Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

This year no gloves.

Tampabuckeye85's picture
April 10, 2014 at 11:30pm
28 Comments

I am not sure how many people feel the same way that I do but I hope and pray that Braxton does not wear gloves later on in the season or he spends a lot of time throwing in them. I feel like it hurt his accuracy way more than what he might have declined later in the season last year.

JakeBuckeye's picture

If a glove affects your accuracy as a quarterback you probably shouldn't be playing quarterback. Not an issue.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I don't remember seeing Braxton wear them in the earlier games - only after the weather turned. Especially the night games. I am probably wrong I just don't remember

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

The gloves affect the feel of the ball tremendously. Imagine the ace for your favorite MLB club wearing a glove on his pitching hand. Its  mandatory for some in really nasty cold weather but he continued to wear them no matter the circumstances and his accuracy seemed to suffer. He really needs to man up this year and leave the endorsements to after his tOSU days.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-2 HS
Stoicpaisano's picture

What "endorsement" do you think Miller is angling for when wearing these gloves? Nike provides gear to the whole AD, not just for Miller. And it's nothing like pitching a baseball with a huge mitt on.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Yea I have no idea how the word endorsements got into my post above. Was up late after taking a couple ambiens and have no other logical excuse besides it was suppose to be in a different comment. Yea I wasnt talking about throwing a baseball with a huge mitt on I was referring to trying to throw one with one of the same gloves a lot of the QBs are wearing these days. He did seem to be throwing great for the first half of the season without the gloves.While yes he had some good games while wearing them its kind of hard to ignore the couple pretty bad ones he had with them on also. I was perplexed when he wore them during the B1G title game that was played in a dome.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

I think so too because if you go back and look when did he start passing like shit so to speak? Right when it got cold and he started wearing gloves. If it a needed 100% then use them but at least practice so that your use to it when you do. 

-1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Kurt Warner wears both gloves. 

+1 HS
saltybuck61's picture

Teddy Bridgewater is another quarterback who throws with gloves. 

Mortc15's picture

If he's going to wear gloves, he needs to wear them all the time. You cannot just one day decide to wear them and expect to have consequences from it. If he's going to wear them, he needs to wear them from Day 1 of practice and game 1, not only when its cold. They have the hand pockets to keep hands warm between plays if he doesn't want to wear them.

Buck-I4Life

osu07asu10's picture

Some dude with a laser-rocket arm disagrees...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice find -------------- very nice find

+2 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Payton throws ducks bro. Just a more polished passer. Way more polished. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

PM's pure accuracy gets him by. Laser rocket arm? Dont think he has, and definitely not since the surgery. And It's unrealistic to compare 1 of the greatest ever to a college senior.

Buck-I4Life

saltybuck61's picture

Laser rocket arm was a reference to a Sprint commercial he did about 8 years back.

+2 HS
cdub4's picture

Some people with poor circulation, or previous exposure to frostbite, are susceptible to issues in cold weather. None of us , or most of us are not close enough to the situation to know if he needs to be wearing gloves or not.

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

The gloves making him lose accuracy is a correlation vs. causation issue. Just because the the gloves and the decreased accuracy coincided doesn't mean one caused the other. We also played the best portion of our schedule during that time. He seemed to be pretty beat up by that point in the season. He seemed to lose confidence in himself and in his receivers, to a point. All of those things likely played some factor. Tying it to him wearing gloves is probably a gross oversimplification.

Shitter's full

+4 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

One of the best ARMS I've seen was from Nate Davis.  He played for Ball State, and was the only reason Hoke had success there.  He was then drafted by the 49ers.  He played there for a couple seasons, but couldn't make it for whatever reason.  Wore gloves in high school (Bellaire, Oh), college and NFL.  Saw him throw 60 yds, while sitting on his butt.  The gloves are NOT hurting Braxton's accuracy.  Braxton's accuracy is hurting Braxton's accuracy.

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

I had to do some scouting on Davis. He couldn't make it in the Arena Football League. While good at Ball St., he was horrible after. Not the best player to base this off of.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

And what did your scouting say about Davis?  Everything I have seen and read about Davis indicating Rill Dill is right, the guy had a terrific arm and decent accuracy.  Did you see something different?  I think Nate Davis's primary issues with making it at a higher level was his understanding of an NFL playbook and overall coach-ability.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

He overcompensated for his short stature by using an awkward throwing motion. He also had a tendency to try to run before his receivers had a chance to get open. I don't have my scouting reports anymore as they are the property of a team (not NFL or collegiate). It was also a couple years ago, so I don't remember the exact report. I  mostly just remember him being very bad and easily beatable, which I hated to have to say that about him because I loved watching him in college.

edit: I also had heard similar things about his ability to pick up a playbook, although that can't be scouted through game film. I believe he also was dyslexic, which kills a QB.

OSUStu's picture

Interesting, I don't remember Davis' motion being that bad.  But that is just going on pure memory.  I do recall there being some issue with him not using the laces when gripping the ball.  And, I know that he had a documented learning disability which, of course, directly influenced his development/understanding as a QB.  I don't remember whether or not it was dyslexia.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Adam21's picture

I had scouted him after his collegiate days, so he may have changed mechanics to get over bigger lineman. I am 99% positive it was dyslexia. The only reason I won't claim 100% is because I did not hear it directly from him. And, like I said before, I loved watching him play at Ball St., just at that particular time in his career he was not very good. In fact, against the team I was scouting for, he ended up passing for 48%, 1 TD, and 1 INT. He was cut immediately after.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

With gloves:

Against Iowa- 22-27(81%) 222 yards.

Against Penn State- 18-24(75%) 252 yards.

Against Purdue- 19-23(82%) 233 yards.

Against Indiana- 11-17(65%) 160 yards.

Against Clemson- 16-24(67%) 234 yards.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

He also wore them against Illinois - 13-29 (44%) 150 yards- but I think that had more to do with the windy conditions.

Against Michigan - 6-15 (40%) 133 yards - no excuses on that one. Was at the game and the weather was damn near perfect for a November game.

Against Michigan State he only wore 1 glove on his non throwing hand - 8-22 (36%) 101 yards. 

I think the problem with Braxton isn't with the gloves, but for what ever reason Braxton's biggest struggles occurs on the road. The teams you mentioned, besides Purdue and Clemson, all occurred at home. Purdue is awful, and Clemson's defense wasn't good at all last season. 

Braxton at home - 72% completions / 15 TDS 4 INTS / 177 QB Rating

Braxton on the road - 53% completions / 9 TDS 3 INTS / 133 QB Rating

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Nate had a brother that was a definite STUD football player.  He couldn't make it, either.  I think they had un-coachable issues, as much as any other. 

OSUStu's picture

Can I assume you are referring to Jose? Are you from Bellaire?

The Rill Dill's picture

I am referring to Jose.  I am not from Bellaire.  I follow high school football pretty closely.  I know a coach that went to school/played with Jose.  Nate was probably a better basketball player, than he was a football player?  Nate's senior season (football) team was very talented, but EXTREMELY undisciplined.