Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Braxton Miller Red Shirt (Speculation)

USMC11917's picture
April 3, 2014 at 9:55am
53 Comments

I know there are reasons that this absolutely will not happen. I am just thinking out loud here. From a fans outlook and strictly for the benefit of The Ohio State University, I believe this would be an outstanding situation to find ourselves in. I am not discarding this season and I anxiously await it but I want to see Braxton at his best and I think that after missing out on the entire spring he will be rusty at the beginning of the year. I would like to see him take his time to recover and continue to absorb the mental aspect of the game. I think that would be what is best for his future but I understand his family situation and the need to start providing more than a college student on scholarship can. Can you imagine our young team with another year of experience and Braxton returning to lead it?

What are the communities thoughts on this? If this has been discussed on here previously, forgive me. I haven't been on the site recently.

InTressITrust's picture

I believe this post is two days late.  I do not think any of our current QBs are ready to start for us this year.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+13 HS
southbay's picture

Well, my calendar says today is April 3.

Not losing any sleep.

+2 HS
Nutinpa's picture

I understand the logic of the OP, but do not see this happening at all. 

I believe that the ONLY reason Miller came back for this season, is that he wasn't healthy enough to perform at the NFL combine. Had he never been injured, he'd be gone  (he never admitted that, but he may as well have) especially knowing he has a green O line and no Carlos Hyde next year.  But to sit out the year to get healthy, is just not going to happen.  Yes, he surely could have used the reps this spring, but unless his injury and recovery are more serious or take longer than expected, he should be good to go this summer well before camp opens in August.  

And besides, it is clear that Jones and Barrett need all the reps they can get, so in a strange way, Miller's sitting out this spring, clearly benefits them and maybe even the team...as they will surely play this fall to some extent, so they better be ready.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I'm pretty sure scouts and teams would be more concerned with Miller's arm issues rather than a sprained knee.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
d5k's picture

This should've been the only reply in this thread imo.

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

I believe that the ONLY reason Miller came back for this season, is that he wasn't healthy enough to perform at the NFL combine. 

That.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

He wasn't healthy enough OR prepared to compete IN the NFL.  He would have been far down the QB selection list for teams and he will make enormous amounts of $$$$ by remaining one more year in school to learn to be an even better QB. 

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I think we should also go ahead and redshirt Spence, because instead of only getting a solid 9+ games out of him, we could get maybe a whole season! The surgery he had is minor compared to other injuries, and he may have been able to give the Spring Game a go if it was needed. Although he still needs to improve the mental parts of the game, having him sit a year would completely mess up the progress he has made with the physical side of things. I think his passing can improve still as he seriously lacks touch, but for the most part his is a much more confident QB throwing all over the field. Physically, I think Braxton is what you see, he won't improve that much, mentally, he has now has 2 full seasons and 2.5 off seasons to work on that. Although the thought is somewhat interesting in respect to how ridiculous it is, redshirting wouldn't have any positives IMO. On top of all that, I would not want to see Cardale or JT be the #1 going into the year right now, Cardale has apparently realised what throwing the football is, and JT is still very raw. I think Guiton's absence will be extremely noticeable this season, not just because he was a senior leader, but because the drop off from #1 to #2 QB is so steep between Braxton and Cardale/JT. 

+4 HS
Barnsey69's picture

I understand what you're saying here, but Miller has all of fall camp and the other training he is doing on his own (assuming this is/will happen) to get back in game shape.

I think he will be ready. Not gonna worry until UFM says so.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

tennbuckeye19's picture

My first thought after reading the OP: If Miller isn't ready for the season OSU is screwed. Neither back-up sounds like they're ready to take over at this point. 

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Well it is only April. I'm sure Herman could have one of the "backups" ready by then. Hell one of them was gonna be the starter if Braxton left.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

1.) Miller's surgery was not serious

2.) If he is going to be "rusty" because he missed spring ball, wouldn't he be downright oxidized after sitting out for a whole year?

Only way this would happen is if he suffers a season ending injury in fall practice or the first few games of the year and it would be a medical redshirt only out of necessity.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+12 HS
Nutinpa's picture

You do know the definition of surgery that "is not serious", don't you?

The surgery....the someone other than you/me go through....LOL.  

While there won't be any redshirt.....he will have to heal the entire spring and then be ready for 7 - 7's (or whatever they do in unofficial drills) this summer. 

