Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Preseason SOS rankings. Bama has one of the weakest schedules in the country.

AngryWoody's picture
April 5, 2014 at 8:00pm
54 Comments

Just to start this off, these SOS numbers are preseason so they are subject to change and won't be completely accurate. They're not meant to be the end-all-be-all but more like a measuring stick and meant to have little fun/discussion as we grind through this brutal off-season.

Ohio State checks in at number 34, which is much better than last year and puts us in GREAT shape to make the playoffs if we do well.

FSU #47

Auburn #18

Bert's Piggies #1 Look forward to (hopefully) watching him inch closer to the hot seat.

Rutgers #9 - I list them because they have the hardest schedule in the B1G and went 6-7 against a crap schedule. It's gonna be ugly if they don't get a lot better.

This one blows my mind. Alabama #95. This is absolutely horrible. This makes our schedule last year look like a murderer's row. The truth is that with a schedule like this even if Bama goes undefeated they shouldn't be playing for a championship. Well, any other team most likely wouldn't be playing in the final four, but they are Bama so who knows. I'm just curious to see how much we hear about how bad their schedule is because we had to hear about it ENDLESSLY

These are the NCAA's SOS numbers and I got them here

Seattle Linga's picture

I have a feeling that espin will pull the old "Keep Going - Nothing To See Here Folks" and not even mention it ............ Where as if it were us, it would be their lead story especially on college game day. Bama's a joke!!!!!!

+8 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Not only will you not hear even a cunts whisper about it,they will use the old "well they play a tough sec schedule" to cover it up. Not sure how Ta&m,Lsu,USCe,and Gawga are all borderline top 10 teams either. Their bias makes me want to grab a 30/30 with a scope  and get to picking folks off from long range.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hey Groveport ............. forgive me if I never mention that post in mixed company - HAHA

+2 HS

Hah my bad buddy I got a tad overzealous,I'll probably have a ABC unit knocking on my door soon.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

No worries            a little ribbing is all it is............

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Bert might have a hard time doubling the win total. 

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

He'll need karma to pull that off.

Or nevermind.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Jen has him covered. 

Bert pulled off the biggest fraud in all of College football..This year that all comes home to roost. He might be lucky to get a D-2 job in 2016.

BROSEPH's picture

Alabama's is 95th hardest in the country? Okay..

Aug. 30 West Virginia Atlanta, Georgia
Sept. 6 Florida Atlantic Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 13 Southern Miss Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 20 *Florida Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 4 *at Ole Miss Oxford, Mississippi
Oct. 11 *at Arkansas Fayetteville, Arkansas
Oct. 18 *Texas A&M Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 25 *at Tennessee Knoxville, Tennessee
Nov. 8 *at LSU Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Nov. 15 *Mississippi State Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 22 Western Carolina Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 29 *Auburn Bryant-Denny Stadium

Those bolded games alone make it a tough schedule.  

Florida, WVU, Tennessee, and Miss State are probably going to be tougher games than what their record shows.  I would say that Bama and OSU's schedule are comparable in difficulty.  But don't let me interrupt the circle jerk.

Southern Miss, Western Carolina, and FAU are cakewalks though.

-10 HS
Roger's picture

Three tough games with a bunch of cakewalks in between (and conveniently scheduled so there is the perfect amount of time to plan and rest for the tough games) does not a difficult schedule make. 

+13 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Not sure if you misspelled two or were actually counting Ole Miss or the horrible Tx a&m defense that lost their offense. They have 2 tough games LSU and Auburn. I fully anticipate them losing both.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I could see Bama losing to LSU since it's on the road. Losing to Auburn? Nope. The Tigers lost their top RB, and the game will be in Tuscaloosa.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

BROSEPH's picture

Implying that OSU's schedule this year is any different.  

VA Tech, Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan are touch with the Kent State, Illinois, Rutgers etc. in between.

Is it a better schedule? Probably, is it a gauntlet? Not at all.  I've seen posters on this site say that the MSU game will be the only real test.  Well if you think that, then it's not the most difficult schedule.  

-4 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

You're grossly overrating a few teams on Bama's schedule, and then greatly underrating the byes prior to their 2 toughest games (yes, scheduling Western Carolina prior to the Auburn game is pretty much a bye). They also get a bye before that vaunted matchup with Ole Miss, a team that they almost never lose to. You actually bolded the Ole Miss game, LOL!!

That list was put together by an SEC homer site. And even THEY had to call it like they saw it - Bama's schedule is even easier than their cakewalk last year. Sorry, broseph, you're not gonna get anywhere with this.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+4 HS
Catch 5's picture

So it is unfair that Bama has a bye before LSU?  The same LSU who has a bye before playing Bama?  And unfair that they have an easy game before playing Auburn - who plays Samford before playing Bama?  Or the Bye before Ole Miss, who has a bye, then Memphis before playing Bama?

