Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Noah Brown

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
April 8, 2014 at 8:26pm
22 Comments

There is a lot of talk about Johnnie Dixon.  I know Noah Brown didn't enroll early so he isn't going to be participating in spring practice.  Where is Brown going to fit into the offense this coming year?  I know there was a lot of excitement about him when he committed.  Does he end up being a redshirt?

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Redshirt is almost a certain. He might be able to help on special teams though. Im intrigued to see Terry McLarin. Kid is legit speed and skill.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

TheBadOwl's picture

Lots of people are saying that Noah Brown is going to redshirt, and despite the great depth at WR, I'm inclined to disagree. I bet Urban will stick him on special teams and on goal-line sets. He'll provide value some way.

I think Noah Brown is the single most underrated signee for our 2014 class. Not necessarily going from the actual ratings (he's a mid 4-star), but going off of the lack of hype. He is absolutely the real deal.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Terry really stood out on the field in his state championship game. Is Indiana football pretty good?

lippertini's picture

Not compared to Ohio, Pennsylvania, or the southern states.  MIddle of the road.  

Be nice to see these full rankings per capita: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-18/nfl-players-state-by-st...

+1 HS
OSUFlash's picture

Rod Smith was Mr. Football in Indiana so what does that tell you? I'm not comparing him to Noah Brown though.

osuflash

Statutoryglory's picture

Brown will prob redshirt.  I bet he ends up a TE in August and will need time to learn to block and run different routes.

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Our crop of WR's is unbelievable and once they develop they will be dynamite 

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Obviously this is my opinion, but I would be shocked if he didn't redshirt. Brown, McLaurin, and Campbell are all extremely talented players, but they're going to need a year to come in, get physically strong enough, and learn the offense. I'm actually surprised Dixons been so involved and hope he continues to excell just based on what Urban has done with our young WR in the past. Without looking at the Freshman we have: Devin Smith, Evan Spencer, Dontre Wilson, Corey Smith, Jeff Greene, Michael Thomas, and Jalin Marshall. Add Dixon to that list as an exception and I don't see anyone freshman getting real PT with those guys unless were up 40 points.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Those names on that list are absolutely scary - a defensive coordinators nightmares 

+1 HS

Just got to be able to get them the ball. Even after 3 years, I'm still not completely sold on Braxton being an efficient passer. 

+5 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I'm not sold on Braxton being the most efficient QB but he has shown HUGE strides in 3 years. Plus I wouldn't put it all on Braxton. Some of these receivers need to become go to playmakers. Plus how many times did we have to see Braxton scramble this past year. That wasn't by design it was just nobody was open. When you run your route and at the end you don't have the ball, you try your hardest to help your QB by getting open, I remember numerous times Devin Smith standing with his hands up being guarded by a DB. I think Johnnie Dixon, Corey Smith and Mike Thomas will add in some of that ability and really help Braxton out this year. I'm almost certain. Take it to the bank.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

labuck's picture

I'm not sure they're scary at all. What have any of those guys accomplished at OSU. Sure they have potential but that doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you can't produce when your name is called.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I guess I jumped the shark a bit LAbuck - I should have said after they develop and refine their skills

otrain2416's picture

LABuck they do have the talent just need to get the ball distributed to them. A combination of Braxton not being able to pass after the month of October and Herman feeding Hyde the rock every play hindered their sucess.

+2 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

I totally agree w/you LA.  The potential is definitely there but until they do it at this level (college) then it means nothing other than potential.

If these kids can live up to the hype the defensive coord. will have a serious situation on their hands

I see Campbell and McLaurin as redshirts because of their size. They'll both need to gain some weight. Gotta remember Campbell is only going to be 17 when he steps on campus. I figured Dixon and Brown would see some PT tho. I thought I read they both had pretty good physical stature coming out of high school. 

HattanBuck85's picture

I think he redshirts. And I also think he will eventually be used as a TE or H-Back. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

MacG91's picture

I read he's going to be playing a TE/WR combo type position. He's a big guy with good speed and hands. 

Mac..yeah

Humbuck's picture

He is a line up anywhere kind of guy.  Great size, solid speed and good field vision.  He is a near lock for special teams as a FR and if he learns his assignments it wouldn't be a shock to see him playing a role on the offense. 

17-18 year old kids who are 6'2 215 are usually not done growing.  Another inch or two and twenty-twenty five pounds and this kid is going to be a match up headache

m5987usus's picture

I am excited to see Noah Brown also.  I have heard that he could possibly switch to tight end which would be good also because he could create mismatches with linebackers.  I am excited for Noah to get to campus and start practicing.

O-H!

OSUpawn's picture

I'm not sure on this but I think Dixon is a speedy WR and Brown will be our big WR which are 2 different positions.  I see Brown being redshirt and getting some size.

I am no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time....

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

sivaDavis's picture

Brown is a big WR people. People see 6'2 and maybe scoff but that's pretty big. 6'2 is still pretty damn good size for a WR. I could see him getting around 6'3 6'4 and around 230 and being a pretty good TE hybrid type. Kinda like that kid from TTUN.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes