Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ohio Stadium Renovations: Update

osu07asu10's picture
April 3, 2014 at 7:06pm
21 Comments

Didn't see anything on here recently and I know we had a topic started on the stadium renovations before the site switch. I said I would update guys as I got information from the facilities guys...

Well, both projects are underway and neither of them will impact the spring game.  As it has been in the past, south stands will not be open for the game. There is some scaffolding (limited), fencing, and yellow fencing in the stands around where the seats/construction will happen but all in all nothing major.

Lights, minor prep has started but the majority of the project will be completed during the summer and is not nearly as intensive as the south stands construction.

I will post a few pictures in the next few days, plan on swinging by to take a look myself!

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Count me among those that would rather not see the south stands closed up.....but lights are about 15 years overdue

Earle's picture

I think they should just use the Crew's stadium this season and, you know, just get everything ready for 2015 when Braxton's back.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

You never disappoint Coach, truly.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

The new move with the south stands, for anyone worried, is not 'closing' it up, but just making the spaces between the stands and the east and west stands into tunnels…will definitely make the pre game team entrance a little cooler because you won't be able to see them coming out of the locker room like before…couple thousand more seats doesn't hurt either, it should still have the horseshoe look…id be completely shocked if they ever got rid of that, such a traditional element of OSU football 

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

The new move with the south stands, for anyone worried, is not 'closing' it up, but just making the spaces between the stands and the east and west stands into tunnels…

BIngo. From what I have heard from the guys at the stadium, they are all very excited for how it will look when it is all done. These guys are all protective of the shoe and it's look too. Some old timers who've been keeping the stadium beautiful for decades.

will definitely make the pre game team entrance a little cooler because you won't be able to see them coming out of the locker room like before…

Somewhat true but not really. They have/had the tunnel that was about 1/3 of the SE corner ramp that separated South stands and the rest of the stadium. Even with the new stands that will cover up most of the ramp, they will have to walk out of the locker room and out towards the gates of the stadium and take a hard right towards the tunnel and whatever is a new tunnel. If you are standing outside the stadium, in the concourse, or sitting in sections 30A, 32B, 28B, and 30C you will still be able to see them.

Deadly Nuts's picture

I still want a second deck on the south stands.

LEBRON

johnblairgobucks's picture

The Shoe has under gone great improvements over the years.  My first game, there were huge bleachers in the open end, a track around the field and astro turf.  Capacity was around 87,000, I believe.  Though I do miss the tailgating in the old St. John's parking lot, Hineygate and yester-year's ticket prices and availability, today's stadium is a much better atmosphere.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Though I do miss the tailgating in the old St. John's parking lot, Hineygate and yester-year's ticket prices and availability, today's stadium is a much better atmosphere.

Not ready to go to bat for it yet, but the facilities guys seem to think this is going to make the shoe hold sound even better, even the lights will help to some effect. Bottom line, they think the shoe will definitely be noisier with the additional seats plus closing the open area in.

Deadly Nuts's picture

BEHOLD!!!!! My 10 minute MS Paint rendering of what a second deck on the south stands would look like!

LEBRON

+13 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Upvotes galore DN - that is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M Man's picture

What scares me about this (apart from the fact that OSU fans living in Cincinnati could walk to the game and sit in those upper-upper D-deck seats) is that the bigger your stadium gets, the bigger ours will get because nobody at Michigan is going to let you be bigger.  It is an arms race that I deplore.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

In all honesty though, I don't see our stadium coming close to yours capacity wise. Our stadium currently seats about 102,500 but we normally get ~105,000 every game. This seat addition will put us at ~105,000 but I imagine we'll put about ~107,000-108,000 depending on the opponent. Your stadium is at 110,000 capacity but can get to 115,000 if there's a good opponent.

KBonay's picture

...or they put a team together capable of going better than 8-5 or 7-6

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

I posted elsewhere (OSU Collectibles thread) but wanted to post this one here as well, my original 1922 Ohio Stadium Dedication Panoramic (measures 10 x 44) (I've typed my info on it because people just love to copy original items and sell as reprints) :

1922 Stadium Dedication

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

Suck-Et Conference (SEC) sucks.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

I love stuff like this.  Thank you.

I go to a lot of games in Ohio Stadium.  I love them all.  Especially Michigan victories.  My first was the 22-0 pantsing we delivered to Coach Hayes in Columbus in 1976, when I was a Michigan undergrad.  I was in awe of the place.  There were temporary bleachers in the south end as I recall.  Temporary but not so temporary.  But what I really liked -- and what I will forever cherish -- is that I saw the 'Shoe as an actual structural horseshoe.  It is such a great place.  And yours is such a great game day experience.  I'd tell you how much you all should be so proud of your university but you hardly need to hear that from me, do you?

Of course we helped you dedicate it.  The 1922 dedication game was a 19-0 Michigan win in which Michigan's Harry Kipke scored a touchdown and handed the ball to one of the referees, saying, "Well, the place is really dedicated now."

-2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Been almost 15 seasons since the mighty vulvarines have beaten us in Columbus,now that is truly a great feeling.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Thanks man!

I season my simple food with hunger

jmacaulay17's picture

I did a little searching on Twitter a few days ago and found a couple people tweet pictures of the progress. Nothing much here, but thought I would post them anyways! Very curious to how it turns out when it's all said and done.

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

To go along with the panoramic I posted earlier, here are some photos of mine that show the actual 1920 and 1921 construction in progress:

1920 and 1921

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

Suck-Et Conference (SEC) sucks.

+2 HS
jmacaulay17's picture

I was walking by the stadium today and decided to check out the progression of the stadium expansion. Here are a few pictures I took. Looking good!

Man, was it great being back in our beautiful stadium.  Can't wait until August!

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Nice work. You obviously entered through gate 23! Ha!

I am quite pleased with how the South Stands are looking