Yeah, seems completely unfair to me.

Look, I'm not gonna claim Bama's schedule is the toughest out there, but looking at OSU's, there's no way it's any worse than theirs (and imo, it is tougher than theirs).  There isn't a team that should give you guys any trouble before that November 8th tilt against Mich State, and won't be tested again until Michigan.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

IGotAWoody's picture

It's pretty hilarious that you failed to acknowledge that those are all SEC teams! The mighty SEC, who finely crafts their programs to ensure that their top teams have favorable schedules. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. (FYI, this year, that means LSU and Auburn, too get the benefit of byes prior to their two biggest conference games). The SEC gives the entire league the week prior to the final game of the season to schedule a cupcake. Auburn plays Samford (and Son), LSU has a BYE prior to their last game.

For comparison's sake, here's OSU's schedule. A few things stand out: First, we play 2 of our toughest games ON THE ROAD (Bama has ONE tough road game, as it's been pointed out already - According to last year's records, and more importantly, every sane (read: NON SEC) fan's eyeballs, Sparty was better than LSU last year). Second, our bye weeks are the week before Cinci, and prior to the Rutgers game.

I didn't even need to mention the disparity in the out of conference!

Aug 30 TBA at Navy Baltimore, Md.
Sep 06 TBA Virginia Tech Columbus, Ohio
Sep 13 TBA Kent State Columbus, Ohio
Sep 20 Bye Bye Bye
Sep 27 TBA Cincinnati Columbus, Ohio
Oct 04 TBA at Maryland College Park, MD
Oct 18 TBA Rutgers Columbus, Ohio
Oct 25 TBA at Penn State State College, Pa.
Nov 01 TBA Illinois Columbus, Ohio
Nov 08 TBA at Michigan State East Lansing, MI
Nov 15 TBA at Minnesota Minneapolis, MN
Nov 22 TBA Indiana Columbus, Ohio
Nov 29 TBA Michigan Columbus, Ohio
Dec 06 TBA B1G Championship Game Indianapolis, IN

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

Wow you honestly took him up top on that one. Our games are a lot tougher then Bamas specifically out of conference where we play 3 solid teams.@PSU @Minn @MSU is going to sort out the fake from the real. No extra time to rest or game plan its a weekly meat grinder. If we scheduled Miami of Ohio before *ichigan we would get crucified by the media,but when they all do it its a positive for helping out the schedulers to fit more prime time BS late in the season.Florida actually lost their late year bye against Southern Georgia,I imagine that wont be the last sec powerhouse to do so.

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

It's pretty hilarious that you failed to acknowledge that those are all SEC teams!

Of Course they were.  The point I was responding to was that it was favoritism that Bama has a bye before their toughest opponents (who happen to be SEC teams).  I am simply pointing out that those very opponents have the same consideration before the game.  If Bama has a bye before LSU, but LSU also has a bye before Bama, who benefits more?  If Bama plays a patsy before Auburn while Auburn plays a patsy before Bama, who is given the greater advantage?

...ensure that their top teams have favorable schedules. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Well ... except maybe 2010.  Bama was coming off of a national championship and had a preseason #1 ranking.  I guess you would agree that they were considered one of the SEC's top teams.  They started SEC play that year with #10 Arkansas, #7 Florida, and a #19 South Carolina that started a run of 6 straight opponents for the Tide who were coming off of byes:  USCe, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Miss State, and Auburn.  4 of those 6 were ranked teams, including the eventual champions.

First, we play 2 of our toughest games ON THE ROAD (Bama has ONE tough road game..)

And who is that?  Michigan State I'll grant you (though I expect a bit of a drop-off from the Spartans this year).  What is the other?  Penn State?  Surely you don't mean the team you beat by 49 points last year -  I mean, not if you are unwilling to count Ole Miss as a tough away game for Bama.

...Sparty was better than LSU last year

You won't get much debate from anybody on that.  I don't expect them to be better this year, however.  LSU has a ton of talent.  They are built to reload and their down years are 3-4 losses and come around every 3-4 years.  They will always be among the top teams because of the wealth of talent they bring in every year.  Mich State is not built this way.  They have very meager recruiting, meaning their good years are a result of hidden talent and good developmental coaching.  These are the type of teams that are suseptable to up and down years depending on who graduates and moves on.  I'm not saying they are going to drop off the face of the earth, just that they aren't going to be as good as last year.  LSU will be.