I think Miller will be fine ....and he'll need every rep he can get going into and beyond August.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

You do know the definition of surgery that "is not serious", don't you?

The surgery....the someone other than you/me go through....LOL.  

Touche. I get what you're saying but it isn't like he tore his labrum, had tommy john surgery, ACL surgery with 7-9 months of recovery. He had "minor, outpatient" shoulder surgery, a scope if you will.

I broke the orbital  bone in my face, had surgery to insert a plate and 3 screws and was playing basketball that weekend. Surgery is a very broad term. Braxton will be just fine, better than before actually.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
M Man's picture

All your guys get red shirts.  At least that's what I thought...

+35 HS
dancorona5's picture

your eyes may need to be checked as I only see scarlet in this image

+23 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

I see what you did there.  +1

+4 HS
vitaminB's picture

Caption Contest:

Who wants to taste the blood of Devin Gardner?

+5 HS
M Man's picture

Caption Contest:

Who wants to give M Man a helmet sticker?  Raise your hands.

+9 HS
rdubs's picture

For some reason this picture reminds me of this: 

Let's get it on!

+1 HS
BUCKI06's picture

I can't tell you how many drunken nights were spent watching this show when I was at OSU.  

Damn you for making me be unproductive the rest of the day, because now I have to go re-watch episodes.

"As long as we're keeping score, we're gonna try to win this thing." - UFM

Knarcisi's picture

Caption:

Who wants donuts for showing up for game day?

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Scarlet shirts*...there is a difference ya know...a few hue points here or there.

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
rWill22's picture

*Raise your hands if you want Braxton as your quarterback next year*

+3 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Too bad I can't upvote you, my one hand was in the air and my other hand was busy....

LEBRON

+2 HS
M Man's picture

I might like Braxton as my quarterback.  I'll raise my hand.  But since that ain't going to happen, I will say the same prayer as I did last year at this time: Lord, please let Braxton and all of his teammates, and Devin and all of his teammates, be healthy and ready to play on Saturday, November 29.

I upvoted every post above this one.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He must like AA. Every time he plays there, he lights them up.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
OSUFlash's picture

I've been out of college for almost 3 decades and my reflexes and timing are still great in the front yard. I'm pretty sure Braxton is a better athlete than me.

No spring ball = no problem. He'll be throwing with his receivers all summer long.

osuflash

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I doubt missing just spring ball will make him rusty. Its not like he will have to jump into a game without any practice time at all. Plus, I think he does fine when coming off injury right into a game. He certainly wasn't horrible in the Wisky game last year.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
Denny's picture

I know there are reasons that this absolutely will not happen.

You sure you know this?

Taquitos.

m5987usus's picture

No. Just NAH.

O-H!

+1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I dont think he actually means "Lets redshirt Brax!" That would be ridiculous. But looking at who we have back next year, it would be spectacular if Braxton could somehow be back as well. He would be the missing link on what could possibly be a championship team even without him. 

Offence: Loses - Heuerman, Baldwin, Spencer, D. Smith, R. Smith

Returning - Elliot, Dunn, Decker, Elflin, Boron, Price, Underwood, Dodson, Vannet, Baugh, Thomas, Marshal, Green, Dixon, C. Smith, Wilson... Add in Brax and that is unbelievable for a returning offence.

Defense: Loses - C. Grant, D. Grant, Bennett

Returning - Spence, Washington, Bosa, Schutt, (A ton of other d-line talent), Perry, Lee, McMillan, Booker, Powell, Bell, Reeves, Conley, Burrows, Apple and others...

While I think we will be very good yet again this year, next year looks like THE year, so it would be amazing to have a 4 yr starting, Heisman caliber QB running the show.  

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

While I think we will be very good yet again this year, next year looks like THE year, so it would be amazing to have a 4 yr starting, Heisman caliber QB running the show. 

I agree with what you're saying, but don't forget that redshirt freshmen quarterbacks (Johnny Manziel & Jameis Winston) have won the last 2 Heisman trophies, and Winston won a national title. Losing a four year starter and replacing him will be tough, but not impossible. I'm not saying Barrett or Jones or Collier are Manziel or Winston, but with having a great supporting cast around them, who knows, they just might be...

