Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

BroJim's picture

Did he really bring it "all on himself"? I think not

I season my simple food with hunger

-9 HS
stevebelliseeya's picture

How did he not? I'm not sure what you mean. Wasn't it his choice to traffic drugs and possess firearms? Or is there something I'm missing?

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+10 HS
OSUStu's picture

Like Small's father said, it is Tressel's fault for "intentionally trying to blow his career."

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

The system is set up for Black Men and other Men of color to fail..  Read The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander, she is law professor at OSU. Alexander's book is a poignant study on mass incarceration in America; she explains, in depth, the predatory nature of the War on Drugs and it's effect on People of Color. 

-5 HS
stevebelliseeya's picture

I don't care what color man you are, 800+ pills and 20 grams of heroin (not to mention firearms) is going to get you in a smidge of trouble. 

I understand the point you are making, but all evidence points to that not applying to this particular situation Holmes. 

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

Of course it will get you in trouble, but we were discussing choice. I simply pointed out the fact that because he is a man of color he may not have had a choice.

Anyway, I'm done with this. 

-5 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Some people may not have a lot of choices, but Ray Small isn't one of them.  He had the talent to play in the NFL and even if didn't make a roster, having a degree from Ohio State and playing football for them, opens doors not available to other people.  He could have been a hero in Ohio.

elitesmithie's picture

Why dont we hear Asians, or other ethic backgrounds have the same problems? As long as people think other people control their situation they won't take responsibility to better theirs because its someone elses fault they are there./End Rant

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Agenda-setting theory: the idea that the media controls what we see and influences our opinion. One of many explanations to your question. 

-1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I don't care what you, or some liberal professor says, (even if she's from OSU)...you need to quit blaming the problems of the inner-city communities in this country on other people.

Over 80% ! of African-Americans born today are born out of wedlock. Those deadbeat fathers need to look themselves in the mirror. And other supposed and prominent African-American leaders need to step up and tell it like it is, instead if race-baiting for political reasons.

-1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking.  The issue with our current society is that no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions.  I'm sorry, you do stupid stuff like sell drugs to raise funds to open a day care (OK, wait, slow down and read that sentence out loud)...  <<< THIS. 

Did he bring it on himself?  YES!

Who's fault is it?  Mine?  Yours?  Society?  REALLY?

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

@BroJim --- yep, you're probably right. It was likely "the man's" fault that Ray Small sold drugs and got into a shitload of trouble. Anybody but the criminal himself is responsible for his own actions.

Sadly, that's the mindset of many people in today's day and age.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Do you think that might be sarcasm?

Nevermind, I just saw the username in the first comment. My apologies.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

BroJim's picture

Ha- I'm happy you see me in this light, thank you!

route4buckeye's picture

Obviously the drugs and weapons were planted. He is innocent.

+6 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Small needs to find a glove that doesn't fit.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Urban's fault, obviously.

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

A real shame.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

He lucked out that the other 3 years he received will run concurrent with this and the gun charge didn't stick. A gun charge alone is like a mandatory 4 or 5 years. He'll likely get out in 18-24 months especially being only a drug charge. Hopefully he can turn his life around.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+4 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

You sound like you know the situation pretty closely? I myself received multiple charges but copped out to a felonious assualt with a added "3" year gun "spec" When I went down in 2001 gun specs carried anywhere from 3-6 years added on to each charge. If the crime you committed wasnt violent and you didnt use the gun then the spec was usually dropped. He received a very stiff sentence for a small time drug dealer that happened to be carrying a weapon for protection. I know multiple people that have been caught with more drugs and guns then Mr Small and received probation because they had money put up for a top notch lawyer. He didnt get off easy Ill tell you that.4 years of your life? And he didnt have anything violent in his charges? There are child molesters that get a lot less time then 4 years. 

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

The Rill Dill's picture

His Dad said he didn't do it.

+3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

So did Sandusky's wife...

+2 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

He's damn lucky this was ALL HE GOT......

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Hopefully he doesnt get placed in Noble for his 4 years. I have a buddy still there and kids from the Northern part of Ohio are taking serious beatings for a riot started by a Cleveland group. Its not a fun place to spend a hour even if you are one of the biggest knuckleheads in your class. We can all google "Ohio Prisons" and do a offender search for the next few days to see which facility he lands at. I like Ray Small and while he made some bad choices I do not think he deserved 4 years in a hard facility. Hopefully he goes to a more northern facility and get get a judicial release with good behavior.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Seattle Linga's picture

So much talent - so little used

Il_Padrino's picture

Now, all this being said, kid played wonderfully for the Buckeyes and it sucks that he has made so many poor decisions since leaving school.  May he find some sense of reality that crime in fact does not pay and use the terrible situation to have a "Maurice Clarett" moment of creativity and positivity while incarcerated and upon leaving out from his sentence.  Small screwed up and will pay for it, as fans of the game, we all should at a minimum add him to our prayers so that he may see a better life and be kept safe as possible while in prison.

In case some of you weren't aware, Marice Clarett has run past his prior issues and has turned in to an amazing and inspirational speaker that is full of positive life and energy, he is doing many great things and may others follow in his footsteps: http://mauriceclarettonline.com/

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!