Let's expand your excercise.  How about we compare the top teams on each schedule and see how that works:

1.  Auburn vs Michigan State - Both were very good last year but Auburn lost a close game in the championship game while MSU won the Rose against a good Stanford Team.  I want to give the edge to Auburn (AU doesn't lose as much as MSU in my opinion), but you B10 guys probably want MSU here.  Let's call this one a draw.
  2.  LSU vs. Michigan - I went with Michigan because they gave ya'll the best game and I think they are getting better.  LSU wins this one easily though.
  3.  Ole Miss vs. Virginia Tech - Ole Miss beat Vandy, Texas and LSU, but lost to Miss State.  Va Tech beat Miami, Ga Tech, and N Carolina but lost to Boston College and Maryland.  Both will be better this year but Ole Miss will be the better team.
  4.  Tennessee vs Penn State - Yes, I think Tennessee is getting better and will get noticed next year.  Look for them to return to a bowl game and finish 3rd or maybe even 2nd in the East.  Penn State is a dumpster fire.  BOB did a great job of holding it together but I still feel that State is a powder keg.  That said, Franklin is a great hire so it may not explode on them as bad as I think - and Franklin has beaten Tn the last two years with Vandy, so I have to concede this one to State.
  5.  Texas A&M or Florida vs Cincinnati - Sorry, the rest of that B10 schedule is pretty lame.  It is a good thing OSU has a good OOC schedule.  Cincy plays in a crap conference but had a good record last year and is coached by Tubby, who can be good when he wants to be.  I expect Tamu to drop like a rock, but everyone says Sumlin is a great coach and will have them competing again.  Conversely, I expect Florida to return to decency as there is too much talent for them to continue losing to Div II teams while most expect Muschamp to be fired this year.  One of these teams should end up being better than Cincinnati (my money is on Florida)

Now, if Bama or OSU loses to anyone else on their schedules this argument is useless.  No one else on either schedule is worthy of being considered a threat at this point, whether that be a sorry Div II school or a conference team like Indiana.  Top 10 programs like OSU and Bama don't lose to those teams, regardless.  Now look at the comparisons above.  At best they are even and I would argue that Bama has a slightly tougher row to hoe.  That's not to say it is a terribly difficult schedule.  I agree that it is not - but neither is the Buckeyes'.  Both only have 4 away games in conference, and while both only have 1 top-10 opponent (from last year's rankings), Bama has (only) 2 other top-25 finishers compared to none for OSU.  Let's face it, neither of these are particularly daunting.

-2 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Dude, this post goes on and on, and doesn't seem to have a shred of good, factual info to relate. I'm sorry, but I'm guessing that no one is reading your dissertation. I'll sum it up for the others: According to Catch 5, everyone in the SEC will be a little better than they were last year, everyone in the B1G will be a little worse. Biased analysis? Just a tad.

It might've been a good idea for you to respond to the fact that your SEC homer website is where Bama's schedule ranking was posted. In fact, it would make a whole of a lot more sense for you to go on THAT site and make your Bama homer argument, rather than HERE, on an OSU site, where very few people are likely to agree with you.

+2 HS

Texas a&m lost their magical QB and top 10 WR...Their whole offense. Now they all of a sudden are considered a annual heavy weight?

+9 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

DV for forgetting to use the sarcasm font....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

-1 HS

Oct. 4 *at Ole Miss Oxford, Mississippi

51–8–2. That's Bama's record against Ole Miss. The last time the Tide lost to them was '03.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+7 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Oh okay, so they should just not play the game since Ole Miss can't win.  They were a solid team last year and that was with a lot of juniors and sophomores playing.  

-3 HS

They were solid, and still couldn't score a single point on Bama. Even Georgia State managed 3.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Broseph - you're the one who put the team name in Bold - then below in the same post you reference them being a tough team.

Can we end this pissing match?

+2 HS
chadb5646's picture

Wow, "circle jerk"? Sounds like sour grapes to me....

+4 HS

Yea I think Bama could lose 2 games but if they win their division and the sec title game they are in the playoff. You will not hear a peep about this on espin. Last year we won a high scoring game 60-35  and all the talk was about our struggles,but Bama struggled to beat Miss st  20-7 in a very close game and we heard what a workman like gritty performance it was. Their bias is real and it sways opinions of sheeple that do not know any better.

+15 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The casual fan that hears that on espin really believes that pile of dung.

+3 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

sheeple...... classic :)

+5 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I watched that Bamer-Miss St. game. The better Miss St. QB got hurt at some point. Miss St. kept going for it on 4th instead of kicking FGs. It probably would have been another story had they kicked FGs anad not lost their QB.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

nikolajz1's picture

Ehhh I dont think were one to complain about this. It very likely Florida, West Virginia, and Tennesee have way better records than last year. Plus they play Auburn and LSU which is easily better than any two teams were going to play next year minus maybe MSU. 

-2 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/03/watch_nick_saban_rej...

Saban's most recent rant about the word "perception" ... found it quite funny considering perception is what got bama into the title game vs lsu a few years back. In the world of CFB, this guy has to be the biggest tool of all time.....

