Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Two lawmakers want one more Big Ten school in Illinois

airbuckeye's picture
March 25, 2014 at 12:39am
25 Comments

The Big Ten is already welcoming two new members – Maryland and Rutgers – to the conference this year. Could another school be joining the conference too? Two Illinois lawmakers hope so.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Illinois Senators Michael Connelly and Matt Murphy have introduced legislation “to study what it would take for Illinois to get one of its current public universities – like Illinois State University or Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville -- to become a Big Ten school.”

The two think tough admissions standards at the University of Illinois are causing many students to continue their educations out of state. Illinois and the private Northwestern are the only two Big Ten schools in the state, and Connelly thinks being a “Big Ten school” carries a lot of weight.

“’Big Ten,’ to me, means a top state school,” Connelly said. “There’s a lot of pride in that. The Big Ten has a cachet and a record of higher academic and athletic excellence. Indiana, Iowa, … they come swooping in, and they’re taking some of our really talented kids out of the state – and sometimes for good, so there’s a talent drain that is there, as well.”

FloridaBuck's picture

No.  Glad they are out there focused on the real problems and using their time as an elected representative in a meaningful way though.

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

“’Big Ten,’ to me, means a top state school,” Connelly said. “There’s a lot of pride in that. The Big Ten has a cachet and a record of higher academic and athletic excellence. Indiana, Iowa, … they come swooping in, and they’re taking some of our really talented kids out of the state – and sometimes for good, so there’s a talent drain that is there, as well.”

So they like that the B1G means elite school and they want to water down the brand to keep more kids in state? Doesn't that seem to defeat the purpose of the B1G? I hate politics. Fortunately the B1G is bigger than just one state.

+4 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Meanwhile, two Ohio lawmakers will introduce legislation designed to attract more unicorns to the state of Ohio. The lawmakers argue that the presence of these magical creatures in their state will boost creativity and overall quality-of life; therefore, they must insist that it happen!

+7 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I don't know if I'm for this. Unless the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns is on equal treading, I say no deal.

+6 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I'm Irish (and German), so I can say this . . . but I'm not sure about an open borders policy on leprechauns. They're apt to have their little hands in the public purse. They'd drive up demand for small-batch whiskeys. Short girls would constantly be molested.

+3 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

like Illinois State University or Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville

Is this from the Sun Times or The Onion?

Unky Buck's picture

At least The Onion posts reasonable stories, like why Pittsburgh is ill-prepared for a zombie apocalypse or breaking news stories, like how Mark Prior signed a 2 year deal with the DL back in 2006.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Some of the Onion stories are genius - another site I go to quite often is:

www.sportspickle.com

+2 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

I think it's safe to say that if the name of your school contains a compass heading, you're never going to be in the Big Ten.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Correct. In no way do I want North Carolina or South Carolina. 

+4 HS
toad1204's picture

Link please.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Hovenaut's picture

Read this earlier off Yahoo News:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/two-lawmakers-want-one-mor...

I love the ISU and So. Illinois namedrop, but no love for Northern Illinois.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

RedStorm45's picture

These two idiots obviously haven't seen Delaney's master plan of "TV MARKETS FTW!!!"  B1G already has the Illinois TV market covered.  Move along.

+3 HS
logamaniac's picture

It's just a chance for these lawmakers to siphon off money for donators as they "find independent firms to research" the possibility.  They don't really think any of those schools would get access so it's a complete non issue. It is an example of why Illinois government budget is crap though

-1 HS
joebuckeye's picture

Poor illinoise, they always believe the pot of gold is just 1 piece of legislation away.

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I didn't know that they had already legalized marijuana in Illinois...I want some of what those guys are smoking.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Was Chicago ever officially removed from the conference?  

Perhaps this is one of those overlooked bylaws, like when Mississippi "forgot" to ratify the 13th amendment to abolish slavery until 2013, thus Chicago is still actually in the B1G...thus Illinois has a 2nd school.

Just thinking out loud here... 

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

There's so much bullshit wrapped up in that article it's laughable.

Go1Bucks's picture

How pray tell, will they increase the academics and athletics standards to even sniff the B1G?  I believe through financial chicanery would be their only means, which - let's face it - they are very good at (see presidential, oops senatorial, ooops, community organizer, oops... not on this website damnit!)   hmmm, lost my train of thought.

Go Bucks!

Seattle Linga's picture

I stopped reading at: Two Lawmakers.......

+2 HS
M Man's picture

This is like the kid who gets cut from his middle school team, and then his parents file a lawsuit to get him a spot on the team.

You just feel so sorry for that kid.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Good thing it won't happen since neither are AAU schools. U of Chicago will rejoin before those two get admitted.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Go1Bucks's picture

Article reviewed before, repeat: never gonna happen. 'Nuff said.

Next...

Go Bucks!