Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Top 3 Rb's of all time?

VickVega24's picture
March 25, 2014 at 11:25pm
58 Comments

So who is it?  Your top 3 running backs of all time at the Ohio State, but let's make a bit of a challenge for those young Bucks.  Who was your top 3 since you have been alive.  I am sure at some point this topic has been covered, but every once in awhile it is worth re-hashing.  Does El Guapo make anyone's list?  I was born in the late 70's so from my memory, My top 3 are:

1)Keith Byars

2)Eddie George

3)Maurice Clarett

Yes, I have Clarett ahead of Beanie..Pittman, Carlos Snow....There was something about Clarett that changed the game.  If he would have stayed the course....probably could have been the Number 1...but this all subjective.....so who do you have?

southbay's picture
  1. Archie Griffin
  2. Keith Byars
  3. Pete Johnson
InTressITrust's picture
  1. Clarett - Only year to go off of is Freshman year.  What could have been.
  2. George - Won a Heisman 
  3. Hyde - Man played with heart and as Jimmy McGinty said you need it to win

Born in 1990

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
johnny11's picture

1. Eddie George

2. Maurice Clarett

3. Beanie wells 

Honorable mention Pittman and Hyde

+1 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

Well said Johnny. I am too young to remember Archie/Keith at OSU, I remember Keith in the NFL. You are spot on with your 3. Eddie has to be first, and then Mo and Beanie had a great run at OSU. So for my life time those would be my choices too.

+1 HS
villagebuckeye's picture

Jeremy, Keith was an even better college player than he was a pro.  That injury he had really set him back and I truly believe he never recovered to be the player he was.  If it weren't for that hail Mary pass from Flutie he would have won the Heisman.  I also remember watching him live lead his hs teams to state titles in both basketball and track. Truly a special player and great team leader.

Seattle Linga's picture

1. A Griffin

2. E George

3. M. Clarett

jamesrbrown322's picture

1. Eddie

2. Beanie

3. Hyde/Byars (I was only 2 when Byars was playing at OSU)

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Knarcisi's picture

1. Eddie George

2. Keith Byars

3. Beanie Wells / Carlos Hyde

Honorable mention to Tim Spencer. Born in '73. After Eddie, really hard to rank them and limit it to 3. 

hodge's picture
  1. Clarett
  2. George
  3. Hyde 

I really wonder how Wells might have fared in Meyer and Warinner's power-run spread.  He'd have been a goddamned monster.

CC's picture

He would still have been hurt.

+3 HS
youngbuck95's picture

1. George

2. Clarett

3. Hyde

You can probably guess when I was born based on how recent everyone on this list is. Along with a helpful hint in the username.

VickVega24's picture

Hodge....it would be damn right scary to see Beanie in Herman's offense......let alone a senior season......

Knarcisi...i decided to keep to 3 because almost everyone would put Griffin, Cassady, and George 123....without seeing them play..so figured a little age restriction and a limit could make it a bit more interesting...

Sometimes you just got say WTF!

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

In my lifetime:

Archie, Keith & Eddie

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

1. Eddie George...watching his Heisman season was a thing of beauty.
2. Mo clarrett...shame we didnt get to see more from him.
3. Beanie wells...if not for the myriad of injuries, could have been number one on this list.

Love hyde, and believe without him there is no 24 game run. But in terms of talent, they hese 3 stack up better. Well, in the case or clarrett, potential.

Baroclinicity's picture

Most of these will end up being the same or very similar since most of us are Archie years or younger. 

Byars

George

Clarett

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

mh277907's picture

Best 3 based solely on talent? Then one could include Clarrett, in my opinion. But I don't believe his one year was better than Beanie's or Carlos' body of work. I was born in '89 so my list would be: 1) Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, 2) Beanie, 3) Hyde.

buckeyebobcat

redfox's picture

1.Archie Griffin

2.Keith Byars

3.Maurice Clarett

JYBUCKEYE's picture

1. Eddie George

2. Keith Byars

3. Raymont Harris 

born in 79

SOF_Buckeye's picture

Born in 62-

Archie Griffin

Keith Byars

Eddie George

Honorable Mention: Wells, Hyde, Clarett

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

chirobuck's picture

Pepe Pearson, Wiley, Jamaal Berry.....in that order

ok not really....born in 81....George, Clarett, Hyde

Honorable mention, Robert Smith, Wells

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

I was waiting for Robert Smith's name to pop up. 

VickVega24's picture

I am surprised there are no Robert Smith fans out there?

Sometimes you just got say WTF!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I loved Smith and he honestly just slipped my mind. I believe I remember seeing him being nominated as the nations best HS Football player just after his senior season. From Euclid if I am not mistaken

osuisnumber1's picture

1.  Griffin

2.  George

3.  Hyde/Byars

Born in 62

-1 HS
RBuck's picture

Archie

Kieth

Eddie

Born when Truman was president.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Horvath22's picture

1. Griffin

2. Cassady

3. Horvath

WezBuck28's picture

1. Griffin
2. George
3. B.Wells/Hyde

ohst8buxCP's picture

1.) George

2.) Clarett

3.) Beanie/Hyde

Born in 93

Buckeye Chuck's picture

My memories go back upwards of 40 years now (yikes), so my answer will be the same as almost anyone in my generation: Griffin, Byars, George (chronological order).

The arguments really begin with the next guy on the list.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Man, so hard to decide. Hmmm, no wrong answer. All-time?:

1.) Archie

2.) Byars

3.) Beanie

if you're saying pre-2000s, I go:

1.) Archie 2.) Byars 3.) Eddie.

Post-2000s:

1.) Beanie 2.) el Guapo 3.) Maurice the Beast.