+3 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

This is clearly Saban lowering the amount of tough games because of safety... 

LEBRON

+8 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Preseason SOS is far different than what the SOS will look like by the end of the year. Too many times we've seen teams that were supposed to provide us with a boost, go off and have terrible years, like Northwestern last year. Also, the SEC bias will hold true in the media and further enhance SEC-favored SOS, so expect Bama's to drastically improve.

+3 HS

Anyone else wish we could schedule a virtual bye like West Carolina the week before The Game? And throw in a bye before MSU and we are set.Most teams around the Country play their tougher games at the end of the year. Why every year does it look like Saban actually made his own schedule? We get blasted last year for playing Indiana a actual football squad late in the season and hear how it could drop us while Bama gets to play South West Carolina St.? Hopefully this playoff levels the field a little.

+2 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

All $ec teams play FBS teams late (2nd or 3rd to last game) in their season. They schedule these games to have an easy game before their rivals. Wish we could do that.....but then again I like to play REAL teams before THE GAME (we played Wis. a couple of years ago). Wasn't Ala.'s FBS game against a team that went 1-10 or 2-9 against FBS teams? A glorified scrimmage against a team that is worse than their own walk-ons.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

Well you do play Indiana this year so...

-3 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Yeah, an actual conference team. As opposed to playing Western Carolina. Dude, you're not very good at this.

+4 HS
Zimmy07's picture

Indiana's offense could beat almost any team having a bad day on offense against their terrible defense.

hit_the_couch's picture

I think you mean FCS teams late.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Espin covered for the sec and said its.part of a new scheduling dynamic the sec is doing so they can get more of their late season and more important games into the prime time slots. Bunch of BS if you ask me.Its more like providing their power teams a chance to get healthy and have an extra week to gameplan before playing in a game they could actually lose.It wont be long before we start seeing sec teams schedule a FBS team the very last week so they can rest up for the conference championship game.

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Well you don't really know how the SOS will work out until the end of the season.  No one expected Cal to be god awful last year which killed our SOS... Va Tech looks to be our best OOC game, but they're replacing their QB and other key guys... should still have a stingy D though, but they could end up having a below standard season for them (7-5 range) which wouldn't exactly boost our SOS, but it should be better than anything we had last season.

+3 HS

Funny thing is SDSU, and Buffalo turned out to be a lot better than we thought.

+1 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture

But they lost to Ohio State so they automatically suck.

Brady Hoke ate my comment

+5 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

2016 and 2017 may be our hardest schedules we've had in a while..

2016:  @Oklahoma, @Wisky, @PSU, @MSU, @Maryland (may be more consistent by this year)  then home games vs: tSUN, Neb, NW, Indy, Rut... also vs Tulsa and BG which are two teams who can surprise every now and then.

2017: @Indy, @UNC, @IA, @tsun, @Neb @Rut, then home games vs: Oklahoma, PSU, MSU, Maryland. 

I'd suspect our SOS those years to be pretty good.

+4 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

Speaking of 'Bama....where the heck is Bama Mike? He's a good dude.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

While I love anyone trying to knock Bama down a few notches and talking about anything football related during the offseason, I just look forward to Ohio St taking care of their own business, running the table to 13-0 and letting the play on the field speak for itself to get to the playoff. I'll worry about who the other playoff teams are when OSU has a spot at the table.

Nevertheless, 95th toughest schedule?! But they play in the SEC.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Bamer usually does have a pretty weak schedule. Sometimes they even backdoor their way into an MNCG they don't belong in..

+2 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

this is impossible.  they play in the SEC.

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

-1 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture

Brady Hoke ate my comment

dubjayfootball90's picture

BROSEPH 5 APR, 2014 @ 10:05 PM 

But don't let me interrupt the circle jerk.

Did I miss the circle jerk? I think I am about a month-and-a-half late...

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

THEOSUfan's picture

The thing that burns me up, and I think Ohio State, B1G, and CFB fans outside of the SEC is the perception/reality that non-SEC conferences get picked to death about weak schedules or whatever, but the same standard does not apply to the SEC - and the sole reason seems to be that they are the SEC.

What would be said if Ohio State (or insert non-SEC school) got plowed under by Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl?  "They weren't ready for that level of competition.  There's major things lacking in that program.  They don't have enough heart, talent, coaching, blah, blah, blah."  Alabama gets embarrassed by Oklahoma and they will be pre-season #1 in a lot of polls and publications.  Their last game literally means nothing negative about them.  That double standard is tiresome and irritating.

That's why a weak SOS and a loss or two will not affect  Alabama, or whoever the SEC champion is - because they are the SEC - and we can never let any facts get in the way of them having their rightful place at the top.

+1 HS