you as an example of a crazy fan- which im sure your not but your facebook could have potentially indicated as such.

You took the bate by posting whatever you did on facebook. She wanted your reaction

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

You were right.  Apparently she's working on a book and crazy fans are a part of it.  

Interviewed the chief of Police at OSU to talk about the 2002 riots after the UM game. 

Perhaps the original poster shouldn't have personally took it upon himself to contact her via Facebook and basically told her she was lower than a prostitute.  

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The whole "working on a book about crazy fans" thing was always the most obvious reason why she'd be interviewing crazy fans. Does anyone here honestly think that she'd talk to fans if she was trying to LITERALLY DESTROY EVERYTHING ABOUT OHIO STATE FOOTBALL like the OP thinks she is?

+1 HS

Wow I hope it just isn't a smear piece on tOSU fans when we see news stories almost every week about Bama and Burn fans shooting people,poisoning trees and going to prison regularly over their fandome. If you want crazy stories about out of touch with reality fans the sec is the  place to be digging for certain.

-2 HS

Colerain as I said, I have NOTHING to hide.  If you are ever interested in hearing more I'm open.  It helps somewhat heal the deep wounds created by those daggers they thrust in my back when people actually understand how I got into the position I'm in currently.  

I used to enjoy taking them!

Yes he did!  He's a better man than me and I'll never be able to do what he did.  Not in this lifetime.  I would've took those SOB's down with me.

It worked out great in getting Urban Meyer for sure.  After taking photos of Urban Meyer and Chris Leak holding up the NC Trophy my first words out of my mouth walking off the turf in Glendale were, "I want that guy or someone like him as our head coach when Tressel is done".

Yeah, they had an asset in me.  I was doing great things and headed for more, but a few individuals were jealous of me and saw me as a threat to their business so they masterminded a plan to cut out all photographers and when I fought it that's when things turned beyond UGLY.  They stripped everything away from me and in the process made up lies about me, slandered me, threatened me and just downright treated me like an abused dog. All for questioning their shady and out right back door maneuvers to orchestrate their plan.  It got really bad and I have all documents saved in case it ever went the legal route.  Still may some day who knows.  You're welcome to check them out anytime.

I'm not the best Buckeye to come out of Hawai'i but I am almost 100% sure I'm the only person originally from Hawai'i to play on the Buckeye football team.  

Thanks.

+3 HS

Hey man you are a brother to me in my mind no matter what. I believe every word you are typing and can actually feel your pain through them.I wont ask you details about the wrongs that have been brought upon you in such a public setting and I apologize if I might have came off a little harsh from the get go. Would love to hear some more about this for sure and I will contact you through another source more directly as I feel maybe some of this shouldn't be viewed by all sets of eyes. Really appreciate you telling it like it is and that's why I had to ask you. You never seemed like a guy scared to say exactly how he felt as neither am I and that can be both a blessing and a curse. C'est la vie. Thanks Scott

Hawaiian,

Everything you have said is consistent with what I've been told by people "in the know" (which includes some directly involved with TatGate). Message me if you ever want to compare notes. Tressel is a great man who did not deserve his fate. Keep fighting the good fight.

+1 HS

Not sure how to send messages on this board.  Do not come here often.  Found a link to this story on one of the other boards.  Either on the preferred news site Bucknuts or the more entertaining Scout.com site.  You can find me on FB and Twitter too.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

While, as a student here, I will always cheer my heart out for the Buckeyes, I'm also incredibly cynical about pretty much everything else. I'd be a fool to convince myself that nothing shady goes on here. And it sounds like you really got a raw deal.

And I love that we have a passionate fan base, but people need to realize that Ohio State is capable of doing wrong, and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with journalists sniffing around for dirt. If a journalist comes to Ohio State and tries to confirm rumors of some kind of corruption, we shouldn't attack them. They're doing their job. Do people here seriously think that journalists don't go around LSU and Bama looking for similar stuff? Hell, this is exactly how the Penn State thing got rolling. Every program has dirt, and college football would be much better if that dirt was exposed and the problems were fixed.

And, on a side-note, I looked at your Twitter feed and saw some of your photos, and as an amateur photographer, and they're pretty great. Keep up the good work, man.

+6 HS

Raw deal is an understatement.  

Thanks.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

I would say that people do think that journalists don't go sniffing around the LSUs and Bamas...there seems to be smoke billowing out of every corner of the SEC and common people can pretty easily connect a lot of the dots. Yet every puff of smoke seems to be buried as soon as it emerges. Every puff of smoke that comes out of Columbus turns into jumping off point and a media camping trip. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, thinking that they just like to pick on Ohio State, mostly it's just media trying to get page clicks...and as much or more than any educational institution in America, Ohio State moves the needle. We're very polarizing and have one of the absolute largest alumni populations in the country. I don't believe that nothing happens at Ohio State; I do believe that things happen everywhere. It does get kind of frustrating when you've got reporters literally camping out in Columbus digging and digging and digging in all the darkest corners looking for transgressions (which, of course they'll find) while other southern schools seem to be robbing the bank in broad daylight while everyone has their back turned. 

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

Now, I will say, maybe it's more so frustration that nothing comes of it? I mean we do hear stories come from places but nothing seems to happen. Maybe the frustration is meant more for the NCAA's enforcement (or lack there of). Really, I'd say it's both.

I do feel like PSU fell victim to some of the same kinds of things we have during the Clarett excavations, Tatt-gate excavations and the related Pryor excavations. Where media types showed up and just dug and dug. I think nationally Ohio State has more cache and high profile notoriety than PSU has had in recent years...however the potential story that was leaking out of PSU was mind blowing, story of the decade kind of stuff...of course people are going to camp out there and dig and dig for that. For Ohio State before that, some kids getting free tattoos and selling memorabilia was being attempted to be turned into the story of the decade until the stuff at PSU put things in perspective. 

nm_buck's picture

The communities rally around the teams in the south.  That's the difference.

In Columbus the press live like parasites off the successes of the team... but if there's ever a sniff of scandal they are on it like jackals. The Columbus police... hell even the CAMPUS police... they show no loyalty.  

Not saying it's a bad thing.  But that's clearly the difference.

southbay's picture

Interesting discussion here guys, thanks.

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hawaiian - what was it really like playing for Coop in the 90's and what did the players think of him?

THEOSUfan's picture

Two thoughts come to mind after reading about this:

1) It's odd that a reporter would show up at the house without contacting Bucked Up first to see if he was receptive.  But hey, people are strange sometimes, and some of them work at ESPN.

2) They used to say, "Don't pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrell."  But perhaps the internet age, where you can "publish" every day, has weakened the power of the media.  Still, ESPN can bring a lot more eyes and ears to what they publish than those who want to fight with them.  I don't respect them, but I do fear what they can do.

-1 HS
chirobuck's picture

why does anyone watch ESPN at all, I was an avid watcher ever since I was a little kid and I thought it was going to be hard to give it up but honestly I don't miss it at all now, obviously I'll still watch a live game on there but that's it

^ best post ever ^

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I watch very few shows and usually it is just highlights however you've hit the nail on the head.