Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

a little Brax/Jones trickeration..

WezBuck28's picture
April 8, 2014 at 9:38pm
26 Comments

After reading the write up on Cardale Jones, and seeing how much he has progressed as of late, it made me go back and watch some of his highlights..and then the train started rolling, I got to thinking if maybe we would see more "trick" plays brought out of the playbook..I'm talkin CJ lined up as a TE , a slot guy, or even spread out wide to receive a swing pass, and then throw one deep to one of our speedsters..Anyone else have any of the same thoughts?

**just for some clarification, what I mean by CJ taking a swing pass is having trips right, or trips left, CJ stepping back while 2 block as he catches the pass (from brax)...he then would look for a deep post down the middle...not him actually catching the pass, and then trying to bulldoze his way into the end zone from 60-70 yards out...if the pass is not there, which I dont see why it couldn't be with our outside speed, and CJ's arm, simply run for a few yards and step out of bounds..if it doesn't work, it may throw the defense?!? Who knows..just throwing that out there..

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

No thanks. We are 1 play away from Cardale Jones being our QB. No need to put him in for trick plays. 

+9 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

So were going to throw away something that could potentially help the offense because Cardale is a play away from being our QB? That doesn't make sense.... Maybe being in the games a little more will help Cardale in case he does have to take over.

LEBRON

-1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Last time I checked our offense was pretty darn explosive last year without putting Braxton and Kenny on the field at the same time. Why do we need Braxton and CJ on the field at the same time? Last thing we need is to try to run a trick play and get CJ hurt. 

+3 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Can't be afraid to get hurt, anything to improve the team.... If we're so scared about injuries why do we even field a team?

LEBRON

-1 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

If your backup QB is not better than your TE, WR, or RB, why risk injury to him and why remove the other player from the field?  Do you really want a situation where your backup gets injured, then XBrax goes out for a series or two? 

brandonbauer87's picture

If we never saw Braxton/Kenny G, there's no way Cardale gets involved. 

buckguyfan1's picture

I remember Braxton split out with Kenny under center. 

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Only as a decoy or on two-point conversions. There was a lot of talk about there being a package, but it never came to fruition. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Did you guys miss the game against Indiana?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

My guess is Urbz will have a play or 2 designed.  

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Yup. They'll run it once or twice a week in practice and dust it off when the situation calls for it.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

sivaDavis's picture

Yeah, I hope they run this formation as much as they ran the diamond formation last year...

Seriously though, draw me up a play when Cardale is in the slot and show me how it would beneficial to the team. Braxton out wide as a receiver, I guess maybe but even then, in the redzone, I'd rather have Jeff Greene or Mike Thomas out there. Plus I hated Braxton going up and over against Indiana and landing on his head. Held my breath and thanked God he got up. We have so much speed everywhere, we can let them get tricky and flashy.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

I don't think you are comprehending what I am trying to say here, nothing you said was even remotely close to what I am saying/thinking...I will edit this just to help you understand what I'm trying to say..

sivaDavis's picture

Thanks for the edit. But you said lined up in the TE position or slot and I said I just don't see how it would beneficial taking a burner off the field for another QB, mainly our backup QB.

Anyway it's the offseason, I should've been less of a dick in my post. My view is just that I'd rather have all the play makers on the field than our QB out wide. We should have some trick plays up our sleeve this year and I'd love to see it. Maybe like a double reverse or a toss back or option reverse.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

WezBuck28's picture

I did say slot, te, or split out wide...with being in the slot or te, cardale can just take a step back, catch a quick pass from brax, and then throw it...similar to being split out in trips to either side, just closer and not much blocking..anywho.. its hard to explain with out a diagram of what I'm trying to say lol

Son of Sevenless's picture

It doesn't make sense to have two quarterbacks on the field at the same time. Didn't like the idea last year, don't like it now. The team is loaded with playmakers, so why have two quarterbacks out there risking injury when there are only four on the team and the position is of critical importance? Everybody liked the goal line play where Guiton got the ball to Miller and Miller flipped onto his head into the endzone for the TD. But if he would have busted his neck or shoulder on that play, how many people would have said 'why didn't they just give the ball to Hyde?'.

WezBuck28's picture

Like it or dislike it, it is a possibility... would you be confused if you saw 2 qb's in the field at the same time unexpectedly?

Zimmy07's picture

I think it might make sense to have 2 QB's if both of them are mainly run-first type players.  The defense is not certain where to attack.

It is probably a gadget offense & OSU doesn't seem to have the need for that.

LOVEITORLEAVEIT's picture

Love it as a play to run once in the game(s) directly before scUM/SpartyPSU to give them something to think about and hopefully take valuable time out of practice to prepare for....nothing more.

OSUpawn's picture

Is this one of those ideas where you like "It would be cool if we....."  Then you really think about it and was like Nah that's not very smart.....

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+1 HS
tussey's picture

while it might be a good idea, my hope is that we are never in a position where we would need to run it.

southbay's picture

I keep wondering if someone is going to suggest using CJ to throw the "jump pass".  I thought it was really cheeseball when I saw Florida use it, but then, folks just couldn't seem to stop it, and that team was coached by the same Urban Meyer...just sayin'.

Bolt's picture

I'm gonna pistol whip the next person who uses the word "trickeration"

+2 HS