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

You have guys listed under returning that have never played a down of college football in their lives and are incoming frosh.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS

OK, I included anyone who looks to be a probable starter this year. That is why Boron/Price, Thomas, C. Smith, Lee, Conley/Reeves, Burrows, and Powell are on the list. While these players have a small sample size, I would expected them to make significant improvements going into 2015 with a full year starting under their belt. Besides, if they are starters and they come back next year... that would make them returning starters (Insert blown-mind face).

I included Green because he lead GT in receiving 2 years ago, it may not translate, but the man has done it at the college level. 

I included Marshal, Dixon, McMillan and Baugh because at one point or another this spring, Meyer has raved about them. I would expect them each to be significant players in two years.

Dodson, Apple, and Booker are the only reaches I included IMO. Dodson could fall of the planet, but he could also unseat Baldwin for the RT job, so he makes the list as a possible returning starter. Obviously nothing has been said about Booker because hes not at OSU yet. I'll admit I included him solely because I have a high opinion of his talents. 

Apple likely shouldn't have been included in my list, so i will begrudge you a single player. Otherwise, I feel this is an accurate portrait of the awesomeness we have to look forward to in 2015. I added no one else that I dont expect to be, at minimum, a key contributor by mid season this year.

-1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I was solely talking about the guys that just arrived from being recruited. They can rave all they want about guys in practice, but it don't mean shit when the season starts. I remember them raving about Bauserman before the '11 season and other guys before and after that have done nothing but stunk it up. I do hope all these kids turn out to be studs though.

+1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, but I'm want Braxton have his senior year and then OSU move on to either the Jones or Barrett era.  I like Braxton a lot, but I'm ready for a more efficient passing game.  

+1 HS

And you think Barrett or Jones will give us that?? I have a hard time believing that either guy will be anywhere near as accurate or efficient as Brax, let alone more accurate and efficient, at least not in their first season at the helm. I know we dont have a good sample size for either player, but if we have a more efficient passing game in 2015, and it is solely due to QB play, and not simply a matter of receivers growing and improving, I'll eat my shoe. As a side note, I dont want to eat my shoe... I like my shoe.

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

From what I've read JT Barrett is a more polished passer at this time than Braxton was. Barrett came out of high school as a more polished passer. I believe our passing game will be better in the future due to better QB play and better WR's. 

carton's picture

Count me in that minority.

My only but not the least concern with BM is with his timing.

His passes seem to be tad late, not allowing to receiver to do anything after catch.

He tend to wait for his receiver to set and clear. 

d5k's picture

He has tended to have mediocre-to-bad WRs in his time at OSU.

Mortc15's picture

While i understand what is being said, you cannot dismiss Braxton's capabilities beyond just throwing the ball. I wish him the best after OSU too but I don't think he will ever be good enough to be solid NFL qb. For the college game though, aside from injuries, he's an elite talent. Heisman trophy caliber. It's not because of his arm only, but the entire package. He has an explosiveness rarely seen in college. JM and Mariota are the only 2 off the top of my head that rivaled him in terms of running from the qb position. HIs accuracy needs work for sure, but what we've witnessed from Braxton has been spectacular, regardless of whether a Conf title, national championship, or Heisman trophy occurs during his 4 years. And if the defense had been better last year, a Conf title would already be his and a national championship appearance at least too.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Please, don't think.

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Haha and you guys shit on my topics...this guy just suggested redshirting our 4 year starting QB.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
Earle's picture

What do you guys think about redshirting Bosa? He could really use a year in the weight room getting his body ready for major college football, I think.

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

might as well add Noah Spence to the list since he is already missing the first 2 games.

DIRECTIONER

BucksFan2000's picture

What about Urban?  Don't want those heart issues flaring up.

In fact, maybe we should redshirt all of college football.  A lot of these guys get hurt and I heard one or two of them have criminal backgrounds.  Things could get violent.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

@oracle gif me Bosa jedi

UFM_Renewal

cwerph's picture

August cannot come soon enough.

+1 HS
USMC11917's picture

Maybe I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. My stance isn't "Hey, Let's Red shirt our Heisman contending Quarterback". It is more, "If this happened, I can see the benefits and other positive things that can come out of it". Their certainly are a lot of condesending responses from fellow Buckeyes. I hate to see that.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Agreed

I season my simple food with hunger

Earle's picture

Lighten up, Francis.  Folks are just having some fun with the concept.  I hate to see fellow Buckeyes taking themselves too seriously.

In the meantime...

Italics are for emphasis.