Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

spring evaluation

johnny11's picture
March 25, 2014 at 11:26pm
17 Comments

With all the news and updates we have available to us now what storylines are you following with the team? What things have intrigued you and disappointed you so far? Defense and offense wise? Any specific platyers or coaches in general you are keeping an eye on? I know its early I just like hearing the staff and posters opinion on here. Go Bucks as always

Knarcisi's picture

Darron Lee was obviously a pleasant surprise. As is Billy Price giving Boren a run at C. Depth on the OL is critical and thought we might be thin his year. Love hearing the D is coming together. Glad to hear about Brionte Dunn. With the talent in front of him, was close to writing him off. Love hearing Dontre Wilson is in the Philly Brown spot. 

Disappointed that we heard Trey Johnson may not have prepared in the offseason. Disappointed that Jalin Marshall gets delayed by another injury. Disappointed that we waited so long for Braxton's surgery that he missed the spring (I know, therapy first, surgery last resort). 

Disappointed we have to wait another 6 months. 

+4 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Very intrigued by the potential of these receivers. I think it could be the best receivers group since the 2006 team with ginn and all those guys. Very interested to see how the back 7 defensively is put together and if we finally start seeing some of the changes we've been wanting. Also looking forward to seeing if the offense changes this year. Was excited to see urban talk about the second level option play with the pass as the second read. Auburn used it alot and it opens up a whole new element to the read option

Seattle Linga's picture

Excited to see Ash and Johnson implement their schemes on the field - 

So excited to see the defense improve

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

They better, or I'll be six feet under. 

CaliforniaBuckeye's picture

All I want to see is a little more of this come back

"The only way we'd get beaten was if we got a little fat-headed, if we didn't train right, if we had dissension on the squad." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
southbay's picture

Didn't Roby hit a guy like that and get tossed out last season?  New rules...

BroJim's picture

Brutal hit. Dumas needed to keep his head up though.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

One of my favorites, +1 to you!

Also, notice Captain Bo Pelini flying in to celebrate with Dumas!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

CaliforniaBuckeye's picture

This day and age there would have been a 15 yard penalty for helmet to helmet, another 15 for unsportsmanlike conduct (Dumas), and probably another 15 for unsportsmanlike conduct on the defense for celebration. Smh

"The only way we'd get beaten was if we got a little fat-headed, if we didn't train right, if we had dissension on the squad." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
johnny11's picture

Im very interested if the change In scheme helps our back 7 on defense. I love competition so I love the position battles at tailback and wide receiver.  Im disappointed in Marshall getting injured.

Brutus1972's picture

I am excited about the defense and the WRs. I am hopeful for the OLine to come together. I am disappointed in Jalin's and Vonn's injuries. I am very disappointed to hear that Trey Johnson may not have prepared in the offseason and that EZE is still playing like a freshman. I am hoping that the EZE thing is just a physchological stab to stoke his fire.

Mortc15's picture

I forget which player said it recently but one mentioned that last year was laid back on defense at practices and that's changed this year. I think that's a telling sign. I love the talk from the players and coaches that they're getting back to the mentality of flying around the field. The learning curve will come as the defense is implemented more and more but it's good to hear they've gone back to basics to begin with and will slowly add more elements after everyone plays fast and loose with the beginning concepts.

Buck-I4Life

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Disappointments:  Marshall injury, Bell injury, Johnson not prepared

Surprises:  Lee, Dunn, and Smith

INTERESTED IN KNOWING:  How is Luke Fickell handling Ash's presence?  From the way things sound, Meyer brought Ash in to change the defense and didn't really give Fickell a choice but to get on board.  Will Fickell be looking to leave for good in the next offseason?  

johnny11's picture

To your last point about Urban bringing in Ash. I think you're right in saying Fickell was basically told get on board. Im glad to hear about Dunn and Rod too. Everybody assumed it was all Elliot, but with them pushing it can only make all of them better.

bucks15's picture

Disappointment: I am a little disappointed that Armani Reeves is still ahead of Conley and Apple on the depth chart.  I know Apple was out with an illness for awhile, but after seeing Armani in the Iowa game and bowl game it scares me that the staff doesn't see a better option than him at the #2 corner spot.  The optimistic side of me wants to say that he has improved tremendously in the off-season, but for whatever reason I think it is more of a testament that Apple/Conely haven't progressed enough to take over.  Watching Iowa's TE outrun him to the endzone still haunts me.

Surprises: Not much of a surprise, but i'm happy to see Michael Thomas as the #2 WR thus far into the off-season.  Also, Herman had glowing things to say about Corey Smith.  Between C. Smith, Thomas, D. Smith, Spencer, Dixon, and Marshall (who I hope tears up fall camp) we should have a fantastic receiving core.  That's not even mentioning that Dontre is taking over Philly's position at H.  A lot of talent, now lets hope Braxton becomes more a distributor.  

saltybuck61's picture

I've said this before, but I actually believe that Armani Reeves had his best game of the year against Clemson. It was one of the first times all year when he didn't look completely lost. The rest of the games were not good, that much is true. However, I would not be shocked to find out that he has turned it around. On top of that, the whole defensive backfield as a unit was terrible last year. Perhaps an improved scheme will help Reeves as well.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

A.R. did play well against Clemson and I would assume that will help propel him to the next level. 

+1 HS