-1 HS
BAR43's picture

1. Eddie Geroge

2. Hyde

3. Beanie

Although Clarett was a beast for one year I cannot discredit the other guys who were able to stay the course for more than just one year. Not to diminsih anything Clarett did, but there is much more to be said for the guys that had careers not just a season.  What could have been, doesn't really count in my book.

andretolstoy's picture

I was born in '74. I have to say - if it's not a numbers game. I don't believe I've seen one of our RB's dominate the line and defemse like El Guapo did last season.

millertime2011's picture

Dylan, Dylan and Dylan....because he ran hot fire!

+1 HS
tussey's picture

hahaha

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z9lg6HqJeY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

edit:  I guess it's not letting me embed the clip.  here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9lg6HqJeY0

Osurrt's picture

1. Archie Griffin

2. Eddie George

3. Carlos Hyde

Consistency and duplication has to account for something......hence no MoClar as it was 1 spectacular season. It was hard to leave Keith Byars off the list from my time there though.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Consistency and duplication has to account for something......

If that's the case, why isn't Beanie 3rd?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
Osurrt's picture

Close call with Beanie and Hyde......I just looked at Hyde junior and senior years and felt he had the edge. Remember, Hyde rushed for like 1600 yards and missed 3.5 games. That is absolutely beast-like. He carried us on his back over the last half of the season....stopped once all year for a loss, and didn't put the ball on the ground.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

1. Archie
2. Eddie
3. Beanie

Hyde was fantastic the last two years, but i'm not putting him over Wells. People quickly forget how good he was.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
CC's picture

I'll take this as a "while they were at their best" vs. "best career"

Eddie - 314 yards in a game and it wasn't FAMU!

MoC - A legit game changer - the strip in the NC was one of the biggest plays in OSU history

Everybody else (Beanie, Hyde, Pearson, Herron etc)

Born in 75 - Started paying attention in the early 90's.

daveyt11's picture

In my lifetime...

1. Eddie

2. Keith Byars

3. Beanie

bodast67's picture

1) Archie Griffin's Junior season

2) Archie Griffin's Senior season

3) Maurice Clarett's only season.

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+1 HS
fansince1968's picture

1. Archie Griffin

2. Jim Otis

3. John Brockington

+2 HS
Osurrt's picture

Jim Otis and John Brockington? You are pulling out the way-back machine. Do we have any highlights on 16mm film---lol?

+1 HS
fansince1968's picture

I'm looking for the 16mm film, but I haven't found any yet! Lol.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

In my lifetime:

1.  Eddie George

2.  Beanie Wells

3.  Maurice Clarett

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

1. Archie

2. Eddie

3. Beanie

+1 HS
lamplighter's picture

Archie, Eddie and Otis.  Brockington was close - he was a bull. Byars Beanie and Carlos right behind.  Always liked Tim Spencer

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Griffin, George, Byars...in that order.

Honorable mentions to "The Quiet Storm" Raymont Harris and El Guapo.

+1 HS
Humbuck's picture

1. Archie

2. Eddie

3. Carlos/Byars

Although it should be noted that if Braxton Miller goes for about 700 yards rushing this season he will leave OSU as the #2 all time rushing yards and will be behind Archie for several other rushing records. 

If MoC played 4 years at OSU there is a legit chance he would have passed Archie.  Kid was amazing but his short career makes it hard to put him in the top 3 for me. 

southbay's picture

I guess I'm the only Pete Johnson fan.

His numbers were very good when you consider that he was in the same backfield with Archie, and also Corny Greene, for most of his career.  Besides, he was just plain badass.  Five touchdowns in one game...

He also had eight good NFL seasons, mostly with the Bengals, whom he helped get to the Super Bowl.  That has to count for a little something.

MichaelJ721984's picture

While I have been alive...

1. Eddie George

2. Maurice Clarett (ran me over when we were freshman in HS... Im still upset about it LOL)

3. Beanie or Hyde... can't pick

Il_Padrino's picture

1. Archie Griffin

2. Keith Byars

3. Eddie George

** Honorable Mention. Chic Harley

For the Byars fans, here are a couple items that I own. 

Byars OSU helmet (worn throughout his time on the Buckeyes)

Byars Helmet

Byars Helmet

And the game ball that was presented to Byars after the famous 1984 OSU vs Illinois game where Byars put up 274 Yards and 5 TD's.

OSU vs Illinois Game Ball

Anyone have this game (1984 OSU vs Illinois) on video?  Cannot find a single minute of this game.

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

Seattle Linga's picture

That game is not included in this list but here are some good ones to prepare for the upcoming season.

http://hightidevideo.blogspot.com/2013/09/ohio-state-buckeyes-fooball-ga...

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Thanks for the link, good stuff.

I have been looking for game video for years on the game I mentioned.  Hard to believe that one of our most amazing comeback games isn't on video somewhere.  Ugh!

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I hear ya - I am still looking for the LSU comeback from the 80's

+1 HS
Frankly Scarlet's picture

I was born in '68, and while my first memory of OSU football is Archie vs. UCLA, I really can't count what I saw at age 7 or 8. Therefore:

1) Eddie

2) Byars

3) Beanie when healthy.

"Buclkle your chinstrap, we're gonna grind meat!" - Woody Hayes  

Frankly Scarlet's picture

I was born in '68, and while my first memory of OSU football is Archie vs. UCLA, I really can't count what I saw at age 7 or 8. Therefore:

1) Eddie

2) Byars

3) Beanie when healthy.

"Buclkle your chinstrap, we're gonna grind meat!" - Woody Hayes  

allinosu's picture

Beanie, Eddie then Byers.